Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Skin/health issue , anyone care?

I do not spray any cologne on my skin. No matter how expensive$$$$$$ it marks itself to be. Unless it is vegan/natural essential oil.

They are just chemicals. The ingredients say it clear. The ingredient "perfume" means what? Well, you guess...

Your skin is the biggest absorbent organ, You don't want to absorb these chemicals into your body.

No company out there would claim it is safe to put perfume on your skin, as I know of.

Well maybe they well manipulate the tradition of perfum making that it "should be safe".
    But no more it is, my dear, it is the chemical factory era now.

Default Re: Skin/health issue , anyone care?

So in other words, you just spray on your clothes?

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Yep.
    At most, I spray on my hair (sounds weird), which I believe to be least direct to my blood.

Not worried in the slightest.

Given your beliefs, perhaps this is not the hobby for you.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I respect everyone's judgement and application.
    At the end, it is a very personal choice.

Agree.

Even essential oils are, guess what, chemicals. Just not as pure with more than one chemical but from a plant source. Organic pesticides are also chemicals, some of which are more toxic than some man made chemicals. Inhalation is an extremely fast way to absorb drugs which are chemicals so you should also avoid smelling those chemicals. And if you are a strict vegan you must avoid salt because there is no organic salt which is a mineral that is mined or collected from evaporated from salt water. If I were you and were worried I would run as fast as I could away from perfumes. Scarry stuff for sure. It might kill you.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Basenotes Plus

I only get minor skin rash on neck if I frequently aim the sprayer at that area so I avoid it. I do spray on wrist, chest and have no problem. I sometimes spray on clothes and hair just like you mentioned so if it works for you, continue doing so.

The OP has a point. Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of propyls knows that many of them are not good for the body. Trying to find a toiletry product that doesn't contain them is the hard part! If the OP wants to enjoy nice fragrances, spraying on clothing seems a good option.

I should add that I cannot wear Ambra Mediterranea except on the wrists because my eyes water from the fumes many hours after application.

There are safe ways and unsafe ways to do things, I guess.
    And what is safe or not can be up to a subjective degree.

Akahina, I think you are mixing up something; vegan doesn't mean organic. Vegan simply means not consuming animals/animal products.

Karon, I understand your concerns. And as you said sensitivities are very individual. Some are aware of/worried about hormones in tab water, in cosmetics or in general; afraid of intoxication by exhaust gases, others avoid mineral oil/PEGs/chemical sunscreen on their skin, silicone/surfactants on their hair, and so on.
    Yes, the majority of people does not care about what they put in or on their bodies, where it comes from and how it affects the environment. It's a pity but this must be accepted.
    And unfortunately informative hints in this direction usually run into opposition.

I agree with Akahina that within a few seconds after you are smelling and inhaling the fragrance the chemicals are in your lungs and in your blood.
    You cannot control your own population by force, but it can be distracted by consumption.

Noam Chomsky

I live in a city full of vegans. And I have many vegan friends. I don't know a single one that does not insist on organic veggies. And I was making a point about chemicals. I am certainly not confusing "organic" with "vegan". After decades in the field I assure you I know the difference! Point is that everything we use is composed of chemicals and there is an assumption that chemicals are bad by some people that take a kernal of truth and become obsessive about it. A little knowledge can scare the crap out of people. More knowlege gives a better perspective. For me, I am not the least bit worried about using fragrances or eating any food I want to. If it were all going to kill me I would be dead by now and my Mother would not have lived to 94.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The amount of ingredient ingested through any well conditioned epidermis would be no more unsafe than inhaling it and having it ingested via the lungs. If you are bothered in that way then really wearing it any which way is equally unsafe from that point of view. I suggest you merely select your fragrance ingredients carefully before wearing them. Then it is a more considered matter. It is an important aspect from an aromatherapy angle in my own perfumery journey.

As a related topic, some people concern themselves with parabens, sulfates and pthalates. Yet, the FDA and numerous studies have found them completely safe given the amounts actually found in products combined with the length of time on the skin. While I try to be mindful of foods/products I consume, I wouldn't imagine a cologne to cause much harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragmeister View Post
    The OP has a point. Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of propyls knows that many of them are not good for the body. Trying to find a toiletry product that doesn't contain them is the hard part! If the OP wants to enjoy nice fragrances, spraying on clothing seems a good option.

