Code of Conduct

Default struggling noob, please help me

Hey there, and thanks in advance for your patience. With the exception of making a couple of essential oils at home, I am entirely novice to making my own perfume and have several questions, so I thought I'd put them all in one place.

1) Where can I buy essential oils (in U.S.) at the best price? I'd like to get a good deal so I can buy a larger variety of scents. I've examined many of the sites listed on another thread, but with as many oils as I want to buy, its going to cost me $200+. Does anyone know if any of these companies sell a group of essential oils in one lot at a discounted rate? Later on, after I hone my skills, I can buy better quality oils.

2) I live in a state in which I cannot order perfumers alcohol, yet I am afraid using a 95 proof alcohol such as Everclear will leave my perfumes smelling boozy... I have seen perfumers alcohol on other sites that are distilled with berries, rice, flowers, etc. Could I do this to Everclear in order to mute the booziness? Anyone out there know how, or might I have to just experiment on this?

3) My sorry state has ZERO independent perfumers! I would love to gain firsthand experience and advice, but the closest niche perfumers are eight hours away. Any advice on books/media I should read while I'm starting out?

I have already read many of the forum threads on here, and will continue to do so of course. But if anyone could offer answers or even just general advice I would certainly appreciate it. Thank you!

Default Re: struggling noob, please help me

Quote Originally Posted by desertclouds View Post
    Hey there, and thanks in advance for your patience. With the exception of making a couple of essential oils at home, I am entirely novice to making my own perfume and have several questions, so I thought I'd put them all in one place.

1) Where can I buy essential oils (in U.S.) at the best price? I'd like to get a good deal so I can buy a larger variety of scents. I've examined many of the sites listed on another thread, but with as many oils as I want to buy, its going to cost me $200+. Does anyone know if any of these companies sell a group of essential oils in one lot at a discounted rate? Later on, after I hone my skills, I can buy better quality oils.
    You are going to get what you pay for with Essential Oils.
    Try Essential 7
    http://essential7.com/
    Generally, relatively cheap EO's
    Don't know about a kit though. Maybe she does though.

2) I live in a state in which I cannot order perfumers alcohol, yet I am afraid using a 95 proof alcohol such as Everclear will leave my perfumes smelling boozy... I have seen perfumers alcohol on other sites that are distilled with berries, rice, flowers, etc. Could I do this to Everclear in order to mute the booziness? Anyone out there know how, or might I have to just experiment on this?
    What State are you in?

*DO NOT* use 95 proof ANYTHING to make perfume, Must be 150 Proof or best Yet, 190 or 192 proof. {Hint- 100 Proof = 50% alcohol, 200 Proof = 100% alcohol}

If you want other natural Alcohol, try http://organicalcohol.com/store/

3) My sorry state has ZERO independent perfumers! I would love to gain firsthand experience and advice, but the closest niche perfumers are eight hours away. Any advice on books/media I should read while I'm starting out?

I have already read many of the forum threads on here, and will continue to do so of course. But if anyone could offer answers or even just general advice I would certainly appreciate it. Thank you!
    You may want to sign up for the Yahoo Perfumemaking group too:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perfumemaking/
    You must make a comment, I don't let anybody in if they leave the comment blank.

Conduct searches for materials here:
    http://www.perfumersearch.com/
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Basenotes Member

I'm a newbie too, trying to build my organ as well. There are a few kits offered by suppliers here and there, but if you break down the cost, you are paying more for the materials for the convenience.

Also ,kits are convenient, but then you are stuck with the 20 or whatever # of oils that they believe you should have, not what YOU believe/want

This is an expensive enthusiasm. Sigh. If you can infect a buddy with it, you can split orders & thereby share costs. Or just buy a few oils at a time as you can afford.

Our dear fellow Basenote DIY member Chris Bartlett did a lot of research and advice on the theme of "starter kits" and best chemicals and oils to start with. You'll easily find his threads in this group.

Besides, i believe he composed a starter kit available for sale too. Check this link!
    I think he has done a splendid job and could only wish his kit was available four years ago when i started
    Very well balanced set of materials!

Happy perfuming!

Your'e welcome to visit my formulation blog, with a dozen of perfume formulations and accords to share!

That's a lot of great information! Pkiler I live in Tulsa, OK ... I'm afraid we have some pretty archaic laws about alcohol. Only those with specific licenses are allowed to purchase alcohol, of any kind, and bring it into state. While there is talk here about breaking down some of the strict regulations - even allowing for commercial distillers- its a painfully slow process. We just won the legal right to brew our own beer in 2005 (!!!!).

At any rate, I may eventually be able to get around this as I have a family member who is a science teacher (fingers crossed). Until then, my nerdy self thinks it would be fun to experiment infusing Everclear. Oh, I knew the right proof of ethanol, btw. I just had lapse in mental functioning apparently. 95 proof would make for some pretty boozy perfumes indeed!

I will review the list Chris Bartlett composed. I spent the other afternoon window shopping and I think Eden Botanicals has good rates. They also offer sample vials ... and that seems like a good deal for anyone else who is a newbie like me. I suppose the truth is that perfuming IS a rather expensive hobby though.

Perhaps I can infect a buddy with my fervor. Thank you for your advice! It is MUCH appreciated : )

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the group invite! And the great advice
    Last edited by desertclouds; 9th May 2013 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsparla View Post
    Our dear fellow Basenote DIY member Chris Bartlett did a lot of research and advice on the theme of "starter kits" and best chemicals and oils to start with. You'll easily find his threads in this group.

Besides, i believe he composed a starter kit available for sale too. Check this link!
    I think he has done a splendid job and could only wish his kit was available four years ago when i started
    Very well balanced set of materials!

Happy perfuming!
    Thank you! That's very kind of you, I hope it proves useful to people.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.