Code of Conduct

Thread: Juniper Ridge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Juniper Ridge

There have been a couple of threads on other basenotes forums on this new American "house," which is really a soap company that now has "colognes," but nothing on the "Male Fragrance" forum. I'm really conflicted about them. They are clearly using high quality ingredients, which they themselves are sourcing, and I suspect in concentrations that belie the "cologne" label, but I don't know if they are particularly wearable and the longevity may be an issue. They are certainly woodsy in a very literal sense, though. I think I could either turn into a fan or bypass them entirely, which is an odd position to be in. Has anyone else tried them? They don't offer samples (which is stupid) but they may do so soon. Surrender to Chance has some samples, though, which I have tried. Is anybody else checking these out?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Juniper Ridge

I asked them if they had a samples program and was told by Jessica, "We are currently working on offering samples (creating bottles and packaging)." So, samples will be available.

The only one we have tried is Siskiyou; my husband and I thought it layered very nicely with Atelier Orange Sanguine.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read about them here. I think the concept is interesting and innovative. I simply haven't heard enough here to elicit the blind buy of a $100 fragrance. Also, I find, as a small house they have a complete lack of information on the actual scent. Whereas Slumberhouse, provides the notes, and almost a story like poem Josh has created for each fragrance. I'll hold off on Juniper Ridge for now, until I hear something about the fragrances being "must buys" "groundbreaking" etc etc.

I've got a decant of Wild Plum Campground. It's an interesting smell, but completely unwearable for me. It's extremely green and bitter. Fans of Slumberhouse (especially Norne) may like it.

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Siskiyou 'cologne' and find it lasts all day, despite the name. It's the most intense green scent I have come across - like wearing pine tree sap in fact. I bought that semi-blind - fortunately the Siskiyou soap I'd tried before was very similar. I don't know about the rest of the range but I find Siskiyou eminently wearable and recommend sampling.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered the Siskiyou "cologne." It won me over after a few attempts. It is woodsy in a very literal sense and probably not for everybody. I would suggest that guys who are into Slumberhouse, especially Norne and Jeke, check this one out when they start offering samples. You can also e-mail Jessica at Juniper Ridge and hassle her to get the sample program up and running. (She was very friendly and helpful to me.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I just ordered the Siskiyou "cologne." It won me over after a few attempts. It is woodsy in a very literal sense and probably not for everybody. I would suggest that guys who are into Slumberhouse, especially Norne and Jeke, check this one out when they start offering samples. You can also e-mail Jessica at Juniper Ridge and hassle her to get the sample program up and running. (She was very friendly and helpful to me.)
    Their sample program is up and running on their website now and they have two new fragrances - Big Sur which is slightly sweet and very tarry and Yuba River which is very, very green. Both are excellent, but bear in mind these are intentionally woodsy and rustic. They don't smell like something you'd find in a Paris boutique. I wish more basenotes guys would give these a try. I'd really like to hear some more viewpoints about them.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a sample pack & I am wearing my first sample of Siskiyou today.

The top notes are almost too intense, I came very close to scrubbing it off of me. It does not smell like a fragrance - it smells like a place: THE FOREST. I have never ever smelled like this in my life before. After the initial medicinal and sharp sap-like aura warmed up on my skin now it smells like the most delightful green torn-branches smell. I'm reminded of the CdG Leaves Series (Calamus and Shiso to be specific) and those other green monsters like Fou d'Absinthe and Norne. I imagine the Shower Gel would be a nice treat - hot water, steam and the smell of this intense green.

Not a good candidate for a blind buy, this one.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

From Mikeperez :"The top notes are almost too intense, I came very close to scrubbing it off of me. It does not smell like a fragrance - it smells like a place: THE FOREST. I have never ever smelled like this in my life before".

The same for me. I smelled this one and another one in Paris (they are sold at "Royal Cheese"), and that was a no as far as i am concerned. It actually totally smells like you've been crushing aromatic herbs or rolling yourself on the ground in a green and wet forest.
    It is an interesting experience, but nothing close to Norne IMO. It is not fragrant like at all. And i would not question the use of natural ingredients... at all !
    But as a friend of mine said , who wants to smell like a log cabin all day ?

