Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can I please have some help with Montale?

I have a credit with them because my order got destroyed by DHL.

I bought Black Aoud blind, and thank goodness it came broken, because I was not pleased with the smell.

I don't have access to anywhere in the area to sniff them out.

I've browsed the Montale directory and the reviews on all of them are VERY love or hate.

Is there anything anyone can recommend to me that's got the great longevity they're known, but is more wearable?

Not that I enjoy avant garde, black aoud seems to have a really nasty rotting rose.

2 that i "think" might be "safe" are Aoud Musk, and Dark Aoud.

Am I way off? Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can I please have some help with Montale?

Aoud Musk is similar to Nasomatto Duro. I don't own Dark Aoud but I've sampled it once or twice and like it and am thinkin' about pickin' it up. So, yeah, I like you're picks.

Post Thanks / Like

Skip Dark Aoud. I just tried it yesterday and was disappointed - rather than "nuclear silage, projection and longevity" I was expecting from reviews, I barely got 2 hours of *very* light skin scent, very similar to Comme des Garcons Wonderwood - other than Wonderwood actually is stronger and lasts longer. Which is not saying much, as I always thought Wonderwood was relatively light to begin with - which makes Dark Aoud rather pitiful and definitely not worth the price. If you like this type of scent, go straight for Wonderwood - at least that one lasts and projects OK, for a ligher type scent.

Don't know about other Montales - this was my first experience with them and I'm not exactly considering trying more anytime soon, unless I can get reasonably priced samples first. Bummer, as now reading more reviews, it seems like with the 2847 different ouds they have on the market, they all seem to have "almost identical" drydown. So if their "top rated" Dark Aoud is so uninspiring and weak, I'm not holding my breath (pun intended) with excitement to try some more. Try a few Comme des Garcons creations if you like more modern, avant garde, woody-smoky fragrances - CdG 2 MAN, for example, is awesome.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Montale white oud is softer (due to saffron). Dark oud and musc oud are darker though but really nice, I own all of them. Montale in general has a unique harsh oud note, it might be what you didn't enjoy in black oud. so make sure that you are comfortable with it before you blind buy.

It might be safer buy samples from falcon Crystal, I recommend heperd.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never heard montale described as very light skin scents! On the contray, they tend to be very, very strong projecting and long lasting scents that are indeed love or hate. Black Aoud is one of their best as can be documented by reviews. If you hate that one, god help you! Montale may not be for you and blind buying would by your first mistake. Dark Aoud is Aoud and Sandalwood; I enjoy it qukte a lot. It is very dry and woody lasting 12 hours +|-. Most all the Montales I have tried are a bit harsh. Perhaps you might like Patchouli Leaves or Aoud Lime. I find Aoud Lime in a similar vein as Black Aoud but with a limey vibe. Perhaps if the product was broken (how do you break an aluminum bottle?) The sheer audacity of a large volume of fragrance choked you out. I can see that!!! One or maybe two sprays is god's plenty... There is a lot of redundancy in Montale. I have tried mosty the Aoud scents. My favorites are Black Aoud, Dark Aoud and Aoud Lime.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the recommendations.
    I don't really want to spend any money on samples though. I literally have the choice of putting in a claim with DHL, or choosing another bottle that they'll send me. This was DHL's fault it seems. I waiting 2 months, and when they found the package it was crushed mostly, and the bottle was destroyed.

What I didn't like about Black Aoud is the rose. I could smell it off of the bottle and on the little pouch. It's not my cup of tea.

I do like what seems to be the oud. It's dark, but nice. I salvaged about 1 ML after I ripped the atomizer off.

Anymore recommendations please?

Post Thanks / Like

Black Aoud is mostly a rose scent for me. I suggest Dark Aoud.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not that I didn't like the scent - I enjoy these weird super dry woodsy and oud based frags. But it was honestly a big weak "meh" for me. I was expecting something stronger, alas on me it turned out not to be the case.

I've read a bunch of reviews and I don't think I'm alone in this opinion. I just saw someone else describe Dark Aoud as very similar to CdG Wonderwood - and as you can see, that's exactly what I got out if it. Oh we'll... maybe I'll try Attar next.

Post Thanks / Like

OP, for what it's worth, I also don't like Black Aoud because of the rose note. I've never had an issue with projection or longevity with any of the Montale frags I've tried, including Dark Aoud.

Also bear in mind that they'll smell very different on your skin than soaked in a bag. I spilled some Lime Aoud on my desk a couple of days ago and the wood is still giving off a very strong, very medicinal oud/rose vibe, like medicated shampoo, whereas on the skin it was much more civilised and attractive. A monster, but one I could live with.

