Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default SOTD - Thursday 9th May 2013

Morning all!

The day has dawned bright & breezy here, but heavy downpours & gales are forecast for later on, so Un Matin d'Orage seems appropriate. l'm on an unusual (for me) 9-5 shift today, hence the odd time of posting.

Have a great day, everyone!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Default Re: SOTD - Thursday 9th May 2013

Hello all. Vintage Rochas Femme pdt.
    DONNA

Prince Giancarlo by Jeanne Arthes

Good morning!
    Eau Du Contadour

Nu EDT by YSL

Have a great day!

Morning All,

Yesterday I received a parcel from an incredibly generous BNer containing all sorts of goodies. Dipped in and pulled out Habit Rouge extrait for today.

Have a great Thursday, gang.

Blog Entries

I'm going to bed with L'Artisan's Tea for Two! I'm have 90% left of my 100mL and I'm already wondering if I should seek out another bottle.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Chergui for today
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone, Donna Karan Cashmere Mist for me today.

Best to all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Wishing all you rather pleasant folk a fine Thursday. For me today it was Givenchy Les Parfums Mythiques Vetyver.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Good Morning. YSL, Opium Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    I'm going to bed with L'Artisan's Tea for Two! I'm have 90% left of my 100mL and I'm already wondering if I should seek out another bottle.
    Night night vintagepoison.

Morning everyone else!

So Terry de Gunzburg. I had read about these somewhere or other and I came across them the other day. Are they available here before other places? Crikey, wonders will never cease.

Terry de Gunzburg is the woman behind YSL's more than famous Touche Éclat and she has her own range of Cosmetics, "By Terry". Apparently her range of perfumes has been ten years in the making. I have no idea about thee perfumer/perfumers. In the collection (from memory) there is a fig with almond milk, an orange flower, a tuberose, a gardenia and an Amber, which struck me straight away as an Iris Amber, my favourite at first sniff. One of the fragrances had a dominant jasmine note too although it wasn't introduced as a jasmine. First impressions of the line are that the style of the collection is elegant, pretty, the mood fairly restrained, quietly chic perhaps. They will appeal mainly to lovers of pretty florals I think. Today I am going to try the Amber, Ombre Mercure.

Have a great day all.

Hello! Chanel No 5 Eau Première.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Apparently her range of perfumes has been ten years in the making.
    Guess that didn't leave much time for coming up with names. I mean "Terryfic Oud". Seriously ? hehehe.

Good morning all! Only 2 days til vacation and I'm a whirling dervish of lists and panic! I just have to give in to the idea that it WONT all get done. By Saturday I'll be all excited and letting go.

Today I'm testing Mauboussin by Mauboussin, sent to me by a lovely BNer. That really doesn't narrow the field at all, because so far every basenoter I've met has been lovely, and this one thread, SOTD, adds such joy to my life each and every day. I can count on lovely pictures, friendly hellos, generous gestures from one to another, compassion and genuine interest in each other's lives. Amazing really in a world where I usually hear ranting and raving most of the day. It's crazy how bent out of shape people can get over little things. If you are crying and can't sleep at night because your carpet has a flaw in it, you really need a change of perception.

Anyway, I am loving this fragrance and I'm shocked to see how reasonably priced it is. Usually if I like something, it's going to be stupid expensive ... Mona di Orio Oud, I'm scowling at you right now, you high priced hussy!!

Hope you all are having a wonderful day

Thumbs up Re: SOTD - Thursday 9th May 2013

For me today is

MAZZOLARI LUI
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Adolfo Dominguez Agua Fresca today
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Elizrj, Mauboussin is a stunner and a keeper. Also agree with you about our SotD threads with genuine interest in our day-to-day lives. And please do not fret about packing and preparations -- you will laugh about all this next week.

Foustie, I did not know that she did Scents by Terry. Anyway, thanks for putting a new name on my sniffing radar.

Drizzly and warm here. Bottega Veneta.

Basenotes Plus

Quick in and out to launch a joint celebration for two of our finest. Many congratulations to the gorgeous tdem1961 and the magnificent Roberto - post twins today

SotD is Bois 1920 Extreme.

Good morning, everyone -

I'm in Paco Rabanne Metal, 80s edt. Y'all have a great day!

Wow - tdem & Roberto landed the big 5k! Huge congrats to you both - cheers!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Quick in and out to launch a joint celebration for two of our finest. Many congratulations to the gorgeous tdem1961 and the magnificent Roberto - post twins today

SotD is Bois 1920 Extreme.

Jon
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Perfumes

Do happy

Perry Ellis M

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Good morning, everyone -

I'm in Paco Rabanne Metal, 80s edt. Y'all have a great day!

Wow - tdem & Roberto landed the big 5k! Huge congrats to you both - cheers!
    Evangeline
    Perfumes

Good morning, good smelling ones.

Mure Et Musc Extreme. Restrained pretty scent, understated simple gray dress, black pumps with the 4" heels (which on my feet is not such a big angle as you might expect, btw) I feel damn near "Classy" today. If I could get the hair under control...

Congratulations to the 5000 posts twins!

LOL @ Robin! You DO look classy.

Congratulations to Terry and Roberto.

Blog Entries

SotD - Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules (from a sample) + Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Big congrats this morning to Tdem and Roberto on their posting milestones!
    I love reading your posts each day, so please keep them coming!

Wearing Nina today.

Have a great day!

Majda Bekkali ~ Fusion Sacree Elle (sample).

Oh my, everybody is smelling cozy today...

Robin-in-Fl - if only I could whistle...Many tried to teach me, but to no avail.

And I just wanted to take this moment and imagine having tea with lilybelle and Evangeline yesterday. Pure fragrant heaven...

Starting my morning with my favorite heavy hitter - Jasmin de Nuit by TDC.

Basenotes Institution

I'm wearing this Italian fragrance called Scirocco that someone (?) gave me a half used sample of. I couldn't find any information about it online, not even a photo.

It smells soapy, slightly musky and very 'clean' and refreshing. Nice, but nothing to write home about.

lilybelle and Quarry - I thought of both of you last night. I took a bath and spritzed some Kus Kus from Bourbon French in my bath and the smell took me instantly to that day in NoLa with you gals and the whole bunch of BN'rs in that tiny little adorable shop, all to ourselves. Smelling, having tea and cake in the back patio, lounging on the chairs, flipping through the Jean Claude Ellena book, posing for photos...nice memories. I wished I could go back to that moment, it was very special.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

(((elizrj))), you are so right about some folks needing to change their perception. I think life must have been very easy on those who sicken themselves over the trivial. We are tough stock here; I think each of us has seen some truly difficult times. Which is why we're so good to each other! Thank you for your always spot on observations; we all need reminding of what a special thing we have here. And no worrying about your trip! All will be fine; now is the time to focus on all the fun you'll have! If you forget something, you'll just buy it there or make do without. But I bet you are more perfectly organized than you think!

Big hugs and congratulations to Roberto and tdem! Both of you are among our very finest BNers and I always enjoy each of your posts. You two really make coming to SotD a joy! Many more posts from you both, please!

Taking a break from the Amouage pass today to gather up my thoughts; resetting my nose in No.5 EDT. Smelly hugs to everyone!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Basenotes Plus

Big, big thanks and smooches for all your good wishes, my dears -- especially to that lovely gentleman, Jon Rodgers It's such a pleasure being here with all of you.

Speaking of lovely gentlemen - congratulations as well to our dear Roberto. What an honor to reach a posting milestone along with you xxoo
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I'm wearing this Italian fragrance called Scirocco that someone (?) gave me a half used sample of. I couldn't find any information about it online, not even a photo.

It smells soapy, slightly musky and very 'clean' and refreshing. Nice, but nothing to write home about.

lilybelle and Quarry - I thought of both of you last night. I took a bath and spritzed some Kus Kus from Bourbon French in my bath and the smell took me instantly to that day in NoLa with you gals and the whole bunch of BN'rs in that tiny little adorable shop, all to ourselves. Smelling, having tea and cake in the back patio, lounging on the chairs, flipping through the Jean Claude Ellena book, posing for photos...nice memories. I wished I could go back to that moment, it was very special.
    Mike, that was a very special time. I am so glad we had that NOLA meetup. Sending you a great big (((hug))). That's funny, I've been wanting to try Kus Kus in a bath, thank you for reminding me! I thought, "if bain de champagne is meant for a bath, then I think kus kus would be good in one, too", and then I promptly forgot all about it (sieve brain). I'm going to take out my giant bottle of Kus Kus edc and put it by the bathtub so I won't forget.

This morning I'm enjoying Jo Malone French Lime Blossom.

My warmest regards to you all.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 9th May 2013 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks for the well-wishes for mom's recovery. She's doing very well now that she's off the hydrocodone and back on good ol' Tylenol. Today they're moving her to the rehab hospital for the next 3 weeks where she can be properly fed, medicated, and forced into physical therapy twice a day. She feels *much* better and sounds better than before the surgery (when the knee pain was really sapping her).

I'm wearing the lovely En Passant today.

Jon, I hope you were able to keep the conga dancers at bay.

Sapfir and Roberto, you smell wonderful! And congrats on 5000, Roberto and tdem!

Elizrj, in case you don't have time to check in tomorrow, have a fabulous vacation!!

Hugs to all of you today -- just 'cuz

Good morning my fragrant friends. For my birthday today I'm going to wear Cathedral in flames. Have a wonderful day.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by wooznib View Post
    Good morning my fragrant friends. For my birthday today I'm going to wear Cathedral in flames. Have a wonderful day.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    Happy Birthday, Wooznib!

Many best wishes to you on your special day.