I should add that I cannot wear Ambra Mediterranea except on the wrists because my eyes water from the fumes many hours after application.
    All of us have the occasional allergic reaction.

Everything in life can kill you. Anything can make you sick. Often, the substances labeled as "all natural" or "organic" are the worst offenders.

Life is nothing but a series of choices based on acceptable risk. Frankly, I'm in the camp that thinks the current regulations are far too stringent already, and that it's silly to ban substances or regulate them based on allergic reactions in very small populations. Peanuts can kill, but the solution that seems to work is simply to notify when they're being used, not to ban peanuts for the general population.

I am not worried in the slightest. If I was, I'd find another hobby to obsess over. Not meant to be a value judgment on the op -- we all decide what level of risk is acceptable.
    Current Top Five:

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    The amount of ingredient ingested through any well conditioned epidermis would be no more unsafe than inhaling it and having it ingested via the lungs. If you are bothered in that way then really wearing it any which way is equally unsafe from that point of view. I suggest you merely select your fragrance ingredients carefully before wearing them. Then it is a more considered matter. It is an important aspect from an aromatherapy angle in my own perfumery journey.
    Sorry, that can't be correct. Otherwise, why would masks need to be worn in enclosed spaces when working with chemicals that could harm us if inhaled, but without the need for gloves? Or why would glue sniffers not just rub the chemicals on their skin instead of inhaling them? Inhalation is a different form of absorption - a much more direct form than via the skin.

I do understand the OP's concerns - it crosses my mind from time to time. However, as others have pointed out, if you can smell the fragrance, you are putting them into your system also (just inhalation rather than absorption). However, you are at least avoiding the skin absorption, so that may be a good personal compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by karon View Post
    I do not spray any cologne on my skin. No matter how expensive$$$$$$ it marks itself to be. Unless it is vegan/natural essential oil.

They are just chemicals.
    If you're spraying your clothes, the chemicals are still reaching your skin. The idea that they only reach your skin if sprayed directly is 1000000000000000% false. Don't worry - I'm not being a jerk trying to make you feel foolish. I'm just making sure you're aware that spraying your clothes instead of your skin isn't the answer if you don't want those chemicals on your skin.

Perfume lovers complain when fragrances are reformulated, but it's a double-edge sword because, quite often, fragrances are reformulated in order to stop using potentially dangerous ingredients.

Now, if "chemicals" is your fear, we need to talk about other things you should be looking out for.

What kind of pots and pans do you cook with? Guess what's in the non-stick lining? I'll be the first to admit I should have moved on to a different kind of cookware years ago.

Do you ever eat canned food of any kind? You should research what's in the linings of those cans. It's not what you think.

Do you eat or drink anything that comes in plastic?

Do you use plastic wrap when you cover leftovers?

Do you use any soap, shampoo or grooming product that isn't 100% natural? Does the word "anti-bacterial" ring a bell?

WHAT'S IN YOUR TOOTHPASTE? That's a biggie. Lookie lookie at all of the chemicals in there. Sodium lauryl sulfate, in particular.

Do you know what your vegetables have been treated with?

Do you EAT OUT, or do you limit 100% of your food to that which you cook in your own garden?

Do you eat any meat products? What did those animals eat?

I could go on and on and on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Yep.
    At most, I spray on my hair (sounds weird), which I believe to be least direct to my blood.
    There's no blood in your skull or neck? How about a brain? Chemicals would effect that, right? I understand your thinking is that your hair will absorb the perfume rather than your skin, but your hair will also keep the chemicals around longer to work their way down to your skin.

Also, any airborne chemicals you smell (it's perfume, after all) are reaching your system via your mouth and nose.

I'm not criticizing your beliefs or your caution. I'm just making sure you realize that your methods are incorrect. If you don't want the chemicals in perfume in your system, the only answer is to not spray them. If that's your choice, I totally respect it, of course. But if you're afraid of the chemicals yet spray anyway... that's not good for your mental health as your just giving yourself things to worry about.

P.S. About this:

Yep.
    Like I said... that method doesn't work for protecting you... but it's excellent for holding on to fragrance in general. I know lots of women who do a spray in their hair. I use a spray to the back of my neck and back of my head. Hair can be very effective at keeping fragrance (and its chemicals) around longer.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

The moral of this story folks is that we choose to live like we want, but that doesn't always mean we are living the safest way. And these days, who's to say what's safe?

