Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1

    Default Where to go from here

    A couple weeks ago I posted for the first time asking if I had any holes to fill in my collection. Since then I've gone out and rounded the whole thing out, nearly doubling my total collection. I think I've reached a point where I don't need to buy something just to cover a base anymore, but rather because I genuinely appreciate what a scent does for me. I'm going to list off my collection, along with a brief sentence or two about my opinions on each frag, and I'd love to hear some thoughts on what my next step on my fragrance journey is now that the initial "shock and awe" phase has run its course.

    Green Irish Tweed- The old standby has become my most worn and versatile scent almost instantly. It's nearly perfect and the only complaint I have is that it's longevity isn't outstanding. Truly a masterpiece. 5/5

    Aventus- When I first smelled this juice I wasn't sold. Over time however it grew on me, and I finally caved and grabbed a full bottle of fragrancenet (Batch #A42B12J01) I get average longevity but good projection, and find it to be a very versatile and well rounded scent, even if it doesn't quite meet the hype. 5/5

    Straight to Heaven- I mentioned this in my first post, and I see it as a going out fragrance, but I've yet to use it. I really do love it, I think it's very unique and smells great but I can't say that, given the chance, I'd go out and buy the full bottle again. Spending an extra $100 for presentation when you could get just the juice for a more reasonable $135 doesn't make sense to me. Still, I have it now and love it. I look forward to the day when I actually wear it. 5/5

    Montale Black Aoud- My best blind buy to date, It's one of the most masterfully blended fragrances I've ever smelled. 5/5

    CdG Wonderwood- Little sidenote, I don't usually get comments from people. This is the only fragrance to get me any word from anybody in the recent past, and it was kind of a double edged sword. The comment noted that what I was wearing was overpowering that day even though I usually smelled really good. To be fair I had over applied Wonderwood that morning due to some issue with the atomizer, but it has left me apprehensive about wearing this (admittedly outstanding) fragrance again. 4/5

    Pure Havane- More like pure heaven, amiright? No but seriously, a very well done gourmand that's not too sweet and is light enough to be worn during the day 5/5

    Midnight in Paris- Totally inoffensive, but still pretty unique. Love this juice. 5/5

    La Nuit De L'Homme- What can I say that hasn't been said already? Kind of boring to my nose but wholly pleasant and inoffensive. 4/5

    Armani Code- Totally different smell, but see thoughts on La Nuit. 4/5

    Cuir de Russie- I'm lucky enough to live in NY so I have access to the Les Exclusifs line. LOVE this stuff Haven't worn it out yet but wow. Just... wow. 5/5

    Le Male- Doesn't meet the hype of its supporters, but not disgusting like its detractors say. I like it, but I can't say I'll be buying another bottle when mine runs out. 3/5

    Mont Blanc Legend- The admittedly good scent of A&F Fierce without having to wear A&F Fierce. More subtle, more grown-up and cheaper to boot. Won't ever be a signature but will always have a spot in my wardrobe. 4/5

    Allure Homme Sport Extreme- Tested this alongside AHS, preferred the sweeter note of this. Still a sport frag at heart but more versatile than the average sport frag. A spring/summer staple. 4/5

    Prade Luna Rossa- See my review of it to get my thoughts. 5/5

    Attimo Pour Homme- Ferragamo has been sneakily eeking out good fragrances for a couple years now. Sadly, Attimo isn't one of them. Average, inoffensive and pretty boring but with higher quality than the norm. 3/5

    D&G Light Blue- Pepper blast at first followed by generic citrus drydown. Meh. 2/5

    John Varvatos- An outstanding fragrance with a terrible drydown. Truly unique and masculine but it barely gets two hours. 3/5

    Tom Ford Noir- Don't understand the hate this stuff gets. It's hard to describe in a short scentance so I won't try, but I do like it. 4/5

    Shalimar EdP- Like a rougher, sweeter version of Noir (even thought Shalimar came first). I can see myself wearing this pretty regularly once the mercury drops back down low. magnificent drydown despite a somewhat off putting opening. 4/5

    Gucci Guilty Intense- Boring. 2/5

    Burberry London- A great fragrance that smells like Christmas. Terrific for winter, but I think it might be phased out even during its usual months of use by my more versatile, better projecting, longer lasting Pure Havane. 4/5

    Well, that's it. I know that was long, so I don;t expect much response, but to those of you who've made it this far, what should my next step be? Where do I go from here?

    Cheers
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    83,812

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    I think you should stay pat for the time being and enjoy what you have.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,256
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    a good clean/fresh scent. aramis bermuda tonic/geir ness/ eddie bauer pure/clean shower fresh?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    I think I'm planning on taking it easy for a while, but I'd like to know what to be on the lookout for, you know?
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

  5. #5

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    +1.

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I think you should stay pat for the time being and enjoy what you have.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    One of the genre you seem to like is leather or dark wood. You could check Dior Leather oud (dark, slightly smoky leather and oud), or instead a very animalic leather like Etat Libre d'Orange Rien. You could also check a smooth leather that could, in theory, be worn also when it's warmer, like Etat Libre d'Orange Tom of Finland.

    cacio

  7. #7

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    One of the genre you seem to like is leather or dark wood. You could check Dior Leather oud (dark, slightly smoky leather and oud), or instead a very animalic leather like Etat Libre d'Orange Rien. You could also check a smooth leather that could, in theory, be worn also when it's warmer, like Etat Libre d'Orange Tom of Finland.

    cacio
    Know any way I could get a sample of Dior Leather Oud?
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

  8. #8

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    Nice collection.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    Very nice collection. But if you are going to stay pat, then I guess this is goodbye. Because if you stick around on Basenotes, your collection will grow like a government program. So, assuming you will be weak like most of us, I would recommend you try a few others if you haven't already...

    Creed (Himalaya, Spice & Wood, Virgin Island Water)
    Bond (New Haarlem, I Love New York For Marriage Equality)
    Tom Ford (Tobacco Vanille, Grey Vetiver)
    Chanel (Sycomore, Egoiste, Allure Homme Sport, Allure Homme Edition Blanche)

    And well... hundreds of others. The next gem might be right around the corner

  10. #10

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    I have a feeling I won't stay put to be completely honest. I sincerely doubt I'll make it through the week. What can I say, you guys here on BN have got me hooked. I'm in deep now.
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

  11. #11

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    I don't know where to find a sample of leather oud, other than at a Dior boutique. and not all dior boutiques carry the exclusive line.

    cacio

  12. #12

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    Quote Originally Posted by kaizer121 View Post
    A couple weeks ago I posted for the first time asking if I had any holes to fill in my collection. Since then I've gone out and rounded the whole thing out, nearly doubling my total collection. I think I've reached a point where I don't need to buy something just to cover a base anymore, but rather because I genuinely appreciate what a scent does for me. I'm going to list off my collection, along with a brief sentence or two about my opinions on each frag, and I'd love to hear some thoughts on what my next step on my fragrance journey is now that the initial "shock and awe" phase has run its course.

    Green Irish Tweed- The old standby has become my most worn and versatile scent almost instantly. It's nearly perfect and the only complaint I have is that it's longevity isn't outstanding. Truly a masterpiece. 5/5

    Aventus- When I first smelled this juice I wasn't sold. Over time however it grew on me, and I finally caved and grabbed a full bottle of fragrancenet (Batch #A42B12J01) I get average longevity but good projection, and find it to be a very versatile and well rounded scent, even if it doesn't quite meet the hype. 5/5

    Straight to Heaven- I mentioned this in my first post, and I see it as a going out fragrance, but I've yet to use it. I really do love it, I think it's very unique and smells great but I can't say that, given the chance, I'd go out and buy the full bottle again. Spending an extra $100 for presentation when you could get just the juice for a more reasonable $135 doesn't make sense to me. Still, I have it now and love it. I look forward to the day when I actually wear it. 5/5

    Montale Black Aoud- My best blind buy to date, It's one of the most masterfully blended fragrances I've ever smelled. 5/5

    CdG Wonderwood- Little sidenote, I don't usually get comments from people. This is the only fragrance to get me any word from anybody in the recent past, and it was kind of a double edged sword. The comment noted that what I was wearing was overpowering that day even though I usually smelled really good. To be fair I had over applied Wonderwood that morning due to some issue with the atomizer, but it has left me apprehensive about wearing this (admittedly outstanding) fragrance again. 4/5

    Pure Havane- More like pure heaven, amiright? No but seriously, a very well done gourmand that's not too sweet and is light enough to be worn during the day 5/5

    Midnight in Paris- Totally inoffensive, but still pretty unique. Love this juice. 5/5

    La Nuit De L'Homme- What can I say that hasn't been said already? Kind of boring to my nose but wholly pleasant and inoffensive. 4/5

    Armani Code- Totally different smell, but see thoughts on La Nuit. 4/5

    Cuir de Russie- I'm lucky enough to live in NY so I have access to the Les Exclusifs line. LOVE this stuff Haven't worn it out yet but wow. Just... wow. 5/5

    Le Male- Doesn't meet the hype of its supporters, but not disgusting like its detractors say. I like it, but I can't say I'll be buying another bottle when mine runs out. 3/5

    Mont Blanc Legend- The admittedly good scent of A&F Fierce without having to wear A&F Fierce. More subtle, more grown-up and cheaper to boot. Won't ever be a signature but will always have a spot in my wardrobe. 4/5

