Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Curious newcomer wants in on the fragrance goodness

Hello everyone,

How it all started:
    I was looking for a possible replacement for Light Blue by D&G when I stumbled upon Basenotes. I started wearing it in 2005 after receiving it as a gift and it's tied to so many happy memories and such a good phase in my life that it makes me wonder if it's really the scent that I love or if it's the memories that make me love it so much.

Then why would I wanna replace it you may wonder and there are three reasons:
    1. I think I'm a closet hipster, I dislike smelling it on every other woman I pass on the streets, lol.
    2. What if there's a perfume out there that I would love even more than I love Light Blue? I...must...find...out...
    3. I love experiencing new things and learning more about subjects I'm interested in and finding Basenotes made me realize that there's a lot to be learned.

I've tried replacing it in the past but never succeeded, it seems to be impossible for me to find a new scent that I love as much as I love Light Blue but then again, I've never really tried hard. I've gone to the store, gotten overwhelmed by the selection, randomly sniffed perfumes until I got a headache and then caved in and bought another bottle of Light Blue.

This time I'm gonna handle it differently and take my time to sample different fragrances but I still feel overwhelmed, it's hard to know where to start and how to continue from there. I know I wanna learn more about niche fragrances since one of the reasons I'm steering away from my current love is that it's too common.

My journey so far:
    I paid a visit to Cow and the salesperson managed to decipher my babbling about my likes ("fresh") and dislikes ("vanilla or anything that smells sweet") and had me try

I liked Trefle Pur the most though the other two were nice as well but none of them were Light Blue... I also felt that they were a bit too unisex, I would like something a little more feminine. The staying power of Trefle Pur and Pegaso were amazing, I could smell them on my wrists 2-3 days after my visit. I haven't had the time to go back there yet and I was hoping to learn a little more first so I can formulate myself better.

I ordered some samples from Surrender to Chance, in hopes that it would be a good starting point I started with

A week later I came across a scent that triggers some childhood memories: orange blossom! After digging a little on Basenotes I ordered

So what tips and advice do you have for a beginner who loves Light Blue and is interested in learning more about niche fragrances? What would you recommend me to sample next?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Curious newcomer wants in on the fragrance goodness

It sounds to me like you are off to a great start by purchasing the samples. Sample, sample, sample !

As you may be beginning to tell, it's possible to get all wrapped up in the fragrance hobby : There are simply so many different things to try, and to form opinions about.

But I think it's quite positive that you have one fragrance that you already *know* that you like. Having a jumping off point is a good thing.

Also remember that things which may smell too heavy now that the weather is warming up may smell much more appropriate in colder weather.

One way to work your samples is to try a different one on each wrist. If you have two that seem similar, having the two to compare really helps you get a handle on the various notes that each one have.

You may want to post over on the female fragrance forum as a means to get more responses to your post. There are many knowledgeable folks here, and having the chance to tap into their experiences is a pretty great opportunity.

My guess is that you will really like L'Artisan Seville a l'Aube.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

I second birdboy - smell your way around and sample. Tastes expand a lot when you start smelling new things.

Light blue is at the extreme of squeaky clean freshness. It manages to maintain that very sharp, clean lemony note for a long time. I am not a fan of the style, so I am really not sure what to suggest. Perhaps, in niche territory, Lutens Eau Froide? Or perhaps look into the category usually referred to as clean white floral? (eg Tommy girl, eau parfumee au the vert, etc)

Orange blossom and other orange products like petitgrain do smell very fresh and clean. but, unfortunately, they don't last long, so I suspect you'll be a little dismayed at the longevity of your orange sample pack. (Light blue managed to be persistent because it uses synthetics only).

The 5 classics in your sample pack are all excellent, but in very different styles. Chanel no 5 is the cleanest, but it is clean in the sense of soap, and it is definitely much smoother.

cacio

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

You might like some of the Lancome O fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Also remember that things which may smell too heavy now that the weather is warming up may smell much more appropriate in colder weather.
    It's not very warm here yet, only 11 degrees Celsius. But you're right, I could use some of these in the fall/winter.

One way to work your samples is to try a different one on each wrist. If you have two that seem similar, having the two to compare really helps you get a handle on the various notes that each one have.
    That's what the Cow salesperson told me as well, and that's what I've been doing. I received my parcel with the top 5 feminine samples on Friday and yesterday I was wearing Opium on one wrist and Mitsouko on the other.

You may want to post over on the female fragrance forum as a means to get more responses to your post. There are many knowledgeable folks here, and having the chance to tap into their experiences is a pretty great opportunity.
    Thanks, I might do that later.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I hope so! Looking forward to sniffing more samples.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Welcome!
    Thanks!

Light blue is at the extreme of squeaky clean freshness. It manages to maintain that very sharp, clean lemony note for a long time.
    It's a bit hard to describe exactly what I like about Light Blue but it's definitely not the lemon note, it makes it smell like a cleaning detergent. I think it might be the white floral, I like Light Blue the most after a couple of hours, not when I've just sprayed it. To me the fragrance is fresh, light weight and cool.

Perhaps, in niche territory, Lutens Eau Froide? Or perhaps look into the category usually referred to as clean white floral? (eg Tommy girl, eau parfumee au the vert, etc)
    Thanks for the suggestions. Tommy girl was actually my first perfume, I used it in 8th grade. I love(d) it a lot but I've enjoyed Light Blue more. I'll put Eau Froide on my To Try list and look more into the white floral category.

