Code of Conduct

Default Please review my collection (started 2 months ago)!

I sold my motorcycle and received a nice amount of money. I took it to sample and then purchase these:

Acqua di Gio
    L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme
    Avignon
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Himalaya
    Noir de Noir
    Pure Malt
    Ambre Narguilé
    I Love New York For All
    Sova (Slumberhouse)
    Midnight in Paris

Pretty happy so far. How would you diversify, if necessary?

Default Re: Please review my collection (started 2 months ago)!

Perhaps add an oud prominent scent, but you're off to a great start IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Thank you! It's funny, originally I said, "Okay, I have a fresh scent - Acqua, let me check Basenotes for a good cold scent."

Well, I did, and then it dawned on me by reading that I should have both warm weather and cold weather scents. Okay, but then in those seasons I would need situationally appropriate ones. So the list keeps expanding.

I still feel like I also have too much "sweet" in it, not enough spice - though spice is VERY difficult for me to be pleased by. I thought Noir is a nice oud, but it's too "datey" for common wear.

And a good leather based parfum too... Nice collection

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    And a good leather based parfum too... Nice collection
    Yikes, leather, tobacco, and oud are the hardest for me to pull off - I don't even enjoy those scents. Are there any mild ones that you would suggest?

Funny story, I tried Les Nombres d'Or. IMMEDIATELY began to wash it off.

I would suggest Vince Camuto For men as a light leather frag, give it a try and see what you think.
    Live Aloha! Live Da HIlife!

Remember to sample whatever you buy, and if you know you don't like something, don't force the issue.

A good light oud is Royal Oud by Creed. Since you like sweet fragrances, you might like Pure Havane for your tobacco, however, you already have Pure Malt.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Remember to sample whatever you buy, and if you know you don't like something, don't force the issue.

A good light oud is Royal Oud by Creed. Since you like sweet fragrances, you might like Pure Havane for your tobacco, however, you already have Pure Malt.
    Thanks. I sampled Royal Oud and it was nice, but I couldn't see where I would specifically wear it. Every other scent I've purchased I can see myself wearing.

Funny enough, Messe de Minuit by Etro is the one fragrance I want so badly, I love that. Avignon is also my other favorite. Other incense fragrances don't do it for me.

Looking for other "spooky" fragrances like Avignon, if you can recommend one feel free!

EDIT: I tried A*Men today, and it was too similar to Pure Malt (and not better than) for a purchase. Less boozey.

Honestly, your collection has some excellent stuff. If I were you, I'd slow WAY down on the buying and enjoy what you've got. I promise I'm not being snarky. It's easy to get out of control on the spending, and quite frankly, your collection rocks. Wear the heck out of it! If I were you, at this point, I'd just be buying samples. And if you want some samples that'll blow your mind, go to Parfums Raffy online and buy a few Amouage. I especially recommend Interlude Man (WOW!), Epic Man (big!), Memoir Man (moody!) and Jubilation XXV (Rich!). And go to decantshop.com and buy a few by Caron. Yatagan and Pour Un Homme.

As for what you've got: Really, you've done well.

I would recommend you smell the following:
    Dior Fahrenheit.
    Dior Eau Sauvage (the EdT, not the Parfum unless you're really a vetiver fan. The EdT is a classic, and frankly, it's better).
    Gucci Pour Homme II.
    Bvlgari Black (dude, it's $25 online, and it's excellent. Some say it smells similar to Midnight In Paris, but I don't agree. And it has a great bottle)
    Hanae Mori HM (sample it in a store, but buy it online. It can be had for as little as $30, and it's excellent)
    Narciso Rodriguez For Him (also cheap online despite being excellent. This is some moody stuff).

One last thought: How to diversify? Trust me, you'll know. You'll find the holes in your collection when you have a mood that nothing in your collection can fit.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Looking for other "spooky" fragrances like Avignon, if you can recommend one feel free!
    Encre Noir perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Honestly, your collection has some excellent stuff. If I were you, I'd slow WAY down on the buying and enjoy what you've got. I promise I'm not being snarky. It's easy to get out of control on the spending, and quite frankly, your collection rocks. Wear the heck out of it! If I were you, at this point, I'd just be buying samples. And if you want some samples that'll blow your mind, go to Parfums Raffy online and buy a few Amouage. I especially recommend Interlude Man (WOW!), Epic Man (big!), Memoir Man (moody!) and Jubilation XXV (Rich!).

As for what you've got: Really, you've done well.

