Code of Conduct

Default Best 'designer' beach scents for men...

Hey guys,

I'm deliberating over which scent(s) are best suited for a hot beach environment, either from my current arsenal, or something reasonably priced which I could purchase easily.

From my wardrobe, the only frags which spring to mind are as follows;

Mugler Cologne
    Bleu de Chanel
    Cool Water Pure Pacific
    Beckham Signature
    Mochino Uomo?
    Prada Infusion D'homme

Seen lot's of raving reviews on Creed VIW, but don't really want to by a niche frag just for the beach, hence why I'm looking for a great designer scent.

Appreciate thoughts/suggestions as ever.

Rgds
    G

Default Re: Best 'designer' beach scents for men...

Guerlain Homme L'eau

Mugler Cologne or Prada Infusion. If you want something similar to VIW try Tommy Bahama Set Sails St. Bart's.

Nautica Oceans if you want to keep it inexpensive

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Dior's Dune pour Homme.

CK One. Light and cheap. Or 4711. In any case, you're going to sweat it or swim it off.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

+1 for Dior Dune Pour Homme. Very unique summer fragrance.

I guess that from the list above, Mugler Cologne and Bleu de Chanel effortlessly rank among the best. Other possible suggestions: Dior Homme Sport, Boss Elements Aqua.

Mugler Cologne

Bronze Goddess or Azure Soleil.
    Don't let the name fool you, easily worn by a man and one of the best designer beach scents.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

i like wearing versace eau fraiche on hot sunny days at the beach. But if youre looking for one with an actual sea smell then bvlgari aqua is the way to go

Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Bart's

Can't go wrong with Nautica Voyage.

Is there such a thing as a "hot beach environment" in the United Kingdom?

Last time I was in London in the middle of summer I recollect that over 10 days, we had one warm 27 degree C day.

Really, anything fresh will do for the beach. It's also a good place to use up those scents that you think are okay, but aren't overly wrapped with. I remember using up a whole bottle of Benetton Sport down the beach, thinking it was just okay - but wound up getting quite a few positive comments.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Dior's Dune pour Homme.
    that's it!

Not trying to offend, but why wear a fragrance at a beach? When I go to the beach I a) sweat, b) apply sun block and c) go swimming. Any fragrance would wash off pretty quickly. Or do you sit in the shade?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragmeister View Post
    Not trying to offend, but why wear a fragrance at a beach? When I go to the beach I a) sweat, b) apply sun block and c) go swimming. Any fragrance would wash off pretty quickly. Or do you sit in the shade?
    One likes to smell nice while building up a rich sun tan.
    And not everybody is a keen swimmer - I can't swim for peanuts - but I love the beach.
    Also, if the water is cold, there's no need to fully submerge early in the day and wash the scent away.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Sel de Vetiver by TDC

I wear Set Sail St. Barts or Mugler- Set Sail is nice, but it also smells alittle bit like someone spilled a margarita in your lap.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post

Last time I was in London in the middle of summer I recollect that over 10 days, we had one warm 27 degree C day.

Really, anything fresh will do for the beach. It's also a good place to use up those scents that you think are okay, but aren't overly wrapped with. I remember using up a whole bottle of Benetton Sport down the beach, thinking it was just okay - but wound up getting quite a few positive comments.
    Regards,
    Renato
    You won't find a beach in London In any case, in the UK you need to be fortunate with the year. Cornwall is better for a warm or hot day in the summer.

I travel, so this explains how I know what a hot beach is like. Swimming is my only way of coping at the beach. I get bored easily just lying there, and the water cools me down. Otherwise I turn as red as a cooked lobster. Guess that comes from my skin type. For me, therefore, the fragrance would be wasted, but I suppose if I were to wear one, I'd go for CK One or something else that's cheap to reapply and is nice and light.

SoCal - Hollister

Perfect for the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by dudelove View Post
    Guerlain Homme L'eau
    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Bart's
    +1 for each of these. Guerlain Homme L'eau is like a mojito, and Tommy Bahama is like a tequila/lime/oceanic mix.

I travel, so this explains how I know what a hot beach is like. Swimming is my only way of coping at the beach. I get bored easily just lying there, and the water cools me down. Otherwise I turn as red as a cooked lobster. Guess that comes from my skin type.
    Haha, exactly the same as me. The perks of being British!

