Code of Conduct

Default Need help finding a winter, office-type scent

Hello all, after perusing the numerous theads on Basenotes due to my quest for suitable fragrances, I've decided to join up and solicit some advice from its members.

A little about me:
    I'm a 32 y/o bachelor and am a high school educator in the US. I'm athletic, coach high school football and am a fairly active person. I've become interested in high-end grooming products and fragrances as of late. However, I am by no means an expert. In my middle 20s I wore Curve (which I loved and received compliments on) and Chanel Allure Homme Sport (ditto on the above). At one point I blind purchased Prada Amber Pour Homme in my late 20s but was told by a student I "smelled like an old man!" After which I never wore it again. I also owned Lacoste Essential but, upon attempts to wear it casually in the summer, found it faded rather quickly and was a little too fruity for my liking. The last colognes I purchased were CK Euphoria when I was in my late 20s (was a female aphrodesiac but had no longevity and dry down was synthetic and residual) and CK Eternity Summer '09 (fresh at the start but descended into a fruity malaise before disappearing).

Fragrances I currently own:
    Despite several negative reviews, I've purchased and truly enjoy Bleu de Chanel. It's longevity and sillage is excellent in my opinion and I deem it to be an appropriate scent for my workplace. I've also experimented with various samples and recently purchased D&G Light Blue with the intent to wear it casually during my time off work in the summer.

On to my question:
    BdC seems to match my personality, i.e. fresh/citrusy on the top, slightly spicy with maybe a bit of cedar, oakmoss and/or sandalwood on the dry down. I'm looking for a winter office-type scent that would match my personality and be suitable for my workplace (a midwest US high school). I'd like something alluring that doesn't draw a lot of negative attention to me. At the same time, longevity and projection/sillage are important to me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, again thanks and sorry for the lengthy post.
    Last edited by Moto04; 7th May 2013 at 04:56 AM.

Default Re: Need help finding a winter, office-type scent

L' Instant Extreme.

Blog Entries

Try Eau des Baux by L'Occitane ... sweet, pleasant, long-lasting, and more importantly, affordable.

No way prada amber smells like an old man. Next time you're in Sears try Burberry London. You may have to purchase some samples on some of the recommendations you'll get here.

Hello from a former Ohioan (Youngstown). For a relatively inexpensive fragrance try Channel Egoiste.

Quote Originally Posted by Odorloader View Post
    No way prada amber smells like an old man. Next time you're in Sears try Burberry London. You may have to purchase some samples on some of the recommendations you'll get here.
    I'll definitely be getting some samples based on the responses here.

I've read about Burberry London on some other threads. But I was under the impression it's maybe more of a 'holiday' (i.e. not an everyday/daytime) type scent?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    Hello from a former Ohioan (Youngstown). For a relatively inexpensive fragrance try Channel Egoiste.
    Thanks for responding and it's always good to hear from someone from this neck of the woods. It looks like we both share 'rust-belt' roots! I think I have a sample of Egoiste and will give it a try. I tried Platinum (in a sample) and didn't like it however. There was a metallic (or sweet?) note to it that I didn't really like.
    Last edited by Moto04; 7th May 2013 at 04:44 AM.

Burberry London

Diesel Fuel For Life or D&G The One.

I'd recommend the insanely cheap Zirh Corduroy. It sounds perfect for your lifestyle. But, if longevity is an issue for you with it, as it is for many people, I'd maybe go with something classic and simple, like Cool Water, or Rive Gauche.

Also +1 on Eau des Baux, but make sure you love vanilla for this one!
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

+1 L'Occitane Eau des Baux...I would also add to the following a mix of niche and non-niche of my winter office wears:

Chanel Allure Homme Eau Extreme
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Givenchy Play Intense
    Mauboussin M Generation

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    +1 L'Occitane Eau des Baux...I would also add to the following a mix of niche and non-niche of my winter office wears:

Chanel Allure Homme Eau Extreme
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Givenchy Play Intense
    Mauboussin M Generation
    +1 on CDG 2 Man. Wonderful in the Winter and loved by the ladies in my office!
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Although I don't think it's sweet at all (it's cypress and incense), I'd +1 for Eau des Baux as it's a fantastic scent for the price and extremely easy to wear.

