Code of Conduct

Default Tell me about men and fragrance... in the 1930's. [a question inspired by Caron Pour un Homme]

I'm on a bit of a Caron kick lately. I finally got around to wearing Pour un Homme and I was blown away by it. I kept thinking "This dates back to 1934?!" What a luxurious scent to release in the height of the great depression. I wonder who wore it.

Did the average American wear fragrance in the 1930s? Did the average European? What was the world of perfume for men like back then? What scents were most popular and who, in general, wore them?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Default Re: Tell me about men and fragrance... in the 1930's. [a question inspired by Caron Pour un Homme]

Any 90+ year old basenoters want to chime in on this? Lol, jk LBI! I've read that back then it wasn't generally accepted for a man to wear fragrance. Also, I'm guessing the CpuH of today smells almost nothing like the stuff from 1934.

Default Re: Tell me about men and fragrance... in the 1930's. [a question inspired by Caron Pour un Homme]

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Any 90+ year old basenoters want to chime in on this? Lol, jk LBI!
    HAHAHAAHAA!!! Yeah, well, there's that
    I have to assume we've got some history buffs lurking in the shadows here.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Also, I'm guessing the CpuH of today smells almost nothing like the stuff from 1934.
    That was my thought too. I have to assume it's been reformulated time after time, not just due to restrictions but also the changing tastes of the times.

Not quite 90 yet, but my French relatives certainly did back then, as did other Europeans & fragrances have been traditionally worn for a very long time indeed in other parts of the world.
    Colognes were popular in Europe.

No specific knowledge, but from the little I have heard, (wealthy) men did wear cologne in Europe (wealthy because regular people were too poor to be able to afford them). In the US, I don't think people wore much perfume back then - not so much a matter of money but of tradition (I mean, even Estee Lauder had to start with bath oils to get American women to wear perfume).

However, from the little I have heard, men wore lighter stuff, citrus, light florals, lavenders, and tendentially soapy stuff. I remember reading a book by Diana Vreeland in which she reminisces about the clean smell of men back then. This was in a period where instead women wore big dirty florals - then as now, men were of lesser interest in perfumery. So eau de cologne for men, or soapy fougere, barbershop type of things. After all, Fougere royale was already more than 40 years old by then. I doubt there was much leather, despite the fact that Knize Ten already existed. But then alfarom, who came across a very vintage K10, said it smells more soapy and more floral than the current stuff.

It seems the big leap for masculine perfumery came much later, with the powerhouses we so much love.

Incidentally, I have not smelled vintage CpuH, but I guess it was not that much different. Neither lavender nor vanilla have been restricted. And I doubt that CpuH was either a fougere or had animalic undertones. But I could be wrong.

cacio

My father used to wear cologne back in the early 30's and my guess is that many friends he hung around also used to wear it too.

A lot of folks probably couldn't afford it as much as these days.

Perfume , outside the Arab Gulf, subcontinent of India and North Africa where it was commin for all, was a luxury that the rich enjoyed.

I'm fairly certain aristocratic families with strong ties to their initial origin (be it Austria, Spain, Italy or England) wore perfume throughought history. Even when they migrated to what is the USA now.

You can be sure they prefer to remain incognito for many reasons.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    A lot of folks probably couldn't afford it as much as these days.
    That's another interesting thought. $72 seems to be such a common price point in the U.S. these days for a 100ml bottle of designer perfume. I wonder what a typical price point in the 1930s was, adjusted for inflation.

Overcome By Fumes

You could buy an 8 oz bottle of Chanel A Gentleman's Cologne (now called Chanel Pour Monsieur) in 1969 for $8. Check the small print in this old Playboy advert.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/11752100...e-1969-vintage

“Eau de cologne was very fashionable in the 1920, 1930. It was sold in the mass market and worn in the great quantities. Now it has practically disappeared. Eau de toilette was created to take perfume to the street, meaning to the middle market. It was the beginning of the democratization of luxury perfume.”

Jacques Polge explained.

Fresh citrusy colgnes, Old Spice Original launched in 1938, Bay Rum; these simple fragrances were the norm.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Incidentally, I have not smelled vintage CpuH, but I guess it was not that much different. Neither lavender nor vanilla have been restricted. And I doubt that CpuH was either a fougere or had animalic undertones. But I could be wrong.
    Even the current stuff is supposed to have animalic undertones. If they are there though, they are so "under" they are subterranean.

IMO the success of Caron PUH up until recently is due to the art of simplicity.
    No gimmick at all, innocent and honest.
    It is like a virgin standing out from the busy crowd.