Code of Conduct

Default How to use Bodywash?

Okay, this is going to sound lame, but I've been a bar soap user all my life. And even though for the most part I do use unscented soaps to go with my cologne, sometimes I can't resist the temptation of wanting to just use something from the Old Spice bodywash line.

My only problem is, I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly. I know it sounds weird, but is it really simple as pouring some in a wet pouf and going to town? The few times I've used bodywash, I've noticed that my armpits tend to smell a bit later on in the day compared to using a bar soap.

Also, I'm not sure if any scent is coming off. I can definitely smell friends (they don't use cologne), but if I ever ask my brother, mom, or sister to smell me right after a shower...they can hardly smell it? Does this have something to do with how I dry down or something?

Anyways, I know it sounds like I'm trying to make showering a science, but I'd appreciate some personal takes on how people use bodywash.

Default Re: How to use Bodywash?

Fr some body washes, you're supposed to rinse it off only not wash if off. So it's supposed to feel a bit oily as you get out the shower. as opposed to squeaky clean from a soap.

I'm sure Cacio will chime in soon.

for swap/sale:

Indeed ...

Yes, it is as simple as pour on puff and scrub lightly. Perhaps you are not scrubbing enough or not using enough liquid under the armpits, relative to the amount of soap you use. Or perhaps soap remains stuck to the armpit hair, which has a minor deodorizing effect. In any case, you can simply use deodorant under the armpit after the shower if you absolutely want to avoid smell there. (Waxing helps too - but few people do)

There is a lot of variation in how long the smell of a showergel remains on the skin. But typically, it is very fleeting, you get a nice oomph during the shower, and then it's gone. So it is not a substitute for a cologne. But again, it depends, some can be more long lasting.

As hedonist was saying, there is also a lot of variation of how cleaning and drying shower gels are. Some are more moisturizing and soft on the skin, which helps keep the skin hydrated but it also means that they clean slightly less. I swim in a pool pretty often, so I prefer to use a delicate shower oil that doesn't further dry the skin. Soap bars tend to be quite potent (they are designed to get out the dirt from hands), so they can dry the skin a bit. As usual, everybody has his own preferences.

cacio

Cacio, do v you use a body butter or lotion. there are so many names for it but basically the instructions are to use it after your normal shower.

you apply it then very very gently rinse it off.

it's like a moisturizer. it feels a bit oily bit then feels very soft when it finally dries or gets absorbed by the skin.

for swap/sale:

I've never used these butters and they sound interesting - I should try them. I use simple oils or lotions after the shower.

cacio

I use this a lot: coincidentally it smells like rose anonyme by atelier cologne - a plasticized rose

then this one by l'occitane is pure luxury

this is very very very very moisturizing too & exfoliating:

I use the exfoliating ones once a week & the moisturizing ones as often as I can but at least thrice a week.

I let the moisturizer ones marinate on me in the bath for a good twenty minutes though then very gently rinse suds.

for swap/sale:

i cant stand it when shower gels or soaps leave a film on my skin..feels disgusting
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

hedonist

thanks - I'll need to try, especially the lush rose

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by mmoon24 View Post
    I know it sounds weird, but is it really simple as pouring some in a wet pouf and going to town?
    Yes.

You may want to try a Salux towel: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/262...Showering-Nice
    You use far less product with it and it leaves your skin nicely exfoliated. There are knock-offs available at dollar stores and health food stores for much less money. I must have tried at least a half dozen different brands and came to the conclusion I was wasting money by not buying the Salux brand; they last months and months. The other brands didn't do as good a job when they were brand new, and then they needed to be replaced after about ten uses as they lost their oomph very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Yes.
    Lol!

Mmoon24, liquid body washes probably have a good amount of water in them, and bar soaps are probably more concentrated as solids. Do you think that makes sense?

If a "pouf" is one of those plastic netting things rolled up into a ballish shape, which exfoliate one's skin a bit while you wash, then you are doing the right thing - though my ones are always more effective cleaning underarms than just using soap.

But if you have scented designer body wash/ shower gels, you don't use them for cleaning. Instead, just before the end of the shower, apply a tiny amount to a sponge or the thing I described above, jump out of the shower stream, form a lather all over, then jump back under the shower stream (which you've made cooler) for a quick rinse. You will then smell strongly of that scent for four or so hours, or when you perspire a bit. This is one aspect of what is commonly known as layering.
    Regards,
    Renato

Thanks for all the response guys. I've definitely gotten "better" at using body wash as sad as that sounds. I also decided in general to just turn off the shower as I use my body wash, and then rinse it off once I'm done applying it everywhere. Seems to work a bit better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    You may want to try a Salux towel: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/262...Showering-Nice
    You use far less product with it and it leaves your skin nicely exfoliated. There are knock-offs available at dollar stores and health food stores for much less money. I must have tried at least a half dozen different brands and came to the conclusion I was wasting money by not buying the Salux brand; they last months and months. The other brands didn't do as good a job when they were brand new, and then they needed to be replaced after about ten uses as they lost their oomph very quickly.
    The Salux towels are great! I can confirm that they last a long time and they can be machine washed without losing the scrubbing effect. They foam gels and soaps fantastically and saves you a lot of product.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

I use a loofah sponge and a good showel gel. I rinse the gel off my body rather than scrubbing it off. I finish with Palmer's Coco Buttter Gel. Sometimes it counter-acts with my fragrances, but only for a few minutes.

I need to know more about Salux cloth. The regular one is 40% Nylon and 60% Polyester. The Super Hard is 13% Nylon and 83% Polyester. How do these match-up?

Have u seen the Hikari cloth? Is it better than Salux?