Black Aoud is definitely rosy, and it will smell like oud and roses, but there's a lot more going on: green patchouli, with a sort of lemon verbena note; and a very nice ambery drydown. Both Lime and Black are similar to my nose, with Black being more complex and Lime being more direct.

The Ultimate Smell
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Black Aoud! One of the better scents out there with those incredibly crispy and dark roses, it's fantastic!

Red Aoud is the most easy to like in their aoud line up, it's a gourmand twist on oud which comforting but at the same time unique

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your input!

I think i have spent far too much time this evening researching this house.

I think i have learned that, annoyingly, nearly all of their frags share a certain bond. So if you don't like whatever this is, you most likely won't like X.

I knew i was taking a huge leap of faith blind buying Black Aoud. But its become such a disaster, i think i will actually opt to file an insurance claim. And possibly pick up a small group of samples.

Try Attar or Aoud Ever.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the Montale ouds at all, Dark Aoud in particular will highlight the sharp, metallic nature of whatever "oud" they're using which to me smells like a wood shop where someone left a thick oak plank in the bandsaw too long.

That said the Aoud Cuir d'Arabie is an amazing leather that to me at least has little or none of that harsh oud note. Regardless for oud I much prefer the Kilian concoctions, try Pure Oud which is great for layering or Extreme Oud which is a delicious and complete fragrance on its own.

Try Blue Amber for almost linear amber scent with neverending longevity or White Aoud for creamy vanilla oud.
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Louban for a brooding dusty rose, Red Aoud for a sweet oud, Aoud Forest for a bright floral marine 'down at the seashore' smell, Cuir d'Arabie if you are brave and like an animalistic leather and oud, Chocolate Greedy if you like to smell like chocolate syrup, Moon Aoud for a bandaid dry aoud smell, White Aoud for a tamer Aoud.
    For Sale: Gengis Kahn, Mona d' Orio, Penhaligons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Red Aoud is the most easy to like in their aoud line up, it's a gourmand twist on oud which comforting but at the same time unique
    Agree. Red Aoud is my next Montale purchase . Aoud Lime is nice as well.
    Tom Ford Splits Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

I hated Black Aoud but find Dark Aoud a much more wearable frag and I would consider buying it. A good incense is Full Incense. it reminds me of Avignon but seems drier. Nice stuff. The rest of the line does nothing for me.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely LOVE Black Aoud despite not being a huge fan of it at first. You have to wear it for a day or two trust me it grows on you. Having said that if you don't want to buy a bottle of it I get it. I've heard fantastic things about Oud Cuir D'Arabie, but being that you hate Black Aoud that might not be your thing. Aoud Leather is supposed to be a smoother version of Cuir D'Arabie, maybe that's more up your alley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I have a credit with them because my order got destroyed by DHL.

I bought Black Aoud blind, and thank goodness it came broken, because I was not pleased with the smell.

I don't have access to anywhere in the area to sniff them out.

I've browsed the Montale directory and the reviews on all of them are VERY love or hate.

Is there anything anyone can recommend to me that's got the great longevity they're known, but is more wearable?

Not that I enjoy avant garde, black aoud seems to have a really nasty rotting rose.

2 that i "think" might be "safe" are Aoud Musk, and Dark Aoud.

Am I way off? Help!
    Maybe you could try with "non aouds" as Blue Amber and Sweet Oriental Dream. Masterpieces in my opinion.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Black Musk IMO is very very similar to Black Aoud without the rose.

Post Thanks / Like

Safe and Montale really do not go together unless you're talking a fragrance like fougeres marines, which is a good scent. Never a good Idea to blind buy anything. Always pays to sample. Montale is fun line to sample through. There are tons with lots of hits and misses. Some are just average or horribly done but there are a lot of great ones to check out. It just depends on taste really. My personal favorites from Montale are Dark Aoud, Red Vetyver, Aoud Musk and full incense. There are so many others though that I really enjoy as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Having recently bought bottles of Black and White Aoud, they seem much weaker than they used to be. However, new bottles of Chypre Vanille, Louban and Moon Aoud seem fine, so it's a crap shoot. Blue Amber, Red Aoud and Patchouli Leaves are other favorites, along with Greyland.

Lime>Dark>Attar>Red in that order...

