Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Skin/health issue , anyone care?

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Are we talking conspiracy theories here? We all know that corporations will do anything to make money, it's their reason for existing, so we shouldn't be surprised by anything they do. Vested interests and behind the scenes manuevering. To paraphrase Joseph Heller, just because one is paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you...
    Money does talk, but IFRA has been overly hard on the industry in the past years. I get angry when regulatory industries try to tell me what is best for me. Ben Goldacre, a wonderful British scientist has shown over and over how pharmaceutical companies, the media, and other scientists take a "statistic" and twist it to meet their needs. We intelligent masses need to stop being impressed when someone says "34% of people who did such and such..." That is meaningless without seeing the data. If 23 people have a skin reaction to oak moss, out of 23 million people who used it, that is a 1-in-a-million sensitivity. Why should the industry be forced to lower it's concentration because of that?
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

To be honest my comments are a bit tongue in cheek. I think that IFRA is mainly acting with the best of intentions, but it seems to be going overboard. While I'm well aware of the dodgy things companies can and do get up to, I'm also skeptical about people who see conspiracies and nefarious motives behind everything companies (and government/regulatory bodies) do.

It's good to hear from everyone here.

I admit I know the dark side of this hobby and still can't let go. I keep sniffing

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Heck, in High school chemistry class we artificially created water by combining Hydrogen and Oxygen. Artificially...
    I think you may be misremembering.

I'm a scientist by training (first degree is in biochemistry, postgraduate degree in education) and one of the things that really gets to me is when people start equating natural with harmless, healthy or automatically positive, or when natural becomes an alternative to chemicals.

Nature is made of chemicals too. Many of them, completely naturally, are just as lethal as things made in a laboratory and organic, vegan, kosher ricin will kill you just as quickly as ricin produced under intensive farming conditions. Ditto arsenic, strychnine, cyanide, aconitum, digitalis, hemlock and hundreds of other compounds that are entirely natural and entirely deadly.

I'm currently in the middle of an allergic response to something. I don't know what, but I suspect something in my back up make up bag which is kept in the car. I have a real problem with allergies and have managed to be allergic to lactose, brewer's yeast, bland moisturiser issued by the hospital and coffee, but you know what? I have over 100 perfumes and I'm not allergic to any of them. I know that this can change at any point and that repeated exposure does not remove the risk, but it's a very good starting point and I'm much better off than I am with having a teaspoonful of cow's milk or a coffee flavoured chocolate.

If you have an ethical reason not to use an ingredient then question carefully and don't buy a scent with that ingredient, but you can't say that all fragrances are just chemicals and use that as any justification argument for any point of view. Oriflame make some pretty generic but perfectly passable fragrances that are guaranteed cruelty free, so maybe you should start there with your quest to look for vegan scents?
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Well said sfmedusa, and sympathy from a fellow allergy sufferer who has had the same experience with perfumes during many years of use.

Get out of here with your "logic" and "facts" and "evidence based practice".

So i imagine that you also dont clean your hands, because those soaps have strong chemicals. Also you may not clean you hair because nowadays shampoos are heavy on chemicals... I can say the same about the toothpaste...

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    You find this stuff in baby food!
    Something must be done about this.

OMG! IT'S IN MY BODY!! SOMETIMES IT LEAKS OUT!!!

Something on the radio today about some recent research @ Johannes Gutenberg & London King's which apparently suggests 'Nocebo effect' may be responsible for 'Electromagnetic sensitivity', but haven't had time to check it out yet - sorry if not quite on topic, but in the spirit maybe

Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    Nature is made of chemicals too. Many of them, completely naturally, are just as lethal as things made in a laboratory and organic, vegan, kosher ricin will kill you just as quickly as ricin produced under intensive farming conditions. Ditto arsenic, strychnine, cyanide, aconitum, digitalis, hemlock and hundreds of other compounds that are entirely natural and entirely deadly.

