Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Inexpensive Vetiver to buy?

While I have fragrances with vetiver in it such as Terre D Hermes, Guerlain Homme, Thierry Mugler Cologne and I am sure a bunch of others, I am looking for a fragrance that has much more vetiver. I don't want to spend a lot of money so Chanel Sycomore, Dior vetiver, etc are out of the question.

The 2 vetivers that I have tested and like was Guerlain Vetiver (the last formulation) in the ribbed bottle. I almost bought in when vacationing in Bermuda. It went well with the sand and the wind blowing in from the ocean. I have tried the new Guerlain Vetiver but it seems to be drier and not as sweet and bright as the last formulation.
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire I liked a lot also but it is out of my price range.
    Encre Noir just is too heavy and dirty for me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

EDIT: I have also tried L'Occitane Vetiver and it smells good but not what I am looking for.

EDIT: I want to be able to wear it year round but it should excel in temperatures above 70F
    Last edited by gmm150; 9th May 2013 at 01:23 AM.

Default Re: Inexpensive Vetiver to buy?

Vetiver by Fragonard

Banned
    Blog Entries

azzaro's is solid

CDG Vettrivu

loccitane vetiver

Paul Smith Story
    Loccitane Eau de Vetyver

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    CDG Vettrivu
    This sounds nice. Is it a "safe" blind buy? Can you compare it to anything?

TF Grey Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    TF Grey Vetiver
    I like it but idk if I like it more than Guerlain even though they have a similar vibe.

CDG is super cheap. A clean vetiver scent. I've only tried it twice. Check some of the reviews here others have most likely worn more thoroughly.

Carven Vetiver

Chopard Noble Vetiver

Guerlain Vetiver can be had for pretty cheap over on Amazon
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

+ 1 for the new Carven; it is very nice. Also, "V" by St. Charles Shaving costs almost nothing at it is as good as many $60 and up vetivers.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Chopard Noble Vetiver
    This one is very nice.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Vetiver by Fragonard
    +1 My favorite vetiver, and remarkably inexpensive.

I also second the CDG. It's a solid, straightforward fresh vetiver. If you like vetiver, I'd say it's a safe blind buy.

cacio

CdG

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

LT Piver's Vetiver
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Encre Noir is supposed to smell similar to Sycomore

Puig Vetiver
    Royal Vetiver

Loccitane

Basenotes Plus

Strong +1 on Comme Des Garcons Vettiveru - wonderful, natural and brilliant. Read the reviews here on Basenotes and Fragrantica. I adore it - get the 500ml jug and splash it on (from a measured pour into the cap). Incredible quality for the price (and quantity)!

Another to mention - Malizia Vetyver Uomo...Italian drugstore scent with a nice, deep and lightly smoky vetiver note. Nice.

My SOTD was Encre Noire and my SOTE (after a fresh shave) is Guerlain Vetiver, 2000 formulation in the ribbed bottle, layered on Vintage Carven Vetiver After Shave (light, citric and refreshing). I also shook my bottle of Vintage Guerlain Vetiver Refreshing Body Splash and put a nice cap-full on my chest and arms...in a green cloud right now!

Enjoy the magical root...!

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by gmm150 View Post
    This sounds nice. Is it a "safe" blind buy? Can you compare it to anything?
    Last edited by ericrico; 9th May 2013 at 05:41 AM.
    ôSome perfumes are as fragrant as an infantĺs flesh, sweet as an oboeĺs cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.ö

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Encre Noir is definitely worth a try

+1 on Malizia's great, economical Vetyver

For the price I would have expected more Encre Noir recs

Noble Vetiver by Chopard.

Quote Originally Posted by Grungevig View Post
    +1 on Malizia's great, economical Vetyver
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosebud View Post

OP said he didn't like it.

for swap/sale:

I get a very nice vetiver vibe from Kenzo Woody. And if you want to go ultra cheap then you can try Beckham Homme. It has many similarities to TdH and Kenzo Woody and I just saw it at my TJ's, $13 for a 1.7oz bottle.
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Buy Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre - It's a wonderful spanish vetiver - the best I've ever tried! Beats Guerlains etc. 10-0 .
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

I have to chime in with the Vettiveru crowd, it is fantastic!
    - Mark

╔GO¤STE! ╔GO¤STE! ╔GO¤STE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    LT Piver's Vetiver
    +1 Super sexy and fairly cheap -- there is no downside

+1--->>>
    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Carven Vetiver
    Grt price and one of the under the radar vetiver frags...IMHO, th best price to value vetiver

Just buy some pure vetiver essential oil. It's relatively cheap and often more rewarding to wear than alcohol-based vetiver fragrances.

