Code of Conduct

Default Favorite mint note in a fragrance !?

I have been exploring some mint for this summer and was impressed by the balance of the spearmint note in Luna Rosa. Do you have a favorite mint note in a fragrance, it seems to my like its an under used note, especially for some of these summer fragrances. Selection Verte was just ok to me, will need to spend more time with it. Any others you might recommend ?

Default Re: Favorite mint note in a fragrance !?

Been really digging on Grev's weird-beard minty clove thing for the past few days -- very refreshing!

Very much enjoy Geranium pour Monsieur's minty serenade...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

I have not tried Luna Rosa, so I need to. Unlike you, I do love Selection Verte, but it did take me awhile to appreciate it. I think the reason it took me some time to warm to it was a combination of not having any experience with mint in fragrances, as well as the unusual fragrance of the sweet pea (pea being a flower and not the kind of "pea" we all think of). One of my favorite Basenotes friends encouraged me to wear it some more, especially in the summer....as that is really when it's great. I took his advice and I'm glad I did. I love the combination of citrus and mint.

Heeley's Menthe Fraiche, of course, always comes to mind when I think of mint fragrances. Many on BN love it. I like some, but not all, Heeley's. Menthe Fraiche is a very fresh smelling mint, but kind of blah to my nose. I liked the looks of the listed notes (except the green tea), but the overall scent did not wow me.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...Ess-de-Cerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Would have wanted to love Geranium Pour Monsieur but I can't stand the citronellol, which reminds me of mosquito repellent - I used copious amount of it in the army. Enjoy Guerlain's Herba Fresca quite a bit, haven't gotten around trying Menthe Fraiche though.

Cartier's ROADSTER will give you all the mint kick you will need from a fragrance.
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Guerlain Homme Intense, L'Humaniste, VIW, D & G PH, Dior Homme Sport, DHI, Allure Edition Blanche, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: L'homme

Quote Originally Posted by Stesa View Post
    Would have wanted to love Geranium Pour Monsieur but I can't stand the citronellol, which reminds me of mosquito repellent - I used copious amount of it in the army. Enjoy Guerlain's Herba Fresca quite a bit, haven't gotten around trying Menthe Fraiche though.
    Funnily enough, I have held back on getting a full bottle of GpM (have a 5ml sample) as my wife said it smells of bug spray and she didn't like it because of that...!

Mystery solved, thank you...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Cartier Roadster, plus vintage Gucci Envy for Men (the latter, much less pronounced on the ginger, however, with a discreet yet still quite easily identifiable mint note instead).

Menthe Fraiche by a long way for me.

Geranium pour Monsieur

Sound Scents

Menthe Fraiche by Heeley and vintage Green Water by Jacques Fath are my two favorite presentations of mint.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Another fan of Guerlain's Herba Fresca here.

Live jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    I have been exploring some mint for this summer and was impressed by the balance of the spearmint note in Luna Rosa. Do you have a favorite mint note in a fragrance, it seems to my like its an under used note, especially for some of these summer fragrances. Selection Verte was just ok to me, will need to spend more time with it. Any others you might recommend ?
    I really enjoy the peppermint note in Atlantic--it drives the entire fragrance but somehow manages to downplay its mintiness....that's your mystery scent #4 btw.

Also like the mint in the opening of Roadster. And the way mint brings a very cooling element to Play Sport.

And if course Menyhe Fraiche is always great for straight up fresh and clean herbal spearmint.

Absolutely:
    +1 Herba Fresca
    +1 Heeley Menthe Fraiche

Another for Menthe Fraiche

You might want to give Nuit Etoilee-Annick Goutal a try. Its an airy fragrance of mint and woods. Very nice.
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

Not generally a fan of mint, but a few that I do love are:

Guerlain Homme Intense
    Heeley Menthe Fraiche
    YSL Live Jazz
    Kenneth Cole Black
    Last edited by dougczar; 3rd May 2013 at 01:50 PM.

The citrus mint notes on vintage Green Water are to die for. But are similar to Selection Verte, which I love as well.

Geranium pour Monsieur

Lush Dirty and Geranium Pour Monsieur

Really enjoy the mint opening in Roadster, which surprised me, since my first real introduction to mint was in Live Jazz, which I just can't abide due to the coriander (read: cilantro) note.

Memoir by Amouage

Geranium Pour Monsieur & Herba Fresca.

Quite like the mint with lavender in Oxford & Cambridge.

I think Marc Jacobs Bang Bang (the blue bottle) has one of the best mint openings ever! It smells like one of those toothpastes for children. Refreshing, bright and sweet mint

IO by Carthusia is the best I have experienced

Pure shot. Fragrance is ok BUT I really like the mint note it in. Just seems so refreshing. Too bad the other notes are not that great

+1. Menthe Fraiche is really good.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

+1 for Cartier Roadster and YSL Live Jazz

both are already mentioned - Annick Goutal's Nuit Etolee & Malle's Geranium Pour Mounsieur - GPM is huge on the mint IMO - its like applying menthol all over u and jumping into a pool of water - cool & refreshing feel

Geranium pour Monsieur

treeman5823

Menthe Fraiche is nice. Vintage Emeraude is nice, too, with its abstract metallic-mint thing going in the background.

