Code of Conduct

Default Hermes Vetiver Tonka, Ridiculously Good

Just gave Vetiver Tonka it's first full wearing today. I couldn't stop smelling myself, and I got my first unsolicited compliment.

I bought 4 15ml bottles from the Hermes Boutique a few days back and my main goal for the day was to find my "fresh rose" scent and I loved Rose Ikebana. I didn't want to buy the full 100ml so I chose the 4X15ml set instead. The other 3 scents I chose, I must admit, they were totally impulsive as it was the end of the day and I was tired. I gave VT a sniff and I though okay probably will get sweeter, quite decent, I'll choose that because I've heard a few good things on Youtube and BN.

I didn't regret it one bit. I understand this might be my very first wearing but damn I am very impressed.

It starts off very woody and slightly smoky (think of a way better Aventus smoky vibe). And I got a very very slight hint of citrus, which reminded me of TdH. Pretty nice opening. But the magic really happens once the sweetness and nuttiness comes in. I didn't get much tonka like the name implies but I did get this roasted nuts smell with a bit of sweetness. Not too sweet, which is perfect for my taste. I love it because it's sexy, sophisticated, and very classy. It's masculine and it fits my personality. And after 8hrs I'm still getting whiffs of it as I'm typing this. Jean-Claude Ellena is officially my favourite perfumer.

I'll wear this as much as I can. Hopefully this will be the first fragrance I can call a masterpiece.

One more thing, I'm not too familiar with the vetiver note and I'm very intrigued by Encre Noire but I can't get a sample around my area. Will I like Encre Noire if I like VT? Might consider blind buying.
    Last edited by dudelove; 3rd May 2013 at 07:01 PM.

Default Re: Hermes Vetiver Tonka, Ridiculously Good

I like it a great deal, but it is not one of my 5 favorite vetivers (but definitely one of my top 10)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dudelove View Post
    Will I like Encre Noire if I like VT? Might consider blind buying.
    No, not necessarily. Encre Noire is a very different vetiver. Much more raw and smokey. Amazing fragrance, but not as versatile as VT.

If you are able to try Chanel Sycomore - that will give you a good indication as to what EN smells like.
    Last edited by dougczar; 3rd May 2013 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    If you are able to try Chanel Sycomore - that will give you a good indication as to what EN smells like.
    I have tried Sycomore. But it didn't leave an impression like VT did. I still have the card which has Sycomore and the scent is still there after a few days.

I must say I like VT due to its intense woodiness and also the smokiness, not so much the sweet side. That's probably why my attention has turned to other Vetiver based fragrances.

I love Vetiver Tonka, it's my favorite of the Hermessence line along with Poivre Samarcande. Enjoy it.

It is good stuff You have just inspired me for my SOTD tomorrow!
    - Mark

ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

One of the best Vetivers, I only wish it would last longer

It does remind me of Terre d'Hermes in a way. I sampled this one about a year back and sorry to be the downer here, but I really think this is a mediocre fragrance. It could just be me and how some aromachemicals rub me the wrong way, but the dry down just had this synthetic and unpleasant feel to it. Overall, I really am not impressed. Vetiver and tonka together sure sound awesome to me on paper, but this just was not my fragrance.

I'll give it another sampling in the near future if I remember.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

It's a wonderful vetiver scent.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

It may just be me or my bottle, but my VT has a strong tobacco note owhich lasts well into the drydown. Wonderful frag!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Love VT, beautiful combination of vetiver and sweet creamy marron glace.

Recently got a full bottle for my wife, it smells amazing on her...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Of the many vetivers I have sampled, it's the only one I fell deeply in love with. If I could afford a full bottle, I would buy one, but for now, decants will have to do. I adore it.

One of the things I've noticed about peoples' reviews on vetiver fragrances, is that many say that Perfume A is not a classic vetiver and others will say it's perfect. Then others will say Perfume B is a classic, and others will say it is not vetiver at all.

So, that said, I have no idea what vetiver REALLY should be, but I know what I love and what didn't work on me.

Love this stuff, it smells heavenly.
    ANDERSON = GOAT

Never smelled Hermes Vetiver Tonka. Glad you enjoy it. Encre Noire IMO is another good Vetiver frag. Sample first. Send me a PM with your address. Will send you a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Never smelled Hermes Vetiver Tonka. Glad you enjoy it. Encre Noire IMO is another good Vetiver frag. Sample first. Send me a PM with your address. Will send you a sample.
    You are too kind! But I really don't think it's worth it sending a sample all the way too Singapore, too expensive. I will find my way too sample Encre Noire.

I love VT, very smooth and exceptional

It is ridiculously good, nothing quite like it.

Basenotes Junkie

One of my favorite fragrances, which always puts me in a great mood.
    It's just that warm, creamy vetiver concoction that's just perfect. I'm extremely happy to own this fragrance. Amazing!

