Code of Conduct

Thread: Which Heeley?

Default Which Heeley?

Hi,

As I haven't got the chance to sample either of these yet, I would like to ask those who have.

Which has better longevity out of these two fragrances from Heeley:

Sel Marin
    Menthe Fraiche

And does Sel Marin gives off a Millesime Imperial vibe?

Thanks

treeman5823

Default Re: Which Heeley?

My favorites are Iris de Nuit, Cuir Pleine Fleur, and Esprit du Tigre. The latter two last longer than Iris, Marin, and Menthe because they have more fixatives (birch tar, etc.). Try as many as you can!

Sel Marin

Basenotes Plus

Sel Marin is very very different from Millesime Imperial!!

SM is salty, dry, dirty, seawater-like. MI is sweet, flowery, cotton candy in a bottle.

I have not tried menthe fraiche on skin, but I think it will not last as long as sel marin - vetiver type of notes are very long lasting. And, as others have said, it is quite different from MI - more striking and more interesting, with its fresh salty dry notes.

cacio

Menthe Fraiche is an excellent fragrance, but it's more of a "fragrance snack" than it is a full-days wear type of thing. 4 or so hours of longevity...but what a 4 hours it is! Sel Marin lasts longer, more like 5-7 hours. I love both, but if I had to only own one it would probably be MF.

And no, MI and Sel Marin are not similar.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Menthe Fraiche is an excellent fragrance, but it's more of a "fragrance snack" than it is a full-days wear type of thing. 4 or so hours of longevity...but what a 4 hours it is! Sel Marin lasts longer, more like 5-7 hours. I love both, but if I had to only own one it would probably be MF.

And no, MI and Sel Marin are not similar.
    I agree. I have never smelled a mint frag that was as natural as Menthe Fraiche, BUT it is a fleeting fragrance. I like Cardinal and Oranges & Lemons say the Bells of St. Clements... OK, OK, I only like saying "Oranges & Lemons say the Bells of St. Clements" I don't really care for its smell.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Sel Marin has good longevity, especially if you get it on your shirt.

No, I have never thought of a similarity between MI and Sel Marin.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...emons-Batucada

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Iris de Nuit is my favorite.. Sel marin lasts 6 hrs or so on me, all salty.
    Current Top 5:
    1. DHI
    2. Oud Wood
    3. Aventus
    4. By. Kilian A Taste of heaven
    5. Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I agree. I have never smelled a mint frag that was as natural as Menthe Fraiche, BUT it is a fleeting fragrance. I like Cardinal and Oranges & Lemons say the Bells of St. Clements... OK, OK, I only like saying "Oranges & Lemons say the Bells of St. Clements" I don't really care for its smell.
    Both fleeting -- menthol is hard in fragrances, the molecule evaporates very quickly apparently, so a substitute has to be used.

Not sure for the excuse with 'bells....' though.

Sel Marin like MI? Behave yourself

Sel Marin.

Sel Marin. Menthe Fraiche is great when its there but, it barely lasts on my skin.

If you like restraint and minimalism, Heeley is a great house to explore. Cuir Pleine Fleur and Sel Marin are definitely my favorites with an honorable mention to Cardinal (clean and transparent incense) and Iris De Nuit (smooth powdery iris).

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Member

As others have suggested, MI and Sel Marin are not at all similar. I'd also add Heeley's Verveine to your list. It's a very clean minimalist scent that stays close to the skin but it's well grafted.

Sel Marin and...No.

Both really nice fragrances. If you love mint, Menthe Fraiche is the way to go. I love mint, and love this fragrance, find the longevity is around 4 to 6 hours with very good projection.

Sel Marin is a beautiful aquatic, the best available, imo, and now's the time to buy it as the weather warms up. Longevity is anywhere from 6 to 8 hours, in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by daverasi View Post
    I'd also add Heeley's Verveine to your list.
    +1
    I can't speak to its longevity but Verveine smells great indeed.