Code of Conduct

Thread: Job Interview

Default Job Interview

Yes, I know that etiquette dictates that one should NEVER WEAR COLOGNE AT A JOB INTERVIEW, but I am going to ask anyway. I have an interview coming up later this week for a job that I don't really care if I get or not. I am happily employed and have nothing to lose if I don't get this job. I don't think I am a shoe-in for the position, but I am fairly confident that I will be one of the top candidates. Again, I am happily employed, so I literally have nothing to lose, and this is why I'd like to wear a fragrance. Of course, I want to be professional and don't want to suffocate the interview team. The interview is semi-formal (maybe I'll wear a tie, but definitely no suit jacket).

Here are my options:
    - GIT
    - Cool Water
    - Aventus
    - Acqua di Gio
    - Bleu de Chanel
    - Virgin Island Water
    - D&G: The One
    - Terre d'Hermes

I think I also have some samples of Spicebomb, I Love NY Father's Day, I Love NY Earth Day, Prada Luna Rossa and Silver Mountain Water.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Default Re: Job Interview

GIT. Luna Rossa would also be a good choice.

Bleu de Chanel

Hard to say without knowing what kind of job it is.

It is for a job in a library.

Then I'd go with the adg.

Is the Terre d'Hermes edt or edp? If edp, I would go with 1-2 sprays max. Otherwise, GIT.

Quote Originally Posted by pharmgator01 View Post
    Is the Terre d'Hermes edt or edp? If edp, I would go with 1-2 sprays max. Otherwise, GIT.
    It's EDT...and my skin is notorious for poor projection and longevity.

Library job seems like a time for D&G The One. Amber and libraries seem to go well together IMO. More than a citrus would. Subconsciously, they will be thinking... "this person belongs in our library. Not sure why, but he just seems to fit here..."

Some of the other fragrances they might think: "this person seems like he belongs on a beach somewhere or riding on a skateboard, not in our library..."

But no matter what, just go kinda light.

Terre D' Hermes is pretty safe.

Blog Entries

I'd go with either The One by D&G or Terre d'Hermes by Hermes. If you still can't decide, go with Green Irish Tweed. Good luck!

Terre d'Hermes. It's calm and intelligent, confident but not aggressive.

Cool Water or Acqua di Gio

They are favorites, mainstream and more than likely will not offend anyone.

Acqua di Gio (if you must)

I recently used Luna Rossa for a job interview. Still haven't heard back from them, but I'm not blaming that on the cologne. I feel like Luna Rossa is a nice fresh smelling cologne that would be good for an office atmosphere.

Like someone else said before, for a library job I think The One would be perfect. To me it's a very rich, sophisticated scent that would really work well. Plus in my experience it's not an incredibly powerful scent, so it won't overwhelm the interviewer.

I definitely wouldn't use Spicebomb or Virgin Island Water.

Just keep in mind that the last thing anyone wants in a library is anything loud.

Bleu

Hermes and Bleu would be safe, I think.

In a job interview, you want them to remember them for you, not your smell.

If you really don't care whether you get the job, then any of those is probably ok, and use your judgment about not suffocating the interview team.

My only worry about situations like that is that you wear a fragrance that someone interviewing you associates with an unpleasant memory or person, and thus takes a dislike to you because of that, possibly without even realizing it. For that reason, I'd go with the least likely candidate for that: maybe the Luna Rossa or GIT or one of the Bonds. But again, if you're not that bothered, it doesn't matter.

I wouldn't wear Cool Water.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Lightly applied, Green Irish Tweed.

VIW because no one but you will smell it.

I'm in the best not to wear perfume, just in case camp, but out of those I'd say GIT or Bleu.

GIT or TdH
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Terre d' Hermes

GIT would be my 1st choice

Banned

It sounds like you are going just to impress someone with your fragrance or at least get a compliment since you care less about getting the job. Are you going to follow up with them after a few days incase if you did not hear from them about the position or about your fragrance?

This is not a comment on your fragrance choices but about how you said you may dress. Anytime you wear a tie you should wear a jacket. It is really not proper to wear a tie without one. The tie is the more formal element of the outfit, not the jacket.

To get some interview tips I would check here if I were you: http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-sho...-job-interview

Here's a quote:

IF NOT A SUIT:
    If you are absolutely convinced that a suit and tie would be inappropriate, for instance if you are told specifically not to wear a suit and tie, lose the tie before you lose the jacket. Wearing a tie without a jacket makes you look like a cell phone salesman at the mall. A professional might wear a sportcoat and trousers with no tie, but never a tie without a jacket. You will have more latitude in these less formal situations, but the same principles of keeping your clothing clean, simple, and well-fitting still apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I wouldn't wear Cool Water.
    +1. I mean, don't let them know you don't care about the job.

