Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 32
  1. #1

    Default A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Yesterday I wore Dzongkha to a Tibetan Buddhist Ceremony.
    Today I wore Dzing! to the zoo.

    I can report:
    They are both lovely.
    Dzongkha smells nothing like Bhutanese incense.
    Dzing! smells nothing like tiger s**t.

    I've been going back and forth about Dzongkha. In colder weather it was a sharp, salty, rice wine vinegar scent with a dash of rooty iris. Now that the sun is out, the fragrance has unfolded: still very green up front but dryer. Once the initial sharp greenery has died down, there's some smoky tea along with the iris and vetiver, the incense note is rather sweet and the drydown is long, resinous, warm and comforting. It doesn't have the slightly spice-rack-in-the-barnyard vibe of Himalayan incense but that doesn't matter in the slightest.

    Dzing! on the other hand has a fair amount of barnyard, but it's an impressionist barnyard. All the good things about stables, for instance: warm beasts, freshly cleaned tack, straw. There's a sumptuous creaminess in there somewhere (sandalwood?) and a hint of apricot, though minute compared to Daim Blonde. Of the two Dzs, Dzongkha is slightly more feral, perhaps: the wild tiger splashing up a tropical stream overhung with orchids, while Dzing! is the tame tiger lying at the feet of a Maharaja who happens to be wearing Savile Row tailoring and a pair of bespoke riding boots...

  2. #2
    Dependent bigsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisc.
    Posts
    3,283

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Really interesting review. Thanks!

    Club de Nuit Intense Man
    Al-Rehab Dakar
    Van Cleef and Arpels pour homme
    Bleu de Chanel edp
    Nabeel Arab Tradition
    Armani Acqua di Gio Profumo
    CK One Shock
    Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

  3. #3
    treeman5823
    Guest

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Both are beautiful. Dzing! is unlike anything available today.

  4. #4
    Basenotes Institution dougczar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    27,995

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Nice review. I personally rate these both among the worst fragrances I have ever worn, but I like your detailed analysis of them both.

    Correction: I dislike Dzongkha immensely, but I find Dzing quite nice. I was thinking of something else.
    Last edited by dougczar; 7th May 2013 at 02:19 AM.

  5. #5
    Basenotes Plus
    CapriDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sai Gon, Vietnam
    Posts
    11,196

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Your review painted a wonderful picture of the Dzs. Both scents are exotic and among my favorites of the L'Artisan house.

  6. #6

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    I've only tried Dzongkha. Loved that spicy and dry hot pepper and how is sweetened by the Leeche. Oh yes the incense is beautifull too. I need to smell Dzing.
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

  7. #7
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil
    Posts
    224,229

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Own both and love both.

  8. #8

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Dzing...elephant butt, cotton candy and a leather whip! All in the best possible way! I adore Dzing. About to get my hands on some Dzongkha, which I can't wait to try.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,923

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Own both and love both.
    Me, too.

  10. #10

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    So I was standing in front of the tiger enclosure with three very, very large and beautiful tigers pacing up and down less than a meter away from me. It was feeding time and one of the zookeepers was talking over a PA system, explaining what the tigers ate and what they liked. She mentioned that among other things they give them perfume to play with, which apparently sends them completely mad with excitement, scent being a very big part of the tiger universe.

    I had the strange feeling that here I was, wearing a scent with a tiger on the bottle, with three gigantic, fanged and clawed fragrance-freaks just beyond a fence which was more or less glorified chicken wire...

  11. #11

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Own both and love both.
    Ditto.
    Especially Dzing. Nothing else like it.
    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    18,435

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Somebody here did send a set of samples to the local zoo to see which ones the felines preferred - don't know if there was a follow up.

    Did the tiger appear to consider you as a meal - or were they already well fed? But then elephants (as bog said) are too big for tigers to eat. Perhaps real deer musk might have generated other reactions.

    cacio

  13. #13

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    I guess you read the review of these two fragrances that came out yesterday by the marathon blogger and fragrance critic at Kafkaesque blog: http://akafkaesquelife.wordpress.com...san-parfumeur/

    KAFKAESQUE really doesn't like either one of these DZ'S fragrances and she takes little time to tell the reasons why. I really enjoy reading her fragrance reviews and I think she is a very good writer. I recommend her blog for staying tuned into what's new in the fragrance world. But, writing and blogging talent (which Kafkaesque has plenty of) along with fragrance scent taste, do not always happen with consistent excellence within the same person. i disagree with her opinion on these two and I like both of them. I don't absolutely love the Dz's fragrances, but I do like them quite a bit. Why? They smell good to me. They evoke pleasant associations when worn at the right time and situation.

    Dzongkha might be a little to dry in its attempt at a cool leather toned incense while Dzing attempts to sell its typical musk leather warmth as "circus odor". Once people smell the barnyard odors from Dzing and hear that it is inspired by the circus they immediately think elephant poop. If they just focused on the far eastern leatheriness of the fragrance like Muscs Koublai Khan does the fragrance Dzing would be praised more often. It actually smells very good - but try to keep the image of circus tent droppings apart from the imagery the company provides to get the story and you won't like the way it smells either.