So help me understand. Breathing in these chemicals is ok but wearing them is not good for a vegan ?

Basenotes Plus

Everything in the world is made of chemicals, but it's all relative - more likely to be squished by a car before being poisoned by scent imo.
    But, fortunately, many of us have the choice to do as we please.

Used to care, now not so much. It still can influence my choice of fragrance. Do I need to spritz 20 times, or several times a day, to smell a certain fragrance? Does it smell good enough to risk the health of my precious body for it? The latter could lead to me downsizing my collection quite a bit in the future. So, yes, I'm a bit of a health worrier lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    So help me understand. Breathing in these chemicals is ok but wearing them is not good for a vegan ?
    I think he's concerned about chemicals, which makes sense, but he misunderstands how chemicals enter his body and bloodstream. Perhaps someone who snorts cocaine can explain how things that enter the body via the nose work? ...lolz.

Seriously though, Karon, you're right to be concerned about your body and your health. But it's important to know how things that may effect the body actually enter the body.

I do care but that doesn't stop me.

Your skin is not the "biggest absorbent organ". Skin is a relatively impermeable barrier. Very few chemicals are able to be absorbed through skin.
    Meanwhile, the frags you spray on your clothes are being absorbed through the mucous membranes in your mouth, nose, eyes......
    CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Fun fact - Many of the substances that IFRA is trying to restrict for health reasons are natural essential oils.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Fun fact - Many of the substances that IFRA is trying to restrict for health reasons are natural essential oils.
    Some oils have been getting rarer and way more expensive.
    I believe scent houses are replacing the oils with synthetic chemicals, so:
    -the cost is way lower; profit margin bigger
    -you smell the juice more synthetic, and so want back those vintages
    -and they can tell you they ban something in order to protect you.

For the lung absorption theory, Yes I totally agree while it is my personal choice to avoid the other route(skin) to come.
    I also believe letting the synthetic components stick on outside of clothes is 'safer' while they sparsely diffuse in the air to my lung than directly sticking on the skin.

-the cost is way lower; profit margin bigger
    -you smell the juice more synthetic, and so want back those vintages
    -and they can tell you they ban something in order to protect you.
    Sure, why go for a simple explanation when you can explain it with a convoluted conspiracy theory. I'm convinced.

Still nothing wrong if you want to spray on clothes rather than your skin. Anyone can do what you want, but I think people will take issue with the very broad generalization that synthetic = bad; natural = good, when natural chemicals can be very dangerous and synthetic chemicals can be benign.

June Russell's Health Facts
    Chemical Sensitivities and Perfume

http://www.jrussellshealth.org/chemsensperf.html

Meanwhile. It is really from case to case, I'd like to add.
    Just like some people smoke throughout their whole life and they're just fine. Hard to explain.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, why go for a simple explanation when you can explain it with a convoluted conspiracy theory. I'm convinced.

Still nothing wrong if you want to spray on clothes rather than your skin. Anyone can do what you want, but I think people will take issue with the very broad generalization that synthetic = bad; natural = good, when natural chemicals can be very dangerous and synthetic chemicals can be benign.
    I take your point, good.

Meh, even if they discover in twenty years that the perfumes I use each day are incredibly harmful, I wouldn't regret a thing.

These days there are reports/studies/testimony that suggest that everything around us is dangerous - I'm not going to avoid antiperspirants, the sun, alcohol, red meat, white pasta, moisturisers, chocolate or fragrance on the chance thay they're harmful in some way.

While I know that things like cigarettes were previously considered harmless when we now know how harmful they can be, hindsight is 20/20, and I'm not avoiding all the things I enjoy on the possibility of them causing me health problems down the line.

Meanwhile. It is really from case to case, I'd like to add.
    Just like some people smoke throughout their whole life and they're just fine. Hard to explain.

- - - Updated - - -

I take your point, good.
    Posting a link to a crazy persons website doesnt help your point. No one here wants to hear any fake science about how everything is bad for you.
    CHEAP CREED SPLITS

Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 9th May 2013 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Posting a link to a crazy persons website doesnt help your point. No one here wants to hear any fake science about how everything is bad for you.
    Oh lord, I just read some of that site.

"Instead of emphasizing a healthy, wholesome lifestyle as the best prevention against hepatitis B disease, including refraining from illicit drug use and premarital sexual intercourse..."

I apologise if this becomes controversial, but as soon as a person starts spouting that immunisation is bad, and abstinence from pre-marital sex is the way to go (and engaging in such is unwholesome and unhealthy), that's my cue to stop paying attention.

EDIT - and the ten reasons to throw out your microwave oven? Terrific!

Sorry, that can't be correct. Otherwise, why would masks need to be worn in enclosed spaces when working with chemicals that could harm us if inhaled, but without the need for gloves? Or why would glue sniffers not just rub the chemicals on their skin instead of inhaling them? Inhalation is a different form of absorption - a much more direct form than via the skin.
    I meant the perfumes

- - - Updated - - -

Fun question. How many of those IFRA bids have a direct financial connection to the aroma chemical business?
    Last edited by mumsy; 9th May 2013 at 07:26 AM.

Hey as long as it doesn't give me erectile dysfunction, I'm ok with it .

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post

"Instead of emphasizing a healthy, wholesome lifestyle as the best prevention against hepatitis B disease, including refraining from illicit drug use and premarital sexual intercourse..."

I apologise if this becomes controversial, but as soon as a person starts spouting that immunisation is bad, and abstinence from pre-marital sex is the way to go (and engaging in such is unwholesome and unhealthy), that's my cue to stop paying attention.

----I began to tell my client on the first visit that under NO circumstance were they to ever do microwaved cooking again. David Bridgman, a kinesiologist with many years experience said, “Of all the people I test for allergies, so far 99.9% show severe sensitivity to any microwaved food.” -----

Wow......
    CHEAP CREED SPLITS

----I began to tell my client on the first visit that under NO circumstance were they to ever do microwaved cooking again. David Bridgman, a kinesiologist with many years experience said, “Of all the people I test for allergies, so far 99.9% show severe sensitivity to any microwaved food.” -----

Wow......
    C'mon Heperd, how jaded and cynical are you? I mean, a kinesiologist said that! Do you need any further evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Hey as long as it doesn't give me erectile dysfunction, I'm ok with it .

Now here is a man with his priorities in line. lmao

I'll have to ask my reflexology shaman about it before i take it as fact.
    CHEAP CREED SPLITS

EPIC thread.

Am I right in thinking that aromatherapy involves the use of essential oils in a carrier oil? Yes, prolonged skin exposure to these oils is harmful.

- - - Updated - - -

I experienced the same negative response when questioning the safety of some fragrance ingredients on a lesser site. It seems people respond emotionally when their hobby is threatened. I love fragrances but I'd still like to know if it's harmful.

I'm sure I'm more likely to die from driving my car than from wearing cologne. Every pleasure in life comes with hazards and no earthly pleasure is perfect. You can sit outside to enjoy the nice weather but you should be ready for some bug bites. Eating the healthiest food in the world will still place a metabolic burden on your liver.

Cologne is no different. I'm sure it comes with some sort of minor hazard, but to me it's worth the risk.

Unfortunately we consume a lot of things ( dietary and non dietary) and we don't know how is it made and where did it come from. I don't worry about fragrances as there are things that are way more dangerous . We consume drugs( medicine) that are not well- studied and some of them were found to later cause cancer and liver problems , but most of us don't ask , because at the moment they were prescribed we felt they were going to help us. Bottom line , if I am going to worry about chemicals in fragrances, I will have to worry about other things.
    Current top choices:
    1- Portrait of A Lady
    2-Guerlain Heritage
    3- Chez Bond
    4- Amouage Dia
    5- New York oud
    6 34 st Germaine boulevard by Diptyque
    7- by killian Pure Oud
    8- coromandel by Chanel
    9- MFK lumiere Noir
    10- Clive Christian X

Blog Entries

They are just chemicals. The ingredients say it clear. The ingredient "perfume" means what? Well, you guess...

Your skin is the biggest absorbent organ, You don't want to absorb these chemicals into your body.

No company out there would claim it is safe to put perfume on your skin, as I know of.

Well maybe they well manipulate the tradition of perfum making that it "should be safe".
    But no more it is, my dear, it is the chemical factory era now.
    The Lay-person's idea of "chemicals" is a falicy. EVERYTHING is chemicals. Whatever Uber-expensive Vegan Organic food you eat or soap you use is chemicals. Nature is chemicals. PERIOD...The differentiation between naturally occurring and artificial is NONE. Methyl butanoate sounds horrible and toxic, but it is the naturally occurring chemical that makes a pineapple smell like a pineapple. It irks me when people say "I only use organic/natural things... a chemist making a citrus aromatic chemical in a lab is no different than that same chemical occurring in nature...Heck, in High school chemistry class we artificially created water by combining Hydrogen and Oxygen. Artificially...
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

I experienced the same negative response when questioning the safety of some fragrance ingredients on a lesser site. It seems people respond emotionally when their hobby is threatened. I love fragrances but I'd still like to know if it's harmful.
    I don't think people always respond emotionally to when their hobby or passion is questioned (though it definitely happens), rather the rational person requests supporting information when assertions are made. People say that if someone is going to say something exists or is true, they'd best have irrefutable evidence to back it up.

I feel my thoughts mirror exactly what Justin Case says when he writes

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I'm sure I'm more likely to die from driving my car than from wearing cologne. Every pleasure in life comes with hazards and no earthly pleasure is perfect. You can sit outside to enjoy the nice weather but you should be ready for some bug bites. Eating the healthiest food in the world will still place a metabolic burden on your liver.

Cologne is no different. I'm sure it comes with some sort of minor hazard, but to me it's worth the risk.
    We're all gonna die of something beyond our control. Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful-smelling corpse!

Life is full of compromises. It has been proven for example that calorie restriction to a certain point will give you the longest lifespan. But do I want to 'survive' on 800 calories a day and be skinny and weedy so that I can get the extra 5 years in my 90's? Or do I want 'live' on 3500 calories to be big and strong and only live to 90? I know which one I'm sticking with.

I think Bill Hicks hits the nail on the head....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXFUaqMl3fc

Blog Entries

I am working on writing a new book, part of it concerns how one can use statistics, and pseudo-science without proof to bolster any claim...children in Great Brittan DIED of measles when some idiots decided to take a pseudo-scientific claim that vaccinations cause autism and post it. Later more scientific studies showed their statistics were flawed...but too late for the poor mums and dads who's kids were dead... There are some benefits to 'all natural' but folks that ate/used all natural products 200 years ago lived to about 50 years old. People who eat/use artificial stuff, and chemical meds live to about 78 years old on average...Hmmmm....

Basenotes Plus

And those who will suffer permanent hearing damage, etc. as a result of the current outbreak.

Good luck with the book & hope it is read.

I don't think people always respond emotionally to when their hobby or passion is questioned (though it definitely happens), rather the rational person requests supporting information when assertions are made. People say that if someone is going to say something exists or is true, they'd best have irrefutable evidence to back it up.

I feel my thoughts mirror exactly what Justin Case says when he writes

We're all gonna die of something beyond our control. Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful-smelling corpse!
    I suppose the question is, how much evidence is enough, if one's heart is set on wearing fragrances anyway? I love this hobby but I'm also aware that big companies don't really care if their ingredients are harmful, so long as they sell stuff. Take the food industry, big pharma, cosmetics...

I'm more worried about that dihydrogen monoxide chemical. Deadly when inhaled as a liquid.

http://www.dhmo.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I am working on writing a new book, part of it concerns how one can use statistics, and pseudo-science without proof to bolster any claim...children in Great Brittan DIED of measles when some idiots decided to take a pseudo-scientific claim that vaccinations cause autism and post it. Later more scientific studies showed their statistics were flawed...but too late for the poor mums and dads who's kids were dead... There are some benefits to 'all natural' but folks that ate/used all natural products 200 years ago lived to about 50 years old. People who eat/use artificial stuff, and chemical meds live to about 78 years old on average...Hmmmm....
    YOU ARE A GOD AMONG MEN. This is my absolute biggest pet peeve about the human race! The anti-vaccine craziness sets me off every time it's discussed. I worked on some vaccine cases at a U.S. Federal Court about ten years ago and read all the scientific material submitted. To put it as bluntly as possible: there is NO scientific evidence that there is a link between vaccines and the adverse medical conditions supposedly tied to them. NONE. And mindless morons listen to freakin' Jenny McCarthy as if she has a PhD and don't vaccinate their kids -- who develop diseases with ever greater frequency that should long ago have been relegated to the dustbin of history.

