Code of Conduct

Default Tobacco Vanille or Back to Black?

Which do you prefer, and why? I've an opportunity to get Back to Black, but should I buy it or TV?

Default Re: Tobacco Vanille or Back to Black?

Good question. I own and love both. Both have incredible longevity also. However, if I had to pick one, it would be TV. B2B is nice, but a little too powdery for me sometimes. Can't go wrong with either, but Tobacco Vanille is slightly better IMO.

I'm not familiar with Back to Black, but I'd take TV over almost anything....!

Sound Scents

Like both but prefer Back To Black of the two as I find it a more complete and interesting composition.

In addition to these I also recommend on the lower end of the price spectrum Eau des Baux by L'Occitane, and at a similar price point Le Tabac by L'Antichambre.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I think they are different enough to own both for sure. I really enjoy the honey accord in B2B.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

I got a sample of Tobacco Vanille after reading all of the raving reviews and I absolutely detested it. I gave it so many chances in the hope that it would grow on me but I just found it nauseating. The combination of honey/tobacco/vanilla notes were way too overpowering for me. I actually like the smell of honey, tobacco and vanilla but something about their use in Tobacco Vanille made me want to puke.

Since then I've been putting off trying fragrances with that note combination until recently when I was doing some sampling and got myself a sample of Black to Black. Oh my word, if it wasn't the most heavenly smell I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. It really surprised me because there are definitely similarities between it and TV, but it lacked that milky sweet honey tobacco vibe of TV which made me gag. It was much smoother, and less in your face. I loved it so much that I ended up ordering a full bottle.

To me, B2B is much more sophisticated than TV, which was just too loud and sickly for my taste.
    Last edited by GSHARP; 2nd May 2013 at 07:05 PM.

Too different IMO to choose one... B2B is more complete Imo...
    --->>>
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    I think they are different enough to own both for sure. I really enjoy the honey accord in B2B.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Good question. I own and love both. Both have incredible longevity also. However, if I had to pick one, it would be TV. B2B is nice, but a little too powdery for me sometimes. Can't go wrong with either, but Tobacco Vanille is slightly better IMO.
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts, although I don't own B2B.

Both are fine fragrances, but I strongly prefer Back to Black.

It's more well-rounded and smoother than Tobacco Vanille, which is why Back to Black is in my collection and the other isn't.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Back to Black - just much better IMO.

I prefer Back to Black.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

While there are some differences, I personally couldn't justify owning both. Back to Black, to my nose, is far superior -- but then again, I really don't like TV at all.

I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post
    I'm not familiar with Back to Black, but I'd take TV over almost anything....!

I own and much prefer TV. I tried B2B several times and didn't really care for it.

I own both and really like both. However, if I had to choose, it would be Back to Black. It's more versatile and smoother. I can spray it many times and it won't get cloying for me. TV has much better projection and longevity though.

Both great tobacco scents.

I like TV, wasn't to impressed with BtB

TV is one of my favorites, I do want to try B2B, is it a gourmand ?

Tv...b2b is good, but it smells like cherry pipe tobacco to me.

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    I do want to try B2B, is it a gourmand ?
    It really seems to vary from nose to nose. To some, the tobacco/berry/cherry notes come through the honey, but to others (such as myself), it's just straight-up, rich honey.

I'm not sure why these two get lumped together as they are quite different to my nose. Both are superb and I am glad that I own them. However, TV projects and lasts longer, whereas BtB is smoother and more powdery. It is worth owning both, but if I had to choose one, it would be the Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Back to Black - just much better IMO.
    This

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Tobacco Vanille. It is sublime.

Back to Black is my favorite. I wish it had a tad bit more tobacco in it but it's definitely a fragrance I'll keep. I can't count how many times I've received compliments on it - but yeah it's a bit more powdery than I would hope but still amazing.

Both great tobacco scents - if the OP is getting a good deal on B2B, then perhaps that could be the decider

Basenotes Plus

Own both, but if I had to make the choice of one or the other, it would be Back to Black. I find it more appealing to wear than TV.

Back to Black. For me, it blows all tobacco fragrances out the water.

Tobacco Vanille is far more linear than Back to Black. I absolutely loved Tobacco Vanille too, but Back to Black just threw it off the top spot in terms of tobacco fragrances. Back to Black is very complex with a lot of depth, it's much more of a complete fragrance.

Back To Black is complex and intriguing. Tobacco Vanille an overrated sugar bomb.

Back to Black bruh! TV is too strong and boozy. I don't care for it all that much. Back to Black is the SMOOOOOTHE operator of the two. It's sweet, creamy, and hits the spot! Bet on "Black"! lol
    Current Favorites

1. Amouage Reflection Man
    2. Gucci Pour Homme II
    3. Divine L'Homme Sage
    4. By Killian Back to Black
    5. Amouage Interlude
    6. Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé (2004)
    7. By Killian Rose Oud
    8. Serge Lutens Five O'Clock Au Gingembre (2008)
    9. Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM pour Homme
    10.Creed Royal Water

Tobacco Vanille is much better
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I prefer TV over the close to the skin but sticky honey smell of Back To Black. Although it seemed heavy when I applied it's performance was ridiculous on my skin. I prefer TV. And if you like honey, sweet oriental dream.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to Black. TV is nice, but I agree that it's much more linear. Not a bad thing, since it's nice, but it doesn't grab me as much.