I would recommend you smell the following:
    Dior Fahrenheit.
    Dior Eau Sauvage (the EdT, not the Parfum unless you're really a vetiver fan. The EdT is a classic, and frankly, it's better).
    Gucci Pour Homme II.
    Bvlgari Black (dude, it's $25 online, and it's excellent. Some say it smells similar to Midnight In Paris, but I don't agree. And it has a great bottle)
    Hanae Mori HM (sample it in a store, but buy it online. It can be had for as little as $30, and it's excellent)
    Narciso Rodriguez For Him (also cheap online despite being excellent).

One last thought: How to diversify? Trust me, you'll know. You'll find the holes in your collection when you have a mood that nothing in your collection can fit.
    Thank you so much. I'll have to revisit Bvlgari Black, when I tried it I thought I was in a tire store and don't know how that can be appealing! But hey, that's me - maybe I should be more confident in wearing "masculine" scents like Bois Blond, Bvlgari Black, or any other leather/tobacco scents.

I'm looking for a dark, mysterious, bad boy one without the lusty side that Noir de Noir has. I need that scent.

By the way, I also tried Farenheit - felt too "aquatic spicey" to me. Literally two sides of the coin that I'm not a fan of combined into one haha!

Great point on how to figure out where the holes are!

You're damn right, I need to slow down and WEAR it. Even the ones I've had for awhile are pretty much full! I'll need to incorporate AM / PM sprayings, though also need to figure out how to get rid of the smells before the PM spray.

Really appreciate the support sir!

You sold your Motorcycle to get into scents?!!!! Really great, I can't believe that! sounds that you're a true Basenoter!
    A good collection you have made with nice choices.
    Just try Terre d'Hermes either EDT or Pure Parfum, Costume National Scent Intense and Homme, Dior Homme Intense, D&G PH, Azzaro PH, Fahrenheit, LIDGE and Givenchy Play Intense and Xeryus Rouge.
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Here's a tip for Bvlgari Black. Spray it on your arm and then ignore it for an hour. Yeah, it starts off as such a rubber smell... almost kind of naughty... but it's going to evolve into a great vanilla you'd wear on a date.

You're damn right, I need to slow down and WEAR it. Even the ones I've had for awhile are pretty much full! I'll need to incorporate AM / PM sprayings, though also need to figure out how to get rid of the smells before the PM spray.
    Yeah, well, I only know because I did the same thing last year. Been there! Now, I'm pretty much addicted to samples. Man oh man do I love samples!

I spray in the morning, and I dig into samples at night.

Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    You sold your Motorcycle to get into scents?!!!! Really great, I can't believe that! sounds that you're a true Basenoter!
    A good collection you have made with nice choices.
    Just try Terre d'Hermes either EDT or Pure Parfum, Costume National Scent Intense and Homme, Dior Homme Intense, D&G PH, Azzaro PH, Fahrenheit, LIDGE and Givenchy Play Intense and Xeryus Rouge.
    Ha, well the only reason is because I outgrew my 250r and wanted to focus on improving myself in other ways. Took a decent chunk of change and thought, "Well, it'll improve how I carry myself, how others perceive me, and women love it - why not?" Plus, I love smells.

How did you get into it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Here's a tip for Bvlgari Black. Spray it on your arm and then ignore it for an hour. Yeah, it starts off as such a rubber smell... almost kind of naughty... but it's going to evolve into a great vanilla you'd wear on a date.

Yeah, well, I only know because I did the same thing last year. Been there! Now, I'm pretty much addicted to samples. Man oh man do I love samples!

I spray in the morning, and I dig into samples at night.
    Thanks for the tip. Pardon my beginner's ignorance, but is all vanilla the same?

In 2 months? Damn.. I'm slow >.>

And poor
    Current favourite: Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by Emospence View Post
    In 2 months? Damn.. I'm slow >.>

And poor
    And I spend way too much. I'm not rich, just graduated from university with a good paying job without any debt.

<-- needs self-control!

Basenotes Plus

Needs more Fahrenheit.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Needs more Fahrenheit.
    I don't get it, people love this but it seems generically spicey?

Ha, well the only reason is because I outgrew my 250r and wanted to focus on improving myself in other ways. Took a decent chunk of change and thought, "Well, it'll improve how I carry myself, how others perceive me, and women love it - why not?" Plus, I love smells.

How did you get into it?
    good luck my friend, you have a good taste and decided a nice decision. Hope you enjoy this journey and your frags to the last drop!
    I was into it from many times ago, maybe high school. Due to my parents affinity to good smelling scents!
    I'd be glad to read more from you...
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    good luck my friend, you have a good taste and decided a nice decision. Hope you enjoy this journey and your frags to the last drop!
    I was into it from many times ago, maybe high school. Due to my parents affinity to good smelling scents!
    I'd be glad to read more from you...
    Thank you for your welcoming words, I look forward to reading yours as well sir!

