Code of Conduct

Default Dior's Privee line

Hey there

I bought a 125ml bottle of Ambre Nuit from this line for a decent price, but I've noticed that it has the old label with "cologne" written on it. I was just wondering when the label change happened and whether I should be worried about the condition of the juice.

Cheers

Default Re: Dior's Privee line

I'm sure the fragrance is fine. I think it happened about the same time they discontinued Cologne Blanche from the privee line.

Do you have a picture? I've not seen that before.

But it should be fine really.

for swap/sale:

The old label had "cologne" written on it as bellow

Oh well, I can't return it anyway so I guess only time will tell.

Thank you for the help.

Ambre Nuit was only launched in 2009, so your bottle cannot be all that old.

It's fine; before Dior decided on expanding the Privee line they had an old version (yours) which said "cologne" on it. They changed it awhile ago but your bottle should be fine since, as mentioned above, Ambre Nuit was released in 2009.

Thank you for your reassuring words, I just hope that it was stored properly.

Does anybody know how much these go for at the Dior boutique? I got this 125ml bottle for £68 (~$105) "new".

Can I ask where you got it from? The 125ml bottles are £125 at the Dior boutiques.

It was from an online auction I'm afraid. Looks like I got a good deal then.
    Last edited by GSHARP; 6th May 2013 at 10:35 PM.

I got both new and old bottles. I prefer the older juice.

Quote Originally Posted by NELSON29 View Post
    I got both new and old bottles. I prefer the older juice.
    Ooh, so was this reformulated? That is nice to know.

IMO, yes. Still great juice. I get a lot of compliments.

It was reformulated to near-edp strength. Someone from Dior actually told me that it's an edp now but I'm hedging what I'm saying because I don't know for sure. The new stuff is out-of-this-world good. Don't know about the older cologne version. You paid a very low price. If you want to feel good about what you paid, check ebay in the US. It's been hard to get in the US and some ebay sellers have been asking for prices that are wayyyy over retail.

I just received my bottle but I have found something odd. The bottle came with the spray in a pouch and the top screwed onto the bottle. When I put the sprayer on, the top doesn't fit over it. The sprayer itself is also black while the ones I've seen on youtube are silver. Do the 250ml and 125ml bottles have different sprayers?

It just seems odd to have a sprayer bare like that without a top.

Can anybody enlighten me? Cheers.

The 125ml and 250ml come with the sprayer attached and no pouch.

Do you have the 400ml one?

for swap/sale:

It's fine, no worries.

Google image search Cologne Blanche, a discontinued fragrance from this line and you will see some pics of the previous packaging just like the one that you have.

I did a bit of research and found this thread...

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/297...-of-Dior-Prive

If you look at hednic's post, the previous bottles apparently came with a screw on sprayer, which was changed later with the fixed sprayers. The juice in this one seems to be more potent than the one in the sample I got from presumably one of the newer bottles and if my brain isn't playing tricks on me, slightly richer too. The sample has a sprayer so I am applying similar amounts on my skin.

It's just a bit odd that when you have the sprayer on, the top no long fits on the bottle. I have to remove the sprayer in order to screw on the top. I'm not sure, but is it not unadvised to leave the sprayer bare to the open air without a cover of some sort? Does anyone have any experience with these older bottles and whether the sprayer is meant to be uncovered as I described?

The Dior exclusives were originally released back in 2004 as a sort of aggregate to the Dior Homme fashion line under chief designer Hedi Slimane. He later left Dior and is now at YSL (or, as he renamed it, San Laurent Paris) and was replaced as head of Dior's men's line by Kris van Assche. This line of special "colognes" was originally conceived as a selection of men's fragrances and consisted of Bois d'Argent, Eau Noire, and the now discontinued Cologne Blanche. Ambre Nuit was added in 2009. All bottles featured the screw-on sprayers without a top and were supposedly designed by Slimane himself.

In 2010 this line of men's fragrances (minus Cologne Blanche) was incorporated into the new Collection Privée which was far more comprehensive and included many more new releases (like Leather Oud, Granville, Cologne Royale and Vétiver) plus a number of fragrances primarily targeting women. That line has been steadily expanding since 2010 with additional relases including Patchouli Impérial, Oud Ispahan, Grand Bal, and the brand-new Gris Montaigne. Unlike Slimane's 2004 line, the Collection Privée bottles have a fixed sprayer and a magnetic lid. It seems the original Slimane-line fragrances underwent some reformulation as well as they became part of the new Collection Privée and achieved a higher perfume concentration than before.

I have an original bottle of Eau Noire with the screw-on sprayer and you are right, the top doesn't fit when the sprayer is in place. Like you, I don't think it's a good idea "to leave the sprayer bare to the open air without a cover of some sort" (although at least Eau Noire was really potent already in the 2004 formulation and probably suffers little without a top), so I put a simple plastic top over it that I took from whatever ordinary spray bottle that happens to fit. The problem is that the bottle doesn't travel very well that way and the screw-on design was heavily criticized here and elsewhere for precisely these reasons and a few others. Good thing they gave it up, although screw-on sprayers are actually not that unusual (houses like Serge Lutens and Miller Harris feature them as well, although with fitting tops).
    Last edited by Dane77; 11th May 2013 at 01:42 AM.

I really appreciate the detailed reply. Thank you.

I know it's a bit anal, but the bottle looks goofy in my collection with the sprayer and no top. Ah well, I did get it for a good price so I can't really complain. The main thing is that it smells great, and I can see myself using it regularly so I won't have to put up with the goofy aesthetics for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane77 View Post
    The Dior exclusives were originally released back in 2004 as a sort of aggregate to the Dior Homme fashion line under chief designer Hedi Slimane. He later left Dior and is now at YSL (or, as he renamed it, San Laurent Paris) and was replaced as head of Dior's men's line by Kris van Assche. This line of special "colognes" was originally conceived as a selection of men's fragrances and consisted of Bois d'Argent, Eau Noire, and the now discontinued Cologne Blanche. Ambre Nuit was added in 2009. All bottles featured the screw-on sprayers without a top and were supposedly designed by Slimane himself.

In 2010 this line of men's fragrances (minus Cologne Blanche) was incorporated into the new Collection Privée which was far more comprehensive and included many more new releases (like Leather Oud, Granville, Cologne Royale and Vétiver) plus a number of fragrances primarily targeting women. That line has been steadily expanding since 2010 with additional relases including Patchouli Impérial, Oud Ispahan, Grand Bal, and the brand-new Gris Montaigne. Unlike Slimane's 2004 line, the Collection Privée bottles have a fixed sprayer and a magnetic lid. It seems the original Slimane-line fragrances underwent some reformulation as well as they became part of the new Collection Privée and achieved a higher perfume concentration than before.

I have an original bottle of Eau Noire with the screw-on sprayer and you are right, the top doesn't fit when the sprayer is in place. Like you, I don't think it's a good idea "to leave the sprayer bare to the open air without a cover of some sort" (although at least Eau Noire was really potent already in the 2004 formulation and probably suffers little without a top), so I put a simple plastic top over it that I took from whatever ordinary spray bottle that happens to fit. The problem is that the bottle doesn't travel very well that way and the screw-on design was heavily criticized here and elsewhere for precisely these reasons and a few others. Good thing they gave it up, although screw-on sprayers are actually not that unusual (houses like Serge Lutens and Miller Harris feature them as well, although with fitting tops).
    Thanks for the reply, i had a few doubts too that you cleared.