Code of Conduct
    treeman5823

Default Do Guerlains Go Bad?

Have you ever smelled a vintage Guerlain bottle that has turned? I hear they keep well due to preservatives.

(P.S.--I just realized that this should probably go in the general fragrance forum. Oh well.)

Default Re: Do Guerlains Go Bad?

I once bought a 30 year old, half-empty bottle of shalimar and it was still good.

I can only speak for mine which are very old, and they have very well stood the test of time.

Hopefully, I can get my hands on a vintage bottle to find out.

Post Thanks / Like

The Guerlains I have owned kept themselves in a quite good state over time.

I have never smelled Vol de Nuit Extrait older than 1980/90s that had not partly turned. Their owners were happy with it, but it's (it's the florals in the comp I think) not to my liking. Mitsouko does not age well either and my rec would be to get a vintage PdT as they seem to have preserved well. L'Heure Bleue tends to lose its shining, clear quality from the florals when too old and L'Heure Bleue is all about its heliotrope mix to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I have never smelled Vol de Nuit Extrait older than 1980/90s that had not partly turned. Their owners were happy with it, but it's (it's the florals in the comp I think) not to my liking. Mitsouko does not age well either and my rec would be to get a vintage PdT as they seem to have preserved well. L'Heure Bleue tends to lose its shining, clear quality from the florals when too old and L'Heure Bleue is all about its heliotrope mix to me.
    I'm surprised that VdN extrait doesn't age that well - especially when you hear so much about the vintage being better than the current parfum. I'd love to find out what all the fuss is about (am working on it). As for the others, does it at least partly depend on whether the bottle has been opened or not? Or will they all turn irrespective of storage conditions? I'm also saving up for old Mitsouko parfum but admit to feeling nervous when I read that it doesn't age that well.
    Last edited by saminlondon; 7th May 2013 at 05:00 PM.

saminlondon, sure, things get worse when stored disadvantageously and sealed, unopened bottles are better. Paramount IMO is storage over years in its original package (and contents near full in bottle) away from light.
    I have had vintage Vol de Nuit extrait samples and decants from at least three different sources and vintages over the years. All were at least partly turned and the 1950/60s extrait I remember was unwearable. I gave away all these decants in the meantime. donna here on basenotes once quoted Roja Dove, I think I recall correctly, confirming the issue with Vol de Nuit when we had a discussion on it. Funnily enough, I once had a sample of the vintage EdT, which was perfectly fine (but so fleeting). The current Vol de Nuit Extrait is held in high regards here by all, who know it. It seems to be maybe in basenoters' view the most successful reformulation ever. It also lasts longer on me, which is rather unusual. Vintage Vol de Nuit Extrait (I have early 2000s and early 1990s) is fairly 'unreliable' and IMO prone to 'skin influences' (remainders of previous fragrances on skin)
    letting it collapse after what is 3 hours.
    I'm not at all an expert for Mitsouko, but the PdT is appreciated by many. I use it in combination with the current extrait and I must say I find them fairly close with the PdT of course being 'mossier'.