Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default TF Bois Marocain vs CdG Kyoto

I recently read somewhere that Tom Ford's Bois Marocain has been discontinued. What a shame. I have a 50ml bottle, sprayed it only couple times - not sure why I'm not wearing it more as it's a very good wood-incense scent and I really like it.

But the discontinuation info led me to reading up a few reviews on BN and that "other" site, where someone compared it to CgD Kyoto, and where 22 other people also tagged it as a similar fragrance. I have not tried Kyoto, yet. Yes, yes, I know, I have other CdG fragrances, you'd think I'd try their famous Incense line by now. I always thought Kyoto, Avignon, etc, were much heavier on incense (based on reviews), whereas Bois Marocain is leaning more towards the woody side. Somehow it never occurred to me that these two could be "similar" at all. How close really is Kyoto to Bois Marocain? If I have Bois Marocain, would it still be worth trying and buying Kyoto, or is it just too much overlap and an unnecessary addition to my wardrobe?

Default Re: TF Bois Marocain vs CdG Kyoto

Just tried the former one time and didn't think much of it. To me they are not similar. The latter IMO is much better composed and smells better.

I don't really find them similar. I am not really a fan of Kyoto, but I do love Bois Marocain. I am very disappointed to see that one get discontinued. While I don't care for Kyoto, I don't think they are similar, so I would certainly recommend you give it a try and decide if you like it.

Bois marocain is nothing like kyoto

I don't see the comparison either. Also as much as I like Kyoto (I own a bottle) I would never purchase it again, due to the abysmal longevity.

Kyoto hands down!

Basenotes Plus

Thank you guys. I will definitely order Kyoto and other CdG incense samples, if not outright full bottles (don't laugh, I blind-buy 90% of my fragrances anyway - if I don't like them I give them away or keep them for reference and the occasional wearing or just sniffing on a paper strip for memory sake - some scents I find unwearable, but interesting to own and sniff for their compositional sake).

Anyway, since I haven't worn Bois Marocain in a while, I decided to spray it on tonight. I think my perception of it has changed now, quite a bit. Originally when I tried it at Neiman Marcus all I got was nice light woodsy scent and bought the bottle on the spot. It reminded me of CdG Wonderwood in some ways - woodsy, light and airy. Now a few months later, I sprayed it on and in the first 15 minutes I sort of "didn't think much of it" (like hednic described). It was good, but did not have that "WOW" effect that I remember experiencing when I first tried it. However - the magic happened after those first 15 minutes - the scent transformed into 75% incense with nicely defined and strong, semi-dry, cedary woodsy base. Still very airy and light, meditative, calming, soothing - makes me want to sit down, close my eyes, and reflect on life. Wow, what a difference from a few months ago... I guess I really didn't give it enough chance to shine and unintentionally ignored it in my collection. I'll be definitely giving this one a lot more attention and now that I pulled it out from the back of my cabinet, I'm glad I did. I think it may be one of those hidden little treasures - like Tumulte pour Homme by Christian Lacroix - albeit at significantly higher price point.
    Last edited by remik; 5th May 2013 at 05:59 AM.

I own Bois Marocain and it's nothing like Kyoto! BM is a great scent, isn't it?

I guess from a dark woody perspective yes. Otherwise they're very different.

for swap/sale:

Tom Ford sahara noir is closer if you want an incense base.