Code of Conduct

Thread: male bar soap

Default male bar soap

dear forum members
    i'd like to ask your two cents, what kind of male bar soap would suitable for man in their 20- 40?

in my country- Indonesia - male bar soap is not really something you could fin easily in supermarket. producents thinks that male usually would only buy medicated soap or any soap that their wives bought for the family.

but am interested in making bar soap for male that smells like fine fragrance. and i have bought some fine fragrance bar soap, from ted lapidus, gucci for my own pleasure.
    and i also found some male bar soap that smells spicy/anomalic made in the US ( forgot the brand)

but since i adore what the forum member's expertise about fragrance, i'd love to know what kinda fragrance would you like to have for a male bar soap?

thank you

Default Re: male bar soap

I don't really use bar soap (I use shower gels that tend to complement my fragrances), but I have previously used the Nesti Dante soaps.

They are not overly expensive, last well, feel good and have some great smells. Most of them are rather feminine but their Cypress soap is terrific, as is their Capri lemon one.

Basenotes Member

Dr Bronners Organic Citrus or Peppermint would fit the bill perfectly.

We have a lovely, old-fashioned soap called 'Pears' here in England, which has been made for over 100 years. I can't tell you what the scent is because I cannot identify it, but it's a glycerine soap.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    I don't really use bar soap (I use shower gels that tend to complement my fragrances), but I have previously used the Nesti Dante soaps.

They are not overly expensive, last well, feel good and have some great smells. Most of them are rather feminine but their Cypress soap is terrific, as is their Capri lemon one.
    Also, they have one with the word "monasteries" in the name that is great. I'll add the Juniper Ridge company and Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap.

Roget & Gallet makes some wonderful bar soaps.

Your wife is right,
    stick with the medicated soap or simple soap.
    Your skin is the biggest absorbent organ, You don't want to absorb chemicals from cologne soap bars.
    I myself don't even spray scents on my skin.
    Please re-consider.

The greatest soap in the world, in my opinion, is made by Santa Maria Novella in Florence, Italy. The cream of the crop is the almond soap -- smells like a slightly spicy almond. It's also very, very expensive -- about USD $17.00 a bar. I keep a few bars in the house as my "date night" or "big court appearance" soaps. Yes, I am that geeky.

I find the other SMN soaps a bit too strong smelling for my taste.

Here in the U.S., Caswell Massey makes fine soaps. Again, since almond is my scent of choice, I prefer the almond cold cream soap. Very good for sensitive or dry skin. Cost in the States is about $6.00 to $7.00 a bar.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Although a bit pricey, Molton Brown makes excellent scented soap bars available for purchase online.

Shower gel man. Wish I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by naughtygab View Post
    dear forum members
    i'd like to ask your two cents, what kind of male bar soap would suitable for man in their 20- 40?

in my country- Indonesia - male bar soap is not really something you could fin easily in supermarket. producents thinks that male usually would only buy medicated soap or any soap that their wives bought for the family.

but am interested in making bar soap for male that smells like fine fragrance. and i have bought some fine fragrance bar soap, from ted lapidus, gucci for my own pleasure.
    and i also found some male bar soap that smells spicy/anomalic made in the US ( forgot the brand)

but since i adore what the forum member's expertise about fragrance, i'd love to know what kinda fragrance would you like to have for a male bar soap?

thank you
    Why don't you search it locally?
    Indonesia is full of spices, coconut, ylangylang, cloves and herbs......
    I believe you can find excellent local stuff

Apart from seconding the great suggestions so far, especially Nesti Dante and Roger&Gallet, also further suggestions would be the bar soaps from the grooming/body care lines of "barbershop style" fragrances like Old Spice and Tabac Original (both manufacturing masculine scented, affordable, yet also good quality bar soaps), as well as bar soaps by Eurcerin and Avene, also, the unscented bar soaps from the Dove Extra Sensitive line. The soaps by the latter three manufacturers being suitable and versatile for any gender and any age group, furthermore, under most or any climate conditions and quite easy to match with any sperate/different fragrance too.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Here in the U.S., Caswell Massey makes fine soaps. Again, since almond is my scent of choice, I prefer the almond cold cream soap. Very good for sensitive or dry skin. Cost in the States is about $6.00 to $7.00 a bar.
    +1 This is the one I've used for many years.

There is another simple, long-established and fragrance soap from the UK called Wrights. Very nice.

Anyone else craving Nasi Goreng right now.

for swap/sale:

Vetiver & Juniper Soap (Crabtree & Evelyn)
    Verbena OR Lavande Soap (L'Occitane)

I think both these brands are in Jakarta - certainly in KL & Singapore.

Second the suggestion to see if there are any locally made Clove / Lemongrass or Vetiver soaps?

Mysore Sandal Soap is a particular favorite of mine.

Eau des Baux - L'Occitane. It smells great and it's very moisturizing (karite butter).
    Looking for split pal - Oud Ispahan and Ombre dans l'eau

I only use vintage Irish Spring.

Rum soap by Malin & Goetz
    Illipe butter soap by Atkinsons
    The Englishman, This Charming Man; both by Paintbox Soapworks (on Etsy)

Sandalwood soap by Madina or Caswell Massey....

[QUOTE=SaNielsen;2973214]Rum soap by Malin & Goetz QUOTE]

OMG....my favorite bar soap ever...not only is the fragrance great but just the qualitly of the soap itself is great...

- - - Updated - - -

Zirh body bar is also great...well the formulation from before 2008 was at least..
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

wow thank you so much for your inputs.. am so glad that you reply my questions.

@karon: yes we do have local ingredients available, but am not really sure the market would accept it well. i have done my survey on male bar soap in my country, there are only 2 .. dettol male soap in two variants. so little.
    therefor my team wants to creat a new concept for male bar soap. but we do not have any comparison. Dove released dove for men actually but only limited market.

@hedonist222: ah nasi goreng is only one of the famous food in here.. i can name a lot more than just nasi goreng.. if you go here, i'll share you the list of food you need to taste. ( anyone of this forum i mean)

Cheap organic bar from Whole Foods! Smells great too

What do people in Indonesia use if not bar soap?

In North America bar soap predominated for decades, although body wash is taking an increasing share of the market. I am surprised there is a cultural bias against bar soap in southern Asia when the Chinese are churning out boatloads of it for export. Sandalwood, rose, jasmine, and ginseng seem to be the most popular scents.

Banned
    Blog Entries

IMO, keep it simple.

Just let your fragrance speak for itself and get a scentless soap.

Ivory or Dove is fine.

The primary thing I expect from a shower is to get me clean. I use Ivory or a glycerine soap. Fragrance comes later.

I like Yardley soaps--principally the lavender. I also like Williams soap even though it is technically a "shave" soap.

people still use bar soap for sure, but they only use the beauty soap ( more feminine smell) or medicated anti bacteria soap.
    am not sure if men dont care enough to buy their own soap ( following their mom or wives's choices) or do they choose those current soaps because there are no choices for them ?

and i plan to create male bar soaps.. as i think it's a bit weird to see a good looking guy smells like rose or jasmine. i realized that we do have so many choices of spices that are so good and has not been developed into soap fragrance , so that's why am asking , what kinda smells would guys prefer when they buy soaps. ... their own soaps...

Quote Originally Posted by dampier View Post
    What do people in Indonesia use if not bar soap?

In North America bar soap predominated for decades, although body wash is taking an increasing share of the market. I am surprised there is a cultural bias against bar soap in southern Asia when the Chinese are churning out boatloads of it for export. Sandalwood, rose, jasmine, and ginseng seem to be the most popular scents.

Tamarind would be nice, or else other woody notes.

Banned
    Blog Entries

In my opinion, don't use any scented soap. Go with Ivory or Dove. They are cheap, scentless, work well and clean.

Let your fragrance speak for itself.

L'Occitane lait or verbena. Can't go wrong.

Bulgari Eau Parfumee au The Vert comes in an exceedingly high-quality soap and it's a highly economical way to wear the fragrance. There's also a white tea soap - not quite as good, but very nice nevertheless. A bit feminine, to some noses, but very, very nicely done.

Clinique bar soap is unscented and is the epitome of quality.

Honestly, most bar soap I use is Ivory, even though the texture of the bar and the packaging have been brought down to, in my opinion, banana republic standards.

Probably in the hard-to-find category would be Prada's sublimely wonderful Infusion d'Homme.

Le Labo, I believe, has soap versions of Bergamote 22 and Rose 31.

Amouage Reflection Man, probably their best fragrance, comes in bar soap and if you're in the mood to spend an insane amount of money on a bar of soap, they're ready to help you.

Lastly, and maybe least controversially, there is the old standby, Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte.

Mysore sandalwood soap.

second dr. branner's soap.

mysore sandalwood soap? what brand?

Cusson's Imperial Leather

thank you all mates.... for your big helps....

I only use shower gel but Imperial Leather seems to be popular or perhaps the classic Irish Spring.

Daily
    I use black & white soap for my face, neck and privates
    black_white_soap.jpg

I then move to black soap
    50395904-99898843.jpg

Last I shower my entire body with Axe Dark Temptation
    AXSGDARKTEMPT.jpg

My favorite gym soap is Coast
    2013-03-29-09.39.32-300x169.jpg

Which I top off with Coast shower gel
    Coast-Hydrating-with-Kelp-extract.jpg

Coast has a very nice and clean scent, I used to use it when I was dating and had many many compliments....Chic proven!!