Code of Conduct
o
    Basenotes Member

Question Own 0 bottles, want a summer frag, dislike zest.

I'm 21 and I've never owned a bottle of fragrance. Body washes, deodorants and antiperspirants project like crazy on me (several meters) so I've turned towards unscented or very lightly scented products. Also a lot of those strongly scented products tended to turn sour/develop a metallic note/do other nauseating stuff. Maybe its Nivea/Old Spice/Adidas etc. cheaping out on the Eastern European market and using inferior chemicals in their polish plants. Probably a common chemical that doesn't agree with me, but I digress. That stuff smells cheap and bad to begin with and I don't want it.

I'm looking for a summer scent (or several) for day wear and night wear and I'd like you to give me suggestions. here is stuff that I've tested in the last week (not necessarily summer).

Burberry London - quite good but there was something bothering me about it, will have to test again in the future.

Le Male - very good, like it a lot. Its still 5 C here and I think it might be annoying during the summer.

Issey Miyake l'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme summer 2013 - a good scent, just not a fan of zest, never liked the smell or taste of it, not bad but I'd rather not.

Allure Homme Edition Blanche - again zest, smelled like some kind of a lemon cake. Wasn't bad, maybe I'll try again in the future.

Bleu de Chanel - smells like something my mother wore or smelled like , nty, not too terribly fond of it on myself.

Aqua Fahrenheit - EEEEEK! Hurl! Reminds me of some of those Nivea antiperspirants. I don't know if my nose detects a group of chemicals differently or what, but if I had applied this on my neck and it was actually warm I would have projectile vomited then and there with 100% certainty.

I like different citrus fruits, just not their zest or leaves (zesty too). As for price, I'm willing to pay 1.5€ per ml for a fragrance that I like. So those fabled Creeds are within my reach (checked cheapsmells.com)

Niche scents are not sold in this country, I'll have to order samples from abroad. Are there any good EU based, non-UK sample providers?

Basenotes Member

Default Re: Own 0 bottles, want a summer frag, dislike zest.

Check out some Yves Saint Laurent.

Check out Paco Rabbane

+1 definitely was gonna suggest Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme and of course the masterpiece Gucci Pour Homme II,

Basenotes Member

I did look for some YSL to test but don't think they sell that in this country. Only offerings by Paco Rabbane that they had was a shelf full of 1 Million stuff, nothing else. Won't hurt to test it out. Will do that tomorrow, that and Acqua di Gio. Id rather not smell like every other guy (not many actually wear cologne here) but it won't hurt to try.

By YSL I am interested in L'Homme, La Nuit and M7, if I can find a place to order samples, they don't seem like summer fragrances though.

Basenotes Member

IMO- YSL is lighter than ADG..... and to add to ADG- even if it's smelling like "every other guy"- it's still a great scent that many have come to love.

But remember- we're all different- so one may smell great to me- yet horrible to you.

Eau Fraiche
    Nil by Hermes
    Versace PH
    Bvlgari PH Extreme
    Dior Homme Sport 2008 or 2012(better imo)
    L'homme
    If you like ADG you might wanna look at 360 Red by Perry Ellis. It's a better adg.

IMO La Nuit and M7 may get cloying in the summer, yet some people wear whatever fragrance they want to wear year round, it's all personal preference.

L'Homme on the other hand is a year round fragrance imo. However L'Homme does have ginger and lemon which starts off initially with a zesty type vibe, but it isn't as prominent as the zest in Edition Blanche for instance.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by SmellingGood101 View Post
    IMO- YSL is lighter than ADG..... and to add to ADG- even if it's smelling like "every other guy"- it's still a great scent that many have come to love.

But remember- we're all different- so one may smell great to me- yet horrible to you.
    Of course, if I really like it I'll wear it. Aqua Fahrenheit has 15 pos, 5 neutrals 2 negs here, almost made me throw up. Looking at the notes I have no idea what it was. Will have to test extensively.

Perhaps I'll just have to get used to the zest and learn to love it, all of the zesty ones were quite pleasant when it finally died down.
    Last edited by Herbivore; 1st May 2013 at 05:35 PM.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Monsieur Balmain by Balmain
    Yachting by Pascal Morabito

Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Bart's
    MadHat Scents

Oud Gulab - Ruh Gulab, Taif Rose, Ambergris, Tobacco and Thai Oud

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Bart's
    Excellent recommendation. Smells wonderful and lasts a good time for an aquatic.

