Code of Conduct

Question Best fragrance to invest in?

If you were looking to invest in a perfume i.e. buy something that would appreciate in value over the years what would you get? Maybe something like nemo or antidote that are discontinued or maybe a limited edition creed from their royal exclusives e.g. Jardin D'Amalfi or Spice and Wood.
    UK Swap Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for decant swaps

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense
    7) DIOR La Collection Privée - Ambre Nuit
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) HERMES Voyage d'Hermès Parfum
    10)LATTAFA Ameer Al Oudh

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Default Investment

I'd be interested in knowing this too.

Default Re: Best fragrance to invest in?

I'd buy a bottle of Patou, as I think the price and rarity of it will only continue to rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I'd buy a bottle of Patou, as I think the price and rarity of it will only continue to rise.
    Which Patou would you buy?

If I could, Clive Christian No. 1 Pure Perfume Imperial Majesty

Aventus and hope to goodness it gets abruptly discontinued.

for swap/sale:

I just bought a bottle of Gucci pour Homme yesterday. I bought it for myself, however, I can see the price skyrocketing over the next ten years or so when it really becomes more of a rarity. Also, if any of the favorite Chanel Exclusifs get reformulated of discontinued I could see those bringing in top dollar as well. I'm speaking of the newer released Exclusifs: Sycomore, Coromandel & 31 Rue Cambon.

Pick bottles where there are changes going on with the company

Gucci pour homme if you can get it (agree with rynegne above, prices will rocket due to rarity)
    Dior Leather Oud - it's acquiring a cult reputation (get it before any kind of reformulation)
    Most of the L'Artisans as there are changes going on there

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I just bought a bottle of Gucci pour Homme yesterday. I bought it for myself, however, I can see the price skyrocketing over the next ten years or so when it really becomes more of a rarity. Also, if any of the favorite Chanel Exclusifs get reformulated of discontinued I could see those bringing in top dollar as well. I'm speaking of the newer released Exclusifs: Sycomore, Coromandel & 31 Rue Cambon.

I don't know if Gucci Pour Homme will have that big of a resale value. Gucci Pour Homme II does pretty well.

From the few you mentioned, Jardin D' Amalfi is a good one. But the price is cray though.

Sound Scents

Patou pour Homme Prive
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

It already does have a pretty decent resale value...3.4oz going for well over $125-$200 (double the retail when it wasn't discontinued) on eBay. Lucky people might be able to find it in stores still, if it's been sitting around for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by noseferatu View Post
    I don't know if Gucci Pour Homme will have that big of a resale value. Gucci Pour Homme II does pretty well.

I wouldn't recommend GPH. It's already richly priced IMHO and there are enough "similar" scents that this is already close to an upper limit.

You want to go for something that is unique and still within the original price range. A few years ago I would have recommended L'Occitane 4 Voleurs or Creed Vetiver 1948.

Patou PH & PH Prive are already discontinued and hard to find - prices are already over the roof unless you hit jackpot and find someone selling it unknowingly for a cheaper price...

So your questions is like asking which is going to be the next Patou PH - no one can probably answer it!!!

Parfums created in higher concentrations like parfum extracts / attars tend to be made in limited quantity - these will always be in demand but supply will be limited & if its discontinued, value tends to go up...

These come to mind immediately, but, again, not all BN will like the boldness of their parfums - Nasomatto / Slumberhouse

Both these houses tend to make exceptionally strong concentrations with the latter being a real potent force, so i dont see them making huge batches like other fashion house frags / designer frags...There are many here on BN only who are hunting for Ore made by Slumberhouse and which is now discontinued...

(hypothetically) Other parfums that come to mind with regards to being in production now, but a sudden discontinuation that can up their prices are - Invasion Barbare / Guerlain Muguet's / By Kilian's Arabian Night series & their limited edition or middle east only release oud extreme / Chanel Egoiste - already hard to find in N America / Knize 10 / Mazzolari Lui / Andy Tauer's / Tom Ford Private Blends to name a few...

It's too difficult to say... perfumery is a fashion and changes very quickly
    Just yesterday I saw some Patous in the bargain bin, sold for pennies, and tomorrow? who knows.....

Basenotes Member

Was thinking of picking up more tin can Rive Gauche since people here have started reformulation talks with the new bottle...

Calling something "vintage" lets you double the price lol.