Eau de Shalimar.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Hello everyone! I am new here at BN and wanted to say hello and happy Thursday to everyone. It is sunny and beautiful where I am - we are getting sunshine after days and days of rain and clouds! Wearing LAP L'ete en Douce. Perfect for this blue sky, sunshiney day. I would love to find a good deal on a FB of this one. My little sample is not going to be around very long.

Good evening.

Parfums DelRae Bois de Paradis for me today.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Basenotes Plus

Welcome ErinK, good to have you here!

Happy Birthday, Wooznib!! Wishing you the happiest of birthdays!

Wearing Issey Miyake L'eau d'Issey for the afternoon.

Blog Entries

Evening all,

Congrats to tdem & Roberto, a very Happy Birthday to wooznib, & a big welcome to ErinK!

elizrj; thanks for another wise & beautiful post, you are so right. And have a fabulous vacation!

Those south-westerlys are blowin' hard here now, but not too much rain as yet. l'm in Stoned by Solange this evening, as it feels more like autumn here now than spring. Hard to believe l was sunbathing just a few days ago.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Jon, I hope you were able to keep the conga dancers at bay.
    More of a sedate waltz in the end

SotE - Fico di Amalfi.

Happy Birthday wooznib

Welcome ErinK
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 9th May 2013 at 05:46 PM.

Thank you everyone for the warm and kind welcomes! I wish I had joined years ago, but glad to have finally found my way here.

To all my lovely Ladies

Perfumes

Hello,

Congratulations, tdem1961 and Roberto!

Happy Birthday, Wooznib!

Welcome ErinK!

Prada Amber Pour Homme, for today.

Congrats on 5k Tdem & Roberto! My, that's quite a milestone!!

Thank you everyone for the well wishes on my vacation. I think once I'm done with work tomorrow, I'll calm down. It's just coming to grips that I cannot possibly finish everything for everyone on my list. But you are entirely right, I will rush until then and after that settle into vacation mode.

I'm still at my desk after 12 hours, but I must say, this Mauboussin has a gorgeous drydown! You are correct Twolf, I think it may be FB worthy!

Hello again!

I grabbed something I forgot I had, and I'm glad I did. It's Crabtree and Evelyn Veranda edt, in a bottle that's actually stamped "1992" on the bottom. All I recall is that this is a pretty but simple floral, and I had an impression that it might have previously bored me, but it's not boring me now. It reminds me of good soap with rich creamy lather, but it's also rather cottony, or billowy ...there's something dreamy about it, like a lazy summer day, but it doesn't lack sophistication despite its casual nature. The floral bouquet is seamlessly blended, and I would guess it includes magnolia and jasmine, probably rose and possibly honeysuckle and lilac ...and something green and tender, like ivy or clover, and maybe some soft and musky fruit, like ripe blackberries. I haven't found any listed notes as this is long-discontinued, but whatever's in there has completely charmed me ...at least for the afternoon.

Happy Birthday wooznib!

Welcome to basenotes ErinK - I hope you enjoy it here!

- - - Updated - - -

Eta: There's clearly orange blossom in this, also - a good deal of it, fresh and sweet. I'm very surprised I didn't notice it before.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Plus

Of the evening:

First impression is a very positive one.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

SOTE: Neroli Portofino

Big Congratulations to ROBERTO and tdem1961!!! Fantastic!

Happy Birthday to wooznib!!! Hope you're having a marvelous day.

And a big welcome to you, ErinK!

I'm in Andy Tauer's gorgeous Incense Rose.
    Yesterday was a 31 Rue Cambon day.
    Can't remember if I posted at all this week but Tuesday was - crimeny, I'm forgetting! Got it - Serge Lutens Boxeuses.
    And I know Monday was Givenchy Organza Indecence.... I think! Posting every day would make this easier, wouldn't it?!

Etro Dianthus. -- my decant arrived today from a delightful ebay seller in the Netherlands. Lovely.

I missed congratulating Roberto and Tdem! So congratulations (a little belatedly)! Much love to you both.

Evangeline, I love your review of a rediscovery.
    whatever's in there has completely charmed me ...at least for the afternoon.
    You are so cute. xo

Welcome ErinK!

My sota/sote was Cartier Panthère Eau Légère, which has something very 80s era ozonic/watery about it that annoys me, which I realize is why I seldom reach for it, even though it isn't as obnoxious as some marine scents, but at the same time the ingredients are very good and it is so very lovely. I'll probaby spray a little Chantilly for bedtime. That is usually what I wear to bed.

Love to everybody.

summer means fireflys

Just getting home from work ... I'm on call again and working late. I wore Traversee du Bosphore today, which was really the sweetest part of my day. Well, except for my sweet doggy's welcome home!

Happy birthday, wooznib!

Hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Finishing up the day in Floris No. 89
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Another wonderful thread, sweetest people on earth, great smelling too.

After all that talk, elizrj, Mauboussin for me this PM.