Code of Conduct

Default La via del profumo (Profumo.it). Which are the best scents for a 30yr old male?

Hello all, I'm new to basenotes and perfumes in general. I've always struggled with synthetic scents but I have since heard about Profumo and it sounds right up my street due to being all natural! The reviews on blogs sound great and now I am very excited to order some samples. But with so many great sounding scents I don't really know where to start.....

I'm an outgoing and adventurous chap, love to travel, quite alternative, into eastern culture, young at heart, independent, smiley, very chilled out. Look quite young for my age (about 23), tall and slight built, longish hair, a little Spanish looking. Would like some scents which are congruent with my personality and looks. I have Gringo, Hindu Kush, Holy Water, Mecca Balsam, Bazaar, Tabac and Sharif on my short list currently. They sound great via people's reviews but it's hard to know how well they would sit with me as my knowledge of perfume ingredients is limited. Not sure if I can afford samples of all of them.

Any guys here around my age have a particular favourite? In fact, any opinions from those who have sampled any Profumo products would be greatly welcome!
    Last edited by Nomadic Bohemian; 6th May 2013 at 06:02 PM.

Default Re: La via del profumo (Profumo.it). Which are the best scents for a 30yr old male?

Sample first to see what you like. I am a big fan of Dior Homme Intense.

Default Re: La via del profumo (Profumo.it). Which are the best scents for a 30yr old male?

Welcome!

I have tried several from the line, and like many. Be aware that good natural scent tend to smell spicy, resinous, incensy, because these are the natural materials that work well. You will not find modern fresh, zingy things. You will however find things that remind of eastern culture via their associations with incense in temples and the like.

My favorite is perhaps Hindukush, it smells like incense, floor wax, and camphor, slightly mysterious and striking. Tabac is a very smooth sweet tobacco, like hookah or the like. The others are very too.

Another thing to remember is that all natural scents do not last as long as regular perfumes because they lack synthetic fixatives.

cacio

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic Bohemian View Post
    I'm an outgoing and adventurous chap, love to travel, quite alternative, into eastern culture, young at heart, independent, smiley, very chilled out. Look quite young for my age (about 23), tall and slight built, longish hair, a little Spanish looking. Would like some scents which are congruent with my personality and looks. I have Gringo, Hindu Kush, Holy Water, Mecca Balsam, Bazaar, Tabac and Sharif on my short list currently. They sound great via people's reviews but it's hard to know how well
    lol this made me lough thanks for that.....i dont know how a 23 year old human beign should look like other then quite young lol

so profumo.it makes scents that concentrate on base notes...he is not going to offer you some lovely top notes he goes so to say in medias res....good thing is many of those scents smell masculine! and too masculine for me to wear them....
    another thing i figured out is ....YES they are all naturals, but the longevity issue , i think in some of them comes from huge dillutition.....if he made higher concentration that would be more expensive for him ofcourse but then i dont think there will be longevity and projection issues...

Hindu Kush is lovely but simple green to me, and could fit to your spirit,
    Grezzo is too formal, it fits more to serious business man..Grezzo d eleganza lol
    Meca Balsam is nice...but it smells like market to me lots of spices sweet labdanum....
    Basaar is the mix of Mecca Balsam and Hindu Kush, i could recommend this one for you.
    Tabac is likable, complex and wearable....and maybe safe blind buy?.....so it smelled to me Cacio described it nice!

did not try others....Gringo , Sharif and Holy Water (i know this one like girls as well).

this Sharif goes best with little spanish look and long hair imo hehe

enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    lol this made me lough thanks for that.....i dont know how a 23 year old human beign should look like other then quite young lol
    lol, my pleasure. It makes me laugh too, people nearly always guess my age at 23, not sure what a 23 year should look like either but apparently I fit the criteria! But I guess if I look youthful then perhaps I would suit a certain scent better....

Thanks very much for taking the time to recommend me scents, all of you. iivanita I think you have twisted my arm on Sharif as it may suit my look, perfect, I'll add this to the "must list"! I was looking at Grezzo but perhaps I'll give it a miss, I'm not the most formal of people. Mecca Balsam, I may try this on the strength of the reviews, people have been waxing lyrical about it!. Although I'm not sure what I think of a 'market' smell.....
    Bazaar, perfect, it sounds like it would fit my psychology, and perhaps a bit Asian which I would like, since I love travelling Asia

cacio thanks for your reply also, HinduKush sounds very exciting to me I can't wait to try it. Sounds up my street. As for Tabac, I'm an ex smoker so a little apprehensive about Tabacco scents but the reviews sounds promising, tempted to try it. Encouring that you like it as well as iivanita

As for the longetivity, I'd be happy to get a few hours wear our of these natural scents if possible, synthetics just make me feel ill would be nice to have something to wear that doesn't make me feel sick I am currently trying a Burts Bees natural cologne, that doesn't last long at all though so I guess I am hoping some of the Profumo perfumes perform a little better...

Anyone here tried Gringo? That's the last one I'm a bit unsure of.

Gringo is a very fine fragrance and I also adore his Holy Water one. It is a very fresh and clean perfume.

Read all the reviews on here and then make yourself a tester list. Why not ask Profumos advice when you order? He is a very obliging man.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Gringo is a very fine fragrance and I also adore his Holy Water one. It is a very fresh and clean perfume.

Read all the reviews on here and then make yourself a tester list. Why not ask Profumos advice when you order? He is a very obliging man.
    Thank you. Yeh the reviews have been very informative, but the more I read the longer my tester list becomes, haha! They all sound so amazing. Just been reading up on Oak Moss, that sounds great too. I feel like a kid in a sweet shop reading up on these scents as I never though such natural perfumes existed. So I have a "short list" of about 7 or 8 but not sure my bank balance can stretch that far. Don't know which ones to cut from the list so I may just bite the bullet and order all of them despite the price.

Holy Water does sound great, if it's clean and fresh then maybe one I could wear on a daily basis. Gringo, encouraging to hear your view and the reviews sound good so maybe that one too.

Yeh perhaps I should ask Profumos advice too, good idea.

I'd also recommend your checking out the Honore Des Pres line - also natural and quite good.