Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on Tsar and Boucheron?

I've seen both Van Cleef and Arpels Tsar and Boucheron pour Homme on cheap offer here in the UK, but I've never smelled either and I'm wondering what people think of them...

Tsar: Sounds to me like a fougère. I do like fougères, but I already have Rive Gauche, Azarro, Paco Rabanne, Worth, Sartorial, English Fern, Brut. Having those, do you think I'd be missing anything by not getting some Tsar?

Boucheron PH: I'm not sure what to expect from this, but I've read suggestions that it's in the Eau Sauvage style. Now, I love Eau Sauvage, and I have the standard, the current Extreme, Parfum and Fraîcheur Cuir. So, is it true that Boucheron is similar, and again am I missing something important by not having it?

Grateful for all opinions.
    Last edited by Oscroft; 3rd May 2013 at 05:56 PM.
    Alan

treeman5823

Default Re: Thoughts on Tsar and Boucheron?

I presume you mean Boucheron Pour Homme. I have only smelled it briefly, but I can tell you that it is a high quality citrus. I smelled Tsar briefly, too; if I remember correctly, it is a nicely put together violet leaf-musk, not a hundred miles away from Invasion Barabare.

BPH is steps ahead of the current TSAR. Go for BPH EDP. Disregard the EDT version.

Go for BPH EDP. Disregard the EDT version
    Unfortunately it's only the EdT on offer.
    Alan

I have both, very different from each other. Tsar is a nice fougere, dark and green, heavy on Muguet, I assume the vintage is better, I have what I believe to be an older bottle, it's closer to Paco Rabanne than Azarro, not as bitter or fresh as English Fern, somewhat like Duc de Vervins if you know that. Boucheron Pour Homme is supposedly citrus (lemon), but it's not a very natural lemon to my nose, I love Chanel Pour Monsieur, and don't think Boucheron comes anywhere close to it, nor Monsieur de Givenchy, or other classics, it's powdery and quite feminine, the first time I smelled it I was sure my Mother used to wear it. I like it, but it's not a classic masculine citrus, it's a powdery floral feminine citrus, it's "pretty" for lack of a better word.

In my opinion, both Boucheron PH EDT and EDP are a slightly more advantageous, rewarding buy, than the current formulation of Tsar.

Own and like but like the Boucheron better especially the EDP.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscroft View Post
    Unfortunately it's only the EdT on offer.
    Bummer. In that case don't get either one. Your money could be spent on better fragrances IMO.

Tsar is very green with nice projection and silage. Boucheron is lemony and very powdery. Did not like this one too much.

I can't comment on Tsar because I've not smelt it in ages.

Boucheron, I own the EDP. I can only describe it as a Lemon dominant version of Aramis 900 / Aromatics Elixir (or those frags crossed with YSL PH). It has a floral heart that is borderline "ladies perfume", and my wife thinks it is quite soapy, which some people might be interpreting as powdery. Although I don't think it is overwhelmingly soapy, I'm not a fan of very soapy frags like the Pradas for instance, but I'm a big fan of BPH. I bought the EDP, because for once, they increased the strength of the Topnotes, not the Basenotes, when turning it into an EDP. In the EDT, the Lemon note cannot hold firm when the Oakmoss and Patch basenotes come in, the Lemon retreats and the basenotes overwhelm. With the iodine like facets of Oakmoss, this leaves the EDT a bit unbalanced in my opinion, but you might like how mossy it becomes.

The dominant top note in BPH is not lemon but verbena.
    This scent is quite different than Eau Sauvage, although both are fresh chypres.
    It's dryer, less suave then ES, which is far richer and complex.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Thanks very much for the info, folks - I know a number of the other fragrances you've mentioned, so the comparisons are very helpful.

I think I would like both of these from what you're saying, but neither sounds like a "must have" - but I think I'll be keeping my eyes open for good deals on BPH EdP!
    Alan

Regarding Tsar, I suggest you look at YSL Jazz instead.
    Similar but Jazz is much better, IMHO.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

It's all about reformulations with these old greats, it seems. I would sample first unless I got then for next to nothing, because I've been so disappointed by muddled/fuzzy, "synthetic" reformulations with a lousy base.

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Blais View Post
    Regarding Tsar, I suggest you look at YSL Jazz instead.
    Similar but Jazz is much better, IMHO.
    Thanks - I have Jazz, and I like it a lot.
    Alan