Code of Conduct

Default Chanel - Bois des Iles - Opinions?

Hey everyone, I'm kind of confused. As a fan of the classic Egoiste (not PE), I'm thinking about blind-buying Bois des Iles. Unfortunately, I can't test it before purchasing. To be honest, I like fougere/chypre scents like Dior Eau Sauvage (classic EDT most, but 2012 EDP version is okay too) and Chanel pour monsieur. I also like wearing Terre d'Hermes (Perfume). I also get quite often complimented on them. On the other side, Egoiste is a scent I wear exclusively for my own pleasure; compliments are rather seldom.

What do you think about Bois des Iles? Juding by my taste, do you think I should get it? Does it get really "girly floral"? That annoyed me with Rue Cambon...

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Chanel - Bois des Iles - Opinions?

I own Bois des Iles EDT & Parfum but given your comments I wouldn't suggest you blind buy it.

Two reasons: (a) the aldehydic opening will probably have you running for the hills, and (b) the sweetness, what some call 'the ginger bread note' might be too much for you.

My suggestion (given Egoiste / sandalwood / classic styling seem to be your broad starting point) would be to try Tiffany for Men, which was composed by Jacques Polge, who created Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree (and in the same year) and so far seems to have dodged the IFRA reformulation bullets flying around, and also, just for the hell of it, the new Dries van Noten Par Frederic Malle, which I predict will become a cult classic when more people get to know it. It is not the same scent as Egoiste but it has the same sense of satisfaction for me and looks like being the first of a new breed of sandalwood scents using some actual Santalum Album (Olivia Giacobetti's L'Arbre from IUNX) being the second.

You can buy either of these blind and if you don't like 'em tell everyone it was my fault

Quote Originally Posted by alchemist297 View Post
    What do you think about Bois des Iles? Juding by my taste, do you think I should get it?

Thank you in advance!
    IMO Yes.

I think you should go for it, it is AMAZING! It is one of my absolute favorite fragrances, along with …goÔste I own the EdT.
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

It is a very nice scent. A little ruthless for the first hour, but it really is a well made fragrance.

But my advice for blind buying is the same for gambling - if you can afford it, sure. If you really need it to be a hit with you, then probably not.

Try Barry Lyndon on skin, you should like it. Drydown reminds me a bit of Egoiste.

A very fine fragrance, own it and love it, but i am against blind buy; also ---->>>
    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    A little ruthless for the first hour

FWIW, I strongly dislike Egoiste, but Bois des Iles is probably my favorite fragrance in the world.

I would certainly not characterize Bois des Iles as a girly floral, although it will probably feel more feminine to you than Egoiste.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

BdI is quite male friendly. You like Pour Monsieur. BdI has the same kind of vintage vibe going on.
    Not that they are alike in smell, but they share that classic, vintage touch of the old days.
    I say go for it. Everybody likes BdI. It has zero negative feedback here on BN fx.

And if you don't like it, your mama's gonna treasure it for sure.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post

And if you don't like it, your mama's gonna treasure it for sure.
    Lol

I love BdI and don't care for Egoise. I also love Rue Cambon but cannot wear it bc it's too pretty for me. BdI is no where as pretty as Rue Cambon. I wouldn't characterize BdI as macho but it's not feminine either.

If you like Egoiste, you should like BdI. It is supersmooth and centered on creamy and woody sandalwood notes. It is not a fougere or a chypre, but it isn't floral either - nothing really like rue Cambon. As others have said, it is not as masculine as Egoiste, but neither is it feminine.

But, as others have said, blind buying is always risky, so you should buy only if it is ok budgetwise.

cacio

Got a bunch of samples od BdI the other day with my bottle of CdR. They smell vaugely similar to my nose and I can't put my finger on why. Having said that I think CdR is the superior scent. I wouldn't blind buy BdI personally. It's hard to hate but I can't guarantee you'll love it either.
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

After the first hour it is something that I think you will enjoy. However, during the first hour the aldehydes might be something that takes some getting used to, it's a bit feminine, but not in a floral way (a bit powdery off the top.) It's a beautiful fragrance and I think you'll find it as such if you enjoy Egoiste.

BdI is pretty good. It's a bit sweet for my tastes though. The perfect sandalwood is Creed Bois de Santal if you can find it.

I have and love both Egoiste and Bois des Iles. I have never really got the strong connection made between the two. Yes to the sandalwood, of course but that's it. As a guy I have no problem wearing BdI and would recommend it to other guys on its own merits, but I wouldn't suggest you blind buy it. Get a 1ml decant or something like that. It is beautiful but you could easily dislike it.

As with Sticky Threads opinion, I can see the resemblance the sandalwood carries in both scents. But I think it ends there- respectively they are two beautiful (and in many ways unisex) scents and will stay classic forever. I for one love Bois Des iles and as many have mentioned before is a timeless beauty, quite like pour monsieur it exudes a timeless quality and can be worn almost anywhere and anytime.

Basenotes Plus

Imo Bois des Iles is more male-friendly than 31 rue Cambon. Fyi I love & wear both.