Code of Conduct

Default Do as I say, not as I do.

Although I have worn fragrances off and on for a long time, my obsession became strong only a few years ago. I never bought decants but did try just about every mainstreem scent you could get. I blind bought cheapies at TJMax and elsewhere. Some are ok but in retrospect I have a lot of crap.

In the end I started buying more expensive scents and guess what? I like them better. Visiting San Francisco last year opened my eyes to a bunch of brands not available locally. (Actually there is a world class store in my town but they seem to be more interested in selling than in helping someone learn...) :-(

So my advice to those starting this journey is to order samples. Find stores that stock the good stuff and spend some time. Don't buy just to buy. I have so much that I know I will never use.

My latest obsession is my two Amouage fragrances. God help me and my bank account! But I smell wonderful!!!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Default Re: Do as I say, not as I do.

Agreed. I bought way too many full bottles of generic designer scents in the beginning.

My advice for those who prefer to only buy full bottles would be to try and swap or sell any you don't like immediately, instead of amassing a bunch of bottles that you never really wear.

BTW Akahina, I'm from Portland myself, what local store do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Switch245 View Post
    BTW Akahina, I'm from Portland myself, what local store do you mean?
    An amazing store. Go there. The Perfume House on Hawthorne Blvd..
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Indeed yes, and also, as a further possibility, when buying designer scents, simply not always concentrating on the "big names" and bestsellers. Instead, also venturing into the less known, underrated, unexpectedly seldom popularized designer scents (or any kind of fragrances, within any market segment) can be the longer, but more exciting and rewarding way to find favorites, especially through testing.

Trying samples was how I was introduced to niche frags. I always advise others to sample, not to buy blind. It's great when you find a niche perfume shop locally. You can sample for free or buy samples to try at leisure. Although I like many niche frags, there are still designer ones that I think are great, and happily wear.

Agreed.

Dont do what I do either. I bought niche bottles on impulse.

We knew I'd not be able to tolerate immortelle lol.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Plus resale value of an Amouage Attar is high if you tire of it, but If you buy Acqua di Gio, use it and get tired of it...you might as well use it for bathroom deodorizer...you can't resell a used bottle for much money.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

As a collector of fine fragrances, I will most likely continue to buy until my collection is passed on to someone else.

I'd say at least get to learn what you like, and probably more importantly, what you DON'T like if you're going to start blind buying things. I blind buy (although not quite as much as I used to) but I know which notes for me personally would stop me from blind buying something. I think that's really important to avoid duff blind buys.

My way is I try a few at the stores & the SA's i know are generous with samples; i sample them in leisure at home, then buy from online retailers & when i order, i request for whole line samples from niche houses (my orders are normally a min 500+), so its an on-going cycle...Rarely do i blind buy, my success rate is around 65% on it, but having dry skin, longevity is one huge concern, so i tend to stay away...

I am becoming more and more "niche" as time goes by. The regular designer fragrances don't satisfy my nose anymore, even the classics.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    I am becoming more and more "niche" as time goes by. The regular designer fragrances don't satisfy my nose anymore, even the classics.
    Strangely, I'm going in the opposite direction. I've tried hundreds of niche scents, and missed out on some classics. Now that I'm going back and trying them, I'm surprised at how much I like them. Though this is a topic for a separate thread, I think I like a higher percentage of the classics than niche, which is what I'd expect; they're classics for a reason.

Of course, there's also the ever present issue of whether the current versions are really the version that caused the scent to become popular to begin with, which is a topic we can debate endlessly for each scent.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    My way is I try a few at the stores & the SA's i know are generous with samples; i sample them in leisure at home, then buy from online retailers & when i order, i request for whole line samples from niche houses (my orders are normally a min 500+), so its an on-going cycle...Rarely do i blind buy, my success rate is around 65% on it, but having dry skin, longevity is one huge concern, so i tend to stay away...
    If you know SAs that are generous, throw them a bone once in a while! Buy something. They they get a commission often times and you want them to be good with you. I know one SA that is very nice and generous to a fault. I will even take her samples of niche because I know she lovez to sample herself. Saving money online is good but never buying from people that help you makes you a, well...jerk. I've worked retail. I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    So true.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

I hear ya.

I celebrated Cinco de Mayo yesterday wearing Amouage Homage.. eating at Taco Bell...

So I hear what you say, do as I do . Lol

Good advice!

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Strangely, I'm going in the opposite direction. I've tried hundreds of niche scents, and missed out on some classics. Now that I'm going back and trying them, I'm surprised at how much I like them. Though this is a topic for a separate thread, I think I like a higher percentage of the classics than niche, which is what I'd expect; they're classics for a reason.

Of course, there's also the ever present issue of whether the current versions are really the version that caused the scent to become popular to begin with, which is a topic we can debate endlessly for each scent.
    Agreed. (In the sense that unless price is not an issue you are more likely to find scents that you love in the classic range, which are not generally in the "niche" range, especially when you are relatively new to it all.)