Armani Sport Code.

Selection Verte

Guerlain's Mentafollia is a good one.

I like the mint or pine note in Ted Lapidus Pour Lui.

I love the juxtaposition of fresh and dirty in L'Anarchiste. The mint also sticks around on me for some time, which is awesome.

My favorite is Selection Verte. IMO, it's the most natural smelling mint fragrance.

My 2nd favorite is Geranium Pour Monsieur. After that, I like Menthe Fraiche.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with minty fragrances but I, too, really enjoy Guerlain Herba Fresca. Very refreshing!!
    "Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."
    - Bruce Lee

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by FooDog View Post
    I don't have a whole lot of experience with minty fragrances but I, too, really enjoy Guerlain Herba Fresca. Very refreshing!!
    Yes, this a nice one. Camphoraceous herbs.

Do try Creed's divine Selection Verte. You can also try Jacques Fath Green Water, which is similar.

Guerlain homme

I sniff out every mint frag I can find....I've talked a lot about it on other threads, so you could search those threads also, but I love mint in fragrances and here are my thoughts on what I've found:
    Herba Fresca-The best mint frag in my opinion...and very reasonably priced!! It's fresh mint leaves with grass and it's fantastic.
    CDG Play Green-Great strong mint note with basil and some other herbs. Great stuff...at first comes off weak but then, after a couple of wearings, it's like your nose hones in on it and it lasts forever.
    Mentafollia-Discontinued but great stuff...strong fresh mint note with green tea, you can find it on ebay for a good price.
    CDG Peppermint-At first I loved it...it's got wood, mint and bay rose, but to me there was a pencil shaving vibe that really got to me after a couple of wearings.
    Lush Dirty-SUPER minty, in a toothpastey way but great, mixed with a mineral vibe. Lasts forever.
    Menthe Fraiche-Starts out great and very promising, great fresh mint note, then it becomes about the yerba mate and then dries down to hairspray on my skin. I wanted to love it, but I only like the first 30 minutes or so.
    Geranium Pour Monsieur-Great mint note that lasts throughout the duration of the frag, but the star is the Geranium, which is not a bad thing at all, it's strong Geranium with a strong supporting mint note.
    Luna Rossa-Great frag, just picked it up a few weeks ago, great mint note, but there are better mint frags out there, still really like the stuff.
    Armani Code Sport-Loved it at first and loved the mint note...although it is far from being the star, but the ginger in Code Sport is too overpowering on my skin and thus is ruins the whole thing for me.

Some that people mention when it comes to mint, and sure, there's mint in there, but they are far from mint stars are:
    Live Jazz-A tiny little bitty mint note SMOTHERED in cilantro...the mint is found in the first spritz and then it's gone in a field of cilantro...not about the mint in the slightest...I NEVER understand why this one is even mentioned when it comes to mint.
    Cartier Roadster-I don't know how else to say it other than I hate the stuff! Sure there is a mint note for the first 20 minutes or so, but then it turns into bad stomach turning badness to me, and the mint goes away during this phase also. People like this frag and that's great for them...I'm not saying that it really is a bad frag, it's just very bad for me...and it really isn't about the mint at all.
    Selection Verte-hmmm, I never get why it's considered a mint frag, it's got a small mint note, yeah, but it sure doesn't last for me.
    Pasha Fraicheur Menthe-Umm, where's the mint again? It's overpowered, if it's in there, by so much other stuff.
    Jo Malone White Jasmin and Mint-It's ok, but more about the jasmine...the mint note is very short lived.
    Le Male-Yeah right...tiny mint note...definitely not about mint, not at all.

Hard to find ones:
    Jo Malone Fresh Mint Leaves-Haven't tried it, but I've heard great things about it...one day I will give it a smell.
    CDG Series 1 Leaves: Mint-I got a sample from a generous Basenoter, which was extremely generous being that it is next to impossible to find, and this frag is fantastic!! I hate that it's discontinued and that I can't get my hands on it.

And there are more and will be more that I will be determined to sniff out.

Selection Verte by far, then Live Jazz and maybe Roadster. Gucci Envy Homme gives me much more opoponax than mint.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Menthe Fraiche by a long way for me.
    Me too, almost smells like iced mint tea. Someone commented that it reminded them of Earl Grey when I wore it last, probably about a year ago actually.

I also like Geranium Pour Monsieur.

