Code of Conduct

Thread: D.S. and Durga

Default D.S. and Durga

Anybody have any experience with this house? I noticed they did a scent for J. Crew, and they recently had something featured in GQ but I've never heard a peep about them on BN. Any thoughts?
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

Default Re: D.S. and Durga

I've tried three: Sir, Freetrapper & Cowboy Grass. Personally didn't care for them at all. Disappeared very quickly on my skin.

It's very difficult to find samples of them, and when I have seen them, they've been expensive, so I've never bothered with them. Most of what has been on basenotes about them is along the lines of what hednic has said.

Blog Entries

I tried the following at Anthopologie: D.S. & Durga: Pomelo Blossom, Petitgrain Sur Fleur, Shake Shake Senora and Lady Greystock.

None of them was good enough for me to buy a bottle. I agree about mediocre longevity.

Basenotes Plus

They are pretty hard to come by. I like their $ and am waiting for a sample of their latest: Spent Musket Oil.

I adore D.S. & Durga. Their Bowmakers is in my Top 10. Cowboy Grass is also a favorite. My one complaint is that they do too many limited editions. Here's a link to their press page: http://www.dsanddurga.com/press/

All the ones I've tried have been pretty unrefined and amateurish.

I'm a fan of this couple. My fave is Burning Barbershop, a complete original

This one lasts 6 to 8 on me.

+1 Bowmakers: rich, crisp, strong, and wonderful. Definitely the masculine side of unisex.

Coriander is one of my all-time favorites (all-time being the last 6 months I've gotten into perfume, but there's a pretty heavy sample ordering/ fragrance counter surfing habit in there, so this still means something)

I card-tested most of the men's scents and they were a heavy/tonic/medicinal/dudely blur, at least at the top, so I didn't bother working through them. Other women's scents (Silent Grove, Siberian Snow) were unremarkable given my tastes.

I'm in the middle of a HYLNDS sampler pack now. Pale Grey Mountain struck me as Creed's Royal Water done right, meaning an aquatic take on aromatics with a bitter-citrus top that doesn't fad into a soggy mess within 30 minutes. Isle Ryder is a cold, flinty jasmine that has longevity issues. Dunno yet on Bitter Rose but will soon. I am such a sucker for the marketing on this line, talk about up my alley. Not sure it walks the talk though.

So they are a mixed bag in my mind, but definitely some gems worth plucking out. And damn do I LOVE their bottles and design work, just superb for my tastes.

Smile Re: D.S. and Durga

Quote Originally Posted by Janjanjan View Post
    I'm in the middle of a HYLNDS sampler pack now. Pale Grey Mountain struck me as Creed's Royal Water done right, meaning an aquatic take on aromatics with a bitter-citrus top that doesn't fad into a soggy mess within 30 minutes. Isle Ryder is a cold, flinty jasmine that has longevity issues. Dunno yet on Bitter Rose but will soon. I am such a sucker for the marketing on this line, talk about up my alley. Not sure it walks the talk though.
    ... And damn do I LOVE their bottles and design work, just superb for my tastes.
    Janjanjan, like you, the HYLNDS fragrances (and story line) grabbed my attention and fit in with my fascination with Scotland and Celtic mythology. My take on Bitter Rose Broken Spear from a post on another website:

Having just worn Bitter Rose Broken Spear, I have to say that given the description is Ossian in its prose and lyricism, the fragrance itself is hyper realistic, a kind of olfactory painting of what its like to walk the fecund barrenness of Scotland’s muirs and enjoy time in a pub warmed with a peat lit fireplace. There is a red berry and/or iron note hidden in the middle like a sgian dubh.For me Bitter Rose Broken Spear is a bulls eye of a fragrance, herbal, peaty, woody, with red berries, iron, and an amber wisp layering with the other scents like a fire growing old and into embers.

I've just received Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake and it shares many similarities with Bitter Rose Broken Spear, but as you mention has an aquatic take on the herbal and aromatic theme. I'm not sure how D.S.creates the olfactory imagery of elevation - BRBS is only as high as the hill of Dunadd and for me is quite a bit more about the moorlands, while PGMSBL does suggest coming down into a lochen from the heights of surrounding hills. Both fragrances are similar but topographically different if that makes any sense at all. PGMSBL seems more austere and bracing, while I find more depth (possibly the berry and amber notes) in BRBS.

I didn't have any longevity issues with Isle Ryder at all, but it was more jasmine than mead on me and while I enjoyed it, it didn't speak to me of the Outer Hebrides as much as I would have liked. It has garnered some interest and praise here on Basenotes, but it's the one of the four that I'd likely not wear often

I'm sampling Spirit of the Glen tonight (as a fragrance not a whisky) and it is a surprisingly strong vanilla and wood scent that is starting to evolve nicely. Not at all like the other three HYLNDS scents and possibly the most accessible of the four.

My favorite is still Bitter Rose Broken Spear because it does evoke most of its story line for me.

