Code of Conduct

Default Handsome, manly bottles?

I'd like to bottle something I've made to give as a gift. I only need one bottle. Well, ok, as long as I'm gifting, I might as well buy a few... but really, the total number would be quite small.

I'd like a handsome, manly bottle with a sprayer and cap. Maybe something square or rectangular? Maybe flask-shaped? I'm obviously not looking for something custom. All that matters is that it's handsome. What are my options? Where would I even look for this sort of thing?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Default Re: Handsome, manly bottles?

How manly does the bottle have to be?

Maybe an aluminium bottle? You could punch a name in with metal stamps.

Call it MILITARY EFLUX COLOGNE XXX009BZ or something...

-

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    handsome, manly bottle
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-Be...item43bb993539

Most of the online sellers make them available in lots, so you might look to eBay for a single one. You'll pay a little more, but unless you need 12, it'd be the best option.
    Last edited by deadidol; 5th May 2013 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I'd like to bottle something I've made to give as a gift. I only need one bottle. Well, ok, as long as I'm gifting, I might as well buy a few... but really, the total number would be quite small.

I'd like a handsome, manly bottle with a sprayer and cap. Maybe something square or rectangular? Maybe flask-shaped? I'm obviously not looking for something custom. All that matters is that it's handsome. What are my options? Where would I even look for this sort of thing?
    Take a look at Best Bottles (aka Nemat) - there is no minimum quantity but the minimum order value is $50.

As you are in the US it will make sense to buy direct I think and get enough to make up the order. I used to buy from them in bulk and can recommend the big, rectangular bottles. The smaller cylindrical ones have a tendency to leak and come apart so not so great.

I'm actually in the process of updating my own bottle range at the moment (I'm negotiating with a couple of European suppliers) and once I have the new batch in I'll be happy to sell on individual empty bottles, but I doubt that's going to be economic across the pond.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

This would probably make the best fit:
    http://www.accessoriesforfragrances.com/
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations

Don't forget Sunburst bottles. For instance, http://www.sunburstbottle.com/clear-...ottle/p/KOIAS/
    And no minimum. And in USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Irina View Post
    This would probably make the best fit:
    http://www.accessoriesforfragrances.com/
    I just wish their bottles had a heavier weight... or... something. They look ok, but they're boring. Granted, the fragrance is the star, but I'm such a sucker for a handsome bottle. Something with some heft to it that feels good in the hands and looks great on a shelf.

That being said, I've ordered from that site in the past and was very pleased.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Take a look at Best Bottles (aka Nemat) - there is no minimum quantity but the minimum order value is $50.
    I might end up going this route. In a perfect world, I'd like a bottle like THIS with a cap like THIS. Or maybe even a bottle like this if it's nice and heavy. Or this.

I guess I'm hoping for something that looks like it contains a man's fragrance rather than a woman's perfume.

LOL that's a custom made french glass bottle. How are you planning on buying one? You clearly see the choices on offer are of very different class. Profumo.it might be able to help, he's got some very nice bottles, otherwise your chances of getting what you showed us, are low. Good luck in your search!

My advice to you is to get a vintage Moser crystal czech bottle. plenty floating around on ebay, or better off ebay.uk _ (bohemian crystal perfume bottle is more in a price range you are looking for, not as state of the art though)
    Last edited by outline; 7th May 2013 at 11:17 AM.

I'm not saying I want to buy that bottle. Obviously (sheesh, did I even need to say that?) I actually linked to several bottles, simply as examples of minimal yet handsome style. I'm saying, I'd like to find something with heavier glass and a bit more style than the decant style bottles I'm finding online.

Basenotes Member

If you just want one bottle for your own creation, I'd suggest browsing ebay listings using terms like decorative vintage cut glass bottle. I just did a quick search, and while most are feminine, there are a few masculine looking ones. You might even have better luck searching for antique bottles. It will take some work, but I bet eventually you will find the perfect one for yourself.

Thanks for the tip! In a perfect world, I'd like around 5 bottles... but they need not be the same. I'll check ebay!

The issue with the great majority of bottles used for perfumes is that they are crimp-top, meaning that a machine is used to seal the pump to the top of the bottle and rendering re-use a practical impossibility.

I've now placed an order with my new supplier and the 100ml bottle I've chosen for most of my range is this one:
    100ml-bottle-small-face-on.jpg100ml-bottle-small.jpg

I'm not sure if it's clear from the picture but it's a lot heavier than my current one - the empty bottle weighs 220g - a disadvantage for posting but makes it look and feel much nicer I think. The (screw-fit) pump and overcap actually cost more than the bottle itself when you're buying them separately too, which seems odd, but I guess reflects a more complex manufacturing process.

I'm actually using another, much more expensive, bottle for a masculine fragrance I'm releasing shortly but I'm not posting pictures of that just yet ;-)

Anyway once I have them I will be able to sell on those, as pictured, for £6 +P&P to anyone who wants just a few. If you are in the market for larger numbers just contact me and I'll come to an arrangement or put you in touch with the supplier directly.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

I love your Bottles Chris...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

That's a very nice bottle indeed. So minimal. I love it! God, I wish you were in the US!

Some of the museumshops sometimes sell replicas of perfume bottles, you could try google searching those.
    Very different from what you search but maybe someone else likes/searches for these www.HouseofEgypt.com/index04/index.html very ornate colorful perfume bottles for the folks who make oriental fragrances
    [COLOR=""]a rose is a rose is a rose[/COLOR]

Just as we're on the subject and there's not a lot around for those of us in UK and Europe: These people do pretty much anything you want but large order quantity only. Not much use to the op but for anyone retailing? www.continentalbottle.co.uk

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    I'm in touch with them but wondering what the shipping is going to cost and if there's a tax at this end payable. Could you give us any idea please Chris? Anything I've bought from US before usually seems to cost pretty much the same in postage as purchase price.

If you're just looking for one bottle, try Oleg Cassini's crystal bottles. I was able to get an almost perfect cube-shaped bottle in heavy crystal, for 8 dollars.

Y
    Quote Originally Posted by pickledtink View Post
    Just as we're on the subject and there's not a lot around for those of us in UK and Europe: These people do pretty much anything you want but large order quantity only. Not much use to the op but for anyone retailing? www.continentalbottle.co.uk

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in touch with them but wondering what the shipping is going to cost and if there's a tax at this end payable. Could you give us any idea please Chris? Anything I've bought from US before usually seems to cost pretty much the same in postage as purchase price.
    Shipping varies hugely but factor in one third to double and you won't be far wrong.

At a minimum you also need to expect VAT on import and sometimes duty as well - so 20% minimum and can be 30%. Using cheaper carriers means you'll get a bill for the extra prior to delivery & often a 2-3 week delay too. The more expensive couriers will expedite Customs clearance and bill you at the door or after delivery for the charges.

Oh and Continental only hold stock of crimp-top bottles - you are looking at a 20,000 minimum order for screw top.
    Last edited by Chris Bartlett; 19th January 2014 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Minor corrections
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett