Code of Conduct

Thread: Scammer alert?

Default Scammer alert?

STARSHIPVELCRO has taken money from several members for splits recently and has not delivered the goods. He has also failed to respond to their requests, as well as ours, for clarification despite being on the site. Although he had previously completed other splits, we have to advise you to not do any deals with this member at this time.

Default Re: Scammer alert?

I can vouch for SSV.

I'm sure something major has come up.

for swap/sale:

I always thought he was a good egg too. Something must have happened.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I always thought he was a good egg too. Something must have happened.
    Yes, l think so too.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I was referred to this thread by hedonist...I honestly don't know what to say....I have been so busy these last few months I have no idea what has happened to my splits.

When I completed splitting the contents I prepared everything to go with the information given to me...I received confirmation from many they received theirs through email, but just now from checking basenotes I see that is not the case. I cannot image what has happened to the missing packages. They were sent out the same way every one of my shipments has been, which never had a problem before.

No scammers here - too many stripes on for that.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    I was referred to this thread by hedonist...I honestly don't know what to say....I have been so busy these last few months I have no idea what has happened to my splits.

When I completed splitting the contents I prepared everything to go with the information given to me...I received confirmation from many they received theirs through email, but just now from checking basenotes I see that is not the case. I cannot image what has happened to the missing packages. They were sent out the same way every one of my shipments has been, which never had a problem before.
    From my own prior experience, it is best to get tracking numbers for US first class mail, email the tracking number to your split-partner and track it for them. One time Universal Perfumes had sent me an expensive Creed Shipment and it never came. I tracked it with the tracking number and my postmaster found my Substitute mailman with it in his mail truck. The dweeb had been driving around for days with the package, but never delivered it because it was a sign-for package. I couldn't live without tracking numbers. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post

You sure bout that? Not only me, but several of us who joined the split did not even get a reply from you when we pm-ed you. We even pm-ed each other to ask if either one had received the split. Requested the tracking receipt number from you but was ignored as well. Been thru so many splits and tracking receipt number was given to me without fail. If shipments were sent, as you claimed, do provide the tracking receipt number, thanks. Member like TaiTran, who participated in 3 split of yours, received no follow up from you. It hard to believe from your part of the story, proof it. Been such a long time since the split was closed.

Regards,
    Rex

I recieved a split from ssv as well. He mentioned something bad has happened when i inquired what was taking so long.

I highly doubt this is a "SCAM". Such accusations should probably be reserved for members who have not established such a trustworthy record over the years.

Some of the worst cases of scamming came from long time members with previously good marketplace feedback. We are awaiting the tracking number confirmation from those involved. Please know that Basenotes has no responsibility for deals gone bad as stated in the rules. However, we do alert the community if multiple members complain about non-delivery after funds have been received and after one month has passed. Such is the case here. If these deals are made right this thread will be removed.
    Last edited by stuigi; 6th May 2013 at 12:55 AM.

It should be as a rule to have tracking number pm'ed/emailed at all times, on all splits/solds.

I agree, but that would require everyone to ship by Priority and it is expensive.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    I agree, but that would require everyone to ship by Priority and it is expensive.
    Not any longer. Delivery confirmation is available with First Class Mail, but must be sent as packages, not letters.

I am now using stamps.com for all of my splits. It can also send an e-mail to the recipient alerting them a package is on the way and also sends delivery confirmation numbers, which saves me a ton of time by no longer having to PM everyone with the information.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    Some of the worst cases of scamming came from long time members with previously good marketplace feedback. We are awaiting the tracking number confirmation from those involved. Please know that Basenotes has no responsibility for deals gone bad as stated in the rules. However, we do alert the community if multiple members complain about non-delivery after funds have been received and after one month has passed. Such is the case here. If these deals are made right this thread will be removed.
    ( i think i learnt this the hardest way....i just saw this thread for the first time....was not looking before, i had the idea basenotes is the place where only honest people with real interest in perfumes come...much safer then e-bay!(((

the person took 435 usd from me...told me that he lost tracking number, and that he is so sorry............the seller did not look like honest guy from the start, but his great rating 174 postive feedbacks made me believe all will turn out fine!!

i went to check on him while i was still covered by 45 days policy and stumbled upon another member who said that she would trust him no matter, that he is only slow, beeign a little disorganized, and kept me calmed down, she told me i should wait 3 months....even that she will help me to get my money back....
    i payed via paypal, with my american express card...does anyone knows if there is some 3 months credit card rule? becasue i can not figure out any other reason why this person who was not a seller suddenly stopped talking to me??

i feel like i have been scammed 2 times! from 2 persons, and the only explanation is they worked together?

i dont care about the money anymore...i realized now it was a scam!!! but i wish to say to everyone not to rely on feedback soley!! and its more important who do you buy from then WHAT you buy!! i was focused on lovely perfumes and did not see clearly that i have been lied to so blatantly!! and given stupid explanations!

i wish i can call someone and explain my situation...i kept quiet for 3 long months, please moderators?
    Last edited by iivanita; 13th May 2013 at 08:58 PM.

Please know that ivanita's complaint is not about starshipvelcro.

Regarding making the shipping confirmation mandatory- I agree it would be a good thing, but there are so many here who complain about the site rules, particularly as they pertain to the marketplace, that instituting shipping requirements would create too much backlash.

Dear all,

I eventually received decants from our good friend starshipvelcro.
    Please see the image here http://i.imgur.com/iTDEtij.jpg
    I guess they had to pass through much hardship to reach me.

Patrick, thanks for your effort, and I am sorry for the confusion. You are a trust-worthy splitter and I will be happy to buy from you again.

stuigi, thank you for your support. I truly appreciate your unmatched diligence. Kindly see to my receipt confirmation to consider the best course for this case.

My fellows who participate in starshipvelcro's splits, I believe your decants are well on their way. I wish you the luck I have had to receive the splits successfully, and happily.

Best Regards,
    TaiTran

I am glad you finally received your decants. If I get confirmation of received goods from the others involved I will delete this part of the thread.

Still waiting for additional confirmations over one year later, and now this member is doing the same thing with his sale thread.

Basenotes Plus

I'm afraid I have to add negative comment to this thread. A few months ago I purchased an item from starshipvelcro, sent payment, then haven't heard from him for I think 2-3 weeks despite numerous PMs and emails sent. Eventually re-appeared, apologizing for being busy with school, and then shipped the item - though never sent the tracking number that he promised he would (and I followed up via PM and email couple times, never got response, the package just arrived one day out of the blue).

Recently I paid for another item he had listed for sale, sent payment, he acknowledged it, etc. Amazing that when it comes to initial sale and taking money he responds very quickly. Well, the story has repeated itself - couple weeks went by with no response, finally re-appeared with an excuse he was sick, in a hospital for a week, then that he was busy with school again, then that he's moving with his family to a new house at the end of the month and his life's a mess. He promised to ship the item out and send me the tracking number. Couple days went by, and it got worse. He sent a PM that the item I paid for 2+ weeks earlier has already been sold a while back. Saving grace is he offered to send PayPal refund and did deliver on that promise within 24 hours (thank you for that).

Sorry, starshipvelcro, but you need to get your life in order if you want people to trust you. I didn't give you negative feedback thinking perhaps this was a one-time incident, but seeing as others are also running into similar issues... I hope you can either remove your sales thread until you get things sorted out, or treat it a little more seriously - people get kind of funny when it comes to sending money to a stranger and the stranger disappears for weeks at a time.

I have heard enough. starshipvelcro has been banned from the marketplace.