Code of Conduct
    treeman5823

Default Is L'Heure Bleue Vimtage Edt Really that Bad?

I've heard vintage LB edt is not worth buying. How does the vintage edt compare to the modern edt?

Default Re: Is L'Heure Bleue Vimtage Edt Really that Bad?

What is the source of this information? My vintage edt is wonderful, a dreamy heliotropin-floral combo just veering towards nutty edibility but not falling into gourmand territory. Very serene and atmospheric, for lack of better words.

I don't have extensive experience with different edt, mine was in the "blob" bottle. Nor have I smelled vintage parfum, which I suppose, as with most Guerlains, is even richer.

The wisdom I have heard is that HB changed after 2010 or so with the IFRA restrictions, since at least two of its key ingredients, heliotropin and eugenol, are now severely restricted. The current version smells more spicy and floral, and lost its peculiar feel. Any vintage, I bet, is superior, unless you are interested in the "penis" celebratory bottle the reformulated HB came in for its (post-mortem) centenary.

cacio

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    What is the source of this information? My vintage edt is wonderful, a dreamy heliotropin-floral combo just veering towards nutty edibility but not falling into gourmand territory. Very serene and atmospheric, for lack of better words.

I don't have extensive experience with different edt, mine was in the "blob" bottle. Nor have I smelled vintage parfum, which I suppose, as with most Guerlains, is even richer.

The wisdom I have heard is that HB changed after 2010 or so with the IFRA restrictions, since at least two of its key ingredients, heliotropin and eugenol, are now severely restricted. The current version smells more spicy and floral, and lost its peculiar feel. Any vintage, I bet, is superior, unless you are interested in the "penis" celebratory bottle the reformulated HB came in for its (post-mortem) centenary.

cacio
    No blue penises for me, thanks. By blob bottle, do you mean the weird one that came in the gold and black box with the ugly black plastic cap? I just bought one like that.

I don't have a box for it, so I don't know what it came in. But I think that's the one you mean, the 1923 to the left in the edt picture on this link:
    http://monsieurguerlain2.blogspot.it...7/bottles.html

I also have a little in a small clock shaped bottle of edc. More violet and heliotrope than the edt. Excellent too.

In any case, since you just bought it, you'll be able to smell how wonderful it is.

cacio

treeman5823

Oh, mine is certainly newer than that. It's from the 90s, I think, but I imagine it will still be fantastic.
    Last edited by treeman5823; 4th May 2013 at 03:30 AM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    I've heard vintage LB edt is not worth buying. How does the vintage edt compare to the modern edt?
    Heard it from who? Did someone say it who you personally recognize as an authority on what is or isn't 'worth buying' or was it someone whose opinion really is only their opinion and may not be worth listening to?
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Heard it from who? Did someone say it who you personally recognize as an authority on what is or isn't 'worth buying' or was it someone whose opinion really is only their opinion and may not be worth listening to?
    Is that some condescension I'm reading? Some people, like Robin from nst, said the edp is superior to the edt. Of course I don't need outside validation, but I like to hear people's opinions. Sheesh.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    Is that some condescension I'm reading? Some people, like Robin from nst, said the edp is superior to the edt. Of course I don't need outside validation, but I like to hear people's opinions. Sheesh.
    Nothing condescending at all meant by my question. I was wondering if you might have heard/read it from someone whose opinion on fragrance you respect or just in passing by someone. Double sheesh..
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Nothing condescending at all meant by my question. I was wondering if you might have heard/read it from someone whose opinion on fragrance you respect or just in passing by someone. Double sheesh..
    Sorry about the misunderstanding--intents are often misconstrued in text. Anyway, yes, I did hear the edt is inferior to higher concentrations, but that doesn't matter now, as I have a bottle on its way.

Most EDT's are lighter / less dense / simpler than EDP or Extrait but does that make the stronger concentrations 'superior'? Not necessarily, IMO, as some recent releases have borne out for me - Madragore, Mon Parfum Cheri Par Camille, Volutes, Idole etc.

I own several incarnations of L'Heure Bleue and while I am a sucker for the Extrait (pre 2009) I would say the EDT and EDP are both great - it just depends on how you want to use 'em.

I have a little vintage Extrait and it's terrific - as the years go by it seems everything gets watered down due to IFRA restrictions etc. I spent some time at Guerlain's main counter here a few weeks ago and tried the most recent stuff EDT, EDP and Parfum and they are a pale shadow of what L'HB was even just 5 years ago, unfortunately - the slightly spiced 'bite' from the carnation (I am assuming) in the mix, has gone - it feels pale and a little confused. There was a bottle of Extrait (2008) tucked away in a drawer so I bought that one.

Guerlainista

I love the EdT. It's not as dense as the EdP which makes it preferable in hotter weather or when you want something a little more transparent. The PdT is amazing, though, if you can find it.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I like all three concentrations. I also have a vintage EdC and it is magnificent.
    Evenstar

All of the pre-2010 formulations are worthwhile. Each has a slightly different emphasis in the beginning...
    edc: powder/balsamic (romantic)
    edt: powder/medicinal (bite)
    edp: spice/floral (lush)
    parfum: spice (incense-y)
    ...but they all end up in the same place in the end.

I have the 90's edt you bought, and I think you'll be perfectly happy with it. As for longevity, even the old edc's last a long time.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS