Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 58
  1. #1

    Default Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Hi BN'ers,
    I am a 33 year old father of 3, I work as a sales manager (inside a bank) and wear a suit daily. I am looking for a signature scent. I'd ideally like to keep it under $120. Currently, I wear TDH and just picked up Him Hanae Mori. I like them both but feel they are a bit much for work. Here's the kicker, I smoke.. Fresh scents don't seem to work well with me cause of this. I loved Versace Man (purple) but the wife cannot stand it. I do a good job of masking the smoke and only have two while at work. Any advice would be much appreciated.

    Brian
    Last edited by BarRoomHeroes; 6th May 2013 at 01:06 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Gucci Pour Homme II...?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  3. #3

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Chanel Bleu de Chanel

  4. #4

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Platinum Egoiste
    My Top 10

    1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui



    "A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

  5. #5
    Basenotes Institution dougczar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    12,004

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    All of the above are worth a look. Also maybe:

    Tom Ford for Men (a sweeter tobacco note like Versace Man), but a much less sweet fragrance overall.

  6. #6
    Dependent del's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,923
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Check out Rive Gauche Pour Homme (tin can) by YSL and Silver Mountain Water by Creed.





    3746
    Currently wearing: Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    75% New York, 25% Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    191

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Tom Ford Extreme is worth a look

  8. #8
    Basenotes Institution sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    15,824

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Dior Homme Intense

  9. #9

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Dior Homme. If you bump up your budget to $150 I'd say discounted Creed Royal Oud.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman
    Currently wearing: Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

  10. #10

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Thanks for all the great suggestions, a few trips to Nordstrom are on this weeks agenda..

  11. #11
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,374

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Finding the right perfume= +8 on the smell good meter. Stopping smoking = +infinity.

    I'm a former 10 smoker and am not coming from a self righteous position. It was only after I quit that I realized how bad I smelled. Just saying.

  12. #12
    Basenotes Plus
    senore01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NEW YORK CITY
    Posts
    3,866
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Chanel Bleu de Chanel
    +1, Bleu de Chanel. Great summertime fragrance.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Chanel Allure Homme is one that fits the bill and wont break the bank. Certainly one of my all time favorites.

  14. #14
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Bķzios
    Posts
    109,362

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Bois Du Portugal but tends to be on the pricey side. Bleu de Chanel should work fine.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    LIDGE by Guerlain , the cocoa will cover the nicotine smell. Also Dior Homme Intense is a good option.

  16. #16
    Basenotes Institution dougczar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    12,004

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    Finding the right perfume= +8 on the smell good meter. Stopping smoking = +infinity.

    I'm a former 10 smoker and am not coming from a self righteous position. It was only after I quit that I realized how bad I smelled. Just saying.
    I gotta agree. Smoked for many years. Once I quit, I could smell a smoker from 10 feet away.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    you want to be carful not to smell like the boyfriends of your tellers ....for this reason you should stay away from Bleu or any popular scent that can be bought at the mall that could also be used for going out..

    Platinum Egoiste , Lhomme ...great scents appropriate for your job and if you wanted to only own one cologne those are good. Do you want to wear the same thing on a romantic night out? Playing poker with your buddies? you may want to consider more than one.. it can be like playing golf... you are better with more than one club...
    you have many other options. And I would get a work scent and a night out scent at least

    for work I recommend Guerlain Homme...it can be had online at discounters for half the price of egoiste and has the fresh mint, the density to handle your smoke and the vetiver dry down that is preferred by professionals. another is Guerlain L Instant de Guerlain... not the extreme version.. this is also highly professional...
    Another great one is Chanell Allure edition blanche... you have to order it from chanell but it is one of the best work scents highly complimented and perfect for a bank.

    you can go niche at discounters... Bond #9's and Creeds can be had for the 120.... their is a great youtube community.... here is a good vid from a respected reviewer to get you started for work...

    http://youtu.be/OjzDdLir_As

    my recommendations if you are just starting out is get aleast one for work and one for night out.. and look at niche.,,., many are worth it and can be got a great price... if you want people to smell you and say wow... choose wisely

    good luck
    Last edited by Foxxworthi; 6th May 2013 at 04:44 AM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    I second the Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain... My SO is a smoker too and this smells fabulous on him.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    If you bump up your budget to $150 I'd say discounted Creed Royal Oud.
    Yeah, Royal Oud is nice. I've seen it go as low as $120-$130 on ebay through reputable sellers (like Fragrancenet).

  20. #20

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    I think I'm going to buy Guerlain L Instant de Guerlain and give it a try. Any suggestions on which website to purchase from? Thanks for the reply. You were spot on about the tellers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxxworthi View Post
    you want to be carful not to smell like the boyfriends of your tellers ....for this reason you should stay away from Bleu or any popular scent that can be bought at the mall that could also be used for going out..

    Platinum Egoiste , Lhomme ...great scents appropriate for your job and if you wanted to only own one cologne those are good. Do you want to wear the same thing on a romantic night out? Playing poker with your buddies? you may want to consider more than one.. it can be like playing golf... you are better with more than one club...
    you have many other options. And I would get a work scent and a night out scent at least

    for work I recommend Guerlain Homme...it can be had online at discounters for half the price of egoiste and has the fresh mint, the density to handle your smoke and the vetiver dry down that is preferred by professionals. another is Guerlain L Instant de Guerlain... not the extreme version.. this is also highly professional...
    Another great one is Chanell Allure edition blanche... you have to order it from chanell but it is one of the best work scents highly complimented and perfect for a bank.

    you can go niche at discounters... Bond #9's and Creeds can be had for the 120.... their is a great youtube community.... here is a good vid from a respected reviewer to get you started for work...

    http://youtu.be/OjzDdLir_As

    my recommendations if you are just starting out is get aleast one for work and one for night out.. and look at niche.,,., many are worth it and can be got a great price... if you want people to smell you and say wow... choose wisely

    good luck

  21. #21
    Basenotes Member Stesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Since you are wearing a suit daily, you may consider going for Parfums de Nicolai New York

  22. #22
    Duke Hunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Heartbreak Hotel
    Posts
    3,720

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Chanel-Egoiste (not platinum)

  23. #23

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Kiton red box!
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

  24. #24

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Hermes Voyage. The spiciness disguises the smell of smoke.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Knize Ten.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Chanel-Egoiste (not platinum)
    This would be my pick as well. It is AMAZING!

  27. #27

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Aramis, Havana.

    or

    Chanel, Egoiste is perfection

  28. #28
    Super Member silvermountainhigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Kiton Men

  29. #29

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    All great suggestions above. I'd go for voyage in EDP concentration. As a smoker myself I've found that Costume National Homme does the trick too; fruity, woody and lasts for light years, women adore it too.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmysmellworld View Post
    All great suggestions above. I'd go for voyage in EDP concentration. As a smoker myself I've found that Costume National Homme does the trick too; fruity, woody and lasts for light years, women adore it too.
    I agree: this one also works.

Similar Threads

  1. 17 year old signature scent
    By bgarce in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 7th May 2013, 02:27 PM
  2. Most underrated scent? Signature Scent? Guilty Pleasure Scent?
    By YRAMEN in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 26th December 2012, 10:06 PM
  3. Choose a Signature/Favorite fragrance launched in your year of birth
    By eMCizzle in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 20th May 2012, 03:29 PM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 4th April 2012, 12:42 AM
  5. 35-year-old gay male chooses Creed's Virgin Island Water as his signature scent?
    By bigshooter313 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10th December 2009, 04:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000