+1 for Guerlain Mentafollia. Honorable mention to Lacoste Elegance...
    ...read Basenotes reviews here: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26128598.html

Other thread(s) on mint:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/256...th-a-mint-note
    Last edited by Wally Swoboda; 4th May 2013 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cadenz View Post
    Cartier's ROADSTER will give you all the mint kick you will need from a fragrance.
    Exactly!
    My current top 10 (with no particular order):
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Terre d'Hermes EDT
    CK Eternity for Men
    Creed Aventus
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Old Tin Can)
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
    Costume National Homme

Amouage-Memoir Man.

Been a long time since that note last impressed me in a fragrance...

I had Pasha Fraicheur Menthe a few years ago, but did not buy it again... If I recall correctly, little by llittle, I got tired/bored by too much mint...or perhaps a too synthetic rendition of it.

Just tried Luna Rossa on skin this time...and yes, I definitely like the mint note in that one...

I guess mint is not an easy note to balance, especially if it's a major player...but hats off to Daniela Andrier, well done indeed !

I bought Live Jazz last fall and I'm keeping it for the scorching hot days to come...will have to report back on that one when I'll give it a full wear...

Basenotes Institution

I agree with the comments on Selection Verte above - that really impressed me last summer. The citrus/floral/mint combo is awesome.

Besides that I just love straight up mint scents like the disco'd Mint Series 1: Leaves by CdG (by Duchaufour, way back when he started) to Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca and Mentafollia.

Personally I detest Malles' Geranium Pour Monsieur. I like geranium, I do. And I like mint. But that stuff just turns my stomach. Ugh...
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I really enjoy the spearmint note in Live Jazz, although it gets thrown behind the dominating coriander eventually, when it's up front, it is amazing, and awesome with the grapefruit peel note.

I'll also note. Green Water is probably my absolute favorite "mint dominated" fragrance, I'm not much a mint fan, but this one is great.

Cool Water Frozen was pretty good, but very minty, again.. not a big mint fan, but when it went with the CW vibe, it did very well. I went through an entire 4.2 oz bottle back in 2006 I believe, which is hard to do when you have a huge collection, even back then I had a good 40 bottles.

I really wanna try Luna Rosa now, after reading this thread, I love fresh spearmint notes, as opposed to heavy mint dominated fragrances like Roadster. (although the dry down of roadster mint/soft woods is desirable)
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I just tried Luna Rossa today while in the mall and was impressed enough that I went back to Sephora and had them make me a sample. I love mint but have had hard time finding one that really hits the spot for me. I won't say Prada's Luna Rosa is perfect, but it's much closer to what I've been looking for, and so far, I'm impressed. To me it begins with a dominant sweet spearmint note with a backdrop of lavender, sage, and just enough of a slight citrus note to give it a fresh airy, kind of aquatic tinge. Then as it dries, it keeps the spearmint note and lays it against an almost sweet, metallic base. Nice! I'm guessing this is the mix of ambroxan and ambrette seeds. It's like sweet spearmint on a sweet clean, metallic musky base. Also, this is the type of mint note I've been looking for. It's definitely sweet and almost has that chewing gum/candy type feel (especially with the sweet base notes), yet it's still clean and fresh.

I'm wearing my sample tonight, and I can definitely say that I'm really liking this one. It will most definitely be a purchase in my near future (i'd even pay retail for this one). As far as what it reminds me of in a way; it has some commonalities with Lush's Dirty. The sweet spearmint and sage mixed with the lavender definitely remind me of it in the opening. But where as Dirty goes off in a lavender musk overload in the base, Luna Rossa takes a sweeter and classier turn with the ambroxan and ambrette. Anyway, sorry for rambling, but needless to say, I'm very impressed with Luna Rossa. It's instantly one of my favorite mint fragrances, easily. (oh, also, definitely sample this one in person. The magazine insert doesn't do it justice at all).

Selection Verte was just ok to me, will need to spend more time with it.
    Same here, although after sampling Heeley's Menthe Fraiche and a couple of other mint frags, SV smells the best of them. Still not bottle worthy to me.

Guerlain homme intense has a nice mint note
    Current top choices:
    1- Portrait of A Lady
    2-Guerlain Heritage
    3- Chez Bond
    4- Amouage Dia
    5- New York oud
    6 34 st Germaine boulevard by Diptyque
    7- by killian Pure Oud
    8- coromandel by Chanel
    9- MFK lumiere Noir
    10- Clive Christian X

I agree, Menthe Fraiche has some fort of funk going on. MF reminds me of gargling mouthwash. As for Selection Verte, the mint and the citrus didnt seem to work together and I am assuming that comes from the heavy mint oil. Granted, I need to skin test this one again.

Thumbs up Re: Favorite mint note in a fragrance !?

Geranium pour Monsieur
    Roadster
    Nuit Étoilée
    Green Water
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    +1 for Cartier Roadster and YSL Live Jazz
    Make that +2, very fond of both of these minty designer frags, Live Jazz especially is a superb summer scent for the price.

Guerlain homme L`Eau ..