Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Longevity vs touch-ups

Very raw beginner question, I think... I find myself not caring much about projection, sillage, or longevity. What I care about is that the fragrance smell really good. When it comes to projection and sillage, I actually prefer that people not smell the fragrance unless they're pretty close, and if I have to use a little more, no sweat. With longevity -- and here's where my question comes in -- I figure I can always touch-up later in the day. For example, I just applied a fragrance and am headed off to work, then I'm headed straight to a social event right after work. I know that fragrance will be very subtle by that time, so I'll just re-apply, I just have a small sprayer with some decanted fragrance in my briefcase for just such a purpose.

The question is, any reason not to? Does a mix of "dried down" and freshly-applied get weird? Obviously, I think it doesn't, since I've tried it myself a few times. Just wondering if the more-experienced think there's some kind of problem with this strategy.

Default Re: Longevity vs touch-ups

No problem non what so ever. People re-apply all the time.

I sometimes will apply a fragrance with another fragrance deep in the dry down, usually of the same family. For instance I may wear Dior Homme to work and will be doing a social event right after and I will spray on some Dior Homme Intense they are similar enough, that it just blends. So re-applying the same fragrance will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Uvalde View Post
    The question is, any reason not to? Does a mix of "dried down" and freshly-applied get weird? Obviously, I think it doesn't, since I've tried it myself a few times. Just wondering if the more-experienced think there's some kind of problem with this strategy.
    Not at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do own some inexpensive fragrances that don't last all day, and I do reapply them
    BUT if I pay hundreds of dollars for a bottle of fragrance, it better darn well last me 8hrs. I RESENT having to carry an atomizer and reapply something that costs me an arm and a leg. . You use three-times a much just to make it last all day. I bought an $11 bottle of Thallium Black and 3 spritzes lasts 10 hrs. Life is too short to fool with something that I can no longer smell by the time I get to work in the morning.
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 8th May 2013 at 06:08 PM.
    For Sale: Gengis Kahn, Mona d' Orio, Penhaligons.

mihailo

I hate touch up's.
    If you need to re-apply, you may want to buy Samsara, Fracas, GIT, Aventus, Amouage......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I do own some inexpensive fragrances that don't last all day, and I do reapply them
    BUT if I pay hundreds of dollars for a bottle of fragrance, it better darn well last me 8hrs. I RESENT having to carry an atomizer and reapply something that costs me an arm and a leg. . You use three-times a much just to make it last all day. I bought an $11 bottle of Thallium Black and 3 spritzes lasts 10 hrs. Life is too short to fool with something that I can no longer smell by the time I get to work in the morning.
    Agree. I also don't really wish to drench my skin with fragrance too much.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

What I care about is that the fragrance smell really good.
    That's all that matters.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

actually, i prefer a 4 hour scent that i can apply twice over an 8 hour scent i can only apply once.

it makes it more consistent all roudn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    actually, i prefer a 4 hour scent that i can apply twice over an 8 hour scent i can only apply once.

it makes it more consistent all roudn
    Wow...That's like saying "I used to have a car that got 40 miles/gallon, but I prefer a car that only gets 5 miles/gallon so I can go to the gas station more!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...That's like saying "I used to have a car that got 40 miles/gallon, but I prefer a car that only gets 5 miles/gallon so I can go to the gas station more!!!
    I have to agree with you on that one.

Why do you prefer re-applying though, NoirDrakkar? From your wardrobe you've a lot of fragrances that last a long time. Do you still reapply something like Aventus after 4 hours?

Post Thanks / Like

I think he's being sarcastic. OP, nothing wrong with it. Some people don't like re-applying because you're overlaying a middle note or base note and starting off on top, which can effect the scent. I do it sometimes, but like others have said...if you pay a lot of money for a fragrance, you more or less expect a certain standard of longevity (at least that's my opinion.)

Quote Originally Posted by HAllen View Post
    I have to agree with you on that one.

Why do you prefer re-applying though, NoirDrakkar? From your wardrobe you've a lot of fragrances that last a long time. Do you still reapply something like Aventus after 4 hours?

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Not at all. It's like saying "I prefer the car that's twice as fat so I can do the scenic route through the beautiful countryside twice in the same time."