More insights here.

Lanvin Vetyver is worth a try and is reasonably priced.

Read Basenotes reviews here: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122528.html

+1 on Malizia, a nice summer vetiver. L'occitane if you want something more complex and for colder weather.

I don't really care for Tom Ford, Guerlain is better and finding a ribbed bottle shouldn't be that difficult.

If you like it, go with Guerlain Vetiver. That's the place to start.

Beyond that, staying in the inexpensive range, I'll add another suggestion for CdG Vettiveru. Fresh, honest, interesting, and surprisingly long-lasting.

Later, when your budget permits, you'll definitely want to consider Vetiver Extraordinaire, Sycomore, Givenchy Vetyver, and Route de Vetiver.

Encre noir over CDG for me. Buy it!

Encre Noire is the first thing that came to mind...then Vettrivu.

OP doesn't like Encre Noire though - "Encre Noir just is too heavy and dirty for me."

Quote Originally Posted by Nosebud View Post

Givenchy Vetyver

CDG Vettrivu its very good , longevity is also great

Would it be safer to go with Guerlain Vetiver for about $40 for 3.4 ounces? I like the last formulation. I have tried the new one on a card twice. On the card it didn't smell as clean and bright as the old one. It seemed drier but maybe it would smell different on my skin.

CDG Vettrivu is either $52 for 125ml I think and $85ish for 500ml and buy it blind. Maybe I should order a sample. CDG per ml it is really inexpensive but 80 some dollars on a blind buy is expensive though.

You could get a bottle of both for less than a hundred bucks They are different enough to own both, and both are great

Would it be safer to go with Guerlain Vetiver for about $40 for 3.4 ounces? I like the last formulation. I have tried the new one on a card twice. On the card it didn't smell as clean and bright as the old one. It seemed drier but maybe it would smell different on my skin.

CDG Vettrivu is either $52 for 125ml I think and $85ish for 500ml and buy it blind. Maybe I should order a sample. CDG per ml it is really inexpensive but 80 some dollars on a blind buy is expensive though.
    - Mark

╔GO¤STE! ╔GO¤STE! ╔GO¤STE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

$80 on a blind buy? Why not $52? Although in a splash bottle, I think 500ml is a crazy amount of cologne, at least for me lol.

$80 on a blind buy? Why not $52? Although in a splash bottle, I think 500ml is a crazy amount of cologne, at least for me lol.
    The 500ml is about $0.16 a ml. The 125ml is about $0.41 an ml. I would never ever use 500ml no matter how much I like it but their is a part of me that is saying for $30 more, I will have a lifetime supply and then some.

The nice thing about the 125ml of Vettiveru is that it comes with both a cap and a sprayer, so you can set up the bottle for splash application or spraying, depending on your preference. I already have a big enough collection that even a 50ml bottle of something I really like will last me forever, so in that context, 125ml is huge. I'm glad I have that "little" bottle of Vettiveru next to my Sycomore, Guerlain Vetiver, and Vetiver Extraordinaire (with Timbuktu and a decant of Route de Vetiver nearby).

Not exactly sure what you consider to be inexpensive, but I recommend Coeur de Vetiver Sacre by L’Artisan Parfumeur ($100/50ml bottle). It is sweet, light and refreshing- sort of a mix of fresh vetiver and iced tea. Perfect for hot weather.

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain Vetiver smells a little dated - sort of reminiscent of times gone by, or as some people put it - it smells like an old man cologne. I own it, but rarely wear it - I don't find it "all that" anymore - it really is in the "dated" pile for me now. I understand the classic and I do own many other fragrances that could be in the same category, but they have no modern counterparts so they remain all time classics to me. When it comes to vetivers though, the sky's the limit these days - there's plenty more to choose from. Some of my favorites:

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver if you'd like a very modern take on vetiver, with a semi-sweet, sharp citrus vibe. Excellent longevity (full day). Very reasonably priced, at around $100-$120 for a large bottle. It's EDP strength so that helps with longevity.

Encre Noir is a great little gem, very modern, stark, absent of any "organic" vibe, yet feeling very fresh and not synthetic. You can get a 100ml bottle for about $30-$40 online - a total steal. One of the best inexpensive blind buys for me - it could be easily sold at $200 and I'd still buy it. There's some similarity to Chanel Sycomore, but only at first glance, to an inexperienced nose. If you try these two side by side, there is a big difference between them, but I agree - there is a vague similarity, at least in the opening.

