Code of Conduct

Red face Crown Perfumery Reviews

In an effort to review Crown Perfumery scents before they are gone for good, here a couple I tried in the last day or two:

Ess Bouquet:

An interesting lavender fragrance indeed. Ess bouquet derives from "Essence of Bouquet," a popular perfume genre at the end of the XXVIIIth Century up until the beginning of the XXth Century as citrict-floral cologne on top of an ambergris and orris base. During the Victorian age, sweet lavender and thyme were added in order to adjust to the tastes of "little old ladies" of whom we think when we think about Victorian perfumery. How does Ess Bouquet fit into this? Well, I would say at first blush, but to my nose, Crown Ess Bouquet is all about sweet lavender (not as sweet as say Caron PH or Gris Clair) with a grassy "new mown hay" flair. Ess is a simple scent that dries down to tonka, musk, orris, and vegetal musk (ambrette seed). Good quality, but strange and greatly out of place in today' s world.

Eau de Russe:

I had high hopes for Russe, being one of the last Crown fragrances on my to-try list. I understood from the outset that it was a powdery citrus rather than a stark birch tar one usually associates with Russian leathers. In and of itself, Russe is nice, inoffensive, talcy, and massively powdery. A brighter, cleaner, and more British take on the Guerlain classic l'Heure Bleue. I would guess that Russe contains bergamot, neroli, lavender, orris, musk, and amber among other things. Russe is likely patterned after the trend of fragrances like Floris Special no. 127 made for expatriate Russian aristocrats in living in France at the Turn of the Century--and their vision of the perfumes of the good old days of absolute monarchies--a dream of Catherine the Great, the perfumed court of Marie Antoinette at Versailles, and the wind blowing through the blue and white silk brocades of Louis XIV in his grand garden. Eau de Russe is the child of too many dreams and too many illusions, which have gone flat by the dawn of the 21st Century. If you like l'Heure Bleue and classic feminines of Guerlain and Chanel, you will likely adore Russe; but the why not just stick with the Guerlain?

Please leave any comments or feedback you may have.

Default Re: Crown Perfumery Reviews

Thanks for the reviews. I am a big fan of Sandringham.
    How strong/lasting is the lavender in Ess Bouquet? Would it be considered unisex-ish?

Default Re: Crown Perfumery Reviews

I think Ess Bouquet could be considered unisex. It strikes me as Royal Scottish Lavender minus the animalics and powder (and the lavender quality isn't as good). A nice taste of the "Victorian" 1980s (Perfumed Politics Blog).