Code of Conduct

Default Do you really care for your fragrances?

I'm asking because most of the time I don't choose my favorite scents and I just grab something as part of every days hygiene ritual.

There are certain fragrances I use for special occasions that make me feel good though but most of the time I'll take something casual.

How do you handle your hobby?

treeman5823

Default Re: Do you really care for your fragrances?

I really don't think of perfume buying as a hobby so much as it is art collecting (which, to some, may in fact be a hobby). Anyway, I mostly wear perfume when I'm home for me to smell. When I'm out, I usually just go for Habit Rouge or Jicky.

I'm also a collector of sorts. Yes, its a hobby, but I enjoy collecting certain houses that impress me.

I will say that I do have a emotional connection with many of my fragrances, I have fragrances that I associate with nostalgia, good times (something good happening while wearing it), bad times, and than...well...ahem...sexy times, haha

Its why I find it difficult to part with any fragrance that has spoken to me on some level. I feel that connection with my collection. Maybe its an early warning sign of being a hoarder as well though, so yeah, take it with a grain of salt.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

I have been a collector for almost four decades and in my case, I choose my fragrances for my collection according to certain personal guidelines that I have established for myself. As for what I choose to wear from my collection on any given day, for me there are no fixed rules. I simply wear what compels me at the time.

Just like many things in life, i don't like to be bounded by some unnecessary rules, so there would not be any specific scent for a specific occasion here.
    Last edited by CX827; 3rd May 2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: hallo! have you seen my poodle?

I only wear fragrances that I really want to smell. Everyday is precious, so I don't just put something on - I choose and then I enjoy

Randomly. Rarely plan unless it's something new I just purchased. When going to a special event, I contemplate what to spray just like I'm trying to decide what to wear (which may take some time.)

I care for all of them deeply - to the point where they all call me "Mommy", which I know is crazy because I'm a dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I only wear fragrances that I really want to smell. Everyday is precious, so I don't just put something on - I choose and then I enjoy
    Me too.
    The same with everything else.

I try to weed out fragrances that I don't reach for at least occasionally. Each day when I wake up I think about what I'm in the mood for that day and wear it. So that day, the scent I select is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    I care for all of them deeply - to the point where they all call me "Mommy", which I know is crazy because I'm a dude.
    lol... Nice.

I do care for all of them and I wear what I like...
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

I keep all of my babies hidden away in a drawer in my basement as a source of guilt/shame...It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    LOL I think I love you!!
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

I care about all of them. Each cologne has character and personality, to varying degrees of course. I almost never leave the house without wearing something, and for me, the occasion has to be worthy of the cologne. As in, going to get a hair cut and going to the bank doesn't warrant TdH, but family dinner does.

Blog Entries

I care for my fragrances for sure. I enjoy the collecting aspect and picking out what to wear for the day.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

I wear what I'm in the mood for on each day, but do try and make sure each of my babies gets a little regular attention...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Randomly. Rarely plan unless it's something new I just purchased. When going to a special event, I contemplate what to spray just like I'm trying to decide what to wear (which may take some time.)
    Exactly my approach, too.

I also occasionally just wear something to use it up (last one was Davidoff Echo), so I can justify buying something new, and completely unrelated (Tom of Finland).

I like to switch it up everyday, but I care for all my fragrances. I take a sniff from the bottles once in awhile if I don't use them

I do. I enjoy wearing, it's a pleasure. I don't care much about collecting per se.

I don't differentiate much between everyday wear fragrances and the ones for special occasions. I have chosen most or all of them knowing full well that I like, love, enjoy them and will do so in future.
    Thus, it's my personal everyday experience of happiness, enjoyment, rather than a simple, mechanical, unimportant gesture, whenever I use one of my fragrances almost daily, as well when I collect fragrances on regular, even if not that frequent, basis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonsisa View Post
    I'm asking because most of the time I don't choose my favorite scents and I just grab something as part of every days hygiene ritual.
    I'm like you - except for when I'm testing something.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Some I care for more, some less. If a scent has no desirable effect on me whatsoever I'd sell it as I'd feel it's a bit boring/waste of time as one could wear something more exciting.
    Some are a bit borderline (e.g. Pure Malt...top notes, yummy, then pretty forgettable as I can't smell it much, Mugler Cologne and other fresh scents) and they may find themselves on Ebay one day.

Quote Originally Posted by RunSun View Post
    I'm also a collector of sorts. Yes, its a hobby, but I enjoy collecting certain houses that impress me.

I will say that I do have a emotional connection with many of my fragrances, I have fragrances that I associate with nostalgia, good times (something good happening while wearing it), bad times, and than...well...ahem...sexy times, haha

Its why I find it difficult to part with any fragrance that has spoken to me on some level. I feel that connection with my collection. Maybe its an early warning sign of being a hoarder as well though, so yeah, take it with a grain of salt.
    Really relate to this post. I am sometimes attracted to houses for reasons other than scent quality. Ralph Lauren is a good example - I have a large collection of RL (predominantly Polo) fragrances, the majority of which are distinctly average at best. But my 'relationship' with the house, and that line in particular, stems from the enormous emotional attachment I feel for the original Polo, which was my first ever fragrance, and my first love (in this regard!).

