Code of Conduct

Default Food grade essential oils and oils for soaps etc.

Hi

i am sorry if this has been asked elsewhere but is there a difference between fragrance oils that can be used for making perfume and those oils used in soaps etc. Can oils used for fragrances in soaps etc be used for perfumes.

Ed

Default Re: Food grade essential oils and oils for soaps etc.

Your title post refers to Food Grade Oils, but your questions do not.

To your actually posted question:
    There should not be any difference between those fragrance oils used for making Perfumes or soaps.

Food Grade is a whole different matter.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

I thought so myself but it was how it was explained to me by the sales person who sells the fragrances for soaps etc, she was of the opinion they cannot be used for perfume and only food grade fragrances could be used in perfume making.

Maybe the question I need to ask is are the fragrance ingredients that should not be used in perfume making.

You should conduct your research with the help of a great tool, The Perfumer's Search Page:

http://www.perfumersearch.com/

If you type in the default field, you will search the Largest Free Scents Database that we have available to us...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Quote Originally Posted by one44 View Post
    Hi

i am sorry if this has been asked elsewhere but is there a difference between fragrance oils that can be used for making perfume and those oils used in soaps etc. Can oils used for fragrances in soaps etc be used for perfumes.

Ed
    Yes, but no . . .

Some perfumery materials don't survive the saponification process or are likely to deteriorate in the highly alkaline environment of a soap, sometimes resulting in off-smells, sometimes discolouration, sometimes other problems. Many soapers buy read-made fragrance oils containing ingredients that don't have those problems. These may or may not be suitable for other uses but are designed to be effective in soap. Most will dissolve happily in ethanol and could thus be used in a perfume if you wanted, but would likely smell quite different in that medium and might not perform very well: the requirements of a perfume spray are different from those of a soap.

Fragrance oils are not food grade: for that you need flavourings, which is a whole different discipline, albeit related. It is absolutely not the case that only food grade fragrances can be used in perfuming: sales assistants often make claims well beyond their pay-grade in my experience and this appears to be a case in point. Many things that are safe to put on your skin are not safe to eat and things you can safely eat may cause irritation or worse if sprayed on your skin.

The design of fragrance for functional products is a huge subject that most of us here are not expert in, though I believe David has extensive experience of this type of perfumery.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

First of all; the fragrances that go into soaps are Perfumes, Perfumes that have been designed to work in Soap. As Chris has mentioned soap behaves in a different way to ethanol, and the fragrance used has to be stable. No matter what use you make of a fragrance you should ask yourself what do you want the fragrance to do, and when during the use of the product do you want the fragrance to work.

Also, as Chris mentioned, there are some fragrance materials that are not stable in Soap (although modern soaps seem less harsh), and should not be used.

Food grade materials are, in general, not suitable for Perfumery. They are often water based, or contain Propylene Glycol. These two solvents will cause problems. There are some materials used in Flavours that have been banned for use in Perfumery (and vice versa).

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    First of all; the fragrances that go into soaps are Perfumes, Perfumes that have been designed to work in Soap. As Chris has mentioned soap behaves in a different way to ethanol, and the fragrance used has to be stable. No matter what use you make of a fragrance you should ask yourself what do you want the fragrance to do, and when during the use of the product do you want the fragrance to work.

Also, as Chris mentioned, there are some fragrance materials that are not stable in Soap (although modern soaps seem less harsh), and should not be used.

Food grade materials are, in general, not suitable for Perfumery. They are often water based, or contain Propylene Glycol. These two solvents will cause problems. There are some materials used in Flavours that have been banned for use in Perfumery (and vice versa).
    Thank you for all the quick and very helpful responses. It is clear that experimentation and testing is required.

Hot process soap is often much kinder to perfumes than cold process soap because the saponification has been completed before the perfume is added. The same goes for melt and pour soap and milled soap. The other thing that needs to be kept in mind is that some essential oils can cause discoloration or ceasing of the soap. The latter is less of a problem with transparent soap because the alcohol that's used dissolves the soap.

Quote Originally Posted by one44 View Post
    Hi

Ed
    Try DoTerra.

The products are all antural and majority of them you can ingest.

You can only buy the products using an IPC number, try 838890

It is a US based company and growing fast in California.

The prices are a little higher but top quality.

If you pay a one time fee of $10 to become a preferred customer you get a discounted price every time.

Thank you for joining to share that, although the O.P. may well have found a supplier by now.

The only thing that is going to happen when you add perfume or food grade oils to soap is that it may or may not speed up trace, which means you have to work quicker. PG is not bad in soaps, in fact when i make a melt and pour base, that is one of my solvents. Food grade oils would not be my first choice, if you are thinking of something like orange just because the scent might get taken over with the oils because of the weaker concentration. You are better off using essential oils or fragrances. Honestly most, if not all unless otherwise stated can be used in soaps. The only thing you need to worry about is if it says not safe for skin. If it says that, obviously you do not want to bathe with it.

Other than that, if you are buying fragrances such as ones from indigofragrance or some off etsy, ask them what they use as the carrier oil. You can get a better idea of how quickly it is going to set up. Most fragrances do not speed it up and I stick to CP anyway because they always seem to look better. HP is more of an "artisan" look. The only fragrance, no matter who you get it from, that seems to speed up trace is coconut. For some reason it makes soap batter into quickcrete very fast.

Hope that helps.