Code of Conduct

Default So I went on a designer sniffing binge at the mall

Because I smelled so many things, everything sort of blends together, and I can't remember much about any particular fragrance. I'll just give my general impressions here. So mostly this post will not be helpful to anyone.

1 Million by Paco Rabanne: No, just no. As sweet as this is, I'm not as repulsed by it as I should be, but I still don't like it.
    Fahrenheit by Dior: Yep, still smells like motor oil.. or something. I thought I'd give it another try after all these years ,but it turns out I still hate it.
    Dior Homme Eau for Men: Interesting fragrance. It's so light but yet is still firmly masculine. Given more time with it, I think it might be a keeper, but I'm not sure yet. I still want to smell Dior Homme (and the Intense), but they didn't have any.
    Mont Blanc Legend: I quite like this. Nice, masculine scent. Was impressed. I liked it better than the intense version, which was sweeter.
    Gucci by Gucci: Not bad. Interesting. Not sure if it's "me", though.
    Bleu de Chanel: I can see why this is a classic. It's quite nice. It might be just a taaad too sweet, though.
    L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent: I like this. It's fresh and pleasing, but not in a generic way.
    A*Men Pure Malt by Mugler: Gross
    A*Men by Mugle: Also gross.
    Mugler Cologne: Fresh, maybe a tad too green for my taste. Much better than the others, though.
    Eternity for Men By Calvin Klein: Still awesome.
    Cool Water by Davidoff : Not as I remember it. The opening is terrible, bordering on offensive. What is that smell? Once the stench goes away, and it does eventually, it gets a little better. Contrary to my previous opinion likening this to GIT, it is not GIT at all. When I first smelled GIT, it put me in the mind of Cool Water, but now having smelled CW again, the two are actually not that much alike IMO. GIT is just sooo much better in every way.
    Le Male by Gaultier: Oh I do not like this at all. Between the mint and the cinnamon and cumin, it's a perfect storm of stink.
    Le Beau by Gaultier: This one's actually ok.

Sorry to offend, if I hated on anyone's favorite fragrances.
    Last edited by tensor9; 14th June 2014 at 02:21 AM.

Default Re: So I went on a designer sniffing binge at the mall

You got to smell a nice variety of the some of the most visible scents out there. Even if your sense of recall is a bit blurred due to the amount smelled, a very pleasant blur.
    Last edited by hednic; 14th June 2014 at 02:29 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I'll have to agree about the cool water. I don't know what they've done, but it isn't as crisp, lively, and fresh as it once was. It still smells good, but compared to my vintage bottle, its a little different. Even the cap today is thinner and cheaper whereas my cap is thick and heavy. Love Eternity as well, and have the Dior Homme Eau and Bleu de Chanel as well. All very good. I can't get along with 1 Million either. Nice reviews!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Interesting impressions. I agree with you when it comes to Farenheit. I can see why people like it, but it's not for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I could give you a bit of advice on Fahrenheit: give it a try, do a full wear. The opening is harsh and that's why many, many folks don't like the whole fragrance. But give it a chance and let it develop to the dry down, maybe you will change your opinion on it. The dry down smells like a completely different fragrance to me.

Looks like you enjoy fresh scents mostly.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

You are not alone in smelling green moss and thinking it's motor oil or some other car fluid.
    I don't understand it at all, but recognise that quite a few here have a similar perception.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    +1. It looks like you cater more towards safe/fresh than darker winter fragrances (Fahrenheit) or gourmands (Malt), at least in this sampling. Not liking fragrances is fine, I like about half of your list. I do not know what Winter is like in Texas but I recommend you retest the fragrances then.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Give Pure Malt another try. Felt the same way at first.

Thanks for sharing these impressions. Covered quite a diverse array of fragrances.

I have given up making judgements on scents by testing once on paper. There are too many scents that I hated after a quick test that I now love after a proper wearing on skin

I do still go on sniff-fests but I try not to form rock solid opinions - I sort of just do it for the enjoyment

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    +1. It looks like you cater more towards safe/fresh than darker winter fragrances (Fahrenheit) or gourmands (Malt), at least in this sampling. Not liking fragrances is fine, I like about half of your list. I do not know what Winter is like in Texas but I recommend you retest the fragrances then.
    I'm in south Texas (San Antonio/Windcrest), and it can get over 100 F and below freezing in the same year. .
    (Formerly Jouho)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I'd agree. I suppose that's why I was so taken by Creed.

From those, Montblanc Legend, Bleu de Chanel and L'homme are probably the best scents overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Popo View Post
    If I could give you a bit of advice on Fahrenheit: give it a try, do a full wear. The opening is harsh and that's why many, many folks don't like the whole fragrance. But give it a chance and let it develop to the dry down, maybe you will change your opinion on it. The dry down smells like a completely different fragrance to me.
    I agree completely. Fahrenheit requires a day's wear to fully appreciate it, which is true for many non-linear fragrances. Very interesting scent.