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I file the same with dg one, great scent but low on longevity

Post Thanks / Like

I do not reapply unless I know there is none of the scent on my skin (shower). do not want to mix eventual dry down and new applied.
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HAllen View Post
    Why do you prefer re-applying though, NoirDrakkar?
    Not NoirDrakkar, but I personally don't mind reapplying because there is no way in hell that I'm ever going to finish my bottles otherwise.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Post Thanks / Like

It's not about finishing the bottles, is it?
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Not at all. It's like saying "I prefer the car that's twice as fat so I can do the scenic route through the beautiful countryside twice in the same time."
    I guess if one has money to burn, and can afford to use twice as much juice during the same amount of time, doesn't mind having to root through a bag to find one's atomizer, find a quiet spot and reapply something then go for it. I prefer to apply in the morning, enjoy whiffs all day. The ONLY reason I can think of for a short lived fragrance is if I am going to want to wear a different frag. in the evening, and I don't want the morning frag. to linger. for a 100ml bottle of Creed Himalaya to need 8 spritzes to get me through one work day, that equates to me having to buy 4 bottles of it to get the same number of uses as my Montales that 2 spritzes last 10hours. At $300/bottle that is a waste of $1200!!!!!

I never re-apply. Drydown and top notes mixed -- nah. I suppose with linear scents it wouldn't matter so much, but I just can't be arsed anyway.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess if one has money to burn, and can afford to use twice as much juice during the same amount of time, doesn't mind having to root through a bag to find one's atomizer, find a quiet spot and reapply something then go for it. I prefer to apply in the morning, enjoy whiffs all day. The ONLY reason I can think of for a short lived fragrance is if I am going to want to wear a different frag. in the evening, and I don't want the morning frag. to linger. for a 100ml bottle of Creed Himalaya to need 8 spritzes to get me through one work day, that equates to me having to buy 4 bottles of it to get the same number of uses as my Montales that 2 spritzes last 10hours. At $300/bottle that is a waste of $1200!!!!!
    good for you. congratulations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I never re-apply. Drydown and top notes mixed -- nah. I suppose with linear scents it wouldn't matter so much, but I just can't be arsed anyway.
    i don't reapply either. although i don't concur with the dry down + top notes thing. they are mixed in the fragrance to begin with...

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Im sure as everyone has vouched for it there wont be
    any issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sapfir View Post
    It's not about finishing the bottles, is it?
    It is for me. I cannot in good conscience keep buying more without guilt if I am not finishing the bottles that I buy.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the opinions! I don't detect a problem with dry and fresh on top of each other, but wanted to see if better noses than mine felt differently. I also don't find it at all a pain to grab a little travel atomizer from my jacket pocket and do a spritz in the bathroom, so for me, it's not inconvenient at all. And there are days I just can't avoid it, like the day I referenced, when I put on some cologne at 7am, worked until 5, then went straight out ... by 7 or 8, still early in the evening, the cologne is gone

Post Thanks / Like

Good question.

It ultimately depends on several factors.

Projection strength of perfume during dry down and complexity.
    The less of the above two, the more feasible it is to reapply.

For example, Tuscan Leather and Leather both have substantially solid projections during the dry down and at the same time smell very different than the opening/mid. In the case of these two perfumes, you'll be smelling two different perfumes which may not really be very satisfactional.

Whereas citrus and soliflore based perfumes reapply with minimal variances.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I really hate the idea of having to re-apply. It just irks me. To me, it means I'll have to use more of it, and depending on which perfume it is, can be very expensive. So I unless the perfume is absolutely STUNNING, it the performance is bad I don't buy it.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly dont think there is anything wrong with touch ups. if you feel like you you need it then go for it. some fragrances dont have great performances yet you may love them. if you want to smell it all day then go for a touch up. if i do a touch up i usually just do one spray right on the neck. that does it for me. no need to do more than that IMO

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

After I fell hard for Creed's Bois de Cedrat, which has almost zero longevity, I became very well-acquainted with the fine art of touching up. Now, I carry samples of almost everything, so that I can add a little fragrance later in the day, typically after work.

I will tell you something interesting about repetitive touching up. There are days (horrible admission) when I may not take a shower in the morning, or when I only wash my hair. AND - interestingly - I've found that some fragrances, applied two days in a row, will build up certain notes in ways that distort the smell of the fragrance. Sometimes it's a very good effect - it's like the best notes get stronger. Other times, it's as if they get stranger. So just remember that repeated applications sometimes don't smell exactly like the first one.

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly, I am not into touch-ups after having applied a fragrance. However, the few times when I actually did do, there was nothing discordant, unpleasant, imbalanced etc. between the two (or more) layers of the same fragrance applied on two (or more) occasions within the same limited time, at least in my opinion.

Don't have a problem touching-up with a fragrance. Do it every once in a while with fragrances that have weak longevity.