TV. It's more masculine to me and has better performance.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Save yourself some trouble and get Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aureau or even CS Cuba or Alt Innsbruck.

I don't particularly like either one, but Back to Black is a much better composition. Not that it matters, but it's probably better for a woman. I wear all kinds of stuff, but Back to Black has the feel of something distinctly girly.
    Last edited by pluran; 3rd May 2013 at 10:17 AM.

Tobacco Vanille...because it's the best vanilla scent out there. Its performance is simply unrivaled. Its smell is divine, I mean really this is a God tier fragrance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    It really is

I much prefer Tobacco Vanille (just personal taste), but that doesn't mean you will.

Have owned both and I much prefer TV. I too found BtB a touch feminine and about 30ml of it ended up with a woman.

This is a very tough choice for me since I love them both very much. The sweet powdery black honey and raspberry combo in B2B, the thick and vanillic honeyed tobacco in TV... It really is a tough one for me to decide.

The funny thing, to me at least, is that they don't even smell alike. Why these are getting compared so much is beyond me. Sure, both of them got tobacco and honey as their predominant notes, but they're to completely different fragrances.

My choice... Back to Black.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Tobacco Vanille, a man's fragrance.

Back to black

Blog Entries

I like both, but prefer Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford.

They are both my absolute favorites but if I had to choose I'd choose B2B because TV is more linear to my nose.

TLS

B2B'm the only one who seems a raspberry-honey too strong, too sweet?
    TV. is a masterpiece has a lot of high quality.

It seems there's a 50/50 split between the two. Interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Fragmeister View Post
    It seems there's a 50/50 split between the two. Interesting!
    Tell us Fragmeister, which one would you choose?

TV. Ford put out a great one with this.

TV. Excellent smell, quality, projection & longevity, IMHO there is no down side, save the price point. B2B is nice but it gets a little to sweet and powdery for my tastes, and it's absurdly priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    TV. Excellent smell, quality, projection & longevity, IMHO there is no down side, save the price point. B2B is nice but it gets a little to sweet and powdery for my tastes, and it's absurdly priced.
    You can get the refill bottle for half the price of the equivalent TF bottle. You're just paying for the extremely fancy packaging with the 50ml atomiser option.

They are both good scents but Back to Black is the classy version TV wishes it could be, TV is just straight up linear Tobacco and vanilla packing monster projection. Even the bottle and packaging of B2B tubthumps TV.

Despite clearly leaning to B2B I do like TV and don't think you can go wrong with either.

But perhaps the best solution is to simply buy them both.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Tobacco Vanille = Masculine, linear with super natural longevity and projection.

Back to Black = Slightly leaning towards feminine, more complex, more development, poor longevity and poor projection.

Back to Black - sustains what it promises right from the get go, well balanced, reasonably grown up and enjoyable throughout.

Tobacco Vanille - 20 minutes of tobacco to die for followed by a month or so of vanilla candle, sweet verging on childish.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Back to Black = Slightly leaning towards feminine, more complex, more development, poor longevity and poor projection.
    You're kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.reasonable View Post
    Tobacco Vanille - 20 minutes of tobacco to die for followed by a month or so of vanilla candle, sweet verging on childish.
    I've always had a hard time putting my finger on what it is about the TF that rubs me the wrong way, but this explains it well!

Basenotes Junkie

I've not had ANY longevity / projection issues with Back to Black (which I also prefer). We're talking a fragrance that I can clearly detect 24 HOURS after application. I haven't had that experience with anything else that I own.

Also - I have to second mr.reasonables analysis of Tobacco Vanille. "20 minutes of tobacco to die for followed by a month or so of vanilla candle, sweet verging on childish." Sadly, this is true for me as well. I just can't stand the intense, sweet vanilla. Also - I've worn it before and have ... well ... a LOT of negative feedback on it - mostly telling me I smell like a huge vanilla-girlman. So there, Back to Black for me.

TV- like said already 20mins of gorgeous tabac and spices then an eternity of synthetic plastic vanilla.

B2B- just got the refill bottle, from my first test on skin it was all powdery honey, I need MOAR tabac baaaaby
    Current Top 5:
    1. DHI
    2. Oud Wood
    3. Aventus
    4. By. Kilian A Taste of heaven
    5. Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur

I prefer B2B. I had TV and got bored of it after a while. It's very strong and lasts forever, but its very linear and gets cloying.

I don't find B2B too feminine for a man to wear, and its a much more interesting, pleasant composition. I don't get the comments about projection and longevity. It lasts ages in my experience.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you for the comments. It seems both of them have a lot of happy fans. I can't remember B2B. I'll have to try some again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    On me, the tobacco is a sustained note that lingers until the late dry down, and ends as a spicy vanilla. Thats unfortunate you don't get more than 20 minutes of the tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    On me, the tobacco is a sustained note that lingers until the late dry down, and ends as a spicy vanilla. Thats unfortunate you don't get more than 20 minutes of the tobacco.
    Agree.. To me a fairly linear scent of tobacco and vanilla - both stay strong for the life of the scent. I worry sometimes that people might buy this as a primarily vanilla scent - not realizing that it is tobacco all the way! ....... well to my nose anyway