Code of Conduct

Default Number of sprays

Hello, my daily routine of sprays is :
    -1x to the left side and 1x to the right side of neck (2x total)
    -1x to the base of neck

Would i get more projection/sillage if i doubled the sprays on the sides of my neck, so :
    -2x left side and 2x right side (4x total) ?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Number of sprays

You would get better projection but I think you'd get olfactory fatigue very quickly. I go one spray on each wrist and one spray on each side of the neck. Try to spread out your sprays from your torso up for better performance.

3-4 sprays ensure decent and mostly sufficient longevity and projection with most fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by c1881 View Post
    Hello, my daily routine of sprays is :
    -1x to the left side and 1x to the right side of neck (2x total)
    -1x to the base of neck
    This routine is fine IMO.

Spraying on the front of your body too close to your nose usually leads to olfactory fatigue -- you'll stop smelling the fragrance long before others do. I recommend the chest and stomach, maybe sides of the body, inner elbows (above forearms) and sometimes the back of the neck. Not necessarily ALL of these, but as places to consider. It's easy to overspray due to olfactory fatigue, too. You might be surprised at how effective just two-to-four sprays can be.

Blog Entries

It REALLY depends on the fragrance. Some like Creed Himalaya, and most Penhaligon's are ZERO projectors. They smell nice only at very close range. I wear them on my neck and upper chest to let the heat rise the scent to my nose. No one else smells them. Some are MONSTER projectors...Bond no 9 fragrances, Montale fragrances. These I NEVER spritz on my chest/neck b/c I get blasted out by the smell very quickly. Belly or legs and the heat disperses it.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

do what suits you. but yes using sprays will increase sillage _ projection.

for swap/sale:

I just tought that the first spray is absorbed by the skin, so the second immediately comes as a layer on the first.

Also what would be the best distance from bottle/sprayer to my skin (5-10 cm) when spraying?

Thanks

Basenotes Member

I've noticed that the distance from where you hold the bottle actually makes a difference.

For strong scents like A*Men, I hold it a foot away. If I spray it up-close, it becomes too cloying.

But for weaker fragrances like YSL L'homme, I spray it point blank. It doesn't get misted as much, giving me a more concentrated shot on a pulse point.

Blog Entries

I've given this analogy before. If you took a bottlecap full of gasoline/petrol and carefully dumped in in the middle of your garage floor, you will get a localized smell of gas you could only smell by standing over it. BUT if you poured the same amount into an atomizer, spritzed it around your garage the entire garage would be overwhelmingly full of strong gasoline smell. That is why I never 'daub' samples on but use an atomizer. The difference is drastic.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This routine is fine IMO.
    Thanks hednic, my idea was just to double these sprays on sides of neck, because i had a theory that the first spray is absorbed by the skin and immediately the second one comes as an layer...so that would be 5 sprays to the neck (front, left, right)

One more question - when you say side of the neck do you mean near the earlobes or?

It depends on the scent, but I spray on all pulse points AND also on inner elbows AND on top of wrists.