Code of Conduct

Default Any French Basenoters ? Please answer this question.

Is there anyone who lives in France and travels to America who can compare the difference between designer scents in both places ? Longevity and Sillage preferably.

I have been reading online that the difference is in the type of alcohol they use Potato (France) vs Ethal (USA). That's why the longevity is so short lived with USA produced fragrances.

I'd love to here it from a customer vs an SA .

Thank You

Default Re: Any French Basenoters ? Please answer this question.

I got curious too! Interesting phenomenon...
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Sounds a little unlikely to me but who knows...

Long ago on another forum someone did compare Coco by Chanel, they had a French one bought there and also the US bought one. They said the French one seemed slightly less sweet, unless you compared them side by side on the same arm you wouldn't know.
    DONNA

I doubt there is any significant difference. I have some fragrances bought in France (Pure Havane, Prada Amber, Voleurs de Rose, etc) which smells identical to the sample/decant I've received/bought in US

In my country Vietnam, fragrance sellers always use this France vs US reason to highjack the price of their fragrances (which they said is bought from France) which I find ridiculous
    Last edited by jasonx; 7th May 2013 at 02:27 PM.

American, but started this whole fragrance journey at the end of last year in France.. I don't smell a difference, nor will I seek out one with frags I already own.
    Current Top 5:
    1. DHI
    2. Oud Wood
    3. Aventus
    4. By. Kilian A Taste of heaven
    5. Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur

No!

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    I doubt there is any significant difference. I have some fragrances bought in France (Pure Havane, Prada Amber, Voleurs de Rose, etc) which smells identical to the sample/decant I've received/bought in US

In my country Vietnam, fragrance sellers always use this France vs US reason to highjack the price of their fragrances (which they said is bought from France) which I find ridiculous

I've purchased Chanel 19 Platinum Egoiste and Boucheron Pour Homme EDP in Mexico and compared them to the USA versions.

They were all noticeably different than the american offerings at NYC dept stores. The Boucheron EDP was bottled differently and was more potent than the one at Bloomingdales. I think I sprayed myself before going into Bloomies to compare...can't remember. The Chanel 19 was night and day different compared to what is on sale here. I actually still have a bottle. The PE was richer.

I really do believe there is a difference as the SA's in Mexico told me. Same prices no tax but the juice is a little different...same formula but just different from my experience.

However I wanted to hear from other people that have experienced the same thing. Chanel themselves told me they produce for the american markets in a USA factory. If you look around the other junk being sold is all made in the USA as well.

There has to be someone else on this forum that has experienced what i have.

I'd like to know too. Bought a 100 ml bottle of Bleu de Chanel from Europe (Germany) from a respected online perfume store and a 50 ml bottle from a guy from US. Both are 100% authentic Chanel products, the smaller is manufactured in US. The smell itself is exactly identical, but the stuff in the smaller bottle has a little weaker longevity and sillage.

First thought my nose is playing tricks with me and then suspected the smaller spray amount in the smaller bottle untill sprayed 2 sprays from the smaller and 1 spray from the bigger. Still the same thing.

Could it be that US versions of a fragrance really were a bit weaker?
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I've purchased Chanel 19 Platinum Egoiste and Boucheron Pour Homme EDP in Mexico and compared them to the USA versions.

They were all noticeably different than the american offerings at NYC dept stores. The Boucheron EDP was bottled differently and was more potent than the one at Bloomingdales. I think I sprayed myself before going into Bloomies to compare...can't remember. The Chanel 19 was night and day different compared to what is on sale here. I actually still have a bottle. The PE was richer.

I really do believe there is a difference as the SA's in Mexico told me. Same prices no tax but the juice is a little different...same formula but just different from my experience.

However I wanted to hear from other people that have experienced the same thing. Chanel themselves told me they produce for the american markets in a USA factory. If you look around the other junk being sold is all made in the USA as well.

There has to be someone else on this forum that has experienced what i have.
    Maybe there is reformulation involved in your bottles? As you've mentioned that the bottles are different, I think the ones bought from Mexico are simply in the older formulation

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Maybe there is reformulation involved in your bottles? As you've mentioned that the bottles are different, I think the ones bought from Mexico are simply in the older formulation
    NO. The bottles from Mexico are shipped directly from France for the french market not north american market. There is a difference.

Potato alcohol is ethanol which is the same thing as "Ethal" (ethyl) alcohol.
    The SA was just bullshitting you to make their product sound better, like they always do.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    NO. The bottles from Mexico are shipped directly from France for the french market not north american market. There is a difference.
    Since consistency of packaging is very important for a product and it takes a lot of money to redesign a packaging, companies will not release different packagings for different markets at the same time

If your bottles look different from the ones sold in the US then there is a huge chance that it is from a different formulation

Btw, you can post a picture of your bottles (Chanel No.19, Chanel Platinum Egoiste and Boucheron Pour Homme EDP), I'm sure many members here can help identify the formulation of them
    Last edited by jasonx; 8th May 2013 at 12:11 PM.

I am in Mexico right now so cant post photos but maybe you have a point. I still think there is a difference though. I recently purchased Givenchy Xeryus Rouge and the longevity was just awful. If I test it here and the results are different then I will totally be sold.

The reason I am so concerned about it is if the new sales tax on internet sales happen it will make an already overpriced fragrance binge too expensive. Id like to find something a little cheaper.