Chanel Sycomore - total classic, dry woodsy smoky vetiver. $130 for 2.5oz bottle, so not cheap, but reasonably priced, and if you have other fragrances in rotation - this is perfect size that will still last you a few years.

Givenchy Vetyver - the current formulation is a remake of an old classic, and a very good one at that. Slightly more difficult to find, but not impossible, and still reasonably priced. To me it has a similarity to Hermes Equipage, not necessarily in the scent, just in the vibe. It smells of "old money" - without smelling like "old man." Gentelmanly, proper, yet restrained. Very nice composition.

Creed Original Vetiver - there's actually very little vetiver in this one, so the name is somewhat misleading. Personally, I'd rename it to Original Neroli, as for the first 3 hours that's all I really get. In drydown it gets more woodsy/grassy, but the vetiver here is very faint. To me this is more of a clean, classic cologne, not a true vetiver scent. Still, I own it, and it is high on my list.

Sel de Vetiver - to me this one is more like Epices de Vetiver - I get a lot more than just "salt". The vetiver is definitely there, but, to me, it takes back stage. Good, but not my favorite.

Terre d'Hermes - love the scent, but this is not a vetiver fragrance to me. Yes, there is some of it in there, but the cedar, patchouli, pepper, etc, are much too strong to let the vetiver shine here. Still, I own both EDT and Pure Parfum, and wear them both frequently.

I'm in Southern California so our weather is definitely in the 70F+ range... Of the ones I listed, Grey Vetiver, Encre Noir, Sycomore and Original Vetiver work exceptionally well. Sel de Vetiver and Givenchy Vetyver - I just got these two so I need to do some testing. Surprisingly, Encre Noir also works very well in cold weather - there's something in it that gets activated in the cold that I really like - best I can describe it is that it creates a sort of "bubble" around you, rich in the scent. I really liked it in the winter, at night, when the temperatures dropped to ~50F.
    Last edited by remik; 10th May 2013 at 07:28 AM.

This is really good indeed and also pretty cheap (at least overe here and especially in Spain) though definitely not better than the Guerlain's imo. It is a very fresh, original take on vetiver but sillage and longevity are below average. A must have for any vetiver lover.

Second I'd recommend is Givenchy vetyver, but that one is not particularly cheap. Unique 3 note composition of bergamot, coriander and vetiver with almost only love on basenotes. Try to sample the Mytiques version which is excellent!

The Chopard Noble Vetiver is imo very light on vetiver (also overall) and more a fresh woody scent with a hint of vetiver to me.

Quote Originally Posted by d÷fń91 View Post
    Buy Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre - It's a wonderful spanish vetiver - the best I've ever tried! Beats Guerlains etc. 10-0 .
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Chanel: Ego´ste
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Basenotes Junkie

CDG Vettrivu
    This - a great vetiver scent that's cheap as chips. I don't use mine often, for some reason - but it's very good.

If you can find it, Malazia Uomo is the cheapest one I regularly come across - though don't wear it on any trip to Italy, it's like their version of Brut or Old Spice.

Otherwise, just look out for scent specials in shops or the internet on vetiver scents.
    Regards,
    Renato

@Malizia@

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    If you can find it, Malazia Uomo
    Renato
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Chanel: Ego´ste
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Guerlain Vetiver smells a little dated - sort of reminiscent of times gone by, or as some people put it - it smells like an old man cologne. I own it, but rarely wear it - I don't find it "all that" anymore - it really is in the "dated" pile for me now. I understand the classic and I do own many other fragrances that could be in the same category, but they have no modern counterparts so they remain all time classics to me. When it comes to vetivers though, the sky's the limit these days - there's plenty more to choose from. Some of my favorites:

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver if you'd like a very modern take on vetiver, with a semi-sweet, sharp citrus vibe. Excellent longevity (full day). Very reasonably priced, at around $100-$120 for a large bottle. It's EDP strength so that helps with longevity.

Encre Noir is a great little gem, very modern, stark, absent of any "organic" vibe, yet feeling very fresh and not synthetic. You can get a 100ml bottle for about $30-$40 online - a total steal. One of the best inexpensive blind buys for me - it could be easily sold at $200 and I'd still buy it. There's some similarity to Chanel Sycomore, but only at first glance, to an inexperienced nose. If you try these two side by side, there is a big difference between them, but I agree - there is a vague similarity, at least in the opening.

Chanel Sycomore - total classic, dry woodsy smoky vetiver. $130 for 2.5oz bottle, so not cheap, but reasonably priced, and if you have other fragrances in rotation - this is perfect size that will still last you a few years.

