Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Now that the hype may have died down... Spicebomb?

A little over a year ago, Spicebomb had an advertisement in a magazine that sparked my interest in fragrances. The bottle was just too damn cool.

Intrigued by the ad, I looked up Spicebomb on the internet. This how I found you guys and this secret little club of fragrance fanatics.

Ironically, I've never tried it.

Funny, huh? How Spicebomb started my passion for fragrance, but I've never tested it.

So, after reading through the passionate replies in this thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/296...w-of-SpiceBomb I would like to know what are you thoughts a year later?

Thanks for in advance for your replies and comments.

Default Re: Now that the hype may have died down... Spicebomb?

One of the best designer fragrances out there, recently finished my 50ml and bought a new 100ml. I can't imagine not having this fragrance in my collection, it is such a damn fine scent! That vanilla, apple, tea and lemon combo is sublime.

Cheap "Bomb". A nothing fragrance.

Extremely poor.

Basenotes Member

I really like it, but still haven't bought it.

I love the opening, really sweet. Something along the lines of bubblegum + cotton candy. Maybe some cinnamon there too.

But after that, it's just flat. Very muted, no bomb at all.

I don't think I'll buy this full retail. But if I can get this for half the price, or as a present, I will be very happy.

Meh. Not offensive but just ok for performance. Kinda weak in all aspects. Pass.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

It lasts forever, drydown is better than the top notes.

Nothing special

Didn't like it at first, then decided I did and bought a small bottle. Wore it a few times and enjoyed it well enough. Then I sampled Armani Code which smelled very, very much like diapers (and certain toilet papers) to me. Seems there's a synthetic vanilla which is used on diapers and toilet paper. Yay. Next time I wore Spicebomb, my nose cued in to this same, or a very similar, synthetic vanilla, and that was it for me. Done. Yuck.

I do smell Spicebomb around town now and then, and it's usually over-applied. Outstays its welcome pretty easily.

Love the scent, love the bottle. The longevity is pretty average, but otherwise no complaints. Like kende said, I think it's one of the better designer fragrances out there. Thinking about buying a bottle sometime this summer and using it once the weather cools down a bit.

Love it and it's on my wishlist. Total compliment getter for me. Tasty with a calm confidence. 3 parts sophistication 1 part sexy.

If anyone has one for sale or trade hit me up.

Basenotes Plus

One big MEH for me. There's nothing SPICE or BOMB in it. It smells like cinnamon bubble gum mixed with cotton candy. I think it's a great scent - for an 8 year old girl or boy - but not for any grown man. YUCK.

I like it, my wife really likes it. It's a keeper in my somewhat small collection. Probably ranks around 23rd out of 25 bottles I own.

I think the hype died down for a reason. Spicebomb is ok, but for me, it's a pass.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Still a good one.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Just like marc jacobs bang. Opens with a nice spicy accord but does not project. Very weak on my skin

A smooth easy wear in the cooler months. Much better than Antidote.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackAdonis View Post
    A little over a year ago, Spicebomb had an advertisement in a magazine that sparked my interest in fragrances. The bottle was just too damn cool.

Intrigued by the ad, I looked up Spicebomb on the internet. This how I found you guys and this secret little club of fragrance fanatics.

Ironically, I've never tried it.

Funny, huh? How Spicebomb started my passion for fragrance, but I've never tested it.

So, after reading through the passionate replies in this thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/296...w-of-SpiceBomb I would like to know what are you thoughts a year later?

Thanks for in advance for your replies and comments.
    I found it underwhelming and 'spicebomb' is a complete misnomer. It isn't terrible, nice in a generic, sweet vanilla way but hardly a bomb and definitely no where near my definition of spicy. Not bad, just nothing special.

I think it's nice. It's smooth, and it is a cut above typical designer fare.

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    I found it underwhelming and 'spicebomb' is a complete misnomer. It isn't terrible, nice in a generic, sweet vanilla way but hardly a bomb and definitely no where near my definition of spicy. Not bad, just nothing special.
    This. I like it, but I remember being decidedly underwhelmed/disappointed after the hype.

Never liked it.

Love it and its one of my top winter scents. It reminds me a lot of my other new cold weather fragrance this past winter (Ted Lapidus Black Soul). I highly recommend both if you enjoy sweet, spicy scents.

Definitely one that relied on advertising, hype, and gimmicks. Obnoxiously loud and cloyingly synthetic, but slightly less offensive and screechy than some of its peers. I'm shocked that there haven't been 10 or 15 flankers yet like there were with its counterpart! Spicebomb Sport Homme Extreme Noir Summer etc.

My thoughts are the same now as they were when it first launched and bought it. It's a very nice scent and glad I own it.

Guys, I have to say I love reading all your replies.

I love how passionate and strong everyone's opinions are when it comes to fragrances, in general. It's really neat to see everyone's opinion and where they stand.

I blind bought it (lucky on my recent "Blue Sugar" blind buy that had polarizing opinions, too), and I'm looking forward to testing it!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDays View Post

I love the opening, really sweet. Something along the lines of bubblegum + cotton candy. Maybe some cinnamon there too.

I don't think I'll buy this full retail. But if I can get this for half the price, or as a present, I will be very happy.
    That's it in a nutshell. It's muted. I love spicy fragrances and I love vanilla and cinnamon. Therefore I like Spicebomb way more than Flowerbomb or its weak flankers. But it's hard to explain about Spicebomb. It fizzles, then it's gone. I don't think the silage is good. If I were you, TheBlackAdonis I'd get the sample first.

- - - Updated - - -

That's it in a nutshell. It's muted. I love spicy fragrances and I love vanilla and cinnamon. Therefore I like Spicebomb way more than Flowerbomb or its weak flankers. But it's hard to explain about Spicebomb. It fizzles, then it's gone. I don't think the silage is good. If I were you, TheBlackAdonis I'd get the sample first.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackAdonis View Post
    Guys, I have to say I love reading all your replies.

I love how passionate and strong everyone's opinions are when it comes to fragrances, in general. It's really neat to see everyone's opinion and where they stand.

I blind bought it (lucky on my recent "Blue Sugar" blind buy that had polarizing opinions, too), and I'm looking forward to testing it!

Thanks again!
    Hope you enjoy it!

I think it is very much above average. Not a love of mine, but I do like it quite a bit.

I thought I remember reading some people compare it to Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. Has anyone found them similar? I'm curious because I ran through the last of a vial of TFTV somewhat recently.

Forgettable scent. Not bad but gets lost in an ocean of other boring designer scents. Not worth buying IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    I thought I remember reading some people compare it to Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. Has anyone found them similar? I'm curious because I ran through the last of a vial of TFTV somewhat recently.
    People usually align Eau de Baux with Tobacco Vanille -- which I don't get at all as TV is a hyper sweet vanilla, and EdB is a hyper dry cypress. Spicebomb is big and loud like TV, but it's more cinnamon-based.

When i tested Spicebomb it instantly reminded me of Gucci Pour Homme 2.

A bit too much cinnamon for me. I couldn't get past my association of it with Big Red Gum or Red Hots candy.

Not quite as spicy as I'd like, but a good scent.

I find it much closer to 1 Million (but with tea notes). Don't really see it very similar to TV at all IMO.

I thought I remember reading some people compare it to Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. Has anyone found them similar?
    I did not get that similarity, no. The tobacco note in TV is much more pronounced, and the scent overall is much more of a milky sweetness (think mocha ice cream) than the zesty sweetness (apple pie, mostly) of Spicebomb. The citrus of Spicebomb is perhaps what creates the most noticeable difference, particularly when combined with the cinnamon and elemi, both of which are absent in TV.

still stinks on!

I must admit that I do like it, and I wear it once in a while. Still a bit better than many of the latest designer releases.
    - Mark

ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Good but not great. Can't see it as a day-to-day scent.

Strong stuff. The hype died down and can still smell it on me.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Spicebomb is closer to 1 Million than to Gucci PH II or Tea for Two. It is nice, but I don't really appreciate wearing it.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Spicebomb is great. I get spotty longevity with it, but last time I wore it, I got over 12 hours with it. It's very sweet and not very spicy. I think it's worth having.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I prefer Eau des Baux.

Sound Scents

Not a fan.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I like it but the fragrance lacks longevity.

Now is the perfect time to wear Spicebomb.

Every time I smell it, it reminds me of "Christmas."

Those spicy, jelly gumdrops is exactly what this fragrance smells like.

No me gusta.

Such a shame - the bottle is an instant classic.

Never tried it as the silly bottle didn't appeal to me and the hype at the time was off putting.

Man people here don't really like it do they?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    Man people here don't really like it do they?
    There's not much to like. In a sea of hundreds of thousands of other fragrances to choose from, why choose this? It's all hype, marketing and packaging. Fragrance itself has no character and doesn't smell good at all (cotton candy and bubblegum, anyone?) There is nothing "spice" or "bomb" about it, it's a Powerpuff Girl cotton-candy fragrance for kids, that's all it's good for.

powerpuffgirlslead.jpg
    Last edited by remik; 22nd November 2013 at 09:48 PM.

Never liked it: the drydown is quite 1 Million-esque. 1 Million in disguise, basically.

I like the first 1 hour but do not like the dry-down.

No offense to those who like it but Spicebomb was a real scrubber for me with a nasty vanilla bite that's extremely unpleasant (to say the least).

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Nothing special
    Absolutely agree here. I don't understand all the fuss with this one. Very mediocre. Very synthetic.....and where the hell are all the spices the name is implying ???
    A huge disappointment.
    If you want loaded spices that don't smell synthetic try the discontinued vintage Monsieur Rochas, (not the modern one!) , also Loewe pour Homme and Punjab. In fact very many of the classic spice fragrances are far superior to spicebomb !
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

It's a misnomer for sure, I would not have called it Spicebomb.

However if you abstract from the name, I still think it is a very good fragrance. It is sweet, but not loud like 1 million. Although the scent is not at all similar, it shares a certain sheerness and sheen with Dior homme--and in my view is far classier than 1 million or even Eau des beaux which dries down into a very woody and almost rugged scent. I would wear Spicebomb to work--1 million, never.

Basenotes Plus

Found it oddly coying, and very unsatisfying to wear. Twice from a sample, and enough for me.

I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by RichNTacoma View Post
    Found it oddly coying, and very unsatisfying to wear. Twice from a sample, and enough for me.
    Same here. A cloying, confused mess. I had high hopes for it, too--so much so that I blind bought it. I sold it after about a week.

First time I tried it, I wasn't a fan. It has grown on me since then, but I don't think it would ever be in my top 20. One reason I like it is because it reminds me of the 80s and I feel it will last on my skin during brutal, winter weather, but we'll see.

I like it especially the dry down.

I only just recently tried it. Like it a lot. Not a priority, but it's good enough to be in my Winter Ro. Someday. In the meantime, I have a sample and I suspect I will rock it this weekend. I think that the bottle is dumb, but I like the juice.

A while back I was given a sample. I didn't like the name and wasn't expecting much. Since I was blown away by the scen, I didn't care what it was called. It's not only bottle worthy, but backup bottle worthy IMO. The bottle has an interesting grenade and pin look to it. I cannot imagine not having it in my collection. It was a Fragrance Foundation winner for the scent and ad campaign the year it was introduced as well.

Regards,

TC
    The Colognnoisseur
    Omaha, NE
    USA