Mugler Cologne are far ahead of the rest.

Dunhill Fresh is a good fragrance as well that is slept on it is by master perfumer Maurice Roucel (i.e. Rochas Man, New Haarlem, Musc Ravageur, etc.)

If you are actually going to the beach, don't waste your money on designer fragrances! I'd stick with Cool Water or Nautica Voyage. They are aquatic, smells great and cheap enough to constantly reapply after swimming or surfing. If you are planning to just lay by the beach and not get wet, then consider Bulgari Aqua Marine or Versace Eau Fraiche. They smell wonderful in the hot weather. If you are going to a nice seaside resort for nice lunch or semi formal dinner, then bring on the Virgin Island Water!

Kenzo Pour Homme

anything bay rum
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

I prefer the smell of suntan lotion for the beach. If you are wearing any it will most likely dominate what fragrance you have on. You can wear a scent like Bond's Fire Island or just use the real thing.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Yeah, I generally sunblock the hell out of myself on the beach, and then proceed to sit and drink beers in the sand. (disguised in McDonalds cups. You fill the cup 1/4 up with ice, drop the beer can in, and rock a straw through the lid into the can.)

Be careful with photosensitivity. Some fragrances can make you burn more easily.

live jazz would be refreshing.

make sure to check out Burberry Summer. Massive compliment-getter and a great scent in my opinion.

Bleu would be nice. Mixed with Boots Factor 30.

Fleur du Male Cologne, Armani Code Sport, Live Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    Don't let the name fool you, easily worn by a man and one of the best designer beach scents.
    +1
    I was a little hesitant to mention this one, but I own both the fragrance and the body oil. If you remember what the Coppertone tanning oils smelled like in the 80's, then this one will take you right back to that time in a heart beat. Totally agree that it can be worn very easily by a man.
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

I go with Fierce for days on beach/

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post

Regards,
    Renato
    Lol Renato! I agree with the lack of a 'beach environment' in the UK, hence why I'm heading somewhere tropical! You should have been here during our glorious summer of 2012! Wettest Summer for 100 years, need I say more?

On the whole 'beach frag' thing, maybe I should have been more specific. I was looking for a frag to wear during a beach holiday in general. I.e for evenings out on a beach resort, as well as for the morning, before heading into the sun.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated.

I've decided against buying yet another frag (this holiday is already costing me a fortune!) - going with Mugler Cologne & Bleu de Chanel for day and Mont Blanc Individuel for night.

Bergamotto Marino

Banned
    Blog Entries

versace fraiche

Swimming is my only way of coping at the beach. I get bored easily just lying there, and the water cools me down. Otherwise I turn as red as a cooked lobster. Guess that comes from my skin type. For me, therefore, the fragrance would be wasted, but I suppose if I were to wear one, I'd go for CK One or something else that's cheap to reapply and is nice and light.
    You sound like my cooked lobster wife, who is also of British extraction.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Giannino View Post
    Lol Renato! I agree with the lack of a 'beach environment' in the UK, hence why I'm heading somewhere tropical! You should have been here during our glorious summer of 2012! Wettest Summer for 100 years, need I say more?

On the whole 'beach frag' thing, maybe I should have been more specific. I was looking for a frag to wear during a beach holiday in general. I.e for evenings out on a beach resort, as well as for the morning, before heading into the sun.
    Yes, well so much for the Met Office predictions from a decade ago of a hotter future.

On reflection, it occurs to me that if one doesn't stick one's head in the water much or at all (it messes up my hair), the beach is also a good place to make use of those strong aftershave splashes and balms that one gets in gift sets - since the won't wash off. I must try this next summer.
    Cheers,
    Renato

At the actual beach I wouldn't bother because because I'd be applying sunscreen and swimming, so it seems a bit pointless. I'd rather enjoy the smell of the sea.

Then again there are plenty of places I wouldn't wear scent.

At a beach resort I think Bleu and infusion could work well. I also like the idea of AdG. It really depends on the vibe of the place. I'm imagining white sand and cool, clean linen shirts and shorts.

+1 Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts. Also, Lill Bermuda South Water, though the longevity isn't good, but the smell is.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    Which one is is it? Bronze Goddess I assume you are saying a man can pull off. Didn't you used to be a big fan of Fire Island?