Post Thanks / Like

I sampled quite a few recently and most I didn't care for at all. Full Incense and Red Vetyver were the only ones (that I sampled) that I would consider for a full bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    I barely got 2 hours of *very* light skin scent, very similar to Comme des Garcons Wonderwood - other than Wonderwood actually is stronger and lasts longer.
    I find them to be nothing alike, but I can see where you are coming from if one focuses entirely on the synthetic oud and sandalwood accords. I find Dark Aoud to be a starker scent, but a very light skin scent it isn't. Often after just picking up my decant I catch wafts of the scent of Dark Aoud for several hours.

I wouldn't call Dark Aoud their top scent, but it does have a cult following.

To be honest I seen Lime Aoud and Black Aoud recommended more often. You could also try a non-oud scent like Red Vetyver.

Post Thanks / Like

Get your money from DHL. Seems that they use the same oud base for all of their oud frags and just all in other ingredients on top. Aoud Musk is the only one I can wear since the musk seems to sweeten and soften the dry, overpowering oud.

How did you get Montale to ship to you? Cant tell if you are in the US or not.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I find them to be nothing alike, but I can see where you are coming from if one focuses entirely on the synthetic oud and sandalwood accords.
    It's similar in the drydown, not in the first 20 minutes, for sure. I much prefer Wonderwood in this stage, though.

I find Dark Aoud to be a starker scent, but a very light skin scent it isn't. Often after just picking up my decant I catch wafts of the scent of Dark Aoud for several hours.
    I wish I could say the same. All the reviews were indicating massive strength, but there seem to be at least a few people on this forum and that "other" fragrance review site that also get not much projection or silage from Dark Aoud, so there is something in my/our skin that makes this a very weak fragrance. If you get great projection from it, good for you. On me it's a very light skin scent. This is not an indication of a "bad" scent - I do like it, I just wish it was a LOT stronger (on my skin) as it's really really light on me.

To be honest I seen Lime Aoud and Black Aoud recommended more often. You could also try a non-oud scent like Red Vetyver.
    I have Acqua di Parma Oud Concentree which I understand is similar to Lime Aoud, though "more interesting" from what I'm reading between the lines. I enjoy Oud Concentree a lot - not to mention it lasts 12+ hours and projects VERY nicely. Red Vetyver - haven't tried it, but many reviews say it's very similar to Terre d'Hermes - which I own both EDT and Pure Parfum of, and like a lot. Therefore Red Vetyver just sounds like a redundant purchase.

What about Full Incense? Worth trying, or should I stick with the original, CdG Avignon? Seems like these two are also very similar, but Avignon gets more kudos for quality and composition.

What about trying Black Musk? it doesn't have the heavy, beautiful rose of Black Aoud and you may find it more wearable. I would also recommend Aoud Lime and Full Incense as wearble alternates. Perhaps it may be an idea to avoid the Montale Aouds altogether as most of them figure rose somewhere in the composition to a lesser or greater degree.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest trying a few more of their Aouds since you think it may have be the rose that spoiled Black Aoud for you. Some of their non-aouds are very nice too. I would suggest trying:

Golden Aoud
    White Aoud
    Wild Aoud
    Red Aoud
    Musk to Musk
    Embruns d'Essaouira
    Red Vetyver
    Blue Amber
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Get your money from DHL. Seems that they use the same oud base for all of their oud frags and just all in other ingredients on top. Aoud Musk is the only one I can wear since the musk seems to sweeten and soften the dry, overpowering oud.

How did you get Montale to ship to you? Cant tell if you are in the US or not.
    Yeah i went ahead with the claim yesterday. I have family back home that set up the purchase for me.

I went ahead and purchased a few samples of what sounded the most interesting to me. Dark Aoud still has my attention the most.

Even the little bit i have of Black Aoud is starting to grow on me. Definitely not something i can say i even like though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post

I have Acqua di Parma Oud Concentree which I understand is similar to Lime Aoud, though "more interesting" from what I'm reading between the lines. I enjoy Oud Concentree a lot - not to mention it lasts 12+ hours and projects VERY nicely. Red Vetyver - haven't tried it, but many reviews say it's very similar to Terre d'Hermes - which I own both EDT and Pure Parfum of, and like a lot. Therefore Red Vetyver just sounds like a redundant purchase.

What about Full Incense? Worth trying, or should I stick with the original, CdG Avignon? Seems like these two are also very similar, but Avignon gets more kudos for quality and composition.
    Apologies, these were my suggestions for the OP. I should've been clearer. I haven't tried full incense, but I'm a big fan of Avignon, so I'm happy to stick with it, especially as it was my last full bottle purchase (and current scent of the day)