Very nice fragrance, I think you would also enjoy Vetiver Fatal.

You should try Fat Electrician.

They're more or less on the same vetiver-spectrum genre.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 30th October 2013 at 03:34 AM.

for swap/sale:

I think its sampling time.
    Thanks for your inputs.

Didn't really care for Vetiver Tonka that much, since the tonka bean note wasn't very noticeable, just as you said. The vetiver takes over too much, which I hate.

The only scent I care for in the Hermessence line is Ambre Narguile. A beautiful scent reminiscent of a freshly baked apple pie sweetened with warm honey!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDropIt View Post
    Didn't really care for Vetiver Tonka that much, since the tonka bean note wasn't very noticeable, just as you said. The vetiver takes over too much, which I hate.

The only scent I care for in the Hermessence line is Ambre Narguile. A beautiful scent reminiscent of a freshly baked apple pie sweetened with warm honey!
    I've worn it a couple more times and on my skin it doesn't get very sweet at all, and almost no tonka. The vetiver is very pronounced, which I love!

On the other hand, I didn't care for Ambre Narguile because it was too sweet and I'm not a fan of sweet fragrances unfortunately.

We have opposite tastes unfortunately!

I've worn it a couple more times and on my skin it doesn't get very sweet at all, and almost no tonka. The vetiver is very pronounced, which I love!

On the other hand, I didn't care for Ambre Narguile because it was too sweet and I'm not a fan of sweet fragrances unfortunately.

We have opposite tastes unfortunately!
    Opposite tastes indeed bro!

where to get a full-size one? it's only samples i can find on the web.

Just gave Vetiver Tonka it's first full wearing today. I couldn't stop smelling myself, and I got my first unsolicited compliment.

I bought 4 15ml bottles from the Hermes Boutique a few days back and my main goal for the day was to find my "fresh rose" scent and I loved Rose Ikebana. I didn't want to buy the full 100ml so I chose the 4X15ml set instead. The other 3 scents I chose, I must admit, they were totally impulsive as it was the end of the day and I was tired. I gave VT a sniff and I though okay probably will get sweeter, quite decent, I'll choose that because I've heard a few good things on Youtube and BN.

I didn't regret it one bit. I understand this might be my very first wearing but damn I am very impressed.

It starts off very woody and slightly smoky (think of a way better Aventus smoky vibe). And I got a very very slight hint of citrus, which reminded me of TdH. Pretty nice opening. But the magic really happens once the sweetness and nuttiness comes in. I didn't get much tonka like the name implies but I did get this roasted nuts smell with a bit of sweetness. Not too sweet, which is perfect for my taste. I love it because it's sexy, sophisticated, and very classy. It's masculine and it fits my personality. And after 8hrs I'm still getting whiffs of it as I'm typing this. Jean-Claude Ellena is officially my favourite perfumer.

I'll wear this as much as I can. Hopefully this will be the first fragrance I can call a masterpiece.

One more thing, I'm not too familiar with the vetiver note and I'm very intrigued by Encre Noire but I can't get a sample around my area. Will I like Encre Noire if I like VT? Might consider blind buying.

testing reply with quote

Quote Originally Posted by heo View Post
    where to get a full-size one? it's only samples i can find on the web.
    Testing

So glad to see ipp and furrypine are also testing Vetiver Tonka - excellent in times of stress or frenzied activity

I usually wear it when I'm flying, it's a relaxed vetiver and good for dealing with sitting a tin can at 30,000 feet. Nice thread to bump, BTW.

Over and out. 1,2,3,4.

Blog Entries

Love Vetiver Tonka. I think it's not only one of Jean-Claude's greatest Hermèssence efforts - I really think it shows just how out-of-the-box it is possible to get with vetiver. Don't have a big bottle, but I could see it. It's a fine matcher for Dior Vetiver, Vetiver Pour Elle, and a few other outstanding ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Love Vetiver Tonka. I think it's not only one of Jean-Claude's greatest Hermèssence efforts - I really think it shows just how out-of-the-box it is possible to get with vetiver. Don't have a big bottle, but I could see it. It's a fine matcher for Dior Vetiver, Vetiver Pour Elle, and a few other outstanding ones.
    We have similar tastes, Red - no doubt about it.

And it appears the Reply With Quote function is also working. Testing. 1,2,3,4.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    We have similar tastes, Red - no doubt about it.

And it appears the Reply With Quote function is also working. Testing. 1,2,3,4.
    Tapatalk notification works, too - better than Huddler mobile! I'm starting to like this place already! Feeling SO post-Huddler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does it compares with hermes terre?

Entire different to my nose. What I get from Terre is an earthy peppery scent. Vetiver tonka is a tonka-sweetened scent that is very unique and comforting.

@iMac: I can confirm now that l'homme infini does resemble TdH, but more peppery in the beginning. That was first impression, I need side by side testing to see how each develops.