Bleu de Chanel

Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Thanks for the great suggestions! I really appreciate all your insight and ideas. I am half tempted to wear Aventus and see what happens!

I think that I am choosing to wear a cologne to the interview is for my own benefit. It gives me a sense of comfort and confidence. I'll mull it over for a couple of days then let you know what I decide. The job is an internal transfer opportunity, so I already kind of know the managers I will be interviewing with (not my current department or manager) and they already know my skills and work ethics, so I am mostly covered in that department. It is a formality, so that is why it is a little less formal than a cold interview.

Actually, just for the sake of taking chances. You should wear Narciso Rodriguez for Him and then just stare at him/her and give yes/no answers and then report back.

I wish Black Aoud was one of your options. Lol
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    Yes, I know that etiquette dictates that one should NEVER WEAR COLOGNE AT A JOB INTERVIEW, but I am going to ask anyway.
    I would surely wear a fragrance in a job interview, i'd give a heck about the etiquette, but it must be such that it really suits me and fits in my personality, and it must be just a whiff not overpowering. Of your list i'd choose Bleu de Chanel one full spray onto the chest under shirt.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

I've traditionally worn Creed's BdP to interviews.
    I would recommend GIT from your selections... it just seems so representative of what I imagine great works of fiction and historical tomes to be if they can be captured in a scent.

Another for Bleu de Chanel. Safest of the bunch, and the GIT/Cool Water/AdGs are far too sporty for a library if you ask me. D&G The One would also be pretty good, as it's not so fruity like Aventus and VIW.

I see SMW as a great work interview scent. It's very pleasant, fresh, and gives off an aura of niceness that will appeal to anyone. I would stick to unisex colognes and definitely stay away from aggressively masculine scents. The last thing you want to do is give the impression of dominance in an interview. The interviewer wants to know that you're a good team player, not the renegade/pariah type.

And whatever you wear, make sure to go very easy on the trigger. Two shots max, IMHO.

Good luck!

Go before the interview to a perfume shop and apply ONE spray of Rive gauche.

GIT - one spray
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

G.I.T. for any interview. Excellent.

Should a discreet fragrance application be appropriate for the occasions, I'd suggest a very small quantity and/or very few sprays of either GIT or Bleu de Chanel (either of these fragrances, having, in my opinion, enough understated, modern, clean-cut stylishness to possibly be suitable for a professional/office/workplace environment).

One spray of GIT

GIT, the fewer sprays the better.

And if you're putting on a tie, wear a jacket! Please believe an older guy with lots of work experience: even if not formally required, you will never regret wearing a jacket in any work setting, but will often regret not wearing one.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by silvermountainhigh View Post
    Actually, just for the sake of taking chances. You should wear Narciso Rodriguez for Him and then just stare at him/her and give yes/no answers and then report back.
    HAHAHA...this is pretty brilliant!

Thanks for all of the great advice and ideas! I really appreciate them...I agree with most of the people here and am leaning towards GIT, D&G: The One, or Bleu. We'll see how the mood strikes me tomorrow afternoon. I'll also report back to whether or not I get it!

You said you had nothing to lose because you already have a job. If you want to keep your current job, I would not let it get out that you are interviewing for a new job at somewhere. You actually do have something to lose, it is your existing job. Employers often start looking too if they think a valued employee is looking to move on. It is only natural for them to protect themselves by asking, "what if he takes that library job, who could we get to do his job? Hey that might be better anyway!" Then the innocent job application with nothing to lose, becomes a self fulfilling prophecy creating a situation where you need that new job because you lost the old one. Not that anybody will be reading your post here, your interview is safe with us, I'm just saying. Wear the Chanel Bleu.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 9th May 2013 at 02:06 AM.

Nothing imo. It's a job interview, not a fashion show.

1 million

YSL L'Homme
    LIDG PH
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Had the interview this afternoon. My current boss actually is the one who suggested I interview for this position, so I really did have nothing to lose. He is super supportive and knew that I was interested in possibly looking to explore new opportunities. I'm very lucky to have a boss like him!

In any event, I decided to go with D&G: The One because of its low projection and longevity. I only wore a scent for my own confidence. I think it went well, and the scent was PERFECT for the situation. Will hopefully hear back soon. Will keep you posted!

I think you did good choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragmeister View Post
    Hermes and Bleu would be safe, I think.
    +1 but less than usual

Acqua di Gio is safe.

+1 on this one
    Quote Originally Posted by voidvader View Post
    Acqua di Gio is safe.