Okay, I'll stop now. This is just an example of the anti-science movement in the U.S. (and other places) that is gaining ground. Really bothers me; science is true whether or not you happen to believe in it.
    Current Top Five:

Quote Originally Posted by impdaddee View Post
    I'm more worried about that dihydrogen monoxide chemical. Deadly when inhaled as a liquid.

http://www.dhmo.org/
    You find this stuff in baby food!
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Blog Entries

I suppose the question is, how much evidence is enough, if one's heart is set on wearing fragrances anyway? I love this hobby but I'm also aware that big companies don't really care if their ingredients are harmful, so long as they sell stuff. Take the food industry, big pharma, cosmetics...
    The opposite is quite true...with politicians taking on a nanny role in protecting us from anything and everything, the food industry, big pharma, cosmetics often have their hands tied as to what they can offer...Just look at the fragrance industry, there have been a number of ingredients disallowed or severely restricted (like oak moss) that are natural, but may cause one sensitive person in Kansas to get a rash, so no one can use it...I am sick of politicians telling me what is good for me.

Hey - One of the reasons I started using fragrances was to make sex a more likely occurrence! And given the age at which I started (wearing fragrance, that is) it would have had to have been pre-marital.

The heady mixture of microwaved food, drugs "illicit" or not, pre-marital nookie, AND oakmoss should have killed me by now. I can only speak for myself, but it seems to have been an elixir for long life.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I live in a city full of vegans. And I have many vegan friends. I don't know a single one that does not insist on organic veggies. And I was making a point about chemicals. I am certainly not confusing "organic" with "vegan". After decades in the field I assure you I know the difference! Point is that everything we use is composed of chemicals and there is an assumption that chemicals are bad by some people that take a kernal of truth and become obsessive about it. A little knowledge can scare the crap out of people. More knowlege gives a better perspective. For me, I am not the least bit worried about using fragrances or eating any food I want to. If it were all going to kill me I would be dead by now and my Mother would not have lived to 94.
    I Agree Completely.

Blog Entries

YOU ARE A GOD AMONG MEN. This is my absolute biggest pet peeve about the human race! The anti-vaccine craziness sets me off every time it's discussed. I worked on some vaccine cases at a U.S. Federal Court about ten years ago and read all the scientific material submitted. To put it as bluntly as possible: there is NO scientific evidence that there is a link between vaccines and the adverse medical conditions supposedly tied to them. NONE. And mindless morons listen to freakin' Jenny McCarthy as if she has a PhD and don't vaccinate their kids -- who develop diseases with ever greater frequency that should long ago have been relegated to the dustbin of history.

Okay, I'll stop now. This is just an example of the anti-science movement in the U.S. (and other places) that is gaining ground. Really bothers me; science is true whether or not you happen to believe in it.
    Thanks! It's amazing how people like sheep will follow total idiots spouting pseudo-scientific dribble with no proof, and believe stuff with no scientific evidence whatsoever...throwing your money away on magic crystals to take away headaches is one thing...killing your kids with ignorance is something else entirely.

Everyone has an opinion. Where are the multiple studies showing that fragrances are harmful? That should end any debate...at least as far as I'm concerned.

Human beings have used fragrances for thousands of years now. Is that not a good enough sampling?
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Thanks! It's amazing how people like sheep will follow total idiots spouting pseudo-scientific dribble with no proof, and believe stuff with no scientific evidence whatsoever...throwing your money away on magic crystals to take away headaches is one thing...killing your kids with ignorance is something else entirely.
    Instead of rotting in jail, the "Doctor" who falsified all of his data and started all of that nonsense lives here in Austin in a giant house in the hills. Crime pays.
    CHEAP CREED SPLITS

Blog Entries

Instead of rotting in jail, the "Doctor" who falsified all of his data and started all of that nonsense lives here in Austin in a giant house in the hills. Crime pays.
    (rolling my eyes...) The American Dream...to lie to people and get rich

Fun question. How many of those IFRA bids have a direct financial connection to the aroma chemical business?
    Are we talking conspiracy theories here? We all know that corporations will do anything to make money, it's their reason for existing, so we shouldn't be surprised by anything they do. Vested interests and behind the scenes manuevering. To paraphrase Joseph Heller, just because one is paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you...