Givenchy Vetyver - the current formulation is a remake of an old classic, and a very good one at that. Slightly more difficult to find, but not impossible, and still reasonably priced. To me it has a similarity to Hermes Equipage, not necessarily in the scent, just in the vibe. It smells of "old money" - without smelling like "old man." Gentelmanly, proper, yet restrained. Very nice composition.

Creed Original Vetiver - there's actually very little vetiver in this one, so the name is somewhat misleading. Personally, I'd rename it to Original Neroli, as for the first 3 hours that's all I really get. In drydown it gets more woodsy/grassy, but the vetiver here is very faint. To me this is more of a clean, classic cologne, not a true vetiver scent. Still, I own it, and it is high on my list.

Sel de Vetiver - to me this one is more like Epices de Vetiver - I get a lot more than just "salt". The vetiver is definitely there, but, to me, it takes back stage. Good, but not my favorite.

Terre d'Hermes - love the scent, but this is not a vetiver fragrance to me. Yes, there is some of it in there, but the cedar, patchouli, pepper, etc, are much too strong to let the vetiver shine here. Still, I own both EDT and Pure Parfum, and wear them both frequently.

I'm in Southern California so our weather is definitely in the 70F+ range... Of the ones I listed, Grey Vetiver, Encre Noir, Sycomore and Original Vetiver work exceptionally well. Sel de Vetiver and Givenchy Vetyver - I just got these two so I need to do some testing. Surprisingly, Encre Noir also works very well in cold weather - there's something in it that gets activated in the cold that I really like - best I can describe it is that it creates a sort of "bubble" around you, rich in the scent. I really liked it in the winter, at night, when the temperatures dropped to ~50F.
    What great reviews, thanks.

Thumbs up Re: Inexpensive Vetiver to buy?

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Looking forward to giving my Vetiverru a good workout over the summer. Easy to wear. Probably a safe blind buy if you know you like green fresh vetivers. EdC but I get decent longevity from it with a slightly heavier application (2-3 more sprays than my other CdGs). On really hot summer days I do get the urge to douse myself in it because it is so refreshing.

The 2 vetivers that I have tested and like was Guerlain Vetiver (the last formulation) in the ribbed bottle. I almost bought in when vacationing in Bermuda. It went well with the sand and the wind blowing in from the ocean. I have tried the new Guerlain Vetiver but it seems to be drier and not as sweet and bright as the last formulation.
    This is probably more a shot in the dark, as I dont fully think its what you are looking for, but I also tested the Guerlain Vetiver, the more vintage kind, and that sweetness it had, well it kind of reminded me of doublemint gum, that had been chewed for a while, I know that seems odd, but its the best way I can describe it.

On to my recommendation, the very first frag I tried with vetiver in it, is Eau Sauvage PARFUM (I always mention you must get PARFUM, its a flanker, nothing to do with the Eau Sauvage line)

THIS one is dry, but also sweet, and while its likely different than what you are looking for, it blew away the Guerlain Vetiver, not saying the note was better, just the overall composition and fragrance (to me of course)

If you can find a tester (sephora has it here in the states) do smell this one

I am looking for a fragrance that has much more vetiver.
    If you really want a fragrance with much more vetiver either get givenchy vetiver, or for an inexpensive solution with the most vetiver out there, get some good quality vetiver oil.

This. For an embarrassing price-tag of 5 euros (6 dollars) you can't get nothing better.

Using Vettiveru today and the trick, as others have noted, is to use it liberally. I'm usually a 1-2 spray kind of guy; I like my scents subtle. But with this stuff, you've gotta go heavy on the trigger to get the right effect - bright, refreshing floral-tinged grassy vetiver. Beautiful stuff, if perhaps at moments a tad synthetic, but refreshing nonetheless, and definitely a good buy for either the mega-splash or the smaller spray version.

Re: Encre, the more I wear it, the more I find that I wouldn't even characterize it as altogether dirty. It has moments of soil, no doubt, but it's also got that sharp freshness so characteristic of vetiver. Another great buy - you can easily get it @ online retailers/eBay for $40 or so. I know the OP said he doesn't like it, but it might be worth sampling again a few times.

Where are you seeing this for 6 dollars? I can't find it anywhere...?

Donimo

Quote Originally Posted by AndrŔ Moreau View Post
    This. For an embarrassing price-tag of 5 euros (6 dollars) you can't get nothing better.

wearing vetiver dance this morning. it's very special high quality juice.