    Allure Homme Sport Extreme- Tested this alongside AHS, preferred the sweeter note of this. Still a sport frag at heart but more versatile than the average sport frag. A spring/summer staple. 4/5

    Prade Luna Rossa- See my review of it to get my thoughts. 5/5

    Attimo Pour Homme- Ferragamo has been sneakily eeking out good fragrances for a couple years now. Sadly, Attimo isn't one of them. Average, inoffensive and pretty boring but with higher quality than the norm. 3/5

    D&G Light Blue- Pepper blast at first followed by generic citrus drydown. Meh. 2/5

    John Varvatos- An outstanding fragrance with a terrible drydown. Truly unique and masculine but it barely gets two hours. 3/5

    Tom Ford Noir- Don't understand the hate this stuff gets. It's hard to describe in a short scentance so I won't try, but I do like it. 4/5

    Shalimar EdP- Like a rougher, sweeter version of Noir (even thought Shalimar came first). I can see myself wearing this pretty regularly once the mercury drops back down low. magnificent drydown despite a somewhat off putting opening. 4/5

    Gucci Guilty Intense- Boring. 2/5

    Burberry London- A great fragrance that smells like Christmas. Terrific for winter, but I think it might be phased out even during its usual months of use by my more versatile, better projecting, longer lasting Pure Havane. 4/5

    Well, that's it. I know that was long, so I don;t expect much response, but to those of you who've made it this far, what should my next step be? Where do I go from here?

    Cheers
    You've just doubled your collection and you are asking what to buy next.
    Aren't you satisfied, at least for now?
    I always recommend old school classics for anyone who doesn't have them. Check out the "which designers are special" thread .

  13. #13

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    What about a good Vetiver scent like...

    Sycomore
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Encre Noir
    Sel de Vetiver


    PS... Nice collection...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

  14. #14

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    Back to the store for another bottle.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    Killer lineup man. I would say you're fine. Enjoy what you have unless you find some good deals or sniff something you really like.

    But I do enjoy offering up different interesting things to others so I have two suggestions One cheap, one more expensive.

    Chanel Coromandel - nice, but expensive, a well done patchouli/floral..almost gourmand (in a good way)
    Mauboussin M Generation - a very inexpensive woody/spicy/incense (just awesome, especially for the price...cool bottle...could fall into any niche lineup and charge $125+ a bottle)

  16. #16
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    7,146

    Default

    Child, you're in desperate need of some Égoïste!

  17. #17
    Basenotes Plus
    senore01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NEW YORK CITY
    Posts
    3,854
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    And what Happened to Dior Homme Intense?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    I've noticed a lot of people who get into fragrances, including myself may go a long period before experiencing Rive Gauche for the 1st time. If you haven't then start there, it may be a game changer for you if you haven't tried it yet.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    I appreciate the feedback guys. I think I'm going to try to avoid expensive niche frags for the time being, nab some cheap but well-liked fragrances off of amazon to satisfy my cravings. It's become my addiction hahaha.
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

  20. #20
    Dependent chili_willi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    1,954

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    Quote Originally Posted by kaizer121 View Post
    I appreciate the feedback guys. I think I'm going to try to avoid expensive niche frags for the time being, nab some cheap but well-liked fragrances off of amazon to satisfy my cravings. It's become my addiction hahaha.
    If I ever visit NY again I will be visiting MiN New York and Aedes. I'm sure there are countless other niche shops around the city and you should sample yourself into a coma. To stay more on topic I will suggest L'Air du Desert Marocain. Wore it today and just love it.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    If I ever visit NY again I will be visiting MiN New York and Aedes. I'm sure there are countless other niche shops around the city and you should sample yourself into a coma. To stay more on topic I will suggest L'Air du Desert Marocain. Wore it today and just love it.
    Just looked up Min online, I'll have to check it out this weekend when I get a chance to look around in the city. Might have to break my "no niche" policy before it evens starts, this would be my first chance at getting my hands on some Amouge

    EDIT: $100 for some Cuir Ottoman? How could I possibly say no?
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

  22. #22

    Default Re: Where to go from here

    I agree with the above. Try to sample more. Wearing the fragrance few times will help you decide if it is worth buying. Lots of time you will be satisfied that you tried it . You got a great collection so far. Enjoy
    Current top choices:
    1- Portrait of A Lady
    2-Guerlain Heritage
    3- Chez Bond
    4- Amouage Dia
    5- New York oud
    6 34 st Germaine boulevard by Diptyque
    7- by killian Pure Oud
    8- coromandel by Chanel
    9- MFK lumiere Noir
    10- Clive Christian X

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000