Code of Conduct

Default A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

Yesterday I wore Dzongkha to a Tibetan Buddhist Ceremony.
    Today I wore Dzing! to the zoo.

I can report:
    They are both lovely.
    Dzongkha smells nothing like Bhutanese incense.
    Dzing! smells nothing like tiger s**t.

I've been going back and forth about Dzongkha. In colder weather it was a sharp, salty, rice wine vinegar scent with a dash of rooty iris. Now that the sun is out, the fragrance has unfolded: still very green up front but dryer. Once the initial sharp greenery has died down, there's some smoky tea along with the iris and vetiver, the incense note is rather sweet and the drydown is long, resinous, warm and comforting. It doesn't have the slightly spice-rack-in-the-barnyard vibe of Himalayan incense but that doesn't matter in the slightest.

Dzing! on the other hand has a fair amount of barnyard, but it's an impressionist barnyard. All the good things about stables, for instance: warm beasts, freshly cleaned tack, straw. There's a sumptuous creaminess in there somewhere (sandalwood?) and a hint of apricot, though minute compared to Daim Blonde. Of the two Dzs, Dzongkha is slightly more feral, perhaps: the wild tiger splashing up a tropical stream overhung with orchids, while Dzing! is the tame tiger lying at the feet of a Maharaja who happens to be wearing Savile Row tailoring and a pair of bespoke riding boots...

Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

Really interesting review. Thanks!
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

treeman5823

Both are beautiful. Dzing! is unlike anything available today.

Nice review. I personally rate these both among the worst fragrances I have ever worn, but I like your detailed analysis of them both.

Correction: I dislike Dzongkha immensely, but I find Dzing quite nice. I was thinking of something else.
    Last edited by dougczar; 7th May 2013 at 03:19 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Your review painted a wonderful picture of the Dzs. Both scents are exotic and among my favorites of the L'Artisan house.

I've only tried Dzongkha. Loved that spicy and dry hot pepper and how is sweetened by the Leeche. Oh yes the incense is beautifull too. I need to smell Dzing.
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

Own both and love both.

Dzing...elephant butt, cotton candy and a leather whip! All in the best possible way! I adore Dzing. About to get my hands on some Dzongkha, which I can't wait to try.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Own both and love both.
    Me, too.

So I was standing in front of the tiger enclosure with three very, very large and beautiful tigers pacing up and down less than a meter away from me. It was feeding time and one of the zookeepers was talking over a PA system, explaining what the tigers ate and what they liked. She mentioned that among other things they give them perfume to play with, which apparently sends them completely mad with excitement, scent being a very big part of the tiger universe.

I had the strange feeling that here I was, wearing a scent with a tiger on the bottle, with three gigantic, fanged and clawed fragrance-freaks just beyond a fence which was more or less glorified chicken wire...

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Own both and love both.
    Ditto.
    Especially Dzing. Nothing else like it.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Somebody here did send a set of samples to the local zoo to see which ones the felines preferred - don't know if there was a follow up.

Did the tiger appear to consider you as a meal - or were they already well fed? But then elephants (as bog said) are too big for tigers to eat. Perhaps real deer musk might have generated other reactions.

cacio

I guess you read the review of these two fragrances that came out yesterday by the marathon blogger and fragrance critic at Kafkaesque blog: http://akafkaesquelife.wordpress.com...san-parfumeur/

KAFKAESQUE really doesn't like either one of these DZ'S fragrances and she takes little time to tell the reasons why. I really enjoy reading her fragrance reviews and I think she is a very good writer. I recommend her blog for staying tuned into what's new in the fragrance world. But, writing and blogging talent (which Kafkaesque has plenty of) along with fragrance scent taste, do not always happen with consistent excellence within the same person. i disagree with her opinion on these two and I like both of them. I don't absolutely love the Dz's fragrances, but I do like them quite a bit. Why? They smell good to me. They evoke pleasant associations when worn at the right time and situation.

Dzongkha might be a little to dry in its attempt at a cool leather toned incense while Dzing attempts to sell its typical musk leather warmth as "circus odor". Once people smell the barnyard odors from Dzing and hear that it is inspired by the circus they immediately think elephant poop. If they just focused on the far eastern leatheriness of the fragrance like Muscs Koublai Khan does the fragrance Dzing would be praised more often. It actually smells very good - but try to keep the image of circus tent droppings apart from the imagery the company provides to get the story and you won't like the way it smells either.

Thanks for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I guess you read the review of these two fragrances that came out yesterday by the marathon blogger and fragrance critic at Kafkaesque blog: http://akafkaesquelife.wordpress.com...san-parfumeur/

KAFKAESQUE really doesn't like either one of these DZ'S fragrances and she takes little time to tell the reasons why. I really enjoy reading her fragrance reviews and I think she is a very good writer. I recommend her blog for staying tuned into what's new in the fragrance world. But, writing and blogging talent (which Kafkaesque has plenty of) along with fragrance scent taste, do not always happen with consistent excellence within the same person. i disagree with her opinion on these two and I like both of them. I don't absolutely love the Dz's fragrances, but I do like them quite a bit. Why? They smell good to me. They evoke pleasant associations when worn at the right time and situation.
    No, I hadn't read this. Rather an odd coincidence... I did happen to be wearing Dzongkha to a Buddhist thing (being a Buddhist) and they were burning Bhutanese incense. And yesterday we decided to take the kids to the zoo and so I thought, for a laugh, I'd wear Dzing. A bizarre bit of synchronicity.

I enjoy Kafkaesque's reviews as well but in this case her findings are the exact opposite of mine. I don't get the plastic synthetics she does in Dzing (and I've never got the cotton candy or elephant dung either) and I don't get dustiness from Dzongkha - astringent it may be, but on me it's damp and green. Yet another illustration of the total subjectivity of fragrance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Thanks for the review.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Somebody here did send a set of samples to the local zoo to see which ones the felines preferred - don't know if there was a follow up.

Did the tiger appear to consider you as a meal - or were they already well fed? But then elephants (as bog said) are too big for tigers to eat. Perhaps real deer musk might have generated other reactions.

cacio
    The tigers were pretty well-fed. If I was feeling sentimental I'd say they viewed me as a potential playmate, but I was probably more of a fall-back snack option. They were so beautiful, though, that it would almost have been an honour to provide them with lunch...

dislike'em both!