I might try their incense though.

Scrubbers for me too, I'm afraid. I respect what they're doing, but found them to be largely unwearable. They put stuff like Norne and other forest floor scents into perspective though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Scrubbers for me too, I'm afraid. I respect what they're doing, but found them to be largely unwearable. They put stuff like Norne and other forest floor scents into perspective though.
    Agree. I love to smell them, but they're simply too natural for me. I need to be reborn as a woods hippie to wear these. HOWEVER, I find that my outdoorsy friends LOVE them in a huge way. Much respect. They are a valid part of natural perfumery, IMO - one which comes close to the orbit of Planet Slumberhouse every once in a while.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Oddly, these pans are making me want to try them even more.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 29th November 2013 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Argh! My grammar error is immortalized via quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Oddly, these pans are making want to try them even more.
    They're absolutely worth trying, and Scent Bar has them available, but yes -- they're rough. Siskiyou was the most tolerable for me, but it still smelled like somebody who'd just crawled their way back to civilization after being lost in the woods for a month or so. Imagine climbing into a trashcan filled with damp leaves, soil, and refuse, marinating there for a week or so. That's kind of the impression these scents give me.

Your description does not make me want to try these scents as much, dd. But I will try one or two anyways I suppose.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Oddly, these pans are making want to try them even more.
    These are "must-sniffs", IMO - exactly in the same way as Slumberhouse. They are unique, compelling, and utterly novel. One of my buddies thinks one of these (Siskyou) is the best-smelling fragrance he's ever tried.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    They're absolutely worth trying, and Scent Bar has them available, but yes -- they're rough. Siskiyou was the most tolerable for me, but it still smelled like somebody who'd just crawled their way back to civilization after being lost in the woods for a month or so. Imagine climbing into a trashcan filled with damp leaves, soil, and refuse, marinating there for a week or so. That's kind of the impression these scents give me.
    I think that's how they make these, basically!

Great description! They bring back particularly fragrant moments of climbing, skiing, hiking, and the like. If you've ever spent time in forests where there is lumbering activity, cut down pine trees, or anything like that, this smells just like it, only MORE SO. It's like becoming one with the forest.

Red, you're right -- it really is how they're made! They have some unique distillation going on, but there's no real composition involved in the fragrance themselves -- they just bottle what comes out. Stand in front of a woodchipper and have someone run some foliage through it for a similar experience

I must say, though, he's doing exceptionally well. Totally nailed a corner of the market that no one else has really touched and got some major distribution deals in the process. Plus, the packaging is quite beautiful.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

The good things about these are they dont have insane longevity, probably due to the natural volatility of the scents, so the intensity of them isn't 24-hour-ish like most Slumberhouses.

They fade & that is a good thing considering how potent they start out.

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The good things about these are they dont have insane longevity, probably due to the natural volatility of the scents, so the intensity of them isn't 24-hour-ish like most Slumberhouses.

They fade & that is a good thing considering how potent they start out.
    Siskiyou actually had a bit of staying power on me (well, a couple of hours in trace amounts), but yes, Caruther's Canyon was gone very fast. Which was a good thing

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing Siskiyou today to banish the winter blues. I live on the edge of a forest and this is the smell I get during springtime logging operations, when the sap is rising. My 'cologne' lasts all day. Maybe I got lucky with an early batch. I've sampled four of the range now (Siskiyou, Wild Plum Campground, Caruthers Canyon (cough) and Winter Redwood). I only like Winter Redwood of the remainder. In 'realistic tree scent' terms, Siskiyou really is unbeatable. They could do with wider distribution here in the UK. It's the type of ultra-niche thing that does well at Liberty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I'm wearing Siskiyou today to banish the winter blues. I live on the edge of a forest and this is the smell I get during springtime logging operations, when the sap is rising. My 'cologne' lasts all day. Maybe I got lucky with an early batch. I've sampled four of the range now (Siskiyou, Wild Plum Campground, Caruthers Canyon (cough) and Winter Redwood). I only like Winter Redwood of the remainder. In 'realistic tree scent' terms, Siskiyou really is unbeatable. They could do with wider distribution here in the UK. It's the type of ultra-niche thing that does well at Liberty.
    I will keep this cure for the winter blues in mind! (snow at Thanksgiving is not a good sign around here!)

