Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Lemony lemons with a spritz of lemon...

That's what I'm looking for. I've been looking at Profvmvm Roma's Acqua Viva and I've read from many reviews that it is the king of Lemons...as far as super bright and citrusy lemons go, so here is my question for all of you that have experience with this frag...do YOU consider it the king of lemons?
    If I own and love Monsieur Balmain would I love this one too, and is it different enough to own both?
    I've read that it compares to Annick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien, and, if that's true, how similar? I love Eau d'Hadrien in the beginning, but then it dries down to have a very strong hairspray note on my skin...I would be sad if Acqua Viva did the same. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you could give me. I just love lemons, and I would love to know more about this one...I definitely wouldn't blind buy this one especially for the cost!!

Default Re: Lemony lemons with a spritz of lemon...

If you own and love Monsieur Balmain, you have reached the lemon pinnacle IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. Lemon. Nothing else. And amazingly long lasting.

Good to know...thanks!

Apart M'sieur Balmain,
    Eau Sauvage by Dior maybe?
    And..
    Never tried the now-dirty-cheap "Capucci pour Homme"?
    alternatively the discontinued M7Fresh by Saint Laurent.

Check out Dior Eau Sauvage.

If you want real lemony lemon, there is nothing like C O Bigelow Lemon Eau de Parfum

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/prod...ductId=3433602

Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

You might want to try Boucheron Pour Homme EDP or CEDRAT INTENSE by Parfums d' Nicolai.

Straight-up natural smelling lemon is Guerlain Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat (the way it smells now) and longevity is fairly good for this EdT (2-3 hours).

Basenotes Plus

Strong +2 on Monsieur Balmain as the most lemon-intensive scent, however there is a nice composition of notes surrounding the persistent lemon...truly a fantastic fragrance and one I highly recommend to those 'looking' in this realm.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. Lemon. Nothing else. And amazingly long lasting.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I love lemon as well, Balmain is definitely the best lemon out there. I think Creed's Bois de Cedrat is very nice as well. Crown perfumery Esterhazy is almost as lemony as Balmain and still can be found if you look around, it's discontinued and a feminine, but it's really entirely unisex.

Creed Bois de Cedrat is the strongest lemon I've smelled, but I haven't sampled many of the ones mentioned above.

Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte

Lemon Mary Greenwell

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Check out Dior Eau Sauvage.
    This

I'm sorry Eau d'Hadrien doesn't work for you. I think it's the king of lemony scents.

But nearly as good is Creed's Bois de Cedrat. It's a bit less "bright" than EdH. The only knock is that Bois de Cedrat has awful longevity, even in a category whose longevity is already minimal. When I wore it more often, it wasn't out of the ordinary for it to be totally gone within an hour.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Seems like you want to push it to a zest level?
    Well, I would like to know too, I like lemons.

Additional recommendation: possibly YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I don't think I've smelled a more realistic lemony lemon than i Profumi di Firenze Limone di Sicilia

Lots of lemon zest/rind in there.
    http://www.barneys.com/i-Profumi-di-...efault,pd.html

I only wish it lasted longer, but that's the way it is with citrus.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 7th May 2013 at 11:07 AM.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by karon View Post
    Seems like you want to push it to a zest level?
    Well, I would like to know too, I like lemons.
    Exactly...I love Monsieur Balmain but it has a little warmth to it that doesn't make it as sparkly and bright as I would like it. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the fragrance, I was just wondering if there was another that was a little more "zesty" as you said.

And Perfumecollector...I love the first 30 minutes of CO Bigelow's Lemon but then it goes super sharp and SUPER hairspray like on my skin for about 3 hours, then it dries down to amazing...I don't know if it's just my chemistry or what but man it's bad during that time...it does have fantastic longevity though, and you can't beat the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    Exactly...I love Monsieur Balmain but it has a little warmth to it that doesn't make it as sparkly and bright as I would like it. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the fragrance, I was just wondering if there was another that was a little more "zesty" as you said.