I'd pass on all sweet and heavy stuff and try something like Terre d'Hermes (preferably in Parfum version), Bulgari Aqva or L Occitane Vetiver.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Armani Aqua Di Gio
    Dior Homme Sport
    Mont Blanc Individuel
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    YSL L'Homme

+1 for Terre d'Hermes, Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme, Givenchy Play Intense and Burberry London.

Also adding Pure Havane, Pure Leather, Dior Homme, and Armani Code Ultimate.

Welcome to BN
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Antico Caruso

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Armani Aqua Di Gio
    Dior Homme Sport
    Mont Blanc Individuel
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    YSL L'Homme
    Thanks! I've tried Dior Homme Sport and really expected to like it but was turned off a little by the powdery note (iris I believe) in it. I've also sampled PE but was turned off by, what I perceived to be, a metallic sweetness. The AdG doesn't seem appealing to me and is too familiar to people, even the 'untrained' nose from what I'm told. The YSL L'Homme seems appealing to me and I'll look into it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOpera View Post
    +1 for Terre d'Hermes, Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme, Givenchy Play Intense and Burberry London.

Also adding Pure Havane, Pure Leather, Dior Homme, and Armani Code Ultimate.

Welcome to BN
    Thanks a lot. I'll try the Givenchy and Burberry London for sure . I actually have a sample of TdH right now but am on the fence over whether to purchase it. The AHSE has the creamy dry down I was looking to avoid being that I've had AHS in the past.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I'd pass on all sweet and heavy stuff and try something like Terre d'Hermes (preferably in Parfum version), Bulgari Aqva or L Occitane Vetiver.
    Is the TdH Parfum sweeter than the EdT? What are some major differences? I have a sample of the EdT right now.....
    Last edited by Moto04; 7th May 2013 at 02:16 PM.

YSL L'homme
    Sample the Creeds: (Green Irish Tweed, Aventus, Silver Mountain Water)
    Invasion Barbare if you want a high quality fragrance and want to spend more
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

I'll definitely look into L'Occitane Vetiver, thanks.

Lot of good ideas here.
    Cordouroy, London, 2man...

Try Gucci Pour Homme II or Carbone de Balmain

Quote Originally Posted by Moto04 View Post
    Is the TdH Parfum sweeter than the EdT? What are some major differences? I have a sample of the EdT right now.....
    TDH parfum is less screechy, doesnt have strong pepper note that get on my nerves sometimes, and overall is more rounded around edges. It also has stronger orange note than EDT.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

TDH if you insist on citrus, else Geurlain L'instant intense

TDH parfum is less screechy, doesnt have strong pepper note that get on my nerves sometimes, and overall is more rounded around edges. It also has stronger orange note than EDT.
    And smells more like flinty body odor.

Sorry, I had to say that. I recognize that my view is the minority -- most people do like the parfum better, it seems. I just don't. And the op said he wanted something that was not offensive. I'd be offended by the pure parfum if a coworker wore it.

With regard to the op's citrus request, there are lots of better citruses, a topic addressed endlessly in other threads. My favorites include Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte and, for a neroli, Neroli Portofino (note that neroli is more floral, but has a light orangey vibe). Both are work appropriate, but to my mind Neroli Portofino is very overpriced. Don't expect stellar longevity from either, or from any citrus. Spraying on clothes helps.

I hate recommending AdG, but it's just about the safest scent around if you're concerned about that. And it smells great. Of course, to me, the best work scents ever made are the Creed twins: Green Irish Tweed and Millesime Imperial. These two smell great, won't offend anyone (if used with restraint), and are found for high-but-not-insane prices at discounters.

Eau des Baux was recommended by a few people, and I concur. It's a great, inexpensive scent.

Don't be afraid of Egoiste because you didn't like Egoiste Platinum, as the two are totally different scents that shouldn't both have Egoiste in the name. Egoiste is the much better scent.

Really, the universe is so broad it's hard to be more specific. Bleu isn't a bad scent, and is popular for a reason.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

As a man of similar taste and experience in your working situation, I would recommend Givenchy Play Intense or Chanel Allure Homme. These are my winter scents. I have and love Bleu de Chanel, Allure Sport, Dior Homme, Cartier Roadster, and like D&G Light Blue. Of all these, Play Intense was a buy of an impulse buy. I'm glad I bought it though, as it has surpassed all the others to become my favorite.