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I've sampled four of the range now (Siskiyou, Wild Plum Campground, Caruthers Canyon (cough) and Winter Redwood). I only like Winter Redwood of the remainder. In 'realistic tree scent' terms, Siskiyou really is unbeatable.
    I've only tried Siskiyou and Caruther's Canyon, but Winter Redwood sounds like it might be nice. Is it mainly foliage though or did they manage to inject any actually woody facets into it? Also, I've heard that the deliciously named Plum Campground gives Caruther's a run for its money as far as "challenging" goes. What's your take on it?

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

All those 4 are on a sort of continuum, from the sunny uplifting heights of Siskiyou Cedar, down to the dark and musty depths of Caruthers Canyon. Winter Redwood is halfway up the slope, struggling for the light. It has an appealing minty freshness but still has 'long day at the lumber yard' written all over it. Wild Plum Campground is unfortunately-sited in a damp shady area, ringed by fungus. Neither of those two are as challenging as Caruthers Canyon (well, what is??) but nor as approachable as Siskiyou Cedar, IMO.

In answer to your question, I get leaves and wood with these scents - well, sap anyway. Raw, alive and natural, not a Tolkienesque fantasy wood (Norne) nor a nice piece of furniture (Chene - although I do love that one).

I've always been curious of the brand, and Josh from Slumberhouse actually sent me a sample of Plum something or rather, but I have yet to wear it since it's essentially just enough for one wearing. I may have to give it a spin soon!
    Fragrance blog returning in May 2014!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

After reading this thread I had to try my sample of Siskiyou again. Im getting a huge shot of white fir essential oil mixed with a good dose of orange peel scent. Both are very nice but nothing really great to me. Definitely no rotting leaves or green branches ground up. Maybe a bit of lemon mixed in. Smells very fresh, good scent for a sunny spring day. Decent projection. They have an interesting idea if you ask me but in my opinion it misses the mark of capturing the mountains. But in their defense, I don't think its truly possible to bottle the mountain air.

Post Thanks / Like

I just thought I'd resurrect this thread to see if I could get some reactions from folks who have tried the most recent ones - Big Sur and Yuba River. I'm finding that I really enjoy Big Sur, but you have to like wood tar smells in order to appreciate it. If you do like that kind of thing, this is definitely a must-try. I also have not had any longevity issues with it, especially under clothing. I've also found myself developing a greater appreciation for Caruther's Canyon lately, but it does have some man-skank about it, so you have to be willing to embrace that aspect to fully enjoy it. I also wanted to say a little something about deadidol's comment about Juniper Ridge's "lack of real composition." I certainly understand why he thinks that, especially given Hall's propensity for playing up the whole "we're not perfumers, we're hikers" mystique, but I actually had the opportunity to sample a couple of pre-release versions of the new ones and I can really tell that he was working with different compositions to get them the way he wanted them. I think he might fess up more to knowing what he's doing later. Remember Josh Lobb's early comments about "hip-hop and graffiti culture" and not knowing what he was doing as a perfumer? You don't hear much of that kind of rhetoric from him these days! That's not to suggest that I think Hall will ever abandon Juniper Ridge's rustic aesthetic; I certainly don't see that happening at all. I just think he may stop giving people the perception that he's just some guy in the woods with a copper still. He's certainly much more than that and has a very interesting and unconventional nose. I think this may have been my favorite new house of 2013. It's certainly the most startlingly original one.

Yeah, I've tried the most recent ones -- but they just don't work for me at all. There was a bunch of cabin sprays I got to try as well that seemed to be doing some similar things. It's an interesting concept -- just not for me, personally.