And Perfumecollector...I love the first 30 minutes of CO Bigelow's Lemon but then it goes super sharp and SUPER hairspray like on my skin for about 3 hours, then it dries down to amazing...I don't know if it's just my chemistry or what but man it's bad during that time...it does have fantastic longevity though, and you can't beat the price.
    I'm not kidding. You might wanna custom make it yourself with lemon/lemon grass/lime/citronella essential oils, alongside with a punchy alcohol.

Basenotes Plus

"Zesty"...interesting. I don't know if you have tried it, but Eau de Rochas Pour Homme is wonderful, *sparkling* and zingy! I have enjoyed the older formulation, but heard there was not much difference with the newer. It is not cheap, but very high quality.

Another one to consider is Annick Goutal's brilliant Hadrien Absolu for Men - an EdP of exceptional depth and a lot of wonderful lemon (juice, pulp, rind) - you will get the zest for sure. It is a rich and complex creation of olfactory art by the Goutal house. I, too, really admire Eau d'Hadrien - but found something unique and incredibly well done. Here is a link to the scent, recently added here on Basenotes: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26132988.html - my in-depth review of sheer admiration is there.

Cheers,

ericrico

“Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Eau de Menton. Cheap and excellent lemony goodness. Check it out....
    Also consider DR Harris freshening cologne. A seriously acidic lemon.

I am big fan of profumum
    Just bite the bulet and buy profumum you won't regret

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    ^^^^^^ This

I have, or have tried, most of the above scents, most have decent lemon topnotes, however, none even come remotely close to Monsieur Balmain, you've got the lemoniest lemon out there.

Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne is the king of lemons to me. Sweet natural lemons.
    Watch my recent video reviews of
    Prada Luna Rossa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_dv7TAmfrA
    Dior Homme Cologne 2013 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvutqcq00y4

Monsieur Balmain is indeed very good. I sampled Acqua Viva and wasn't overwhelmed with it. I didn't feel it was worth the investment.

Give Eau de Guerlain a try, has a very strong lemon smell.

Though not "lemony lemons with a spritz of lemons," Eau de Guerlain is a fantastically zesty eau de cologne. You should consider it.

Crown Esterhazy
    Guerlain Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat
    Alvarez Gomez Agua de Concentrada

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Kielecki View Post
    I am big fan of profumum
    Just bite the bulet and buy profumum you won't regret
    +1 I agree
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Have you tried Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche?

On me, it is straight lemon from the get go to the amazing drydown you mention. You are right, the opening and the drydown are better than the heart, nevertheless, it is still a great fragrance.
    And again, if there is a "lemony lemon fragrance", this is it, period. Those that mention Balmain, or BoC, etc obviously have not smelled Bigelow's Lemon yet.
    I am curious about Limone di Sicilia, I bet is very lemony also.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

++1 for this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    If you want real lemony lemon, there is nothing like C O Bigelow Lemon Eau de Parfum

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/prod...ductId=3433602

Eau de Reglisse (Caron). Very lemon-y, with a little licorice added. Mandragore (Annick Goutal) lots of lemons, with black pepper added. Ninfeo Mio, lemons and figs, but Eau de Hadrian is straight up lemons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Additional recommendation: possibly YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration
    Exactly this!
    My most favorite scents that I can't be without:
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Fahrenheit

If you're looking for a very long lasting singularly beautiful lush lemon it is definitely Acqua Viva. I, too enjoy Monsieur Balmain, but Acqua Viva is in a different category.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticatedscent View Post
    If you're looking for a very long lasting singularly beautiful lush lemon it is definitely Acqua Viva. I, too enjoy Monsieur Balmain, but Acqua Viva is in a different category.
    When you say it's in a different category, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that it's better than Monsieur Balmain, or do you mean it's just different? Thanks

Both. Acqua Viva is a straight up lemon scent, nothing more nothing less. Monsieur Balmain has more going on. I detect woodsy middle and base notes with Monsieur Balmain. I very much enjoy MB, but Acqua Viva is better if you are strictly looking for a very long lasting lemon scent.