Are you sure you smelled the right one? It's neither aquatic, nor spicy. There are some crappy flankers, though. Fahrenheit, for most people, smells like gasoline. Although it's not something I'd personally wear, it's a genius composition.
    Last edited by deadidol; 5th May 2013 at 08:16 AM.

Fahrenheit, as well as many great fragrances, needs to be worn for at least an hour (preferably more) to be fully appreciated. It's not for everybody, but it's amazing stuff.

A very good starting collections. Any advice about diversifying your already versatile and tastefully selected collection would have to take into account which categories you like and are interested to further expand/branch out into/experiment with.

+ 1 on "slow down" Enjoy what you've got for a few months.

Great collection dude.

...11 scents: no masterpieces, mainly gray mediocrity or worse...! Looks like a relative waste of money!

You've got a good mixture including incense and amber fragrances. If you like oud, I agree that Creed Royal Oud is the acceptable face of oud. I think I've just found my ideal incense, and Royal Oud will probably be the oud I go for. Nice collection!

On the Oud side, By Killian Incense Oud is worth sampling.

Yikes, leather, tobacco, and oud are the hardest for me to pull off - I don't even enjoy those scents. Are there any mild ones that you would suggest?

Funny story, I tried Les Nombres d'Or. IMMEDIATELY began to wash it off.

Then I suggest that you not buy a tobacco, leather, or oud scent.

For a good sweet mild tobacco and leather scent i would suggest west third brand tobacco 1812. Pretty under the radar, but smells real good. Also, if you like sweet scents, you need to add dior homme intense. Nothing better imo.

L'eau d' Issey and ADG are very similar to me.

Some here love and promote Fahrenheit, but to me it smells more like grease and oil, rather than gasoline.

Get a cheapie powerhouse, masculine scent, like Bogart Pour Homme or Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme.

And I'll bet you would like Prada Amber Pour Homme.

Some tobacco scents are OK, but I agree with you that leather and oud don't cut it. Also, most women don't care for those scents.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erok32 View Post
    Then I suggest that you not buy a tobacco, leather, or oud scent.
    Now there's a brilliant reply....
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

I really like the ones you picked up! Great start.

You said you like Avignon, and wanted other "spooky" suggestions -

Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    On the Oud side, By Killian Incense Oud is worth sampling.
    This is it. Also covers "oud", but really well done.

I would also suggest some other Bond No. 9 sampling:
    Bleecker Street
    New Haarlem
    Chez Bond

may be up your alley.

Just keep your eyes on Basenotes, and when you read something that makes you intrigued, try to get your hands on a sample.
    Congrats on your new fragrances - and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...11 scents: no masterpieces, mainly gray mediocrity or worse...! Looks like a relative waste of money!
    Sova is "gray mediocrity"? Please elaborate on how you came to this conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Sova is "gray mediocrity"? Please elaborate on how you came to this conclusion.
    ...where do you read that I find Sova 'gray mediocrity'...?

Sell the Creeds and get some old school classics. Paco Rabanne XS would do as well as Himalaya for about a fifth of the price, and you also get monsieur De Givenchy and Givenchy Gentleman vintage, Chanel Egoiste, some vintage YSL scents, a couple of classic Guerlains, say Heritage and another one, plus maybe Dior Homme.
    Oh, and Rive Gauche for sure.

Looks like a nice selection of fragrances. Some good ones to sample would be M7, Rive Gauche, Egoiste, Gucci Pour Homme I and II, Dior Homme, and Fahrenheit just to name a few.

What hednic said. You could use some lovely wood in your lineup. Other than that. Lots of really good frags in your newly founded wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    What hednic said. You could use some lovely wood in your lineup. Other than that. Lots of really good frags in your newly founded wardrobe.
    In what situation would you wear it?

Personally, at any time. I don't really wear fragrances based on the situation. More or less, I choose what to wear on a certain day based on emotion and occasionally weather. I do find myself wearing wood based fragrances year-round. More so in the spring and fall months. I'll wear them to the office or out on a date. I wore CDG Wonderwood yesterday (65 degrees and sunny) to a friend's while we watched a sporting event.

In what situation would you wear it?

And I spend way too much. I'm not rich, just graduated from university with a good paying job without any debt.

<-- needs self-control!
    I'm doing part time college studies and paying for it myself.. That should explain it a bit lol..

Plus, I'm saving up for a pair of custom earphones so the fragrance collection is gonna have to be on hold!
    Current favourite: Spiritueuse Double Vanille