Code of Conduct

Default Thinking about getting my dad Green Irish Tweed for father's day

Hi all, I know it's a few weeks away but I'm thinking about getting GIT for my dad. His preferences are a little hard for me to read. He won't talk about what he likes. I know he hates Fan di Fendi, but he did use up almost all of the Le Male I got him for his birthday. Do you think I should just get a sample and see how he likes it? Any other recs out there. He's in his mid 50's and basically what I can tell is he doesn't like the sweet stuff. He also bought Gucci by Gucci (I honestly have no idea what it smells like, I sprayed it on my hand and I swear I couldn't smell it) and Bvlgari Man Extreme, but I don't know if he likes either of them. He's kind of a complex man, he might buy it, like it, and then decide he hates it 3 months later. Anyways, help please. Cheers.

Default Re: Thinking about getting my dad Green Irish Tweed for father's day

I think Green Irish Tweed would be an excellent choice.

great choice!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I think Green Irish Tweed would be an excellent choice.
    So do I. It smells good and is likable, has a well balanced sillage/projection/longevity ratio and has a nice bottle.
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Pretty much the perfect choice for any dad of any age.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Very safe and good choice. Geurlain l homme ids also a very good option imo.

Sorry to disagree. GIT to me is too synthetic and definitely not suitable for an older gentleman.

I was thinking more of a pair of socks for mine or a new shaving bowl.

He should enjoy GIT.

Banned

Its a safe scent. go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I was thinking more of a pair of socks for mine or a new shaving bowl.
    Getting my old man an iPad. Just bought an iPad mini for Mom's Day. It's the perfect parents/grandparents computer. No more tech support from us, why their Windows PCs and netbooks aren't working.

Fragrance is pretty personal, you never really know how someone will react to a new scent. I know everyone here loves GIT, but I strongly dislike it. At $100+ for a bottle, I'd be sure the person I'm buying for enjoys the fragrance before buying.

Get him something you KNOW he will enjoy. Even if it's another replenishment of Le Male or something different all together.

I think GIT is about the safest choice you could make - but I am always opposed to buying fragrance for someone else - unless it is a flavor they specifically ask for. Scent is such a personal thing. I would recommend you get him something else, but give him a sample of GIT (and maybe some other samples also) with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
    Getting my old man an iPad. Just bought an iPad mini for Mom's Day. It's the perfect parents/grandparents computer. No more tech support from us, why their Windows PCs and netbooks aren't working.
    Blimey -- I thought a bottle of GIT was generous enough

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I think GIT is about the safest choice you could make - but I am always opposed to buying fragrance for someone else - unless it is a flavor they specifically ask for. Scent is such a personal thing. I would recommend you get him something else, but give him a sample of GIT (and maybe some other samples also) with it.
    This is absolutely true. It's the same with blind buying. No matter what people call "safe," nothing is. And why spend over a hundred dollars for a scent he might not like? Yes, you can resell it, but it's a gift for dad, not for yourself.

Aside: my dad was a Royal Copenhagen guy. When I was a kid, my mom used to buy a little bottle of Royal Copenhagen and tell my brother and me to wrap it and give it to dad for Father's day, which we did. Dad always spent his time opening the wrapping, and acted so surprised and happy each time he opened it (even though every year he knew what it was). Makes me miss him just thinking about it. Great dad.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

A perfect gift.

Yes! I think it's a great choice, not just because of the scent but also because of that elegant bottle. Personally, I'm not a fan of GIT, but that's just because it doesn't suit my taste. It's excellent stuff and I'd definitely give it as a gift.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Its hard not to like GIT. Great fragrance. !!

Safe scent, but kind of expensive if he doesn't end up liking it...

GIT or SMW.
    Virtually the safest and easily likeable perfumes.

for swap/sale: