Code of Conduct

Default Please Tell me About The Dior Homme Line

It seems that every two posts here at BN, one post mentions Dior Homme Intense, Dior Homme Sport or Dior Homme. It is just below the popularity of Aventus. I remember when Dior Homme was launched, and it was considered a pioneer fragrance (iris for men), but people neither dicussed it all that much, nor declared love for it so often.

Now that the line has expanded, even more fans seem to have joined the group. I can't recall how many "top ten best lists" have been populated with DHI or DH. They really have a cult status now.

So, apart from Dior Homme, which I already know and like (even though I think it is a very soft perfume for a man), can you please tell me about the other two perfumes in the range? Are they similar to Dior Homme by any chance? Should I buy them if I already have Dior Homme?

Default Re: Please Tell me About The Dior Homme Line

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Are they similar to Dior Homme by any chance? Should I buy them if I already have Dior Homme?
    Similar but not the same. Whether you buy them is ultimately your choice. Are they redundant? IMO No.

No, Daniel, you don't need DHI if you have DH. They are almost the same, but DHI has been hyped way more

I haven't smelled Dior Homme, but I have DHI (reformulated) and DHS (original).

What I enjoy with both of these is their rich and refined fragrance. Quality ingredients for a reasonable price.

DHI exudes a gentle masculinity, almost understated but yet attracts attention due to its subtleties.

DHS, wow I must have done everything but get a sample before buying this, all the reviews I saw would say how it was an elegant fresh smell. That's exactly what it is, the citrus is bright and crisp but not harsh and medicinal. It's just a different kind of citrus going on with DHS. I think they added Iris to the 2012 reformulation and toned down that bright citrus, which is the star of the show in the original formulation. I need to try the reform though.

Personally, I was surprised by how different DH and DHI are. Similar vibe? Yes. But the scents themselves are quite different. I prefer DHI.

Why not buy samples and decide for yourself? The only way to know what you will think of them is for you to smell them.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

DH and DHI are similar, but DHI is deeper - less iris IMO. If you keep a small collection, they may be a little redundant, but if you are a collector, or love one of them, the other would be worth seeking out to try.

DHS (both 2008 and 2012) are completely different. DHS 2012 happens to have a touch of iris in it, but these are both sport-type fragrances. Nothing like DH/DHI.

Banned
    Blog Entries

DHI IS DEEPER AND HAS MORE CEDAR THAN IRIS WHILE DIOR HOMME IS IRIS DOMINATED. I HAVE BOTH BUT DON'T CARE FOR dHS

I like both DH and DHI, but there were times when I didn't feel like wearing DHI because it smelled a bit too perfumey for some situations. DHS is a totally different fragrance. The 2012 version is basically a summer version of Dior Homme.

DH and DHI are leaves on the same branch. Meaning they share similarities but no two leaves are alike they all have their own unique characteristics.

DHS is a totally different tree in a different climate altogether.
    Last edited by frostyicy; 6th May 2013 at 01:44 PM.

I own and enjoy both DH and DHI. That being said for me DHI is a tad more masculine, more sensual and has that WOW factor that DH doesn't. I wouldn't normally recommend a blind buy but I could see blind buying DHI if you like DH.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

Get a sample to see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    DH and DHS are leaves on the same branch. Meaning they share similarities but no two leaves are alike they all have their own unique characteristics.

DHS is a totally different tree in a different climate altogether.
    I think you mean to say DH and DHI are leaves on the same branch?
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

In my opinion, standard-issue Dior Homme is the best of the entire line.

DHI takes on this plasticy cacao in the heart notes. To me, it smells more feminine than Dior Homme.

DHS just isn't good enough.

DHI is very similar to DH. DHS is not similar. Lots of ginger and lemon. Very good fresh frag.
    Are you really in Brazil Mr Plainview?
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I found DHI to be like a flip-flopped Dior Homme, and I mean that in a good way. DHI begins where Dior Homme leaves off - with the cocoa from the drydown. I find them to be quite different, though obviously related. If you love one, I can definitely see wanting the other.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Get a sample to see for yourself.
    This is the answer. Frankly, it's the only answer that makes sense unless you're made of money and don't mind wasting it on a blind buy. I'll never understand why more fragrance houses don't offer up sample collections. Most consumers don't care who makes a fragrance. They buy the one smell they like, or the name of the scent they were told to buy. Dior should offer three options: a 1.7oz, a 3.4oz, and a 3.4oz pack with 1ml spray samples of their other same-gender scents. Good grief, somebody needs to teach the suits that they'll sell even more if they turn fans of a scent into fans of their house.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    DHI is very similar to DH. DHS is not similar. Lots of ginger and lemon. Very good fresh frag.
    Are you really in Brazil Mr Plainview?
    Yes, I am really in Brazil, why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    I think you mean to say DH and DHI are leaves on the same branch?
    You are correct and I thank you.

