Code of Conduct

Thread: Eight & Bob

Default Eight & Bob

Eight & Bob has such glowing reviews, but I can't help wondering if that's partly due to the story behind the fragrance, which of course may or not be true (the story being the number of samples requested by JFK, who'd asked for eight, plus one for Bob - better known as RFK. Supposedly, he received a package that said "Eight - Bob").

Frankly, I don't care about the story, or the awesome packaging, or the marketing. I'm all about scent... how it smells and how it wears.

I tried doing a search but got an error: "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." So, I ordered a sample from The Perfumed Court, but based on previous experiences with them, I'm expecting the sample sometime in... uh... June? Grr.

Do you have Eight & Bob in your collection? What are your thoughts?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Default Re: Eight & Bob

I have a good sized sample of it and have now worn it a few times. Interesting story, but I don't know or care if it's true. Honestly, the fragrance itself is very nice IMO. Sort of expensive, but very nice - and good longevity. Will be adding a full bottle to my collection this summer.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I have noticed TPC has been a little quicker - usually been shipping within just a few business days from order. For a while there, it was more like 10 days.

Basenotes Plus

I have sampled it quite a few times, and found it enjoyable. My GF thinks it is absolutely beautiful.

Have not added to my collection. I may do so next time I place an order with First in Fragrance. It is only $139 US from them, so much more price friendly.

Also received a sample from First in fragrance with a recent purchase. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    I have sampled it quite a few times, and found it enjoyable. My GF thinks it is absolutely beautiful.

Have not added to my collection. I may do so next time I place an order with First in Fragrance. It is only $139 US from them, so much more price friendly.
    It's currently €125.00 there, which is more like $165. Do they ever run sales?

It's a pleasant scent, but I get too much of a Root Beer vibe.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

I have it and like it regardless of its back story. As a prior poster mentioned, longevity is exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    It's a pleasant scent, but I get too much of a Root Beer vibe.
    Root beer? Wow. I didn't imagine that. Hopefully TPC ships my sample soon.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    It's currently €125.00 there, which is more like $165. Do they ever run sales?
    If you live in the US or outside Europe, it's actually €105.04 Euros. VAT is suppressed when shipping outside Europe. So you save more.

I have a bottle and I like it. Eight & Bob is a light pale scented wildflower kind of fragrance with a chalky dry finish to the scent. You are paying for the box, story and exclusivity of it, I think. I wore it today and noticed it was very good for spring due to its light crisp nature. They don't tell what kind of flower is used in making it - and this secretive aspect is a negative for me as I am curious about the diversity in fragrance and their secretive nature stops the curiosity at the outset. The only fragrance I have ever smelled similar to E&B is Lale by Ys Uzac which has notes of Wintersweet and osmanthus + saffron and some woods etc. Eight & Bob reminds me of Lale which I had a bottle of last spring - I recommend Lale also. Please test Eight & Bob before buying - you might not like it!

I like it and would buy it BUT I think it is way overpriced. It smells good but to me it has a sharp synthetic vibe to it.

I sampled it and it's nice but after a few wearings I got a sun cream smell. Anyone else who noticed this? For now not FBW to me.

TLS

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    You are paying for the box, story and exclusivity of it, I think.
    Couldn't have put it better myself. Had I only sampled the fragrance and heard nothing of the obtuse story and actually beautiful packaging, I don't believe I would have been as impressed with Eight & Bob as I was initially - perhaps I was just in the moment... The vanilla note in it is a bit overpowering, but combines well with the top notes for the first few moments. Altogether, it's not worth the price tag and doesn't seem to be proportioned very well.

I tested at Harvey Nicks -- the bottle is embedded in a book (as part of the packaging) If I remember correctly, it was pushing £150. Has a crisp greenish opening which is very nice but I wasn't that keen on the drydown -- slightly vegetal. I'll test again as I didn't drop for it first time.

Who cares If the story is real or not
    It's a great fragrance with superb longevity

i have a decant of it and love it. Nice citrus scent that lasts all day long. I could give two rats ass about the back story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kielecki View Post
    Who cares If the story is real or not
    It's a great fragrance with superb longevity
    This is my thinking as well. All I care about is how a fragrance smells and how it wears. Sadly, it looks like my sample still hasn't shipped yet from the Perfumed Court. I won't be surprised if it takes them another week to ship my order. Maybe longer.

I got a decant, was bored to death with it, and passed it along.