To a lesser extent I have similar feelings for the houses of Acqua di Parma and Tom Ford. But it stands out more with RL as the scents tend to be of a far lower quality.

Once I'm attached, I'm attached! :-)

For me the answer is yes. I only have 9 bottles currently, each of which I arrived at after sampling many, many fragrances, then getting the approval of my wife. It wasn't easy for me to make my collection.

I also feel good about my collection because there does not seem to be a fragrance I wear that most people dislike. If I wear something, it's usually good to the majority of tastes. I wish the opposite were true - that I could like most of the fragrances that the majority likes. That would surely make my life a bit easier.

JC

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yes i think we all care for our frags, but wearing them is totally random unless their is a special occasion or something ar we need a pick me up scent. For the moment i am only testing out my samples.

Our outlook here is different. It's not a hobby , nor is it art collecting.

It's a way of life.

It's exactly similar to how you have different shoes and shirts.

I choose my SotMorning/Evening by genre. Always by genre.

Iris...vetiver..loose..oud...geranium...medleys... accords....motifs....

for swap/sale:

It isn't separate from living really. It is like paint to a painter and food to a gourmand. A little extra facet of life but essential once you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Our outlook here is different. It's not a hobby , nor is it art collecting.

It's a way of life.

It's exactly similar to how you have different shoes and shirts.

I choose my SotMorning/Evening by genre. Always by genre.

Iris...vetiver..loose..oud...geranium...medleys... accords....motifs....
    I have to admit, I'm a little envious.

I think it would be so much fun to be able to let loose and go crazy with all my fragrances. But of course, here in the U.S., it's not a lifestyle, and unless you want to be regarded as 'that guy' you need to exercise restraint. And in the end, I place my relationships with people I interact with on a daily basis ahead of my enjoyment of fragrances. Of course, I still enjoy them, but I feel like if I lived where you lived, I could go nuts and have a lot of fun with them.

There are some fragrances that I actually prefer to wear on special occasions, beacause wearing them less often increases their value, one them is Royal Delight.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

The only ones I care about are the ones that my wife and kids like or the ones they bought me. The rest are just "stuff". It's the people that make stuff special.

The only music I care about is the ones that my wife and kids like the rest is just noise.

I imagine what smell I'd like today from my memory of the fragrances in my collection and go with that. I have a good fragrance memory and just go with what takes my fancy on the spur of the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    The only music I care about is the ones that my wife and kids like the rest is just noise.
    Snark much, loser?

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I have to admit, I'm a little envious.

I think it would be so much fun to be able to let loose and go crazy with all my fragrances. But of course, here in the U.S., it's not a lifestyle, and unless you want to be regarded as 'that guy' you need to exercise restraint. And in the end, I place my relationships with people I interact with on a daily basis ahead of my enjoyment of fragrances. Of course, I still enjoy them, but I feel like if I lived where you lived, I could go nuts and have a lot of fun with them.
    It's all about finding the equilibrium.

Some days you can spray a bit more because you know you'll be around colleague X and subordinate Y who are liberal or indifferent and on some days your have to restrain yourself because you know you'll be in meetings...
    Same goes for your social circle. Explain perfume to them so that they they understand your not 'that guy'.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

One thing that does compel me is the search for that perfect fragrance that will attack me deeply and emotionally. There are some that I sniff over and over during the day, they speak to me...but I am also driven for the Perfect fragrance that will end the search forever...problem is it may not exist.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

I'm the one who store bottles with several layers of parafilm to prevent evaporation !
    Last edited by Andrè Moreau; 3rd May 2013 at 08:59 PM.

Definitely a way of life for me, would feel incomplete without it - and the search...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrè Moreau View Post
    I'm the one who store bottles with several layers of parafilm to prevent evaporation !
    I put some in ziplock bag even at home. i know..i know..

I probably choose my scent mainly as accessories to what im wearing but a lot of the time it comes down to genre and a little bit of mood. I don't wear anything im not in the mood for but I usually have a choice of X type.

I also save a few for special occasions, whether the juice is special or not is debatable but they suit the things im going for in those occasions.

I would say regardless of how you choose, how you look after them, whether its a hobby etc I think the common thread is everyones just searching for their perfect scent(s).
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Many factors contribute to my choices - what I'm wearing, my mood, and what I have to do for the day. Overall my collection is eclectic, to cover a wide range of scenarios. My harder to find fragrances (i.e. vintage RL chaps, don't laugh) don't get as much play so I can conserve them.

I also worry unnecessarily about my fragrances going bad as I've invested decent money, time and effort into my collection. So yes, I really care for my fragrances. Scoring something I have desired for a long time is such a great feeling.