No huge profits though, since Rive Gauche is pretty cheap to begin with.

Windsor

treeman5823

Amouage Gold for women; Ubar; vintage l'Heure Bleue parfum; vintage Mitsouko parfum; vintage Diorella parfum; Vetiver pour Elle; Sous le Vent; Attrape Cours; etc.

Never bought as an investment, though paradoxically I might have stumbled upon some underrated discontinued scents which might somewhat increase their value over time, were they sold instead of worn. Possibly, some good value investments could be some vintage Guerlains or some limited edition (preferably vintage and/or discontinued) vaulted Creeds.

Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
    I wouldn't recommend GPH. It's already richly priced IMHO and there are enough "similar" scents that this is already close to an upper limit.
    I would tend to agree with this. It is already selling at a fair premium, so I'd say most people have missed the boat on that one. That said, availability (at least based on a scan of ebay) is noticably less than it was around a year ago, so who knows? Maybe it will rise further. But I doubt it.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Early formulations of Serge Lutens, Histoires de Parfums and Amouage if you can. Good collectors' line imo.

Gucci pour Homme (original 1976) is another great one. Can still be found.

I wouldn't buy perfume as an investment, but if I did, I'd go with Slumberhouse. The scents are ever-evolving, Josh discontinues the ones he's bored with, and the fanbase appears to be both growing and enthusiastic.

Are any of the recently discontinued Creed EdT's expected to reach Vintage Tabarome status?
    Creed Aventus lid wanted: please pm if you can help

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post
    I would tend to agree with this. It is already selling at a fair premium, so I'd say most people have missed the boat on that one. That said, availability (at least based on a scan of ebay) is noticably less than it was around a year ago, so who knows? Maybe it will rise further. But I doubt it.
    As much as I do like GPH (and have a decant) - Tommy Bahama is "close enough" and a lot cheaper. I probably would have picked up a bottle of the real GPH at the original price, but when I run out of GPH, I'll make do with something that gives off a similar vibe. Maybe I'll be the only one. I've no interest in paying the crazy prices it is going for now.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    (hypothetically) Other parfums that come to mind with regards to being in production now, but a sudden discontinuation that can up their prices are - Invasion Barbare / Guerlain Muguet's / By Kilian's Arabian Night series & their limited edition or middle east only release oud extreme / Chanel Egoiste - already hard to find in N America / Knize 10 / Mazzolari Lui / Andy Tauer's / Tom Ford Private Blends to name a few...
    Egoiste isn't that hard to find; Chanel will happily send you a bottle, and I've seen it at (well stocked) Nordstroms. Oud is an interesting idea - the high-quality stuff that Agar Aura produces may never be seen again. Then again, you are also banking that oud will still be big in a few years. It will remain popular in parts of the world, but are you going to sell it on the UAE version of eBay?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Possibly, some good value investments could be some vintage Guerlains or some limited edition (preferably vintage and/or discontinued) vaulted Creeds.
    Good idea, if you pick a popular one. A counterexample: Guerlain Coriolan. Go to eBay and look at the prices for the sold listings (not the active ones! You want to see what people are actually paying.) It's been out of production for 15 years, and the returns on a bottle would have been pretty meager.

Vintage M7

Dior Homme Intense (orignal formulation)

Dior Homme (Orignal formulation)

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I just bought a bottle of Gucci pour Homme yesterday. I bought it for myself, however, I can see the price skyrocketing over the next ten years or so when it really becomes more of a rarity.
    This. 100% this, if you can find it at retail prices rather than the ebay markups we're seeing now. It's already hard to find, but I snapped up a new bottle from a store shelf a few months ago, and rynegne found one this week, so clearly, a few are floating around in stores. It's worth seeking out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
    As much as I do like GPH (and have a decant) - Tommy Bahama is "close enough" and a lot cheaper.
    This blows my mind. I own both. Tommy Bahama is linear and smells like a pencil sharpener. Gucci Pour Homme smells like a cathedral that's been around for centuries, but Gph also evolves into a woody amber scent about four hours into it when the incense fades away. Yes, both Gph and Tommy Bahama share a pencil shavings note, but that's about all they have in common. They're two remarkably different scents.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 3rd May 2013 at 06:37 PM.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Please keep in mind that -during the last years (approximately since 2005)- there was a flooding of new perfumes.
    There is too much offer, the more appreciated perfumes will be the ones produced earlier.