  14. #14
    Basenotes Institution sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    33,845

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Thanks for the review.

  15. #15

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I guess you read the review of these two fragrances that came out yesterday by the marathon blogger and fragrance critic at Kafkaesque blog: http://akafkaesquelife.wordpress.com...san-parfumeur/

    KAFKAESQUE really doesn't like either one of these DZ'S fragrances and she takes little time to tell the reasons why. I really enjoy reading her fragrance reviews and I think she is a very good writer. I recommend her blog for staying tuned into what's new in the fragrance world. But, writing and blogging talent (which Kafkaesque has plenty of) along with fragrance scent taste, do not always happen with consistent excellence within the same person. i disagree with her opinion on these two and I like both of them. I don't absolutely love the Dz's fragrances, but I do like them quite a bit. Why? They smell good to me. They evoke pleasant associations when worn at the right time and situation.
    No, I hadn't read this. Rather an odd coincidence... I did happen to be wearing Dzongkha to a Buddhist thing (being a Buddhist) and they were burning Bhutanese incense. And yesterday we decided to take the kids to the zoo and so I thought, for a laugh, I'd wear Dzing. A bizarre bit of synchronicity.

    I enjoy Kafkaesque's reviews as well but in this case her findings are the exact opposite of mine. I don't get the plastic synthetics she does in Dzing (and I've never got the cotton candy or elephant dung either) and I don't get dustiness from Dzongkha - astringent it may be, but on me it's damp and green. Yet another illustration of the total subjectivity of fragrance.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Thanks for the review.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Somebody here did send a set of samples to the local zoo to see which ones the felines preferred - don't know if there was a follow up.

    Did the tiger appear to consider you as a meal - or were they already well fed? But then elephants (as bog said) are too big for tigers to eat. Perhaps real deer musk might have generated other reactions.

    cacio
    The tigers were pretty well-fed. If I was feeling sentimental I'd say they viewed me as a potential playmate, but I was probably more of a fall-back snack option. They were so beautiful, though, that it would almost have been an honour to provide them with lunch...

  16. #16
    Dependent Francolino's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Over Yonder
    Posts
    6,330

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    dislike'em both!

  17. #17

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Just bought them both.
    Wearing Dzongkha tonight. Very deep and complex.

    Don't understand why it doesn't get more attention around here.

    Such an interesting Vetiver.....IMO not much out there like it.
    Intoxicating blend of Vetiver and incense mixed with beautiful peony and Iris sweetened a bit by the Lici....which comes across almost raspberry like rather than grape like.
    Man this one is so dang interesting and compelling.

    Can't wait to wear Dzing
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

  18. #18
    Dependent Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    2,852

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Quote Originally Posted by Dandydude View Post
    Just bought them both.
    Wearing Dzongkha tonight. Very deep and complex.

    Don't understand why it doesn't get more attention around here.

    Such an interesting Vetiver.....IMO not much out there like it.
    Intoxicating blend of Vetiver and incense mixed with beautiful peony and Iris sweetened a bit by the Lici....which comes across almost raspberry like rather than grape like.
    Man this one is so dang interesting and compelling.

    Can't wait to wear Dzing
    I'm interested to see if you also get an elephant poop vibe from Dzing.

    Someone recently showed me a video in which Dzing was the favorite of 12 from the house owned by robes08(?). At any rate, you and I have similar tastes and if you smell circus tent droppings in this one then he'll be yet another YouTube reviewer to scratch off.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #19

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I'm interested to see if you also get an elephant poop vibe from Dzing.

    Someone recently showed me a video in which Dzing was the favorite of 12 from the house owned by robes08(?). At any rate, you and I have similar tastes and if you smell circus tent droppings in this one then he'll be yet another YouTube reviewer to scratch off.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll let you know.
    Dzongkha isn't like a lot of the ones you and I normally like. It's deep, rich, smoky......tons going on. That said I think you will, at the very least, appreciate it.
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

  20. #20

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Tried to like Dzongkha over the years but can't get by its bitterness. Love Dzing though.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

    Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait


    My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

    http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

  21. #21
    Basenotes Plus
    MrsDalloway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    I liked Dzongkha immediately, then went off it - lychee and incense - and sold on. Dzing! was the reverse; much too weird at first, but it preyed on my mind and I soon got to love it. Warm, slightly dirty leather.

  22. #22
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil
    Posts
    224,229

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Quote Originally Posted by Dandydude View Post
    Just bought them both.
    Wearing Dzongkha tonight. Very deep and complex.
    Congrats on the pair!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  23. #23

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Quote Originally Posted by OdilonRedon View Post
    I've been going back and forth about Dzongkha. In colder weather it was a sharp, salty, rice wine vinegar scent with a dash of rooty iris. Now that the sun is out, the fragrance has unfolded: still very green up front but dryer. Once the initial sharp greenery has died down, there's some smoky tea along with the iris and vetiver, the incense note is rather sweet and the drydown is long, resinous, warm and comforting.
    That's one of the most accurate descriptions of Dzongkha I've ever read, per my nose's interpretation of it. It's very dry, sharp, somewhat sour (rice wine vinegar! Great association!), and smoky, and I can absolutely see where some would abhor it. I like it a lot.