I'm currently in the middle of an allergic response to something. I don't know what, but I suspect something in my back up make up bag which is kept in the car. I have a real problem with allergies and have managed to be allergic to lactose, brewer's yeast, bland moisturiser issued by the hospital and coffee, but you know what? I have over 100 perfumes and I'm not allergic to any of them. I know that this can change at any point and that repeated exposure does not remove the risk, but it's a very good starting point and I'm much better off than I am with having a teaspoonful of cow's milk or a coffee flavoured chocolate.
    Very well said.

Blog Entries

I'm tiring of this thread...the OP borders on trolling, so I am going to unsubscribe. Sometimes I can tell when someone else is pulling my chain......
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agree.
    Totally unnecessary, inappropriate response to the OP's thread. Mind you, it's not the first time I've noticed you make such comments.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Not worried in the slightest.

Given your beliefs, perhaps this is not the hobby for you.
    Unnecessary response to the OP's harmless statement. Not very nice.

OP - in the EEC, there has been legislation regarding cosmetics to ensure that all possible allergic reactions are minimised - but no manufacturer will probably ever claim their product to be 'safe' these days as people are becoming increasingly litigious and laws are constantly altering.

I don't think that the last soy milk I bought here here had a label saying it was safe either, but I probably didn't look.

It's really up to each of us to choose how to proceed imo.

my mantra has always been.

I will not tiptoe through life to wind up at deaths door safely.

I personally do not worry so much about things like this. Stress causes more health issues than perfume would...so my advice would be not to stress over it too much (that goes for diet, etc too). Enjoy your short life. Everything in moderation. I highly doubt perfume is going to take a year off of your life. And even if it did...you wouldnt know that was the cause when you reach the end of the road anyway. But at least you will smell good when you get there!

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    OP - in the EEC, there has been legislation regarding cosmetics to ensure that all possible allergic reactions are minimised - but no manufacturer will probably ever claim their product to be 'safe' these days as people are becoming increasingly litigious and laws are constantly altering.

I don't think that the last soy milk I bought here here had a label saying it was safe either, but I probably didn't look.

It's really up to each of us to choose how to proceed imo.
    EDIT: I see you are female. haha. Disregard..but leaving up for others info. Sorry!

if you are male, I would advise against drinking soy milk or taking much soy products at all. Phytoestrogens mimic human estrogen. For men this leads to slowed metabolism, decrease testosterone level, increased bodyfat, and man boobies. In moderation it should be okay, but concentrated soy sources like soy protien suppliments and milk are no good for men. Despite there being opinions to contrary online...probably from the food industry (soy product companies), its been well known in bodybuilding for years. Soy is fine for women...but avoid it if you are a man.

Too much soy during puberty can also lead to decreased penis size...so dont give it to your children boys either. They will gain weight...slowly develop body/facial hair...slowly develop lower voice tone....increase body fat and boobies...and shrink the genitals.

Sorry for the off topic...but I know some folks dont know this.

Use almond milk or something if you insist on milk (if you are a man.)
    Last edited by str8gahbidge; 12th January 2014 at 04:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by karon View Post
    I do not spray any cologne on my skin. No matter how expensive$$$$$$ it marks itself to be. Unless it is vegan/natural essential oil.

They are just chemicals. The ingredients say it clear. The ingredient "perfume" means what? Well, you guess...

Your skin is the biggest absorbent organ, You don't want to absorb these chemicals into your body.

No company out there would claim it is safe to put perfume on your skin, as I know of.

Well maybe they well manipulate the tradition of perfum making that it "should be safe".
    But no more it is, my dear, it is the chemical factory era now.

So you don't use perfumed soap? Lotion? Bug spray or any chemicals such as medicine, sunscreen, etc?

All of these products must be tested and found safe for application to skin by government standards. That's why there are warnings on some products.

I've used perfume for years and not had any ill effects as have countless others for countless years. This is a moot point but you're free to waste your fumes as you see fit.