Code of Conduct

Default Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

Hi BN'ers,
    I am a 33 year old father of 3, I work as a sales manager (inside a bank) and wear a suit daily. I am looking for a signature scent. I'd ideally like to keep it under $120. Currently, I wear TDH and just picked up Him Hanae Mori. I like them both but feel they are a bit much for work. Here's the kicker, I smoke.. Fresh scents don't seem to work well with me cause of this. I loved Versace Man (purple) but the wife cannot stand it. I do a good job of masking the smoke and only have two while at work. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Brian
    Last edited by BarRoomHeroes; 6th May 2013 at 01:06 AM.

Default Re: Help a 33 year old with a signature scent

Gucci Pour Homme II...?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Chanel Bleu de Chanel

Platinum Egoiste
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

All of the above are worth a look. Also maybe:

Tom Ford for Men (a sweeter tobacco note like Versace Man), but a much less sweet fragrance overall.

Blog Entries

Check out Rive Gauche Pour Homme (tin can) by YSL and Silver Mountain Water by Creed.

Tom Ford Extreme is worth a look

Dior Homme Intense

Dior Homme. If you bump up your budget to $150 I'd say discounted Creed Royal Oud.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Thanks for all the great suggestions, a few trips to Nordstrom are on this weeks agenda..

Finding the right perfume= +8 on the smell good meter. Stopping smoking = +infinity.

I'm a former 10 smoker and am not coming from a self righteous position. It was only after I quit that I realized how bad I smelled. Just saying.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Chanel Bleu de Chanel
    +1, Bleu de Chanel. Great summertime fragrance.

Chanel Allure Homme is one that fits the bill and wont break the bank. Certainly one of my all time favorites.

Bois Du Portugal but tends to be on the pricey side. Bleu de Chanel should work fine.

LIDGE by Guerlain , the cocoa will cover the nicotine smell. Also Dior Homme Intense is a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    Finding the right perfume= +8 on the smell good meter. Stopping smoking = +infinity.

I'm a former 10 smoker and am not coming from a self righteous position. It was only after I quit that I realized how bad I smelled. Just saying.
    I gotta agree. Smoked for many years. Once I quit, I could smell a smoker from 10 feet away.

you want to be carful not to smell like the boyfriends of your tellers ....for this reason you should stay away from Bleu or any popular scent that can be bought at the mall that could also be used for going out..

Platinum Egoiste , Lhomme ...great scents appropriate for your job and if you wanted to only own one cologne those are good. Do you want to wear the same thing on a romantic night out? Playing poker with your buddies? you may want to consider more than one.. it can be like playing golf... you are better with more than one club...
    you have many other options. And I would get a work scent and a night out scent at least

for work I recommend Guerlain Homme...it can be had online at discounters for half the price of egoiste and has the fresh mint, the density to handle your smoke and the vetiver dry down that is preferred by professionals. another is Guerlain L Instant de Guerlain... not the extreme version.. this is also highly professional...
    Another great one is Chanell Allure edition blanche... you have to order it from chanell but it is one of the best work scents highly complimented and perfect for a bank.

you can go niche at discounters... Bond #9's and Creeds can be had for the 120.... their is a great youtube community.... here is a good vid from a respected reviewer to get you started for work...

http://youtu.be/OjzDdLir_As

my recommendations if you are just starting out is get aleast one for work and one for night out.. and look at niche.,,., many are worth it and can be got a great price... if you want people to smell you and say wow... choose wisely

good luck
    Last edited by Foxxworthi; 6th May 2013 at 04:44 AM.

I second the Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain... My SO is a smoker too and this smells fabulous on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    If you bump up your budget to $150 I'd say discounted Creed Royal Oud.
    Yeah, Royal Oud is nice. I've seen it go as low as $120-$130 on ebay through reputable sellers (like Fragrancenet).

I think I'm going to buy Guerlain L Instant de Guerlain and give it a try. Any suggestions on which website to purchase from? Thanks for the reply. You were spot on about the tellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxxworthi View Post
    you want to be carful not to smell like the boyfriends of your tellers ....for this reason you should stay away from Bleu or any popular scent that can be bought at the mall that could also be used for going out..

Platinum Egoiste , Lhomme ...great scents appropriate for your job and if you wanted to only own one cologne those are good. Do you want to wear the same thing on a romantic night out? Playing poker with your buddies? you may want to consider more than one.. it can be like playing golf... you are better with more than one club...
    you have many other options. And I would get a work scent and a night out scent at least

for work I recommend Guerlain Homme...it can be had online at discounters for half the price of egoiste and has the fresh mint, the density to handle your smoke and the vetiver dry down that is preferred by professionals. another is Guerlain L Instant de Guerlain... not the extreme version.. this is also highly professional...
    Another great one is Chanell Allure edition blanche... you have to order it from chanell but it is one of the best work scents highly complimented and perfect for a bank.

you can go niche at discounters... Bond #9's and Creeds can be had for the 120.... their is a great youtube community.... here is a good vid from a respected reviewer to get you started for work...

http://youtu.be/OjzDdLir_As

my recommendations if you are just starting out is get aleast one for work and one for night out.. and look at niche.,,., many are worth it and can be got a great price... if you want people to smell you and say wow... choose wisely

good luck

Since you are wearing a suit daily, you may consider going for Parfums de Nicolai New York

Chanel-Egoiste (not platinum)

Kiton red box!

Hermes Voyage. The spiciness disguises the smell of smoke.