I really look forward to learning your further take on the HYLNDS line!
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Oh my, you are right Fhaoilgeal. I wore Bitter Rose yesterday and it was great! Definitely my favorite of the HYLNDS line as well. I almost didn't sample it because I don't like a lot of rose. But this is one has a flinty spice to it that covers any strong floral impression. Big thumbs up here!

Basenotes Institution

I found their house style to be bold, in-your-face notes mixed with 'natural' longevity (meaning below average) and high prices. Not, IMO, a way to win over BN fans but perhaps it works for them in the general marketplace.

One scent that does stick in my mind, a very Middle-Eastern scent, was My Indian Childhood. Sort of the smell of a 'place' rather than a fragrance per se, it reminded me of something that Christopher Brosius would do (for CB I Hate Perfume). Very intensely spicy.

I do like Burning Barbershop and I own one full bottle of Smoked Amber that they used to sell at Anthropologie years ago (an animalic very sweet and intense smoky amber) but I stopped exploring the line after several others really didn't work on my skin.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I own Siberian Snow which is more an insence fragrance to me than this narcotic jasmine as which it is marketed. Longevity is more than average on my skin. I tested Silent Grove which reminded me of Light Blue (women). My Indian Childhood was to dense for my taste. Coriander is, as I remember, a modern light woody musky thing.

Coriander is a tangy, uplifting aromatic green, sharp and clear, grounded and uncomplicated. I love the smell of coriander, so for folks that do it's fun to see it center stage in a scent.

Like mikeperez23, I thought My Indian Childhood was one of their stronger women's scents. Very spicy, and somehow fuller/more complete than some of the other feminine compositions. Must be a lover of Indian spices to enjoy, however!

I also agree with graphite that the incense is more prominent in Siberian Snow than is jasmine.

- - - Updated - - -

I am really enjoying Bitter Rose, Broken Spear. Does anyone know of similar takes on rose? (bitter, spicy, flinty)? Or alternatively, bitter/spicy/woody?I am having trouble filtering through the bazillion fragrances containing rose that would qualify. Excited about the possibility of finding a floral I don't hate, which is nearly every one I've tried.

Basenotes Plus

Enjoying Bitter Rose Broken Spear (love the name!) even as I'm typing this. The flinty resinous facet (birch tar?) is indeed an interesting juxtaposition to the rose element. I've smelled many rose fragrances but I don't remember smelling anything quite like it. You might want to try Kilian Rose Oud or Histoires de Parfums' Rosam.

I was surprised to find the Hylnds perfumes in Barney's NY the other day. New London Pharmacy also carries the regular line.

Isle Ryder started out really promising but then it felt like a huge jasmine and a huge patchouli pushing and shoving to be in the middle of the frame. Didn't care for it.

Interested in Spirit of the Glen. Anybody else tried this one?
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 28th October 2014 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Interested in Spirit of the Glen. Anybody else tried this one?
    I am blown away by this. For me it is the prototype of a whiskey perfume, smoky as a whiskey barrel, spicy, slightly sweet. Starts quite strong and develops into a woody, subtle club-scent. I am feeling sitting in a bar of a scottish castle with leather chairs, a whiskey in one hand and a fine cigar in the other. Beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Disappeared very quickly on my skin.
    This has been my experience also. I did try most of the line from their sample pack and did like a few, but no legs at all on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by fly777 View Post
    I am blown away by this. For me it is the prototype of a whiskey perfume, smoky as a whiskey barrel, spicy, slightly sweet. Starts quite strong and develops into a woody, subtle club-scent. I am feeling sitting in a bar of a scottish castle with leather chairs, a whiskey in one hand and a fine cigar in the other. Beautiful.
    well then, that sounds rather promising...
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by fly777 View Post
    Excellent. What about its performance? Longevity? Projection?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Excellent. What about its performance? Longevity? Projection?
    Perfect on me. Longevity 12 hours, projection moderate to heavy.

I have Boston Ivy and Burning Barbershop.

Boston Ivy is very good. It's a fresh and green scent with a subtle earthiness (dirt) and sweetness that resembles mint (it's the ivy). Feels appropriate on cool fall days. Cool sweet ivy that's been uprooted and shaken off with a trace of the soil still on its roots.

Burning Barbershop is good too, but it has a rough opening. Mesquite barbecue meat smoke and a mint note that reminds me of of Skoal wintergreen chewing tobacco. That goes on for about 20 minutes and then it becomes really nice. The smoke settles in, lavender and vanilla emerge, and the mint softens up and stops resembling chewing tobacco. My only concern is how often I'll wear this. I really like it after the initial 20 minutes. It's kind of weird. It could end up becoming a favorite or wind up on the chopping block.
    "Mama used to bathe me in Youth Dew bath oil."

Like many indie lines, their output is interesting but uneven. I've sampled about a dozen on them: I love $ and Cowgirl Grass and will always regret not picking up those two when they were around. The others were either bland ( their citruses ), discordant ( My Indian Childhood ) or interesting but too ephemeral to be wearable ( Siberian Snow ).

Worth exploring, but I wouldn't recommend blind buying any of them.