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried Big Sur recently and like it a lot. It may partly be suggestion from the name but there's a hint of hot rubber on tarmac. A smoky, barbecue aroma reminds me a bit of Lonestar Memories. The core is, once again with this house, intensely green and smells like tomato plant (crushed leaves and stems). One of the more wearable ones I think. Excellent longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

I got interested enough to order the sample pack. Oddly, only 4 are available to sample, and they are definitely not cheap ($33.95 total including shipping). You get four 2 ml vials of Siskiyou, Yuba River, Big Sur and Caruthers Canyon. I've tried only Siskiyou and Yuba River so far, and they were actually very similar in my opinion. Siskiyou smelled natural and green, but also had doses of citrus and watery notes and had average projection and longevity. I agree the top notes come out very strong, but calm down after about 15-20 minutes. Yuba River honestly seemed like Siskiyou Lite, more subtle and lasted only about 3 hours. The slight differences I detected were Yuba had a little less citrus and had a bit of earthiness that Siskiyou lacked. Although I love the concept as well as the natural way they produce the fragrances straight out of the wilderness, I don't think I would buy either Siskiyou or Yuba River. I am holding out some hope that either Big Sur or Caruthers Canyon is interesting enough to join my forest scent collection. Norne is a tough nut to crack, but maybe one of those will be different enough to impress me.

Post Thanks / Like

The concept does sound very interesting. I've never tried any to date. Winter Redwood was the fragrance that jumped out to me the most, I just don't feel like blind buying it. May purchase some of the soap in the future though.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW Americana Rust (tobacco and wood...no cherry or vanilla filler.) / NEW Engin (aldehydes/amber/wood/smoke.) / NEW NorOud (Oud and Hops - a Northerly bright fragrance.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    The concept does sound very interesting. I've never tried any to date. Winter Redwood was the fragrance that jumped out to me the most, I just don't feel like blind buying it. May purchase some of the soap in the future though.
    The soaps are great, but they don't smell exactly like the perfumes. Winter Redwood is already sold out in the liquid form, although Lucky Scent still has some for sale. There is also a solid version, which I have, which is very densely packed in a small tin, which should last a good while. I think it's much better than last year's version. While I enjoy most of the line quite a bit, my favorites (in no particular order) are Siskiyou, Caruthers Canyon and Big Sur. Their incenses and teas are also excellent, BTW.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a sample pack & I am wearing my first sample of Siskiyou today.

The top notes are almost too intense, I came very close to scrubbing it off of me. It does not smell like a fragrance - it smells like a place: THE FOREST. I have never ever smelled like this in my life before. After the initial medicinal and sharp sap-like aura warmed up on my skin now it smells like the most delightful green torn-branches smell. I'm reminded of the CdG Leaves Series (Calamus and Shiso to be specific) and those other green monsters like Fou d'Absinthe and Norne. I imagine the Shower Gel would be a nice treat - hot water, steam and the smell of this intense green.
    Quoting myself, since that last post I do now own a bottle of Siskiyou Shower Gel and I really do enjoy it. I find it very close in fragrance profile to the scent itself, but of course it's not quite as intense since you're showering it off. But still...I have a routine where this is my Shower Gel I use on weekend mornings and I have smelled the scent lingering on my skin for an hour after my shower. It's that very intense torn-branch accord I mentioned above.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely going on my to buy list. I usually buy cheap shower gels. This is something I could see myself using every once in a while...weekends and such.

Quoting myself, since that last post I do now own a bottle of Siskiyou Shower Gel and I really do enjoy it. I find it very close in fragrance profile to the scent itself, but of course it's not quite as intense since you're showering it off. But still...I have a routine where this is my Shower Gel I use on weekend mornings and I have smelled the scent lingering on my skin for an hour after my shower. It's that very intense torn-branch accord I mentioned above.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW Americana Rust (tobacco and wood...no cherry or vanilla filler.) / NEW Engin (aldehydes/amber/wood/smoke.) / NEW NorOud (Oud and Hops - a Northerly bright fragrance.)