Code of Conduct

Default Do you have to "like" a house to appreciate a scent?

A lot of times, i read on here " I'm not a fan of __________ house (usually Creed) but i really like (a list of scents from that house.

Is it important to you to have some connection with a certain house or perfumer in order to enjoy their scent? Are there some fragrances that you like but do not wear or feel guilty about wearing it because of who makes it?

Default Re: Do you have to "like" a house to appreciate a scent?

No, I don't think it's necessary to have a connection to a particular house.

No. The only thing that can put me off is if the bottle/price is offensive. Or if the owner/creator is a personal enemy, I guess.

As a collector, for me it's important.

I guess not however there are houses that I refuse to try their creations such as houses with scammy marketing ploys and poor quality control (Creed) or houses that price their products obnoxiously (MDCI, Puredistance, Xerjoff, etc)

I don't think so.

Everything I hear about Laurice Rahmé / Bond No. 9 is quite negative (TPC issues, "Peace" issue, Creed copying, etc..). However, I own about 6 of their fragrances and love them all.

I'd certainly hope not - I'd hope the only requirement for liking a scent is, well, whether you like it or not Doesn't mean you might not have some issues with the house notwithstanding (e.g., exorbitant price), but a scent should stand on its own, generally speaking.

It's all about the frag and if I think it's worth the price.

Definitely not. Even if I'm generally rather underwhelmed, unimpressed or uninterested by a certain fragrance house, given the almost constant output of new releases, I do tend keep myself open to their fragrance creations, in hope I might find something that I might eventually like.

It's the other way around for me: if I like some of the scents a 'house' produces, then I'd say I like the 'house'.

I don't actively dislike any houses - I may be ambivalent to some scents, but that has never lead me to have any particular problem with the company that made / released them.

treeman5823

Absolutely not. What you just described is a classic case of debilitating bias; once a person 'decides' that he or she likes or dislikes a brand, the preference clouds the quality of the perfume. In other words, you become close-minded. Brand loyalty or disloyalty is disrespectful to perfumers, since their work is superseded by nothing more than a name.

Basenotes Plus

I have to have a scent within my olfactory range in order to appreciate it. That's the only requirement.

No, it is not necessary to have a connection. This is bull.

Certainly not, BUT I do find that different houses usually have different styles and that I often tend to like several of a particular house or none at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    No, it is not necessary to have a connection. This is bull.
    It isn't bull.

There is no correct answer here. There is no right or wrong answer because each of us has our own tastes, preferences and interests. Personally, I don't need to like a house to enjoy a scent, and I can enjoy a scent even if I don't like the house.

I love Gucci Pour Homme I and II, but I have no love for Gucci.
    I think the world of Dior, but I have no love for the new Parfum edition of Eau Sauvage (love the EdT though!).
    I have so much respect for Andy Tauer, but I don't think I can wear Lonestar Memories (but I'll probably try again next fall!)
    I'd buy a frigging Liz Claiborne scent if it smelled good and wears well (which, by the way, Curve and Lucky Number 6 both do).

For me, it's all about how a perfume smells and how it wears.

...but that's me. If it's important for someone else to have a connection between a house and a perfume, or a perfumer and a perfume, that's fine because it's what that person finds joy in.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for HdP 1725 or Bond Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

No. However, to flip it on it's head, I probably give far more leeway to scents made by houses that I 'like'.

Not really. But I admit that there are some houses I prefer. If I see Creed release a new scent, I'm more likely to seek it out to try it just because I tend to enjoy Creed scents. I hate everything about Etat Libre d'Orange, though, and conversely, when I see it releases a scent, I don't even bother to try it.

Of course, once I do try the scents, I judge them on their own merits. I don't like several Creeds, for example, and hate a few (including Aventus). Although I have yet to find an ELdO scent I like.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

No. But (for example) when I have to do with perfumes such as the Balenciagas, well, I know what I am handling

I can like a fragrance while disliking the house (Silver Factory by Bond, for example), but since there's so much good stuff out there I tend not to buy those. Of course, if Bond came up with a fragrance I really really loved, I might change my mind.

Banned
    Blog Entries

no and yes

I think you can like a track from an album without wanting to buy the album. The same goes for fragrances. Using Creed as an example, I really like Royal Oud but find most of the rest of them dull.

No, i try my best focusing to the fragrance itself no matter which house it's coming from. In my case it works the opposite way: Find myself liking various scents and afterwards i'll notice they are coming from a certain house (Rochas for example).
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

I mostly like products, foods, songs, perfumes & not their creators.

for swap/sale:

Banned
    Blog Entries

no- unless you want the entire line

Not at all! I love Polo, and that's the only Ralph Lauren I'd ever have.

Doesn't seem necessary to 'appreciate' the scent, but if you have strong feelings, then there is no reason to go against them just to throw money at people you don't want to support. Especially considering the number of brands and the number of fragrances available, there's an extremely good chance you can find something similar from a brand you don't actively dislike.

There's also not much point in placing expectations on a new frag based on others from the house or even others sharing the fragrance name, if it is designer. There are companies that design and manufacture the fragrances, then shop them to the houses, sometimes trying several times until someone slaps a name on it and agrees to market. For a niche or a designer with in-house perfumers it can make sense to have expectations and look for house notes.

No, I don't think that the house matters per se. However, I find that if I like one scent from a house, there is a good chance that I will enjoy others. It is a style thing and the way a particular house interprets fragrance will either resonate or not. Of course, this is not always the case. Keiko Mecheri resonates, L'artisan doesn't. But I don't like everything KM makes and I keep trying L'artisan.

No, not at all.