Code of Conduct

Default Givenchy Xeryus or Joop Homme

Hi, could you please give me some advice regarding these two frags, i can't decide which to buy.
    Both would be in their current formulations, so i also need some info if there was an reformulation of Joop Homme and Givenchy Xeryus, and how did it affect them in terms of projection/sillage and longevity.
    Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Givenchy Xeryus or Joop Homme

Very few fragrances can match Joop! Homme's projection and sillage. The fragrance tends to have very polarizing opinions though. It seems like it has been reformulated so projection and sillage went down a little but it still has too much projection. I'd say the scent is about 95% the same except it has a less noticeable vanilla base like the vintage had.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    Very few fragrances can match Joop! Homme's projection and sillage. The fragrance tends to have very polarizing opinions though. It seems like it has been reformulated so projection and sillage went down a little but it still has too much projection. I'd say the scent is about 95% the same except it has a less noticeable vanilla base like the vintage had.
    Thanks for the info on Joop. Do you maybe know how to know if it's the new formulation or old - has the box design changed or...?

Basenotes Plus

New

vs.

Old
    Attached Images Attached Images

Givenchy Xeryus

Givenchy Xeryus, please...please...pick this one!

Joop is ok, just way too sweet for versatility

Quote Originally Posted by silvermountainhigh View Post
    Givenchy Xeryus, please...please...pick this one!
    No please don't. I just purchased this from Givenchy and wound up dumping it in the garbage. WHY ? Cheap synthetic mess that lasted all of 1 1/2 hr on skin or clothing. Buyer Beware.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    No please don't. I just purchased this from Givenchy and wound up dumping it in the garbage. WHY ? Cheap synthetic mess that lasted all of 1 1/2 hr on skin or clothing. Buyer Beware.
    could you please give me some info regarding the scent - to what is it similar, is it a classic 80's masculine frag or?

- - - Updated - - -

New

vs.

Old
    Thanks!
    So the one with "Homme" above Joop is the better formulation?

[QUOTE=DerSinn;2969510]could you please give me some info regarding the scent - to what is it similar, is it a classic 80's masculine frag or?[quote]

Xeryus reminds me very much of Dior AQUA Farenheit but with a classic vibe. Don't get me wrong it is a great fragrance. It's just that the current formulation is a joke as are most designer frags these days. Longevity is pathetic for this "bomb".

If you can find a vintage I guess you can try that but I don't do ghost hunts for vintage anymore. I don't need bottles that were sitting in a bathroom medicine cabinet for 15 years Although you could get lucky.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by DerSinn View Post
    Thanks!
    So the one with "Homme" above Joop is the better formulation?
    Depends if you like vanilla. I wouldn't pay more than $5-10 more for the vintage version because I don't think it'd be worth it.

Mont Blanc Individuel is a great option, a more refined Joop.

Depends if you like vanilla. I wouldn't pay more than $5-10 more for the vintage version because I don't think it'd be worth it.
    OK, so the current is also fine, right?

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=thatmakesscents;2969538][QUOTE=DerSinn;2969510]could you please give me some info regarding the scent - to what is it similar, is it a classic 80's masculine frag or?

Xeryus reminds me very much of Dior AQUA Farenheit but with a classic vibe. Don't get me wrong it is a great fragrance. It's just that the current formulation is a joke as are most designer frags these days. Longevity is pathetic for this "bomb".

If you can find a vintage I guess you can try that but I don't do ghost hunts for vintage anymore. I don't need bottles that were sitting in a bathroom medicine cabinet for 15 years Although you could get lucky.
    Thanks! I appreciate it.

Basenotes Plus

OK, so the current is also fine, right?
    In my opinion, yes.

Banned
    Blog Entries

givenchy lasts all day as well as joop. ebay has used bottles of both. i would go that route if you don't want or already have sampled them both.

If looking for Joop on ebay you need to look out for bottles with the weird peppercorn icon or whatever it is.

If that is printed on the front of the bottle at the top then you know it's the old version.

I had a 75ml edt bottle back in 99 which I finished a few years ago, to be honest it's not one that I'd wear anymore but I think that both that and Rococo are the only good ones from the Joop stable.

Though I prefer Xeryus Rouge, I must admit that even after reformulations, current Joop! Homme is clearly standing out in terms of projection and longevity.

Both are diffrent scents with great longevity and sillage. Joop is sweeter and more modern of the two. Xeryus is darker and reminds me of Venice with its old broque style buildings and intera. I would choose Xeryus

Givenchy Xeryus is AWESOME!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Cheap vintage Xeryus is almost always avaliable in eBay. And that's much preferable to Joop! Homme in any shape or form. I love them both, but to compare them is like comparing the taste of bog water and salt. They are miles and miles apart. Xeryus is one of the true power fougères of the 80's. A masterpiece.
    Joop! not so much. A fun little explotion of happiness from the then newly post-wall Germany. It's one of the clubbing greats, but nothing more ... apparently the youngins of the female sex love this juice

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Cheap vintage Xeryus is almost always avaliable in eBay. And that's much preferable to Joop! Homme in any shape or form. I love them both, but to compare them is like comparing the taste of bog water and salt. They are miles and miles apart. Xeryus is one of the true power fougères of the 80's. A masterpiece.
    Joop! not so much. A fun little explotion of happiness from the then newly post-wall Germany. It's one of the clubbing greats, but nothing more ... apparently the youngins of the female sex love this juice
    did you maybe try the current formulation of xeryus?
    a member here said it is similar to aqua fahrenheit...i tought it was more similar to anateus

Never sniffed the new stuff. I have vintage - so I'm good!

OK, thanks anyway...anyone who tried the current formulation?

OK, thanks anyway...anyone who tried the current formulation?
    Why insist on buying the modern formula,
    when the vintage is so easily obtained?

I would search ebay for vintage Xeryus.

Vintage Xerius hands down!

Definitely go with Xeryus, it's faaaaaar better than the disgusting Joop!
    And I've tested the new formulation of Xeryus in the thin tall bottle. Still a true powerhouse but lacks in longevity and slightly sillage comparing the older version in the bottle similar to Xeryus Rouge...
    Good luck and enjoy it!
    My most favorite scents that I can't be without:
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Fahrenheit