    Dzing! is also a lovely scent, but after the opening bardyard/circus extravaganza, which is spot on, the simple powdery leather base starts to lose my attention. I prefer Eau d'Hermes in this category.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  24. #24

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Update:
    Just gave Dzing a full wearing and, while it's not unbearable, I do find it challenging.

    I don't get the dung vibe most talk about but I do get a pissy civet like note that reminds me of Kuros.

    Dzing doesn't smell like Kuros but it's got that same pissy note.

    It also has a sweetness to it (like candy apples) and lots of musk mixed with leather.
    I get the circus remarks...

    It's certainly very anamalic which I normally don't gravitate towards, but it's really not bad.

    The opening is severely off putting to me but after 10 minutes or so it starts to settle and after an hour it's actually quite nice.
    I need to wait for cooler weather and try it again.
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

  25. #25
    Dependent Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    2,852

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Quote Originally Posted by Dandydude View Post
    Update:
    Just gave Dzing a full wearing and, while it's not unbearable, I do find it challenging.

    I don't get the dung vibe most talk about but I do get a pissy civet like note that reminds me of Kuros.

    Dzing doesn't smell like Kuros but it's got that same pissy note.

    It also has a sweetness to it (like candy apples) and lots of musk mixed with leather.
    I get the circus remarks...

    It's certainly very anamalic which I normally don't gravitate towards, but it's really not bad.

    The opening is severely off putting to me but after 10 minutes or so it starts to settle and after an hour it's actually quite nice.
    I need to wait for cooler weather and try it again.
    Thanks for the update.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    Nothing is written!
    NorstrÝm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    4,372

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Quote Originally Posted by Dandydude View Post
    Update:
    Just gave Dzing a full wearing and, while it's not unbearable, I do find it challenging.

    I don't get the dung vibe most talk about but I do get a pissy civet like note that reminds me of Kuros.

    Dzing doesn't smell like Kuros but it's got that same pissy note.

    It also has a sweetness to it (like candy apples) and lots of musk mixed with leather.
    I get the circus remarks...

    It's certainly very anamalic which I normally don't gravitate towards, but it's really not bad.

    The opening is severely off putting to me but after 10 minutes or so it starts to settle and after an hour it's actually quite nice.
    I need to wait for cooler weather and try it again.
    It surely is a bit challenging, but dries down to a more well mannered and gourmand sweet leather.

    When I tried my first full wearing of Leather Oud, it reminded me a lot of Dzing! without the more gourmandy elements and with added oud.

    I think Dzing! could be a great alternative for people not wanting to pay the high price of leather oud, or just want a less challenging version of it, as Dzing! doesn't have the hint of blue cheese that LO does.
    ďTo defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.Ē
    Grand Admiral Thrawn


  27. #27

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    It surely is a bit challenging, but dries down to a more well mannered and gourmand sweet leather.

    When I tried my first full wearing of Leather Oud, it reminded me a lot of Dzing! without the more gourmandy elements and with added oud.

    I think Dzing! could be a great alternative for people not wanting to pay the high price of leather oud, or just want a less challenging version of it, as Dzing! doesn't have the hint of blue cheese that LO does.
    They both do seem to be challenging. I'm sure I will wear neither one of them very much but Im glad I have them anyway.
    Any thoughts on tea for two?
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

  28. #28
    Nothing is written!
    NorstrÝm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    4,372

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Quote Originally Posted by Dandydude View Post
    They both do seem to be challenging. I'm sure I will wear neither one of them very much but Im glad I have them anyway.
    Any thoughts on tea for two?
    Tea for Two is easy to wear and likable to most people.
    It's a spicy/smoky cuppa tea served in a rubber mug and sweetened with a dash of honey
    Glad to own it, like it, but I rarely wear it. The autumn rains will probably call me to wear it in a month or 1 1/2, fits the mood and season.
    ďTo defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.Ē
    Grand Admiral Thrawn


  29. #29

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    Tea for Two is easy to wear and likable to most people.
    It's a spicy/smoky cuppa tea served in a rubber mug and sweetened with a dash of honey
    Glad to own it, like it, but I rarely wear it. The autumn rains will probably call me to wear it in a month or 1 1/2, fits the mood and season.
    Thanks!
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

  30. #30
    Basenotes Plus
    DanHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Posts
    1,761

    Default Re: A Tale of Two Dzs... Dzing! and Dzongkha

    I wore Dzing from my big sample a couple days back. It's one where it totally clicks one wear and is blah or worse on others. But it's fun to roll dice and enjoy when it hits.

Similar Threads

  1. Dzongkha, Dzing! or Timbuktu?
    By Buysblind in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 10th January 2013, 11:04 PM
  2. Timbuktu vs Dzongkha
    By spirit966 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 28th October 2012, 01:18 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 6th August 2009, 02:27 PM
  4. LV Musk vs. Dzongkha
    By Tonyprince in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5th December 2007, 08:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000