Neither is particularly pricey, and I'd just get a sample of them to see for yourself.

I've tried only the original DH and DHI, and the reformulated versions (pretty sure I have tried the Sport, but to be honest I don't recall much about it so I can't offer an opinion).

To me, all four versions of DH and DHI are sufficiently similar that 90% of the public couldn't tell the difference. While I can tell them apart and prefer the original DH of the four, really, if you own one, it's not worth owning the others. Many will disagree, some strongly; but I'd rather spend my money on a totally different fragrance than two at-most-minimally-different versions of the same unique scent.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Banned
    Blog Entries

dior homme intense and dior homme are similar, both very good, but i prefer dior homme.

dior homme sport is pretty good too.

Dior Homme/Dior Homme Sport 2012 are different enough to own both. Dior Homme Sport 2012 is my current favorite out of my entire collection (which is actually smaller, to be fair..than most) I thought about selling Creeds to buy back-ups of this fragrance.

It is a classy sport fragrance, something that could easily be worn with a suit. It is really well-blended and smooth.

I bought the original when it first came out. This is around the time that I left Basenotes for a long while.
    It is very good but if you look back at the archived threads, there were comments that it smelled like a woman's make up bag, lipstick and all.

I was very surprised to come back all of these years later and see how popular all of the version still are, especially the DHI.

In my opinion, the flankers are high quality enough and, at the same time, different enough to be worth owning in addition to the regular, initial DH.

dior homme and the flankers are in my opinion contemporary classics, popular and yet substantial and well-done compositions.... dhs 2012 is the only sport scent I like, but DH, DHI, and Dior Homme Cologne (2007, not the one that came out just recently) are superior.

I tried DHI at the store and it smelled like.... DH (which I have).

I'm intrigued by the comments which say they smell THAT different. They may, since there are two, but as my mom would say (about similar shirts I buy), "if you wear one today and the other tomorrow, no one will tell the difference".
    Looking for split pal - Oud Ispahan and Ombre dans l'eau

current dh amd dhi are closer to one another than vintage dh and vintage dhi.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    In my opinion, the flankers are high quality enough and, at the same time, different enough to be worth owning in addition to the regular, initial DH.
    Very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Duver View Post
    I tried DHI at the store and it smelled like.... DH (which I have).

I'm intrigued by the comments which say they smell THAT different. They may, since there are two, but as my mom would say (about similar shirts I buy), "if you wear one today and the other tomorrow, no one will tell the difference".
    How funny - and really quite fair of an assessment. I do the exact same thing with clothes, by the way. I went shopping with a friend and held up a shirt I liked to get her opinion. She asked "Don't you already own that?" The answer was no, but I couldn't deny that I owned something similar. In the end, it comes down to a question of "How much do I like this?" I liked the first shirt enough that I'd buy another... so, buying one that's similar but a little different makes sense.

DH and DHI are that way. Yeah, they're similar to most people, but if you love the scent, you'll notice - and appreciate - the differences.

Personally, I prefer DHI - not because it's more intense. I don't actually find it to be particularly intense. I just prefer the opening over the Dior Homme opening.

If you like Dior Homme enough to think about buying a backup bottle, I'd say, buy DHI instead. They're similar but different enough that a fan will notice even though a friend or a date might not. Might not? OK, the friend or date probably wouldn't notice a difference between the two when you wear them, but who cares. Buy it for your own pleasure, or don't buy it because it doesn't please you enough to justify the purchase. That's my take, anyway.

Dior Homme Sport is a different scent entirely.

Smelling DH and DHI side by side, the difference is obvious. However, I have to say that before I got familiar with them, I thought they were quite similar.. Don't need get the other if you already have one IMHO.

That said, go with DHI if you decide to only go with one

DHS is a fresh summer daytime scent to me, completely different!
    Current favourite: Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I think DHI is way more gourmand than DH. Pretty different although they share a similar style. DH and DHC are really similar though. I went from hating DHI to wanting to never be without it.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

There are a number of recommendations in here to purchase samples, so I'll go and ask a dumb question: where?
    I contacted Dior since there's no retailer that even carries Fahrenheit within 50 miles of me and the nearest Dior boutiques where they have DH (and DHI?) are over 300 miles away. They do not ship out individual samples (even for purchase) and recommended I visit the boutique which obviously isn't going to happen.

Anyone have experience buying DH and DHI samples? I'd actually prefer the reformulation since I know I won't be shelling out for vintage. Thanks.
    Last edited by tehmatrix; 7th May 2013 at 08:11 PM.