Orange blossom and other orange products like petitgrain do smell very fresh and clean. but, unfortunately, they don't last long, so I suspect you'll be a little dismayed at the longevity of your orange sample pack. (Light blue managed to be persistent because it uses synthetics only).
    Oh, I didn't know that they won't last long, that's a downer. Thanks for letting me know!

The 5 classics in your sample pack are all excellent, but in very different styles. Chanel no 5 is the cleanest, but it is clean in the sense of soap, and it is definitely much smoother.
    They are indeed very different and it's been a lovely experience so far. This is so much fun, I did not expect that.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    You might like some of the Lancome O fragrances.
    Thanks, I'll look into it!

So yesterday I tried Opium and Mitsouko, one on each wrist. I hope I won't offend anyone by saying this but I thought I was gonna choke upon the first sniff of Opium, yet I only applied half a drop to each wrist. It was so sweet, spicy and overpowering but as the day went on I started getting a whiff of a really, really amazing scent. However, I could never smell it when I smelled my wrist from up close, it only happened when I was moving my hand at a distance from my face. Really peculiar.
    Mitsouko on the other hand was such a sweet, innocent smell. In terms of sweetness, it's perfect for me, but there was one (or several) note(s) that I didn't quite like, roses perhaps? Made the scent smell too mature for me.

Today I'm trying Angel and Shalimar. Angel smells like burnt sugar and Shalimar smells like cough syrup. I'm anxiously waiting for the heart/base notes to appear, hoping that they'll surprise me like Opium did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to basenotes Ninstar, & enjoy the journey! lt sounds like you're off to a good start in finding out what notes you prefer. Do keep us posted!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Post Thanks / Like

So you've stumbled across basenotes, eh? Well then, you've taken your first step on a great adventure. Be warned, I cannot guarantee you'll make it back, and if you do, you will not be the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Welcome to basenotes Ninstar, & enjoy the journey! lt sounds like you're off to a good start in finding out what notes you prefer. Do keep us posted!
    Thank you! I'm sure I'll be back posting questions regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunsetspawn View Post
    So you've stumbled across basenotes, eh? Well then, you've taken your first step on a great adventure. Be warned, I cannot guarantee you'll make it back, and if you do, you will not be the same.
    Haha, yes, I'll be forever a changed woman.

My Shalimar-wrist is a no-go. Apparently Mitsouko rubbed off on my mouse pad yesterday and now my wrist smells like Mitsouko or a mix between Mitsouko and Shalimar so I'll have to try again tomorrow. By the way, the sample bottles (1 ml) from Surrender to Chance are very difficult to open, is there a trick to it? I'm afraid I'm gonna splash the perfume all over whenever I'm opening one.

Post Thanks / Like

Your casually perfumed mousepad sounds actually like a great idea... perhaps I should do it too. (though of course one then may need a few mousepads, if one wants to change scent).

Opium and Shalimar are both orientals, Shalimar is lighter and more centered on the vanilla and Opium is more saturated and centered on spices (clove especially). Opium is famous for being a big powerhouse, so your reaction is certainly understandable. Hard to know from these few examples what you did not like of Shalimar or Mitsouko. For Mitsouko, perhaps it is the slightly bitter moss base? It was common in older perfumes, though it is rare now. The sweet part of Mitsouko should be peach skin.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Your casually perfumed mousepad sounds actually like a great idea... perhaps I should do it too. (though of course one then may need a few mousepads, if one wants to change scent).

Opium and Shalimar are both orientals, Shalimar is lighter and more centered on the vanilla and Opium is more saturated and centered on spices (clove especially). Opium is famous for being a big powerhouse, so your reaction is certainly understandable. Hard to know from these few examples what you did not like of Shalimar or Mitsouko. For Mitsouko, perhaps it is the slightly bitter moss base? It was common in older perfumes, though it is rare now. The sweet part of Mitsouko should be peach skin.

cacio
    Yes, the mouse pad smells great but now the whole room smells like a perfume shop, I managed to spill a drop or two. I don't even know what bitter moss smells like yet, maybe I should buy some samples that uses that to find out, haha.

I had no. 5 and Shalimar on the wrists today, with no interference from Mitsouko. no. 5 does indeed smell like soap and it made me realize that there are different kinds of "fresh", this one is a just-got-out-from-the-shower type of fresh whereas Light Blue to me is more like fresh air, crisp almost. Did not like how no. 5 smelled from up close (too soapy) but just like Opium, I kept getting the whiff of a really delightful smell whenever I would move my hand around at a distance from my face. Such a pleasant surprise!

Shalimar is just a whole lot of vanilla and I don't like vanilla that much, especially when it's the only thing I can smell. I might go back and sample it again when I've learned to pick out more notes, it's just no use right now.

All of these perfumes except Mitsouko are too warm and/or heavy for me. I might consider using Opium on date nights (if I'm dressed up to the teeth) and I'm definitely going to sample them again later on when I feel that I've learned more and developed a better nose for these things.

Yeah, sample and see what you like.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to a fine addicition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    You were wrong, it's too sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    Welcome to a fine addicition.
    Thank you!

I received my orange blossom samples and mmmm, the parcel itself smelled divine! So far I've tried Seville a l'Aube (too sweet) and Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger (LOVE!). I put Tom Ford Neroli Portofino on my roommate's wrist () and oddly enough, it smelled similar to Light Blue. I'm debating whether I should venture further into white floral or try more citrus-y like fragrances...choices choices...