Knize Ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Chanel-Egoiste (not platinum)
    This would be my pick as well. It is AMAZING!
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Aramis, Havana.

or

Chanel, Egoiste is perfection

Kiton Men

All great suggestions above. I'd go for voyage in EDP concentration. As a smoker myself I've found that Costume National Homme does the trick too; fruity, woody and lasts for light years, women adore it too.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmysmellworld View Post
    All great suggestions above. I'd go for voyage in EDP concentration. As a smoker myself I've found that Costume National Homme does the trick too; fruity, woody and lasts for light years, women adore it too.
    I agree: this one also works.

I have to agree that Aramis Havana would blend very well with the smell of your cigarettes.

Kiton Men ..

I would look to buy from either beautyencounter.com or fragrancenet.com. Those are the only two sites I do business with these days.

You could adopt the nuclear approach and use Black Afgano on your fingers, then spritz on my torso.

treeman5823

Guerlain's l'Instant homme is nice and very comfortable. In the same vein, you may want to look at the original Lolita Lempicka.

Dior Homme Intense, Serge Lutens Chergui, Burberry London, Chanel Allure Homme

Guerlainista

You need something with balls - try Aramis.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am 39 and same working environment. My go-to guys are:
    Dior Homme
    Allure Homme Sport
    D&G The One
    Green Irish Tweed
    Royal oud

good luck
    ďArenít you a little short for a stormtrooper?Ē

Banned
    Blog Entries

I AM A 33 Y/O SMOKER MYSELF. I WORK IN AN OPEN ENVIRONMENT AND TEND TO LEAN TOWARDS TOBACCO INSPIRED SCENTS. 3 GREATS ARE D&G pour homme,burberry london and taste of fragrance. all have great projection and sillage and are less than your 120 price. on average you might can get all 3 for that price or lower. also scents with incense do well such as GPH and Avignon..

Versace Dreamer
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

+3 Dior Homme
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

L'instant, dior homme and royal oud are certainly winners.

Heck you might even want to try Bois d'Orage from Frederic Malle. It complements the smell of cigarette smoke quite nicely.

Edit: just saw this http://www.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=366433
    Royal Oud for $130

Encre noire or d&g the one. Both should blend with smoke fairly well I would imagine.

Guerlain Vetiver
    Cartier Pasha

I prefer Guerlain Homme over l instant de guerlain.... I owned them both..l instant de guerlain comes off like a 40-50 year old...

watch these...
    21:14...http://youtu.be/gHIh0pyJsi8
    12:50...http://youtu.be/oH8tsmq54hs

here is a link to get a sample...
    http://www.beautyencounter.com/buy/g...6387/153688/16

Gotta say you've got it going on to certain point, having 3 kids and still have time to indulge yourself in scent you really want is good stuff. I bought my banker Mark Birley (1st) it's uber cool and under radar here in States. Aedes, Bergdorf, Barneys have it along with Luckyscent.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by Foxxworthi View Post
    I prefer Guerlain Homme over l instant de guerlain.... I owned them both..l instant de guerlain comes off like a 40-50 year old...

watch these...
    21:14...http://youtu.be/gHIh0pyJsi8
    12:50...http://youtu.be/oH8tsmq54hs

here is a link to get a sample...
    http://www.beautyencounter.com/buy/g...6387/153688/16
    Thats the first time I've heard anyone comment that l'Instant comes across as old. I don't think most people get that.

Robes08 putting Homme on a list doesn't make it any less boring. And why does he keep calling it "Ger-lane Umm"?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you for all the great reply's. I am heading over to Macy's in an hour and going to try Platinum Egoiste, Dior Homme and BDC. I will make my decision with my nose.. I need to find a retail store close by where I can sample Guerlain. Thanks again everyone. I will post which one I purchased in a couple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by BarRoomHeroes View Post
    Thank you for all the great reply's. I am heading over to Macy's in an hour and going to try Platinum Egoiste, Dior Homme and BDC. I will make my decision with my nose.. I need to find a retail store close by where I can sample Guerlain. Thanks again everyone. I will post which one I purchased in a couple hours.
    Please give the regular Chanel …goÔste a try, while you are at it You can thank me later
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Bois 1920 Clasic

Just got back from Macy's and Nordstrom.. I have to say after sampling BDC, Platinum Egoiste, Lhomme, Allure, Prada Una, John Varvados and Duc de Vervins 'L'Elegance Pour Homme Extreme, I went with the Platinum Egoiste and the DV... Thanks for all the imput, I was this close to doing the allure... You guys all rock! This is my first Chanel fragrance and I think it's the perfect fragrance I was looking for. Also, I returned my bottle of Hanae Mori Him so I only had to buy one.. =)

+1 for Versace's The Dreamer. Wonderful clean vibe mixed with tobacco blossom and a bit of sweetness.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you'd like a fresher, aquatic type summer scent, Izod is a cheapie worth sampling. It's lime, cucumber, & mint in top, but has a light tobacco, incense and cotton note in the drydown that would work for a smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    Please give the regular Chanel …goÔste a try, while you are at it You can thank me later
    +1 on Chanel Egoiste. Try it the next time you visit Macy's. If you like it, thank Norstrom

Also think you might like the Tom Ford Extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post

Absolutely 1000 times over...but I say why find just one scent? Why limit yourself? Find a type of scent that fits your personality and go crazy! This way you will have a signature aura rather than a particular scent. You'll have alot more choices and more fun.

Regards,
    Steve
    Last edited by sjas1962; 7th May 2013 at 11:07 PM.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

Hermes Equipage!

Cant go wrong w/ platinum egoiste.. my first work scent....it will last all day and smells great a high compliment getter. I have since moved on to amouage and tom ford private blends...check those out as you move foard... may the force be with you my young jedi

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    THIS. Don't make the mistake of seeing the name and thinking "Platinum must mean better!" It's an entirely different scent. You should give the real Egoiste a try.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Eau de Children Education

kidding