Blog Entries

Another vote for L'Homme by YSL and Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci... both very versatile fragrances. My additional suggestion would be Silver Mountain Water by Creed.

versace pour homme ..

I'll offer a niche choice and a designer choice that I think would work pretty well:

Niche: Original Vetiver. I know you said you don't like zest (not entirely sure what that means since most of a citrus' smell comes from natural oils in the skin), but Original Vetiver is very natural smelling. It has a nice, light, crisp lemon note that is just awesome, and the subtle, clean vetiver makes it a serious winner for spring/summer, but it can also be used year round. You can find it for like $130 for 4oz, which is a steal in my book.

Designer: As far as designer summer fragrances go, I'd say Burberry Brit wouldn't be a bad option. I'm not a huge fan myself since it comes off a little powdery, but the citrus is balanced well with ginger and a few others to make it not so cloying or assertive.

Still, out of the two, Original Vetiver wins by a loooooong shot. Not really fair to compare them, but I think you get what I'm saying.

I suppose I'm kind of a niche snob, even though I hate that term.

Basenotes Member

Ty for your suggestions, still looking around for a good place to order samples from.

Today I tried Bleu de Chanel again from a different tester bottle. The one I tried yesterday was pure flowers, but the one I tried today was a very masculine and good scent. The other one must have gone off.

Tried Edicion Blanche again, good scent but had a disinfectant vibe to it that when I pressed my nose into my arm, turned into pickle juice on the second whiff. Don't know what to think about that.

Aqua di Gio Essenza, good but nothing too special.

Is it possible that you are testing fake fragrances? Ive heard that eastern Europe is flooded with them, especially the very popular Chanels, Armani and 1 Milly. Fake bottles are near perfect now but they smell awful.
    Creed OV and MI are great, natural summer fragrances. Its hard to find fresher fragrances than those. Nautica Voyage is a good one for very cheap. Not very natural but a good floral, aquatic.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Banned
    Blog Entries

chrome sport and chrome legend are pretty good none lemony aquatics.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Is it possible that you are testing fake fragrances? Ive heard that eastern Europe is flooded with them, especially the very popular Chanels, Armani and 1 Milly. Fake bottles are near perfect now but they smell awful.
    Creed OV and MI are great, natural summer fragrances. Its hard to find fresher fragrances than those. Nautica Voyage is a good one for very cheap. Not very natural but a good floral, aquatic.
    I tested them in a bigger shopping center, not in a store that is rented by someone but from one that is the owner's. For them to be fake they'd have to have entered the official supply lines. I'd never dare to buy from a market or from a street vendor. It could be that the tester bottle was just years old.

By non-zesty I mean that I want a light citrus scent/no citrus. Too strong citrus stings my nose almost. Cut up citrus fruit = fine. Pile of zest or the process of making zest = not good.

I ordered a sample of Millesime Imperial. Supposedly has a very good citrus that disappears in 15 minutes.

You can order samples from these stores, both located in Germany.

www.ausliebezumduft.de

http://shop.essenza-nobile.de

Try FM Vetiver Extraordinaire, MPG Baime and PdE Eau de Gloire.

treeman5823

New York by Parfums de Nicolai.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    New York by Parfums de Nicolai.
    Personally I find this to have a very powdery smell...not my type of summer fragrance at all.

----------------------------------------------
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Member

Today I tried Chanel Allure Homme - I like this a lot, doesn't seem like a summer scent though, not that the summers are any warm over here...

Allure Homme Sport - Light citrus, like this too, more than Edition Blanche. No disinfectant vibe, but it does have the slight pickle juice thing, a lot less than Edition Blanche though. Might be the citrus that is doing it. I'll have to test both on paper to see if its my skin.

- - - Updated - - -

Just ordered samples of

Heeley - Sel Marin EdP
    Parfumerie Générale - Cologne Grand Siecle No.7 EdT
    Heeley - Oranges and Lemons, say the Bells of St. Clement's
    Frapin - L'Humaniste
    Heeley - Menthe Fraîche EdP
    Byredo Parfums - Pulp
    Comptoir Sud Pacifique - Coco Figue
    Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle - J.C. Ellena - Bigarade Concentrée
    Xerjoff XJ - 1861
    Creed - Original Vetiver
    Creed - Silver Mountain Water
    Creed - Virgin Island Water
    Creed - Aventus

From the sites that Luca linked to, hope there is some stuff that I like in there. How should I best go about testing them? First on my arm and then a full wear the next day?